Weekend Programmer

More customiziblity?

Not during character generation.

-Akari

I kind of mean more generally....anything you can say?

Hm... I can't go into details on this... but let me just say that the designers did have one of the programmers add support for changing Party NPC classes via script...

Yes....

Did you manage to get the code for the focusing of force powers to work?

Can I use t3 as a coffee machine (oh god please say yes)

May I slaughter gungans? (or however its spelt)

Force crush looks to be an instant kill force power, is this so?

Erm that’s all I can think of at the moment.

Hang on, are there any unkillable characters (like calo nord in the cantina)

Do you know when the release date is? Officially it was February 2005 and now it seems that the recent trend is "Winter 2004". When is the actual release date? You guys aren't rushing the game to be released in the holidays are you?

The last batch of KotOR2 info was released I think a few weeks ago, mostly regarding Darth Sion. When is the next batch of info gonna be arriving? I am dying for more info on the NPCs that join your party.

In the tutorial T3M4 you can control T3M4 as he makes repairs to the ship. I'm not sure if it comes up again anywhere else though.

I don't have any information about the swoop races. Other than that you can jump in them now.

-Akari

Any more info on Pazaak? Like tourneys or something?

There's some more cards you can get give you a lot more options... of course, the CPU opponents might have them too. :o

One such card is a Tie Breaker card. Normally it works like the +/- 1 card from KotOR1, but it has the added advantage that if the round ends in a Tie, you win if you played that card. There's 4 other new cards with special abilities like this.

There may be a Pazaak tourny. It hasn't been decided. It's one of those lower priority things that may or may not make it into the schedule.

-Akari

Is there 3 sith lords? At least, ones we will know about.

I've been trying to think about how to answer this without it being a spoiler but I just can't come up with a way that I'm happy with. So I just can't answer that, sorry.

-Akari

Whew. Thanks for all the questions, everyone. You were sufficiently distracting. But I'm headed home now, so that's all the question answering for today. I think I'll lock and sticky this thread for reference, so it doesn't get too cluttered up. I think I'll start a thread like this each weekend day that I work. :o

-Akari

Okay, back in for another day. I'll just go ahead and re-open this topic for today, rather than making a new thread for this weekend. ;)

Moving back to the questions from where I left off...

Who is the best UT 2004 player @ Obsidian? (I'm assuming that you're one of the guys who gets involved in that)

Any chance we could set up a Obsidian vs. Obsidian forum members UT 2004 match?

Hm... that's hard to say. I'd say Adam and Anthony (both programmers) are the best two all around just from experience. They play some on their own time, I think, whereas most of us just play the game during the hour or so that we do the games around the office some evenings. As far as an arranged game goes, that might be doable. But it'd totally have to be after we're done working on KotOR2. Too busy right now to schedule something like that. ;)

-Akari

How about the musical score for KotOR II? What's your impression of it? Is it a fully classical score or more to the ambient direction?

Oh, excellent thread btw...

I haven't heard any of the new score yet. It's being worked on now.

-Akari

I've got another question:

When it come's to the storyline, it's my understanding that Obsidian's doing the writing & I'm supposing Lucasarts is responsible for approving the story?  I'm wondering if that's correct.  Does GL have any input as far as the story is concerned, or is there anyone outside of Obsidian & Lucasarts that has a say as to what happens in the story?

Also, how long did the writing process go before it was "right" and who did the research to look for inconsistencies with the rest of the SW universe?

A designer could definitely answer this all better than I could. My understanding is that GL has nothing to do with the game, really, in the sense of being actively aware of what's being done with it. But there are people at Lucas Arts that the story has to be cleared through. I'm not sure when the overall story was figured out, but the writing is still ongoing even to this day.

All the designers had to do research to make sure their stuff was consistent with the SW universe, but I think Chris Avellone makes most of the judgement calls on that sort've thing.

Keep in mind, this is a lot of speculation on my part.

-Akari

Did you manage to get the code for the focusing of force powers to work?

I'm not sure what this is referring to.

Can I use t3 as a coffee machine (oh god please say yes)

May I slaughter gungans? (or however its spelt)

Negative to both. Sorry. ;)

Force crush looks to be an instant kill force power, is this so?

I don't THINK so... I didn't implement it, but I believe that it's just an insanely high damage move. It might do enough damage to instant kill the average enemy though.

Hang on, are there any unkillable characters (like calo nord in the cantina)

No idea.

-Akari

Do you know when the release date is? Officially it was February 2005 and now it seems that the recent trend is "Winter 2004". When is the actual release date? You guys aren't rushing the game to be released in the holidays are you?

The date by which we, as in Obsidian, has to be done working on the game is not affected by the seemingly shifting release date. The date we have to be done was fixed in the contract we signed when we started the game and that date has not changed. So no, we're not rushing things to get done. We've had the same deadline from the start. ;)

As far as the release date, one of the Lucas Arts people said December at the San Diego Comicon's Star Wars Spectacular (or whatever it was called) last week. That's probably a safe bet, but we haven't been told with absolute certainty what the release date will be. I believe at this point there still isn't an 'official' release date.

The last batch of KotOR2 info was released I think a few weeks ago, mostly regarding Darth Sion. When is the next batch of info gonna be arriving? I am dying for more info on the NPCs that join your party.

No idea. ;) I hope there's some more info released soon so that we can talk about more stuff!

-Akari

Will there be more rural areas, like Dantooine or Taris?

I believe at least one planet will be like that.

Will Coruscant have rural areas too? Or will it be more urban?

Coruscant? ;) Nice try. ;)

-Akari

The date by which we, as in Obsidian, has to be done working on the game is not affected by the seemingly shifting release date.  The date we have to be done was fixed in the contract we signed when we started the game and that date has not changed.  So no, we're not rushing things to get done.  We've had the same deadline from the start. ;)

So, when is Obsidian supposed to be done with its part?

Great thread, BTW. Thank you for taking time to answer the salivating fans questions.

so akari what are you doing right now?

and also could you answer some of theses questions

1: How did revan get his robes

2: How did revan find out about the starforge

3: And will yuo be able to wear Darth Malaks robes? the one he wore on the dantooine dream i mean.

4: And finally when a enemy is wearing armor or sith robes will it look exactly the same on you? cause i was a little annoyed when I would kill a sith master that was wearing the armor and take it off his dead body don it only to have it look exactly like the sith apprentice robe and I hope darthrevans robes comes with the cape cause its just not the same with out it

oh and finally i would like to know more about you akari. How old are you how'd you find work at obsidian. when did you realize you wanted to b e a dev and what starting programs did you use u know like gamemaker or rpgmaker or something like that

Will Coruscant have rural areas too? Or will it be more urban?

Coruscant? ;) Nice try. ;)

-Akari

Dammit! They have tought you well Akari...it has been an honor trying to deceive you...

*bows and offers samurai sword*

But I shall be back, and more powerful than before.... :p

What can you turn off in the HUD?

GC: Akari has not been near the plot, and I doubt they will release some of that info in fear of fan fic writers.... :(

Coruscant?  ;)  Nice try.  ;)

-Akari

Damn! It failed Old School :(

Just to "double clear up", Kreia was never afull jedi, but was kicked out of the order, correct?

Is how the "love story" went in Kotor something you will be able to dictate to the game in K2?

Can you tell us a joinable NPC that will not be returning at all in K2?

How many bottles of water does Morgan really have?

Akari, in this thread u mentioned that the Gold/silver amoured fellow was a party member. Do u have any other info about him for us ?

Also what about hoods? Will there be an option to have them up or down? (I can't rember if this has been answered or not, if it has please remind me what the answer was) ;)

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

oh is darth sion gonna be powerful? or a wanna be tough guy like darth bandon. My gosh the battle with him was easy. I hope the battles with sion are epic like the one with malak or the type of battle where your not sure wether you'll win or lose even in the easy difficulty. The fight with malak was cool but easy if you use ur brain and think about how to make the battle easier for you. I want the battle with sion to be like a match up between darth revan and darth vader. alot of destruction and innocent people getting killed and you just dont know who would win