How does item crafting work?

For those of you with the game already (lucky dogs): How exactly does the item crafting feature work? Do you need to learn "recipes" for certain items, or does the game look at the component parts in your inventory and then give you a list of what you can make with them? Or is it some other mechanism completely?

i dunno if this is a spoiler?

anyways,

It gives you a list of the items you can create in the whole game, ones that are "grey" you dont' have enough skill for (you may be required 9 repair skill to make a certain item)

The items that you CAN make (have enough skill for) are highlighted in blue.

In my infinite knowlege, having no idea what i was doing, made a longsword...then i still had crafting supplies left...47 of them...so i thought i had to use all of them to make the longsword...Nope, i now have a 20 longswords in my inventory.

-hutz

anyways,

It gives you a list of the items you can create in the whole game, ones that are "grey" you dont' have enough skill for (you may be required 9 repair skill to make a certain item)

In my infinite knowlege, having no idea what i was doing, made a longsword...then i still had crafting supplies left...47 of them...so i thought i had to use all of them to make the longsword...Nope, i now have a 20 longswords in my inventory.

-hutz

you could just sell them to make money

anyways,

-hutz

you could just sell them to make money

Yeah, but you can also decompose items for their parts as well. Im not sure of the process, but Ive heard that it's possible.

What skills you need in order to craft?

I mean besides repair what other skills?

All skills except for persuade are applied to creating items.

for EX: some types of scopes require stealth skill, while others might require awareness. Some armor might require treat inj. while others require stealth.

It is a good idea to see what ech character is allowed to create by waling them up to the benches in diifferent areas (can't change char. on the Ebon Hawk).

Also don't forget to try equiping them with the various bonus giving items to boost their skills more.

To be honest without a larger list it was pretty overwhelming b/c as your skills increase NEW ITEMS will appear to create and they can require A LOT of components.

mainly you will you will use Bao-Dur for almost everything except maybe if your character has a really a treat injury skill at lab stations

Some workstations only allow you to make certain items

For example early in the game no matter what your lvl you can only make certain things.

Lightsaber stuff is what you'll really want to check alot especially if your like me with everyone except your droids and Mandalore being Jedi