ABC Miniseries....The Lost

Child of Flame

EDIT: As for her crime. Don't know, but what makes me wonder most: Why did she help him (being unconcious) first getting the breathing mask. No real criminal would care at all. Maybe it was jsut a defilade.

Perhaps she was hoping that by saving him, he may speak in favour of leniency for her.

Or maybe she was afraid that blame for not doing anything to save him may get leveled against her. Or perhaps she is innocent of any crime and did what any decent person would do.

newlogo.gif

Which one would you say that is? The show hasn't given a backstory/on-the-plane scenario for every character. As far as favourite character goes, I haven't one yet. I can't help but like Dominic Monahan and Harold Perrineau.

I like the Iraqi fellow, Said. The "hero" is ok, but he's more a "hero" type than a doctor; it's almost as though he's an actor playing a doctor (like a soap opera or ER-type doctor) rather than a real one. That could very well be the case, too; I'd find it dead funny for him to admit that he's not a real doctor, but just plays one on TV.

newlogo.gif

Uhm, you know that one of those people was NOT on the plane, don't you? ;)

Interesting....very interesting....

a guess?

The crazy bald guy maybe?

That could very well be the case, too; I'd find it dead funny for him to admit that he's not a real doctor, but just plays one on TV.

"But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

It would be funny if they find and kill a group of ewoks for food.

I'm wondering if that Korean guy was trying to poison people with the raw fish. He's definitely up to something naughty. I'm waiting for his wife to snap.

I'd say my favorite guy is the Hobbit Rockstar. He's by far the best actor. I haven't learned any names except "Jack", and that's just because the chick kept screaming it.

Wait, I'd have to say my favorite guy is the dead pilot. He had the best part.

"Wait, something huge is moving around outside...let me stick my head out the window and see!"

The bald guy was explaining the game in the pilot and said "Two players, Two sides, one is light and one is dark". In the latest episode the kid said he told him a miracle happened to him. I thnk he "gets" what is going on and what he says has deep implications to teh story.

I think he is going to be the guy everyone thinks is nuts, but is dead on about whats happening.

what everyone missed the new episode?

Tell me the man in the suit didn't mess with your head

hope the show isn't showing it's cards to early

The man in the suit is the 'magic prescence' on the island is my guess. At least they showed him looking at Locke when he said he 'looked into the core of the island, and what he saw was magic' in the previews for the next episode. Hrm, divine miracles (Locke was a paraplegic before the plane crash, in a wheelchair), magic. Getting interesting. :lol:

Magic eh?

I'm not sure JJ would go the Alias "magical/mystical/yet tech laced" route again. That "rambaldie" (sp?) stuff from Alias kinda died on him.

remember, there is some large power source and lots of assorted game.

Almost sounds like someone brought a whole bunch of animals together for sport hunting or a preserve.

or Noah's Arc type ****. Sky Captain like, maybe.

Damn it. Just to early to tell. :lol:

In hindsight, Eru might have nailed the man-in-suit theory.

Is this Island the opposite of "The Sphere"?

....but then why the man eating monster? Why didn't it kill Lock? Why did he seem to like it? Why is he like freaking "Yoda", but there seems to be nothing special about him.

Remember when Lock said in the first episode "there are 2 sides, one light, one dark.."

I think that sums up whats going on. The people are just caught in between.

In hindsight, Eru might have nailed the man-in-suit theory.

That's very much the impression I got from this episode; that the ghost of Jack's father was some manifestation of the island's powers. Again, I look back to the "Id monster" concept from Forbidden Planet; it's as though the force on the island is "controlled" or given shape by the strongest fears and emotions of the people there.

What's interesting though, is that the coffin in which Jack's father should have resided, was empty. So was it a ghost or hallucination, or was the figure the actual body, animated?

Is this Island the opposite of "The Sphere"?

I saw that in the theatre, but can't remember what it was about really.

....but then why the man eating monster? Why didn't it kill Lock? Why did he seem to like it? Why is he like freaking "Yoda", but there seems to be nothing special about him.

Remember when Lock said in the first episode "there are 2 sides, one light, one dark.."

I think that sums up whats going on. The people are just caught in between.

Indeed. Again, the monster was after those who were most terrified, was it not? Lock is calm, and so not a potential victim. I suspect Lock has a clue as to what is happening, but isn't telling, almost as though he believes the rest must figure it out on their own.

newlogo.gif

What's interesting though, is that the coffin in which Jack's father should have resided, was empty. So was it a ghost or hallucination, or was the figure the actual body, animated?

Well, it couldn't have been animated, here is why: he saw his father on the beach in the water. I then disappeared in front of his eyes. It didn't run in the bushes, it just vanished.

I guess it could be animated and granted super powers, but....

You do have to wonder about the significance of the empty coffin, but I think that results in one of two things:

1. They just drop it and never address it

2. His father appears anytime he needs a guide

I saw that in the theatre, but can't remember what it was about really.

Basically it turned everyones fears into reality.

Indeed. Again, the monster was after those who were most terrified, was it not?

hmmmmm.....

But the first time it appeared it didn't go after anyone, it just came kinda close to the beach. It appeared when they were sitting and talking. Then when people were afraid, it just let. It then appeared right after it started to rain, no one seemed scared or really agitated before it came, but it didn't attack when they got scared.

The third time it chewed and spit out the pilot, who didn't seem scared for himself so much as worried about the situation. Then it chased the 3 there, they were scared, but someone had just been sliced in front of them.

Then of course it left Lock be.

So if it does go off emotions, there doesn't seem to be a clear logic to it.

I suspect Lock has a clue as to what is happening, but isn't telling, almost as though he believes the rest must figure it out on their own.

Your right, I think. He said he looked into the island and it was bbbb-u-ti-ful.

Interesting points and bits of information:

-Lock seemed to have seen something, so the monster isn't invisible. If indeed it is a monster.

-I think Locks first comment about two sides that are dark/light sums up whats going on.

-Let's not forget the polar bear in the middle of the Pacific!

-Lock appeared to want nothing more than to walk and to be able to test himself. He now can do both on the island. Maybe it was his fall that let him walk, maybe not.

-There is a large power source on the island that appears to be powering a message that says "Please someone come. The others are dead. It killed them all" that has been playing for 16 years.

- The monster did NOT eat the pilot. It just killed him. Almost a la Predator.

- Docs dad/island led him to water, saving the people.

-There WERE bodies. So I don't think that it is likely that they are in limbo or already dead or something.

Here is a post I saw on possible ideas and where they have been done before:

The island manifests the survivors' subconsciousness--saw that in Sphere and I think also in one of Ray Bradbury's short stories.

Time warp/parallel universe/alien abduction--happened in Langoliers and probably countless Star Trek episodes. I'm also going to say that the Bermuda Triangle effect can be included here too.

The survivors are on an island where freaky experiments are going on--seen something like that in Dr. Moreau. Also, the 'the island is a government coverup' theories sound really X-Filesish.

The survivors are actually dead or in some sort of limbo--I know this has been done before, but I can't recall any titles off the top of my head right now.

Can someone sum up what happened tonight?  I missed it as my dad was watching baseball.  :p

**SPOILERS**

A woman was drowning and Jack went to save her. While swimming he discovered, that "goodie-goodie" kid, trying to save the woman as well.

Since Goodie was drowning, Jack took him to shore, in hopes to save the woman on a return trip. No such luck, she died. He realized he had never spoken to her (maybe that's because she was going to die in episode 4!) Mr. Goodie was pissed and blamed Jack for trying to be the leader and thinking he was all that. It was obvious Mr. Goodie was jealous and wanted to be cool like Jack. Hurley, the fat guy and Dom (LOTR guy) told Jack they were almost out of water and decided to hide the water from the group. Locke went off to find more water.

In the mean time, distraught for not saving the girl, Jack keeps seeing the man in the suit. Of course no one else sees him. He keeps having flashbacks of being a child and disagreements with his dad. While Jack takes up noble causes, like defending his friends from bullies, despite being pummeled himself, his father insists that Jack needs to just give that up. That peopel die, things happen and just let it role. His mother, in the mean time blames Jack for not being understanding of the stresses in his father's life (his father is a chief doctor of some hospital or something). You find out that Jack was going to Australia to find his father, who seemed to be on a bender. Well it seems the man in the suit is his dad so, He goes chasing after him only to almost fall off a cliff (preview from last week). Locke of course, comes out of no where to save him.

When asked what he was doing, Jack explains he's going crazy. Locke suggests he's not going crazy, crazy people don't know they are going crazy. Instead, Locke explains that the island is magical. Locke also suggests that Jack accept the role of leader, since everyone treats him as such, despite Jack's insecurities on the matter. But first, Locke tells him, you must find what you are searching for.

So Jack goes back to looking for his dad, only to find a cave tunnel to fresh water. Along side the fresh water is plane wreckage and a coffin. See, Jack's dad died in Australia and he was trying to get his body back for a funeral and the personal closure. Feeling releived, that seems, in a twisted way were making sense, Jack opens the coffin only to discover it empty. Crap on a stick.

Back at camp, the pregnant woman fell down. In the process of taking care of her, they realize someone stole the water. Hurley finds out the Asians have water. They go to beat them up, only to find they got it from the redneck. They follow him to his secret jungle stash, in the hopes of beating him up, but he has no water either. He had traded the last of histo the Asians, but he didn't steal it. The Mr. Goodie is found trying to sneak the pregnant girl some water. So the troup realizes he stole it and decide to kick the crap out of him.

Jack returns. He tells them, "Quit fighting. We got to work together. Nobody is coming. I found some water, we'll get it next episode."

In the preview for the upcoming episode, the Asian guy gets handcuffed to some wreckage and the guy from matrix 2 tries to hit him with an axe. Don't miss it.

I love this show.

** END SPOILERS **

You do have to wonder about the significance of the empty coffin, but I think that results in one of two things:

1. They just drop it and never address it

2. His father appears anytime he needs a guide

I doubt they'd just drop it and leave it unaddressed, it seems to important. I think scenario 2 is most likely. His mother sent Jack to find his father and bring him home, and that is going to play out in some manner, I'm sure.

But the first time it appeared it didn't go after anyone, it just came kinda close to the beach. It appeared when they were sitting and talking. Then when people were afraid, it just let. It then appeared right after it started to rain, no one seemed scared or really agitated before it came, but it didn't attack when they got scared.

The third time it chewed and spit out the pilot, who didn't seem scared for himself so much as worried about the situation. Then it chased the 3 there, they were scared, but someone had just been sliced in front of them.

Then of course it left Lock be.

So if it does go off emotions, there doesn't seem to be a clear logic to it.

I'm thinking it's more of a subconscious thing, rather than a surface emotion thing. Or even a collective psyche/subconsciousness that's involved. There may be some metaphorical aspect of it as well. As you said, the pilot was chewed up and spit out, rather than eaten. Being chewed up and spit out is a common metaphor for going through some terrible trial or experience.

Your right, I think. He said he looked into the island and it was bbbb-u-ti-ful.

He looked into the eye of the island, and it was beautiful. Like looking into the eye of the monster and seeing something wonderful. Or the calm centre at the eye of a hurricane storm.

Interesting points and bits of information:

-Lock seemed to have seen something, so the monster isn't invisible. If indeed it is a monster.

He may also have seen what he wanted to see; the force may manifest depending on the individual.

-I think Locks first comment about two sides that are dark/light sums up whats going on.

Agreed. But whether the "islanders" are one of those sides, or caught in the middle, remains to be seen. There's a lot of conflict within that group, so are the two sides present in that group itself? Is that conflict the driving source of the "monster"?

-Let's not forget the polar bear in the middle of the Pacific!

Again, a possible manifestation depending on the individual involved.

-Lock appeared to want nothing more than to walk and to be able to test himself. He now can do both on the island. Maybe it was his fall that let him walk, maybe not.

As observed, Lock seems to understand more about what's going on than the others. His experiences have been positive and beneficial, while the others are more chaotic and uneasy, agitated. Lock is at ease with things, and that ease is reflected in his experiences. Again, he saw beauty in the island, not violence that the others do.

This could be the light and dark side at work. The forces of the mind... (the two sides of the brain even?) working to make sense of things or what have you.

-There is a large power source on the island that appears to be powering a message that says "Please someone come. The others are dead. It killed them all" that has been playing for 16 years.

This is intriguing. I'm curious to see what comes of this. Was that recording real, or just another manifestation?

- Docs dad/island led him to water, saving the people.

Sounds almost messianic, doesn't it? But he didn't save one woman, he saved one and let another die.

-There WERE bodies. So I don't think that it is likely that they are in limbo or already dead or something.

No, that's too cheap a trick, I think.

Here is a post I saw on possible ideas and where they have been done before:

<snipped>

I favour the subconscious manifestation theory right now. The whole show has a definite Forbidden Planet vibe to it, as I've said earlier, and the "id monster" fits really well.

The other theories are a bit weak, I think. The government conspiracy plot is possible, but I think it would be a flimsy pretense to fit together and make work, depending on too much "miraculous chance" situations and whatnot.

newlogo.gif