How Ironic

"seeing the xbox lag brings warm feelings to my heart"

Those stupid US X-BOX owners who were arrogant shot themselves in the foot. E.G. Lord Satsan or something was like : asdfhasdofihsaoidhf you suck pc users im getting this game tomorrow while you wait till february sadhfasjlkhdfjkashdfksdf. I wonder what he thinks now. :D

There are some bugs I had when running KOTOR 1. If any of you are interested.

-1 Locking up during load times.

This was when I installed KOTOR on my secondary drive. It froze during loading. The only way I could keep it from freezing was clicking. Constantly.

-2 Crashing

Still happens. For no real reason. During key points of the game when going between to locales.

-3 Cinematic thing skipping

It slides up sometimes. When my monitor "auto adjusts". I'm too lazy to change monitors!

No other problems. Not frame rate, not anything. I'm hoping these bugs have been fixed for us. :)

Fnord.

Hmm... DesertHawk, i think you have to upgrade your video card because I ran on a system which didn't even meet requirements. Also, I think the requirements will be higher this time since they have improved the textures but the graphics engine is the same so it should run pretty much the same.

I Had a:

PIII 900Mhz W/ ASUS CUV4X Motherboard

640MB PC-133 RAM

20GB HDD

GeForce FX 5200 256MB on 4x agp

I ran smoothly on 800*600 w/ 4x aa and 4x antistropy and with frame buffer effects enabled.

Why are PC games bragging here? That is gonna bite them in the butt later on. The PC version will be buggier than the x-box version. It only makes sense since there are so many more things that can go wrong.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think my game is running on 800x600, while my desktop is running on 1024x768. I'll have to fiddle around with it. I never did try to get the best out of my game.

Specs:

508 RAM (recommended is 512, bleh.)

NVIDIA Gforce FX 5200

2.40 ghz processor

Pentium 3 processor, I believe. <_<. System specs just don't want to be found today.

I don't have much space left on drive C, but drive D is just fine on space.

Fnord.

Why are PC games bragging here? That is gonna bite them in the butt later on. The PC version will be buggier than the x-box version.  It only makes sense since there are so many more things that can go wrong.

Sure... whatever you say. I mean the X-BOX verison runs smoothly, no drops in frame rate or bugs or whatever. Hmm... yep that seems right or does it? PC versions are 99% of the time less buggy than the console counterparts and if you have evidence to the contrary post it otherwise, shut up. If you need any proof of the X-BOX's buginess, click here.

On a sidenote: DesertHawk, I dont see why you are having problems. I find the earlier builds are much more stable. I tried using the patches and it generally made things worse. However, if you have the money, I suggest you get a new video card. Go for an ATI Radeon X600 but make sure its an AGP card and not a PCI-Express because the interface is different.

The X-Boxer's have been owned severly

I would just like to take this time to call a toast to PC users and our superior processor speed :D

How is that ironic?, the last game lagged during battles too.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Why are PC games bragging here? That is gonna bite them in the butt later on. The PC version will be buggier than the x-box version.  It only makes sense since there are so many more things that can go wrong.

Sure... whatever you say. I mean the X-BOX verison runs smoothly, no drops in frame rate or bugs or whatever. Hmm... yep that seems right or does it? PC versions are 99% of the time less buggy than the console counterparts and if you have evidence to the contrary post it otherwise, shut up. If you need any proof of the X-BOX's buginess, click here.

On a sidenote: DesertHawk, I dont see why you are having problems. I find the earlier builds are much more stable. I tried using the patches and it generally made things worse. However, if you have the money, I suggest you get a new video card. Go for an ATI Radeon X600 but make sure its an AGP card and not a PCI-Express because the interface is different.

Not really at first they are really buggy but than a patch fixies the problems that can be fixed without doing mases amount of work.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Spook, the amount of memory and frequency is not important for a game to run without freezes/crashes. What is important is compatibility between different parts: mainboard, chipset, video card, HD. Just one single bit not transfered correctly between all these parts (and the rate of transger is many billions per second) and your computer crashes.

In general, if the bug is freeze/crash/restart, the reason is in the hardware.

The amount of mermory usualy helps out if you have a bad video card, though frquency usualy only is limiting if you are on the low end of what cab run the game. But if your processor is a Celerion or similar lowbudget you should probably consider the low end for frequency to be a lot higher then stated.

Incompabilites between components is usualy a lesser problem if you use the big brands. The freeze/crash/restart is rather the incompability between drives for the components, and that the game developers hardly can make the game adaptable for all those nutty combinations. So do try not to mix component from different producers to much, even if you save a few bucks.

Are you serious about suggesting him to buy a Radeonx600 graphics card...? That would be a waste of money...

Fact: Officially no Radeons with the new refresh (all X600, all X700) are not produced for the AGP port...the graphic vendors still produce Radeon 9600 and some 9800 cards!

Fact: Industry sells PCI-express cards much at lower prices than AGP cards, they want to lure/force you to upgrade. Don

Guest Darth Banooby7

*the PC gamer stands victorious . . . all around him xboxes lie smoking. XBox users scream curses that they did not get to play TSL . . . As the PCer walks out onto a balcony, a giant IMAX sized plasma screen plays TSL in 6000x6024 resolution . . . the PCers chant: PC! PC! PC! . . . *

Actually, I happen to have a Geforce 5900 XT, and it's pretty old... I think I got it about a year ago, and even back then it wasn't the cream of the crop card. What pains me especially is seeing the poor thing trying to run 3DMark05 :)

With that card I could turn graphics up to 1280x1024, max detail, 4xAA/8xAF, all effects on except soft shadows (which I thought looked worse than hard shadows :() and it would run at a respectable framerate EXCEPT the places with mist/smoke. Like Dantooine Cave. Ugh. Anybody who didn't get framerate drop there with upped details must have one powerful machine. Still, it obliterates the Xbox version by a long run in terms of graphics.

I bought a new PC for an amazing deal from Dell (I know....) but the price was truly amazing. I got:

P4 3.4GHz HT Socket 775

Intel 925X Motherboard

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 533Mhz (512mb*2)

17" Dell LCD TFT Monitor

160GB Serial ATA Drive (SATA) 7200RPM

16x PCI-E GeForce 6800 GTO 256MB (Not GT, there is a difference...)

Windows XP Professional

Intel 24 bit Audio (not an Audigy but who cares?)

16X DVD-RW

16X DVD-ROM

I got this all for the amazing price of $1302 US. Agreed the Coordinator, the 9800 (NOT XT OR PRO) is a better deal than the X600 but in terms of performance, the X600 is better which is why I recommended purchasing it. Its not really worth spending $250 to upgrade to a PCI-Express capable motherboard so purchasing the AGP is worth it. Do not take my word alone and go and purchase this card, look on the internet DesertHawk and check what prices they have.

Actually, I happen to have a Geforce 5900 XT, and it's pretty old... I think I got it about a year ago, and even back then it wasn't the cream of the crop card. What pains me especially is seeing the poor thing trying to run 3DMark05 :p

With that card I could turn graphics up to 1280x1024, max detail, 4xAA/8xAF, all effects on except soft shadows (which I thought looked worse than hard shadows >_<) and it would run at a respectable framerate EXCEPT the places with mist/smoke. Like Dantooine Cave. Ugh. Anybody who didn't get framerate drop there with upped details must have one powerful machine. Still, it obliterates the Xbox version by a long run in terms of graphics.

Fine. I just bought me a geforce 5900xt. :p

I play in 1024x768 with 2xAA/4xAF and all effects enabled. Looks very good. Game runs very fast.

The 5900xt is just the best bargain right now. Cheap and fast. Of course I know that there are much better cards out there but they are much more expensive...and I won t upgrade until mid of 2006. Since then I ll save tons of money and then I ll buy brandnew 64bit hard+software(non linux)

Cheers.

Agreed the Coordinator, the 9800 (NOT XT OR PRO) is a better deal than the X600 but in terms of performance, the X600 is better which is why I recommended purchasing it.

Do I understand you wrong?

Right now I read out of your sentence: x600 is faster than 9800.

If you mean it, then you are wrong- Otherwise, my apologies.

Resume:

[bold]Fact:[(bold]

9800 has 8 pp, 256 bit memory-interface(pro/xt cards have higher chip/ram clockspeeds)

x600 has only 4 pp, 128 bit m-interface. (pro and xt cards have faster chip/ram clockspeed)

x700 has 8 pp. 128 bit m-interface. (xt card will NOT produced, see the new ati press realease)

x800/pro has 12 pp, 256 m-interface (xt has 16 pp, 256 m-if)

[bold]Fact:[/bold]

But... x600 and x700 cards are ONLY produced for PCI Express port ...

Only the much faster and more expensive x800 cards come for AGP *and* PCI Express).

Fact: Radeon 9800 (no pro xt) is faster than x600, almost same speed as x700, but far slower than x800. The 9800 performs better at AA/AF.

Thus if you don

The X-Boxer's have been owned severly

I would just like to take this time to call a toast to PC users and our superior processor speed :D

How is that ironic?, the last game lagged during battles too.

This was explained earlier, keep up...

And Volourn i am bragging because this reminds me of the saying, "Im fat, your ugly, at least i can diet..."

We can always get patches >_<

And refering to the slow down during battles during the last game... this also has been explained during the thread...

therefore read or fcuk off :p

TO: Coordinator

I SAID I DID NOT RECOMMEND GETTING A NEW MOTHERBOARD JUST FOR PCI-E.

Anyways, you are right about the X600 not having an AGP version. In that case, you're right a 9800Pro which is around $200US is still a good deal and can pretty much play any games out now e.g. HL2, Doom III etc.

"PC versions are 99% of the time less buggy than the console counterparts and if you have evidence to the contrary post it otherwise, shut up."

The proof is the number of patches usually needed for PC games. I have NEVER played a console game that needed a patch. I have played tons of PC games that do.

"There are just some stupid members who want to start flame wars A.K.A. Volourn so can we just end this pointless argument."

The only people who want a flame wr in this thread are those who call others stupid and tell them to shut up unprovoked. Look in the mirror before whining about others.

"We can always get patches"

true. that's an advantage of a PC. The disadvantage, however, is that PC games tend to be much buggier than console games.

"And refering to the slow down during battles during the last game... this also has been explained during the thread..."

Irrelevant. The point isn't that the x-box has no bugs; the point is that chances are the PC version will have more bugs simply because it is a PC.

Your rudeness, flaming, and trolling aside; it's a known fatc that PC games tend to be buggier because when they are tested pre release there are SO MANY different combinations it's a lot easier for the testers to miss bugs comapred to a console because a console only has one combination of aprts to check basically while a PC has almost an unlimited number. WOSERS!

It's only logical to figure that PC games are buggier which has been proven in practcie as well.

Keep up the crying; it won't change the fact that the PC version will be buggier than the x-box version. The good news is the PCers will be able to look forward to possible patches.

TO: Coordinator

I SAID I DID NOT RECOMMEND GETTING A NEW MOTHERBOARD JUST FOR PCI-E.

Anyways, you are right about the X600 not having an AGP version. In that case, you're right a 9800Pro which is around $200US is still a good deal and can pretty much play any games out now e.g. HL2, Doom III etc.

1. You we re right. You did not recommend to upgrade to PCI-express. But you recommended a x600 g-card -which is not produced for pci-e. So your recomendation would be impossible to achieve.

2. Now that is correct.

As for me,I bought a gf5900xt for low money here in europe. In the US, ati cards seem to be cheaper than in europe. So you might buy a R9800Pro. When you can get a full R9800Pro for less money than a gf5900, go buy it! Otherwise I

The proof is the number of patches usually needed for PC games. I have NEVER played a console game that needed a patch

Because consoles are unable to be patched, so when there is a bug, it is fatal. Of course, nobody told this to Obsidian evidently from the amount of problems that KotoR2 has.

Incidently, E.T. (As an example).

Game. Set. Match.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

"Because consoles are unable to be patched, so when there is a bug, it is fatal. Of course, nobody told this to Obsidian evidently from the amount of problems that KotoR2 has."

True; but it's a rarity or almost an unique situation for a console to have bugs of that magnittude.

"Incidently, E.T. (As an example)."

Exception that proves the rule.

"Game. Set. Match."

Yup. You proved my point. By and large, PC games are buggier than console games. That's a fact that anyone who even tries to be reasonable can see. The fact that PC players EXPECT at least a patch or two for their games proves this while even one bug in a console game can make a console gamer go mad says a lot because other than little twirks; consoles very rarely have bugs comparitively spekaing even after a PC game gets patches.

It's the Law of Logistical Mathematics as expalined above.

You test for one console combination. An x-box is an x-box. Period.

With a PC; the combinations are so avried that even with pretty good testing you can mess them.

Just wat. Even though x-boxers are complaining about bug problems; the bug problem here will be shallow comapred to the PC version. Just the way life works.

"PC versions are 99% of the time less buggy than the console counterparts and if you have evidence to the contrary post it otherwise, shut up."

The proof is the number of patches usually needed for PC games. I have NEVER played a console game that needed a patch. I have played tons of PC games that do.

"There are just some stupid members who want to start flame wars A.K.A. Volourn so can we just end this pointless argument."

The only people who want a flame wr in this thread are those who call others stupid and tell them to shut up unprovoked. Look in the mirror before whining about others.

"We can always get patches"

true. that's an advantage of a PC. The disadvantage, however, is that PC games tend to be much buggier than console games.

"And refering to the slow down during battles during the last game... this also has been explained during the thread..."

Irrelevant. The point isn't that the x-box has no bugs; the point is that chances are the PC version will have more bugs simply because it is a PC.

Your rudeness, flaming, and trolling aside; it's a known fatc that PC games tend to be buggier because when they are tested pre release there are SO MANY different combinations it's a lot easier for the testers to miss bugs comapred to a console because a console only has one combination of aprts to check basically while a PC has almost an unlimited number. WOSERS!

It's only logical to figure that PC games are buggier which has been proven in practcie as well.

Keep up the crying; it won't change the fact that the PC version will be buggier than the x-box version. The good news is the PCers will be able to look forward to possible patches.

Your off course deluded by preconceptions...if you ever get into the programming business then you will learn when working on a console game then if you make a mistake...the mistake stays there no matter what and even if it means the game can only be completed 50% of the time due to crashes thats acceptable...

With PC the Patches immprove on the state of these bugs to nothing...

and also you didnt answer his question...you merely gave your opinion...

"With PC the Patches immprove on the state of these bugs to nothing..."

This proves that you know less about programming PC games than I do. I ahve yet to see one PC game be completely bug free even after multiple patches.

"if you ever get into the programming business then you will learn when working on a console game then if you make a mistake...the mistake stays there no matter what and even if it means the game can only be completed 50% of the time due to crashes thats acceptable..."

And, you can't read. This is exactly what i posted. However, bugs that bad don't even come close to happening at the rate it does for PC games. Nice try though.

"and also you didnt answer his question...you merely gave your opinion..."

I only answer intelligent questions. I gave an opinion as that's all he gave as well. When he shares facts about how much more stable PC games are compared to console games than I'll return the favour.

Ok your blatantly a ignorant Console user who has as much technical knowledge of systems as an ignoramus has on quantum physics!

Im not going to spell this out for you but i am gonna do my best to explain in lamen terms...

You bring up the point of variations in the PC systems, drivers, cards everything will make the game have more chances of bugs. No. This will mean that the game on the back will have works with : <insert card names here>.

People are trained in university at computer programming "languages". Therefore when making a X-Box game or another console version then you either use a converter, which create bug's just by using them on your program, or you learn of to efficiently code in sequences using a whole new language, also creating mistakes more frequently.

PC games have bugs. Yes. But the option of having them patched does not mean that in the beginning they are less of a beta than a console version. I have known alot of games on the consoles to have far mroe fatal error's than PC's and if you take the time, or have the knowledge about Personal Computers then you will find through your own safety there will be fewrer bugs... Try installing things without virus scanners on and such other nonsense. I think you will find that there are alot of games out there 100% bug free... the only console games that ive seen that are bug free are = 0.

Well ive got more work to be getting on with "in the office". If ive left any of your contradictions out just remind me and i will be glad to argue the toss out of this all week :(