Ooh Unarmed Combat Viable

FFS a Lightsaber is like a sword...

Is it? I have yet to see a sword that can be used to penetrate a solid metal door several inches thick in a few seconds.

Martial Artists can fight those with a sword by getting in close... this limits the swing range a swordsman can have and then they block at the hilt... it isnt very ahrd to grasp the idea ...

Right. That is the reason why ancient armies went into battle unarmed instead of carrying swords. The undisputable superiority of the bare fist against temper steel. I advise you stop taking The Matrix as a personal combat Bible.

You are all missing the point: somebody had the 'brilliant' idea of a martial artist blocking an energy blade (not hilt, not wrists) with nothing more than bare hands and sheer strength of will. So was clearly explained in the rules and left no room for interpretation. I'll try to find the actual description of the particular ability, and post it here.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In real life i am in the county fencing team for buckinghamshire... so first of all yes a lightsaber is basically a sword except for the blade is definatly more lethal.

Secondly i have a martial artist friend who took up tai kwon do just before i took up fencing and he finds it very easy to disarm me without touching the shaft of my sword.

I have seen the matrix... nice combat animations... who said bible :huh:

if you havent had even half the experience i have with these things your comments would mean something... as it is your a 13 year old flame baiting, geta hobby or better yet, take up a skill and put what i have said to the test....

Back to you *!

Well... it turns out I myself have practiced Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years, and also did saber fencing for two years, so I know what I'm talking about. If your friend finds it very easy to disarm you it can be because of one of the following:

1.- You are a poor fencer.

2.- You are not trained in an actual effective means of disabling an enemy with a blade, but in a competition oriented sport, instead.

3.- This is the most likely possibility - you are not trying to kill your friend with your weapon, in fact you are probably even trying not to hurt him at all.

I can't think of any real example of how a blade should be used to effectively neutralize an enemy, since such martial talents are useless nowadays. However, if you can, I would suggest you watch some Kendo competitions and training sessions to realize the difference between fencing and actual sword fighting (well, not really, but it's closer to the real thing). Watching a Kendo fighter perform, it's easy to realize how slim are the chances of an unarmed figher not being quickly overwhelmed by his sword-wielding opponent.

Really, when I write something, I don't just make it up, even if that's what you are used to. No need to get personal. There is a difference between a flame bait and a reply to an absurd statement. If you don't like blunt answers, think carefully before posting.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hmm if you have done fencing or any form of sword finesse, then you would know if someone gets close enough to grab your hilt then theres not much you can do to fight back, correct.

Secondly your right i can make sure he doesnt get to my hilt by "trying to kill him" if that is even the aim of fencing. But still there are times that he does dodge a few hits and manages to start blocking my slashes and jousts at the hilt and thats enough to knock me down or perform some sort of thing that he does....not into unarmed personally.

If you have a sword / weapon like a lightsaber then of course you have the upper hand on a unarmed oponent but in the end it all comes down to skill... say in the SW universe if a Teras Kasi Master fought a padawan they would win by a landslide... if a TKM fought a Jedi Master the result would be very different.

Was tired... havent slept in 36 hours so sorry if i seem angry / flaming / personally striking

i dont know, teras kasi would be awesome, poinson immunity, hit regeneration, and much much more for only 19.95 with paid offer <_<

and if you call now well even throw in a free pair of lightsaber resistent gloves

but remember you have to call 1-800-UNA-RMED now or order online at terakasi.com :D

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

Hmm if you have done fencing or any form of sword finesse, then you would know if someone gets close enough to grab your hilt then theres not much you can do to fight back, correct.

Correct. If he gets close enough, your weapon will be a bigger problem to you than to him. On top of that, if your opponent has some grappling training, you are done for. The catch is, he needs to get close enough, which in most cases, would get him killed. Now on to the topic. Lightsabers are as swords except for two things: they can cut in any and all directions and the blade is weightless. With a weightless blade it would be near to impossible to overwhelm a swordsman by getting too close, since even a wrist gesture would be enough to sever an arm, as opposing to any blade which has weight.

If you have a sword / weapon like a lightsaber then of course you have the upper hand on a unarmed oponent but in the end it all comes down to skill... say in the SW universe if a Teras Kasi Master fought a padawan they would win by a landslide... if a TKM fought a Jedi Master the result would be very different.

That's what I thought. In fact I would see fitting that unarmed characters were given a defense bonus similar or greater to that of a Jedi, but that is a long way from bare-handedly blocking lightsabers.

Anyway, I don't know how this topic has gone off so, since I seriously doubt such a feature is going to be included. Oh well... :)

It is funny how some people have astrong opinion about using MA against melee weapon, when the real point should be melee vs ranged weapon.

Soldier 1 draw sword

Soldier 2 draw blaster

BAM! BAM! BAM! :)

Soldier 1 dead.

Realistic? Oh yes. But is it all that fun? Probably not. :(

Jedi draw light sabre

Soldier draw large shotgun like blaster with cone attack

KABAM!!! :wub:

Supprised Jedi: Eh, maybe I really can't move faster then light. Darn. :blink: (Jedi fall dead down)

Realistic? Hell yes. But is it fun? Definitly not. <_<

Let see if some people learn the lesson from this. :p

It is funny how some people have astrong opinion about using MA against melee weapon, when the real point should be melee vs ranged weapon.

Soldier 1 draw sword

Soldier 2 draw blaster

BAM!  BAM! BAM! :devil:

Soldier 1 dead.

Realistic? Oh yes. But is it all that fun? Probably not. :devil:

Jedi draw light sabre

KABAM!!! :devil:

Supprised Jedi: Eh, maybe I really can't move faster then light. Darn.  :devil:  (Jedi fall dead down)

Let see if some people learn the lesson from this. :huh:

Soldier : Pulls out blaster

Jedi : Force Crush

wave.gif

manthing2.jpg

Soldier 1 draw sword

Soldier 2 draw blaster

BAM!  BAM! BAM! o:)

Soldier 1 dead.

Jedi draw light sabre

Supprised Jedi: Eh, maybe I really can't move faster then light. Darn.  :blink:  (Jedi fall dead down)

Let see if some people learn the lesson from this. :p

Soldier : Pulls out blaster

Jedi : Force Crush

wave.gif

One that did not learn the lesson. :p

Agreed. Last time I checked though, this topic was named 'Ooh Unarmed Combat Viable'. If you want to discuss melee vs ranged, start a new topic, I'll be sure to read it. :)

Soldier 1 draw sword

Soldier 2 draw blaster

BAM!  BAM! BAM! :rolleyes:

Soldier 1 dead.

You are correct again. The problem with ranged weapons is that in KotOR they dealt ridiculous damage for the most part (gotta love that fully upgraded Baragwin heavy repeater tho :devil: ). That should be fixed in order to give ranged fighters an advantage while the melee fighter tries to close in...

Jedi draw light sabre

Supprised Jedi: Eh, maybe I really can't move faster then light. Darn.  :blink:  (Jedi fall dead down)

No one said Jedi are invincible. In fact you find a lot of clues of Jedi which got killed by non force-users throughout the game.

However I think that in those cases when the lightsaber is not enough to protect from incoming fire, the Force can be used to deflect projectiles (a la Jedi Outcast). It all depends on what the PC is thrown against.

Agreed. Last time I checked though, this topic was named 'Ooh Unarmed Combat Viable'. If you want to discuss melee vs ranged, start a new topic, I'll be sure to read it. :blink:

It was just a way to show that maybe unarmed should be viable, even if you in real world need to be really good to use it. It might not always be realistic, but it might make game more fun. :)