my new car

J.E. Sawyer

The torque converter still saps power.

depending on the car, quite a lot in some cases...

the diff with the g35 is over 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile... nearly as much 0-60, too. even magnetic lockout converters never truly "lock" the engine to the drive-train. of course, i'd imagine there's a little slip in the best clutch as well, but not nearly as much.

of course, i just like shifting...

oh, i'm posting from CA today :( san jose, actually. van nuys tomorrow night with a quick trip to san diego wednesday.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Ah if only all cars offered a manual transmision. There are many reasons a manual is better than an automatic, fuel economy, preformance, towing, and a manual is much less expensive, it also tends to be idiot proof. What I fail to see is why larger vehicles like SUVs, vans, and large cars like a caprice or crown vic are starting to not offer manuals, I mean if some one is going to tow something it would be with those types of vehicles.(and yes where I come from I have seen people with boats bigger than the vehicle they are towing them with.

By the way JE nice car.

You can't really shift manually while holding a cell phone in one hand, a 64 oz. soda in your lap, and a hot dog in the other hand. When you combine that with watching a DVD movie and yelling at kids, we should be lucky that any attention is paid to the basic functions of driving at all.

You can't really shift manually while holding a cell phone in one hand, a 64 oz. soda in your lap, and a hot dog in the other hand.  When you combine that with watching a DVD movie and yelling at kids, we should be lucky that any attention is paid to the basic functions of driving at all.

I know it was an exageration but if both hands are full with a soda in your lap how are you stearing your automatic transmission? :ermm::p

You can't really shift manually while holding a cell phone in one hand, a 64 oz. soda in your lap, and a hot dog in the other hand.  When you combine that with watching a DVD movie and yelling at kids, we should be lucky that any attention is paid to the basic functions of driving at all.

Do I detect unreasoning prejudice against minivan drivers? Actually the point was to reduce distractions by providing space for two large dog crates. We don't own a cell phone, and I don't think I've ever had a 64 oz. drink--in my lap or elsewhere. Wouldn't mind a hot dog, though ...

Lady E.

We don't own a cell phone, and I don't think I've ever had a 64 oz. drink--in my lap or elsewhere.  Wouldn't mind a hot dog, though ...

Lady E.

Why would you want a hot dog in your lap?

...cuz a cucumber'd be too obvious???... :huh:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

"Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Myer Weiner...

:thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Ah if only all cars offered a manual transmision.  There are many reasons a manual is better than an automatic, fuel economy, preformance, towing, and a manual is much less expensive, it also tends to be idiot proof.  What I fail to see is why larger vehicles like SUVs, vans, and large cars like a caprice or crown vic are starting to not offer manuals, I mean if some one is going to tow something it would be with those types of vehicles.(and yes where I come from I have seen people with boats bigger than the vehicle they are towing them with.

By the way JE nice car.

Automatic is more practical. Of course, a manual gets better from 0-60 mph but when you have a good car it is not so important.

At the moment I think of the Jaguar S-type R. He has both, manual and automatic!

Automatic is more practical. Of course, a manual gets better from 0-60 mph but when you have a good car it is not so important.

At the moment I think of the Jaguar S-type R. He has both, manual and automatic!

Opinion. Automatic just makes it easier to drive ask J.E. if he even reallly thinks about shifting while driving, I know I really don't, but I have known how to drive a stick since I was 13. I am not talking about making manual the standard again just curious as to why it is not offered in many vehicles any more. Especially things like explorers and tahoes when it is much better suited for towing, after all S.U.V.= Sport Utility Vehicle you would think at some point in time it would have a trailer behind it.

As for the hybrid trany even Hyundai makes a car with it I am really not that impressed with it, but it is another toy for the car manufaturers to charge big money for to keep vehicles up around 20,000 and above. Also for you guys with those all wheel drive cars what kind of fuel economy do you get? I am just curiuos as awd and 4wd means less gas milage.

I know it was an exageration but if both hands are full with a soda in your lap how are you stearing your automatic transmission?  >_

Knees.

Do I detect unreasoning prejudice against minivan drivers?

The vehicles that have most often attempted to plow into my lane without signaling/looking are SUVs. Also, these individuals are frequently on cell phones.

Ah, the Jaguar S-Type R. Never before has a 400 horsepower car felt more boring. Quick acceleration, subpar handling, strong brakes, awful seats, and an automatic transmission that's smooth but not intelligent. Try entering and exiting a corner agressively with the S-Type R. It falls a good deal short of amazing.

I am not talking about making manual the standard again just curious as to why it is not offered in many vehicles any more.  Especially things like explorers and tahoes when it is much better suited for towing, after all S.U.V.= Sport Utility Vehicle you would think at some point in time it would have a trailer behind it.

Car manufacturers know full well that the vast majority of SUV owners will never tow anything. Anyone who is serious about towing would get a diesel truck with four-wheel drive capability. The only "SUVs" I really think are decent are the Mercedes-Benz G-Class and the VW Touareg TDI. Well, and Toyota Four Runners and Hummer H1s, I guess.

As for the hybrid trany even Hyundai makes a car with it I am really not that impressed with it, but it is another toy for the car manufaturers to charge big money for to keep vehicles up around 20,000 and above.  Also for you guys with those all wheel drive cars what kind of fuel economy do you get?  I am just curiuos as awd and 4wd means less gas milage.

The best "automatic" version of a manual transmission is not, in my opinion, Porsche Tiptronic, BMW Steptronic, or any other torque-converter-possessing transmission that allows user selection of gears. It's nice, but BMW's SMG-2 and SMG-3 or Maserati's Cambiocorsa transmissions are superior. They are manual transmissions with a computer-operated clutch.

My fuel economy with both my Audi and VW (quattro Torsen all-wheel drive vs. Haldex front-biased all-wheel drive) was/is worse than it was with my BMW. Then again, the power curve on my cars has also steadily increased under peak horsepower.

Knees.

Figured you would say that but that would be damn hard if you had a drink in your lap. :D

The vehicles that have most often attempted to plow into my lane without signaling/looking are SUVs. Also, these individuals are frequently on cell phones.

Heh only because their 4 wheel drive capacity let them over take the mini van as the vehicle of choice for soccer moms.

Car manufacturers know full well that the vast majority of SUV owners will never tow anything. Anyone who is serious about towing would get a diesel truck with four-wheel drive capability. The only "SUVs" I really think are decent are the Mercedes-Benz G-Class and the VW Touareg TDI. Well, and Toyota Four Runners and Hummer H1s, I guess.

I would think that would all depend on type. As I said some thing with an actual frame like an Explorer, Tahoe, and lets not forget the big diesel boys like the suburban, abd the Excursion are ideally suited to tow trailers of all types. Those I would consider a truck though. As for the luxury ones like the Benz, BMW, and the VW (I personally would love to have a Touareg) I consider those more of a truck car cross and would be surprised if they ever seen any true off road duty. As far as the Hummer if you can not get it with a Diesel it would be a waste because the big chevy motors get terrible gas milage. I have seen the 454 in a 1 ton flat bed get less than 10 mpg.

My fuel economy with both my Audi and VW (quattro Torsen all-wheel drive vs. Haldex front-biased all-wheel drive) was/is worse than it was with my BMW. Then again, the power curve on my cars has also steadily increased under peak horsepower.

Was actually wondering if you ever owned the 2wd counterpart to any of those cars to see what the difference was. I know an Explorer with actual 2wd gets 3 to 5 miles to the gallon better than one that has AWD and then lets you choose between the 2 types of 4 wheel drive.

Also I see a lot of HP guys how would you feel if I told you you could get a 400 to 500 horse turbo charged motor that would run at least 500,000 miles?

I know it was an exageration but if both hands are full with a soda in your lap how are you stearing your automatic transmission?  :lol::p

Knees.

Do I detect unreasoning prejudice against minivan drivers?

Ah, the Jaguar S-Type R. Never before has a 400 horsepower car felt more boring. Quick acceleration, subpar handling, strong brakes, awful seats, and an automatic transmission that's smooth but not intelligent. Try entering and exiting a corner agressively with the S-Type R. It falls a good deal short of amazing.

I am not talking about making manual the standard again just curious as to why it is not offered in many vehicles any more.  Especially things like explorers and tahoes when it is much better suited for towing, after all S.U.V.= Sport Utility Vehicle you would think at some point in time it would have a trailer behind it.

As for the hybrid trany even Hyundai makes a car with it I am really not that impressed with it, but it is another toy for the car manufaturers to charge big money for to keep vehicles up around 20,000 and above.  Also for you guys with those all wheel drive cars what kind of fuel economy do you get?  I am just curiuos as awd and 4wd means less gas milage.

The best "automatic" version of a manual transmission is not, in my opinion, Porsche Tiptronic, BMW Steptronic, or any other torque-converter-possessing transmission that allows user selection of gears. It's nice, but BMW's SMG-2 and SMG-3 or Maserati's Cambiocorsa transmissions are superior. They are manual transmissions with a computer-operated clutch.

What about this new Mercedes 7-tronic? or some kind of name, I am not sure anymore how it is called

As for the luxury ones like the Benz, BMW, and the VW (I personally would love to have a Touareg) I consider those more of a truck car cross and would be surprised if they ever seen any true off road duty.

The ML Mercedes SUVs (junk: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/ML500.jsp ) are not to be confused with the G Mercedes SUVs (boss: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/G55.jsp ). The G-Class SUVs are based off of the old NATO-spec Gelandwagens.

Was actually wondering if you ever owned the 2wd counterpart to any of those cars to see what the difference was.

No, I've never owned a FWD car. Gas mileage is probably worse on Torsen/quattro cars than on Haldex AWD cars because Haldex systems only drive the rear wheels when slip is detected on the front.

Also I see a lot of HP guys how would you feel if I told you you could get a 400 to 500 horse turbo charged motor that would run at least 500,000 miles?

I'd assume it was a diesel. Anyway, I'd be more concerned about the turbos than the engine itself.

What about this new Mercedes 7-tronic? or some kind of name, I am not sure anymore how it is called

It's in the new E500 and S500, and it's the best automatic transmission I've driven. It is smooth and relatively smart, but it still bogs on occasion. However, Mercedes gets around that problem in the same way they do with their automatic AMGs: gobs of low-end torque from a high displacment and/or FI engine.

You can get a manual transmission on most SUVs and trucks. Most car dealerships don't keep them on the lot, and their relatively clueless sales personnel don't know about them. They're more geared towards selling suburban assault vehicles to moms with more money than sense. If you want a Tahoe with a manual you have to go to a truck dealership, specifically one that specilializes in selling work vehicles to contractors and plumbers and such. I've seen 5 speed manual transmissions in mini-vans, you just have to know who to ask for it.

I'd assume it was a diesel. Anyway, I'd be more concerned about the turbos than the engine itself.

You got it that is one of the reasons ford is thinking about running a powerstroke in the Nascar truck series. As for the turbos well a turbo on anything can go what would you rather buy a new car or a new turbo? I Love VW because they still are putting out their lovely 4 cylinder deisel from what I hear it gets great fuel milage, the funny thing is it is taking US manufacturers a long time to the only one I have seen is ford they plan on bringing the Bronco back with a four cylinder nitrus injected deisel.

The ML Mercedes SUVs (junk: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/ML500.jsp ) are not to be confused with the G Mercedes SUVs (boss: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/G55.jsp ). The G-Class SUVs are based off of the old NATO-spec Gelandwagens.

The price alone makes that a luxury SUV no matter what the specs are just Like the Hummer.

You can get a manual transmission on most SUVs and trucks. Most car dealerships don't keep them on the lot, and their relatively clueless sales personnel don't know about them. They're more geared towards selling suburban assault vehicles to moms with more money than sense. If you want a Tahoe with a manual you have to go to a truck dealership, specifically one that specilializes in selling work vehicles to contractors and plumbers and such. I've seen 5 speed manual transmissions in mini-vans, you just have to know who to ask for it.

Grandpa while I agree with some of what you said at least about the trucks.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorers...features/specs/

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/expedition/features/specs/

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/excursion/features/specs/

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe/features/

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/features/

http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/features/

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban/features/

http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/VehicleCom...vehicle=DURANGO

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleComp...=GRAND_CHEROKEE

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleComp...vehicle=LIBERTY

You will notice though that not one of the options for any of those SUVs is any kind of manual thans save the jeep Liberty. I just think thats od considering most are built on a truck chassis and can be set up the same way a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge pickup can. I can not speak for the European SUVs because I don't really look at them considering it is quite unlikely I could afford one. The last thing I will say is that yes those manufacturers would probably build one with a manual if asked to, but at what cost to me and why should it be extra in the first place they are trucks after all.

Edit: Oh and yes I live in an area where dealers cater to not only contractors but farmers as well, and have yet to have anyone tell me there is a manual transmission option on an SUV.

I can not speak for the European SUVs because I don't really look at them considering it is quite unlikely I could afford one.

What do you mean? Are European SUV's much more expensive than domestic cars over there? I know that the Volvo XC90, the BMW X3 and the VW Touareg aren't much more expensive than normal cars over here. American cars aren't especially expensive either, but few people (except my father, who incidentally owns a Jeep) buys them.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What do you mean? Are European SUV's much more expensive than domestic cars over there? I know that the Volvo XC90, the BMW X3 and the VW Touareg aren't much more expensive than normal cars over here. American cars aren't especially expensive either, but few people (except my father, who incidentally owns a Jeep) buys them.

Base for a Touareg is 37,140, Ford Explorer XLS 27,490, Chevy TrailBlazer 5 passenger model 28,580 2wd, Dodge Durango XST 31,345, Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 26,775. While some may not think a difference of 10,000 to 6,000 isn't a lot I think most average Americans would say it is. If you have a base price for a BMW X3 please post it I had trouble finding one. :blink:

Uhm.. Oops. Yeah, in Sweden the base price for a BMW X3 is 50,000$ which is a normal price for a new SUV here. The Touareg is 60,600$ here.. :) Volvo XC90 is 57,600$. None of these prices are particularly high.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Uhm.. Oops. Yeah, in Sweden the base price for a BMW X3 is 50,000$ which is a normal price for a new SUV here. The Touareg is 60,600$ here.. :) Volvo XC90 is 57,600$. None of these prices are particularly high.

Most of those would fall into the Cadillac escalade 56,905, Lincoln navigator 50,585 range. Wish I knew what conversion rate to the Euro was. Most of the difference comes in the import taxes that the European car manufacturers are made to pay.