Horror Films

Guest Mistress

I think the last semi-scary movie I watched was the ring, but even that wasn't too bad. I just don't like movies where people turn around and there dead. Another creepy movie was Lost Highway near the start.

I thought The Ring was really boring. Had some neat visuals, but overall the movie was tedious and extremely lacking in anything coming close to scary. I haven't seen Ringu yet, though it's on my to-see-eventually list.

Lost Highway had it's moments, but again not at all creepy. David Lynch is terribly over-rated in pretty much anything he does. The only decent thing he's done is Blue Velvet.

newlogo.gif

(...)

David Lynch is terribly over-rated in pretty much anything he does. The only decent thing he's done is Blue Velvet.

you live dangerously, my friend... :( no really, if an american mainstream director stands for disturbing and irritating movies, which keep you thinking for a loong time after you've watched them, it's david lynch.

what do you dislike so much?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Guest Mistress

Personally I quite like David Lynch :) I loved Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, and I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks (I wish they'd hurry up with the season 2 boxset!!)

Hitchc*** did it best,

Everything since is merely amateurs at play...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

I recommend the film Session 9. it's an American film from 2001 with David Caruso. The creepiest film I've seen in a long time. Tragic, too. If you haven't seen this, you ought to spank yourself.

I think most "horror" movies we see now would be better characterised as "slasher" or "monster", which can be fun, but usually aren't scary. I think nowadays I prefer creepy to scary

The Exorcist was probably the last film that really scared me. The Silent Hill games are the only things that have truley scared me. The scene in the prison bathroom in SH2, when there is a loud thud against the locked stall - it wasn't a lame jump moment, it was a WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? moment. Or in SH3 where I enter a corridor to find a wheelchair tipped over with the wheel still spining, and a trail of blood leading from the the wheelchair to around the corner, like something really bad just happened. I love these games.

I recently saw Audition on TV. The feet removing scene... gah!

My favorite horror films:

------------------------------

- The Exorcist (still the best for me)

- Poltergeist 1 & 2 (the third one sucks)

- The Shining (Jack Nicholson, directed by Standley Kubrick)

- Rosemary's Baby (by Roman Polanski)

- The Sixth Sense (Horror movie for children )

- From Dusk Till Dawn (George Clooney)

- Hellraiser trilogy + Part IV

- Dracula ("love never dies")

- Lord of Illusions

- Wishmaster

- A Nightmare on Elm Street (Part 1), Halloween & Friday the 13th (look bad for today standard)

you live dangerously, my friend... :lol: no really, if an american mainstream director stands for disturbing and irritating movies, which keep you thinking for a loong time after you've watched them, it's david lynch.

what do you dislike so much?

I find him tedious and obtuse most of the time. Almost forced in what he does, as though he's trying to be weird because that's what he wants people to see him as. Weirdness for the sake of weirdness with no real sincerity.

Session 9: I want to see this, but no-one has it for rent.

Also want to see a film called Das Experiment, but again, it eludes me.

Storm Of The Century was hardly scary. Funny story related to that movie. Remember the little old lady who says she'll eat your eyes in hell? She lived around the corner from me (she's in a retirement home now) and was the sweetest little (really little) lady. She has a great tabby named Kahili who's very mischevious and I've helped her look for him on a few occasions.

Anyways, I was walking home from work and she was outside and her smoke detector was going off and she told me she couldn't reach it to turn it off and asked if I might be a dear and help out.

When I was doing this, I noticed she had a huge framed Aubrey Beardsley print, and I commented that I was a fan of his work, so she lent be the book he wrote, which I had been really wanting to read.

Anyways. She never told me she'd eat my eyes in hell.

Colm Feore was quite good in that movie though. It's kind of funny to see a guy you know being so evil.

Rosemary's Baby and The Shining are both brilliant films - both by two of my favourite directors, too.

newlogo.gif

The last movie that really scared me was "The Sixth Sense".. Maybe it was because I had no idea what kind of movie it was when I went to the theatre (I was mostly expecting Die Hard 8 or something), or maybe I just have a thing for schoolgirls puking on me in tents. I don't know. But that movie scared the living.. thingies out of me!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Mistress

I'd definitely agree on Rosemary's Baby and The Shining - both favourites of mine :rolleyes:

Battle Royale is another film I like a lot. I need to get my boyfriend to watch that one - he hasn't seen it yet.

Tonight I plan on watching Santa Sangre, although I expect I will end up watching it on my own or possibly with my boyfriend. It sucks when you're living with a couple where the girlfriend won't even watch Friday the 13th because it's "too scary". <_< If she watches Pretty Woman *one more time*.......

- Hellraiser trilogy + Part IV

I believe thats called a quadrilogy these days :rolleyes:

If you've seen the extended version of the Wicker Man its slightly less disturbing than the theatrical purely because it expands on the motives of the islanders a bit more and adds another song or two, but Christopher Lee says its the best version so I go along with him. An American Werewolf in London is another of my favourites, but in a just as funny as scary kind of way. I cant think of any film thats really scared me in recent memory, with the exception of Ring which freaked me out a bit. Everything seems to be new takes on the old genre such as The Others or just splatter nonsense.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Guest Mistress
How about Dawn of the Dead, or 28 days later? Neither remotely 'scary', but the events in both are pretty horrifying, particularly the satirical vein of zombies wandering around eating people, but nothing having really changed.

I think 28 Days Later is a great film. One of the best out of all the films released in the last few years that I have seen.

Zombies and Cannibalism scare me :)

Yeah, we forgot those old cannibalism and zombie films from 1960-80's: :)

- like Night of Living Dead, couple films about Cannibals in Amazon, B-list Horror movie such Bad Taste (by Peter Jackson), Dead Alive, etc.

-A films by an Italian director Dario Argento also pretty good. I remember there was one film with Jennifer Connelly in it.

I really liked 28 Days Later, but to call it a horror film is a bit of a stretch. I didn't find it scary at all - struck me as closer to a sci-fi film than horror. Sort of an Omega Man/Last Man On Earth type of sci-fi.

The Argento film with Jennifer Connelly is called Phenomena.

newlogo.gif