The It Sucks Thread

Well, I've just found more or less difinitive proof that Lucasarts, and possibly Obsidian, though they probably had a nondisclosure agreement, have been stringing us along more or less since E3 when the KotOR trailer was released.

As someone said earlier, at the end of the trailer, 'Coming Winter 2004' is flashed briefly. As stated here:

While the last official trailer for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords ended with the words "Coming Winter 2004," there had been some doubt as to whether the game would arrive this year. "Winter 2004 extends to February 2005," a LucasArts rep told GameSpot several weeks ago.

As is also mentioned above, they realized their ****up, and ammended and said that Winter 2004 extends to Feb. 2005 (Fiscal year). This makes not a bit of sense from any marketing standpoint, as a fiscal year means nothing to anyone outside of business/retail. C'mon Lucasarts....do you really think we're that stupid? <_<

So let's review our options:

1) Wait and Wait and Wait...then check the calender....then

Wait some more...then keep waiting...make a snow angel...

then go back to waiting...follow this with multiple long periods

of waiting...then wait...change positions...wait wait wait and wait...

ummmm...then wait, and then prepare to wait some more, and finally,

wait.

OR....

2) Buy an X-box.

^(I'm guessing most of you already have your checkbook out.) ;)

wait.

OR....

2) Buy an X-box.

^(I'm guessing most of you already have your checkbook out.)  :lol:

No. 1 sounds like great fun to me. ;)

wait.

OR....

2) Buy an X-box.

^(I'm guessing most of you already have your checkbook out.)  :lol:

No. 1 sounds like great fun to me. ;)

Ditto. I have the money already. But a snowball has a better chance in hell than the odds of me buying an XBox after this powerplay between M$ and Lucasarts, and.....possibly, Obsidian.

I think the X-Box price is the same.  I am not 100% sure though.

The stores I've seen here in Canada, the XBox games sell for between $70 and $80, while the PC games sell anywhere from $20 to $59.99 at most.

I personally bought my KOTOR game for $39.99, but that was about a month after it had already been out.

Damn, where in Canada are you? Over here on the west coast the average price for a PC game is $75. $40 For old games. The Starcraft Battle Chest is $40. Thats just silly.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It has already been stated before that the PC will have nothing that distinguishes it from the Xbox other than the option to run at higher resolutions.

I remember the first ever press release (game announcement) they said that the two versions will have items and stuff that the other won't. Essentially there was supposed to be items that PC users get that Xbox users won't and vice versa. But since Xbox users get downloadable content, it makes me wonder if we got shafted in the long run.

Well, I've just found more or less difinitive proof that Lucasarts, and possibly Obsidian, though they probably had a nondisclosure agreement, have been stringing us along more or less since E3 when the KotOR trailer was released. 

As someone said earlier, at the end of the trailer, 'Coming Winter 2004' is flashed briefly.  As stated here: 

While the last official trailer for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords ended with the words "Coming Winter 2004," there had been some doubt as to whether the game would arrive this year. "Winter 2004 extends to February 2005," a LucasArts rep told GameSpot several weeks ago.

As is also mentioned above, they realized their ****up, and ammended and said that Winter 2004 extends to Feb. 2005 (Fiscal year). This makes not a bit of sense from any marketing standpoint, as a fiscal year means nothing to anyone outside of business/retail. C'mon Lucasarts....do you really think we're that stupid? <_<

^^^We've been lied to since E3 by Lucasarts.....and depending on who made the trailer Obsidian too. This really, really sucks.

As someone said earlier, at the end of the trailer, 'Coming Winter 2004' is flashed briefly.  As stated here: 

^^^We've been lied to since E3 by Lucasarts.....and depending on who made the trailer Obsidian too. This really, really sucks.

Why are you so convinced that you've been lied to? As I said in another thread, there're numerous possibilities why the PC version could be delayed. It isn't lying in my book.

/flips through his book to make sure

Nope, definately not 'lying'. :)

It has already been stated before that the PC will have nothing that distinguishes it from the Xbox other than the option to run at higher resolutions.

I remember the first ever press release (game announcement) they said that the two versions will have items and stuff that the other won't. Essentially there was supposed to be items that PC users get that Xbox users won't and vice versa. But since Xbox users get downloadable content, it makes me wonder if we got shafted in the long run.

They should be able to add the hoods up/down option with 2 months to focus on the PC only.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Winter 2004 extends to 2005... seriously, I think that's a pretty stupid statement. I'm not saying that statement is technically wrong. It isn't.

But this is a trailer for a game with the intended purpose to MARKET the game. The trailer is trying to PUBLICIZE the game so consumers will BUY the game. Really, would the consumer think the release date would be a FISCAL quarter? Shouldn't a logical date be clearly displayed to tell the user WHEN the game comes out? Must the consumer think in fiscal quarters for a release date? When's the last time you guys think in fiscal quarters to buy a game? That is just plain illogical.

What you DO find at the end of the trailer, is that the Xbox and PC symbols are right next to each other. With the big yellow words "Winter 2004" plastered right next to it of course. Doesn't that imply something?

Well...I'm disappointed that I have to wait next year but it's only two months. I think it's unfair to bash the developers, people at LA and the other countless of people who are putting in many hours of their TIME to make us a great game. People should appreciate the effort that goes into this.

So, I would rather wait 2 extra months for a great game than a bug riddled one.

I still dont get why they cant hold off the Xbox version. And dont say cos its Christmas. You would get the game if it came out tommorow.

Hey I would think you would rather have them move the release date for PC up rather than push everything back. I know I would, But then agian I also have the Xbox. But here is a question for you how would you feel if the situation was reversed and it was the PC getting it first and I and all other Xbox users wanted it pushed back? you would feel the same way as us north american Xboxers do when you or someone else say that they should push the Xbox release back to match up with the other releases. I understand its not fair and to be honest the best reason why (and maybe the only reason we will ever know) is because of christmas.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Damn, where in Canada are you? Over here on the west coast the average price for a PC game is $75. $40 For old games. The Starcraft Battle Chest is $40. Thats just silly.

Ontario.

I admit I don't keep an eye on ALL games, but the one's I've been interested in all seem to be in the $39.99 to $59.99 range on the PC. EB, Future Shop, Radio Shack, etc. all seem to have the price in this range.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Topic pruned.

No legal case would hold water against LucasArts, as they have always hedged their bets by saying that they were "aiming for" or "trying for" or "working their very hardest for" a simultaneous release date. That makes them not culpable for false advertisement. You would have to find in a document released BY LucasArts, not reported by another site, where they explicitly promised a simultaneous release date.

(Friend is a lawyer.)

Extra content for the PC would be superb, but as GoA said, it's not likely to happen. *sigh*

Question: This thread is pretty long. Consensus on locking this one and starting a new one with a link to this one?

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

Winter 2004 extends to 2005... seriously, I think that's a pretty stupid statement. I'm not saying that statement is technically wrong. It isn't.

But this is a trailer for a game with the intended purpose to MARKET the game. The trailer is trying to PUBLICIZE the game so consumers will BUY the game. Really, would the consumer think the release date would be a FISCAL quarter? Shouldn't a logical date be clearly displayed to tell the user WHEN the game comes out? Must the consumer think in fiscal quarters for a release date? When's the last time you guys think in fiscal quarters to buy a game? That is just plain illogical.

What you DO find at the end of the trailer, is that the Xbox and PC symbols are right next to each other. With the big yellow words "Winter 2004" plastered right next to it of course. Doesn't that imply something?

GEE! That's what I thought. :)

Well...I'm disappointed that I have to wait next year but it's only two months.  I think it's unfair to bash the developers, people at LA and the other countless of people who are putting in many hours of their TIME to make us a great game. People should appreciate the effort that goes into this.

So, I would rather wait 2 extra months for a great game than a bug riddled one.

Not if we've been lied to since E3. Not sure yet who made the trailer, so I can't really say whether or not Obsidian was in on it too; quite honestly, I doubt any of them would come forward anyway as there's no reason to screw themselves over more when the blame is currently on Lucasarts. After all, when someone ****sup, there's no better game to play than the BLAME GAME!!!

True, no lawsuit would work against Lucasarts. This doesn't mean they didn't waylay us or deceive us. I don't understand why they didn't specifically say "The PC version has fallen behind." That's all that was required. Everyone here has had a drought in game updates/press releases for a good long month or two. Yet two weeks beforehand, none of the devs ever mentioned anything about the PC version until... well this debacle.

Question:  This thread is pretty long.  Consensus on locking this one and starting a new one with a link to this one?

While this thread is getting rather long.....could we keep it for at least a while longer? Do all the unwritten Obsidian board policies really have to be a clone copy of the Bioboards? :)

The following is the real account of why the Xbox version is coming out first. Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

D;ck: "Why don't we have a game coming out in time for Christmas?"

Yes Brain: "Yes big money to be made that time of year D;ck!"

Yes Brain 2: "Yeah kids hopped up on candy driving their parents mad."

*D;ck begins to run though the LA line up in his head*

D;ck: "Get me Gallo on the phone."

Yes Brain: "Sure thing D;ck."

Yes Brain 2: "That's a wonderful idea D;ck!"

*Yes Brain hits speed dial on the speaker phone.*

Mike Gallo: "Hello?"

D;ck: "Mike, the man of the hour!"

Yes Brain: "Yes, Mike Gallo a man's man!"

Yes Brain 2: "Yeah, Mike Gallo inventor of wine!"

Mike Gallo: "Man of the hour?"

D;ck: "Listen here Mike how is that game of yours coming along? Knightsie of the what ever you call it."

Mike Gallo: "Things are looking really good we should make the promised February release date for both the PC and the X-Box with no problems what so ever."

D;ck: "Good things kid that

IMO, whoever was in charge of this marketing decision should lose his/her job over it.

Before you say that's extreme, here's some points:

1-What did LucasArts gain by "deceiving" the public? They won't gain more XBox fans by the deception, and will probably lose quite a few PC fans.

2-They knew beforehand that the XBox version was ahead of the PC version in development, so even suggesting a simultaneous release put impossible expectations on those in charge of getting the games ready for sale. This seems like a lack of communication between those developing and those marketing the game.

3-The job of the marketing department is to promote the game. It's job is to advertise things that are relatively within reason to accomplish, not state outlandish things that cannot be done. Obviously, with the XBox version ahead in development, the ONLY way both would be released the same time is if a)they put extra effort in to the PC version or b)they delay the release of the XBox version, costing the company a lot of money, especially during the Xmas season.

All of these things are the fault of the marketing department (or whoever is in charge of giving the public information on the game). And from LucasArts' perspective, they just pissed off a big portion of their fans and all because of something that could have been avoided with better leadership.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The following is the real account of why the Xbox version is coming out first. Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

D;ck: "Why don't we have a game coming out in time for Christmas?"

Yes Brain: "Yes big money to be made that time of year D;ck!"

Yes Brain 2: "Yeah kids hopped up on candy driving their parents mad."

*D;ck begins to run though the LA line up in his head*

D;ck: "Get me Gallo on the phone."

Yes Brain: "Sure thing D;ck."

Yes Brain 2: "That's a wonderful idea D;ck!"

*Yes Brain hits speed dial on the speaker phone.*

Mike Gallo: "Hello?"

D;ck: "Mike, the man of the hour!"

Yes Brain: "Yes, Mike Gallo a man's man!"

Yes Brain 2: "Yeah, Mike Gallo inventor of wine!"

Mike Gallo: "Man of the hour?"

D;ck: "Listen here Mike how is that game of yours coming along? Knightsie of the what ever you call it."

Mike Gallo: "Things are looking really good we should make the promised February release date for both the PC and the X-Box with no problems what so ever."

D;ck: "Good things kid that

I still dont get why they cant hold off the Xbox version. And dont say cos its Christmas. You would get the game if it came out tommorow.

Hey I would think you would rather have them move the release date for PC up rather than push everything back. I know I would, But then agian I also have the Xbox. But here is a question for you how would you feel if the situation was reversed and it was the PC getting it first and I and all other Xbox users wanted it pushed back? you would feel the same way as us north american Xboxers do when you or someone else say that they should push the Xbox release back to match up with the other releases. I understand its not fair and to be honest the best reason why (and maybe the only reason we will ever know) is because of christmas.

Right! Why should American Xboxers have to suffer just because everyone else is getting screwed. I don't want the game in febuary. I want the game now. Don't try to screw us just because your getting screwed. I got no problem with the pc version getting pushed up (which I think would make higher sales and bigger profits) but I don't see why I should have to wait months for the game to come out just because the pc version isn't done yet. Lucas Arts didn't promise anything. They gave us an estimate on when the game would be released. It changed. I know the situation sux but don't try to screw everyone just because your getting screwed.

Well, I was thinking of closing it and opening a new one to continue the discussion (along the lines of the Ask the Devs threads) because it's getting rather unwieldy.  However, I don't mind leaving it open if no one else does.

If you do close this thread, can you make it a sticky atleast? That way atleast it'll still be noticeable for a while.