So....I ended up playing KOTOR II.

Long story as to 'how', which I'll leave for some other time....

It was a damn good game, and it had me glued to the screen for many, many hours.

However, I've gotta admit: I find my impressions of the game summed up quite accurately by the IGN article everyone was criticizing a few days ago for giving a high score and yet commenting mostly on the negatives.

I loved the game, would easily give it the same 9.3 IGN gave it.....but the ending left me kinda empty, and so now I can't help but think of the negatives I encountered more than the positives (which isn't fair, because my playing experience showed the latter to heavily outweigh the former.)

There were just too many unanswered questions, or questions with unsatisfactory answers. So now I find my victory more aggravating than fulfilling. :geek:

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

You summed up my feelings about this game perfectly, Ivan. The ending overshadowed everything I had done. I played the game 36 hours straight for it to end like this? I was incredibly frustrated and I really could not sleep - I wanted to know why Obsidian had to leave it like this. Before the end video, the things you're told seem too open... like they will never happen, and that you are doomed to wait and watch forever.

If there's no KotOR 3 or it isn't a direct sequel to 2, I'll personally boycott Lucas Arts and any game its developers have or ever will make. An extreme, but the frustration I felt was very, very real.

Oh, and, uhh, if you think I'm obsessed, I probably am. :D I've never devoted this much time to any game, and it was truly devastating for it to end the way it did. Not that I couldn't live without it, but it's going to frustrate me horribly until a new installment is announced or I know for sure the series is over.

Oh, and, uhh, if you think I'm obsessed, I probably am.  :D I've never devoted this much time to any game, and it was truly devastating for it to end the way it did. Not that I couldn't live without it, but it's going to frustrate me horribly until a new installment is announced or I know for sure the series is over.

We're in the same boat. This game has consumed all of my free time since Monday night, and (minor irritations aside) it was great until the end.

What happened? I have no idea, but like you, instead of going to sleep feeling a rush after I finished, I went to sleep feeling empty and disappointed. I wish I could say otherwise, but it's the truth. :thumbsup:

Exactly. I expected more from the ending, if not total closure then at least satisfaction. I couldn't believe it when it happened. I wasn't angry, though. Like you, I just felt like everything had just been instantly undone - more helpless than anything. For the first game, I was able to at least make up a fulfilling storyline in my head to keep me sated, but not for this. I felt it when I listened to the fates of my comrades, too - I felt like this was some sort of abandonment, and that's why I felt empty.

Yeesh. I can't believe a damn game can do this to me - all I know is that I don't want to see it end this way.

I'll live if it does, though. But this is just too depressing. Argh!

That is very disheartening to hear Ivan. There's nothing worse for me than a great story that has a disappointing or anticlimactic ending.

However weren't there supposed to be more than the 2 alignment endings? I mean more than just 1 ending for light and 1 for dark? I know it was never confirmed but if there are more than 2 endings maybe one of these will be more satisfying than the one you saw...one could only hope.

Also would you say the ending was better, worse or same as the original's ending? I realize that the endings might be disappointing for different reasons such as the original which was kinda lame in that kiddie ewok dancing sort of way and maybe the ending here is just incomplete or something to that effect (I hope not though, I hate cliffhanger endings or endings with no resolution to the story). But how would you compare the ending to that of the original?

However weren't there supposed to be more than the 2 alignment endings? I mean more than just 1 ending for light and 1 for dark? I know it was never confirmed but if there are more than 2 endings maybe one of these will be more satisfying than the one you saw...one could only hope.

There could be. I only played Light Side, as a Jedi Consular/Master. I couldn't tell you beyond the ending I played.

However, the entire ending map was anti-climatic, not just the ending itself. Too much killing, not enough explanation of what the hell was going on.

Also would you say the ending was better, worse or same as the original's ending? I realize that the endings might be disappointing for different reasons such as the original which was kinda lame in that kiddie ewok dancing sort of way and maybe the ending here is just incomplete or something to that effect (I hope not though, I hate cliffhanger endings or endings with no resolution to the story). But how would you compare the ending to that of the original?

It was definetely not kiddie Ewok dancing smiling happy people getting medals stuff, I can reassure you of that. Wouldn't have fit the mood of the rest of the game at all. It instead fits better with the second thing you mentioned; there were a billion questions I was waiting for the close of the game to answer....and they were either answered poorly or not answered at all. Moreover, some of the answers you get were a pretty obvious set-up for KOTOR III....so, in that sense, there is a bit of a cliffhanger involved.

But again, with all my disappointment at the ending, don't let that completely kill you on the game. A huge percentage of what comes before that is 24 karat gold.

The same feeling when finishing half life 2?

I was indeed thinking of comparing it to the original Half-Life. You fight for answers to your questions all through the game, wondering what's going on, why this or that is happening, who is behind it all....and in the end you're left with a sinking feeling as you realize many of your questions won't be answered before, at best, KOTOR III.

snip

Ehhh....you might want to edit most of that out. Might spoil people, and I don't want to lure people in with a 'Don't worry, no spoilers' only to have them get most of the details of the ending. :blink:

Thanks for the answers Ivan. I still have to wait till Feb to get the game but it is truly disappointing to hear the result of the game will leave such an empty impression.

Even if everything up until that point was grand, a disappointing ending will really ruin the game for me, the original had a quasi-lame ending but at least it wasn't an ending that disappointed or depressed me.

And if the ending is anywhere near what Tainted Mustard just described (And man I hope that was the DS because if that's the LS) then I'll really hate it to the point where it might not be worth it for me. I want replay value and if the endings I'll always end up with just are empty and depressing I might as well not buy the game because it will only leave me completely unsatisfied with the game.

I'm gonna have to consider this game now, a real shame since of all the games between this last summer to next this was the game I was most looking forward to.

Thanks for the reviews!

GAAAHH!

Seriously, you're going to have to either edit that post or delete it, but the mods are going to come down on this hard, and I really don't want to spoil the ending for people. :blink:

When you say instantly undone what exactly do you mean? You mean the undoing feeling you get in brood war when you fight with your favorite side as hard as you can, just to destroy them with another group. Or that empty feeling you also get in brood war when you find out that no matter what you do the entire galaxy will be destroyed by Zerg/Protoss half breeds?

Don't worry. I deleted it.

Thanks.

Phew! :blink:

Um....to tell you the truth this had the largest and worst spoiler of all.

Telling us it had a bad ending only makes some people want to wait to buy it.

It's not really a spoiler, anymore than someone saying they didn't like a certain character in KOTOR without explaining anything about why. It's just not news you wanted to hear. :blink:

But it's just my opinion, anyway. I'm sure there are people who will disagree when they actually play the game.

The feeling that your actions were meaningless, that all you could do was delay the inevitable. Or not even that, in the case of other things.

Similar, but not identical to PS:T. Hmm... without spoilers, can anyone compare the feelings you got to the ending in PS:T rather than in KotOR? If the ending evokes feelings similar to PS:T, but the game is only thirtyish hours long... I'm not sure if I want to buy this.

Eh, sorry. I was just about to go delete it now that the ones who wanted to hear it heard it.

In the future, you should probably either post in spoiler format or contact people with PM. Spoiler format goes like this:

[spoiler]This is not really a spoiler, but you can insert yours here.[/spoiler]

and if you do it without using 'code', it looks like this (highlight to read):

This is not really a spoiler, but you can insert yours here.

That way you don't have to edit your posts and people don't have to stumble on spoilers unknowingly.