Warhammer 40k 10th edition core rules are now free....

Gorth

On 4/29/2024 at 6:49 AM, melkathi said:

Though Blood Bowl in particular is odd.

It attracts players a lot with the sillyness and fun ideas, but underneath that is ultra competitive, with one of the largest miniature competition communities. But then the large competitions are all friendly and fun, as if they were still a tiny niche game.

The smaller, "skirmish like" games do tend to lean towards competitiveness. I know Kill Team can feel quite competitive at times, but luckily I'm in the company of like minded people when playing it (Kill Team and Horus Heresy being my two go-to games these days). 40k is a monstrosity when it comes to games balance. It's virtually non existing, which is ironical considering it's also one of the biggest tournament attractions. They release balance updates reactively, every few months based on tournament feed back and win ratios for it. Horus heresy hadn't had a decent balance update in... I don't think one exists 😂

As mentioned previously, it's (HH) a game that appeals more to those who like narrative gaming experiences instead of competitive play. It's inherently "unfair" with the distribution of perks and abilities amongst the legions, the Mechanicum and Solar Auxilia armies completely favouring a few poster boy legions (Imperial Fists and Sons of Horus)

Unless you feel like splurging $3000+ USD on each Warlord titan to put a competitive Titan Legion on the table (never mind the table space)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's why I got some Burrows and Badgers, some Moonstone, and Motu Battleground.

Little skirmish games are the way to go.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'll just repurpose my old thread here as a general Warhammer universe thread... I might even put some of my old paint jobs in here some day...

You guys feel free to share your own armies whether Fantasy, WarCry, Necromunda, whatever...

Anyway, It was hard to not notice the **** storm that occurred when current heads of lore in Nottingham decided to introduce a female Custodian... can't say I liked the idea either, but there is one thing WH40k does over and over, it's retconning, big time and consisten retconning 😖

Makes me wonder about the two missing legions and primarchs (2nd & 11th). My current (personal) conspiracy theory is, those were female primarchs leading female legions. But the Emperor foresaw how the world would react 40 years later and so decided to eliminate them in "Thunder Warrior Style" and remove all records of their existence 😂

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 5/30/2024 at 6:52 AM, Gorth said:

I think I'll just repurpose my old thread here as a general Warhammer universe thread... I might even put some of my old paint jobs in here some day...

You guys feel free to share your own armies whether Fantasy, WarCry, Necromunda, whatever...

Anyway, It was hard to not notice the **** storm that occurred when current heads of lore in Nottingham decided to introduce a female Custodian... can't say I liked the idea either, but there is one thing WH40k does over and over, it's retconning, big time and consisten retconning 😖

Makes me wonder about the two missing legions and primarchs (2nd & 11th). My current (personal) conspiracy theory is, those were female primarchs leading female legions. But the Emperor foresaw how the world would react 40 years later and so decided to eliminate them in "Thunder Warrior Style" and remove all records of their existence 😂

I don't mind female Custodes at all, I've always thought the "only boys, no icky girls" part of the space marines made no sense from a logical perspective. They wouldn't look like women after all the treatments, but still, considering how rare good candidates are cutting off 50% of the population is a bit foolish. And when it comes to lore, there used to be female Space Marines, just that noone bought them back then and they then got repurposed as the second coolest 40k faction, nuns with guns. 😄

Haha, that'd be hilarious! 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You asked for BloodBowl.

You shall receive Blood Bowl.

The Rotten Eggz

Pm9sCZp.jpg

WugogpY.jpg

pHEJiPD.jpg

iafEGng.jpg

CzcDMIa.jpg

4J24ycb.jpg

yXNF4Ck.jpg

Converted gobbo spearmen basically.

The loony has a ball and squig instead of a ball and chain.

The Pogo has a rocket pack.

The doom diver rides a tie fighter and waves a lightsabre. But I lacked experience with LEDs so it and the bomba's cigar only really show in absolute darkness 😕

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

@melkathi sadly I never got to play BloodBowl when it was new, a few decades ago. But, afaik it's still a "current" game. Awesome gobbos! 😁

• Like 2

Necromunda part1

The Ratling Slopper. 

Spoiler

h0TeAg0.jpeg

Twe91wv.jpeg

E1lvBfj.jpeg

WUbF7El.jpeg

ihrOViY.jpeg

Funny coincidence, I sent photos of this guy to the official Necromunda Facebook when they were asking for community pics. It was not shown and a few months later GW announced a ratling slopper of their own. Obviously I go by the theory that they were inspired by my mini and just don't want to admit it 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just a few pics from my current project. Will make an effort to take some photos of my paint jobs from up to almost 40 years ago and upload later 😝

My "work place"... the blue guys are Alpha Legion tactical marines after getting the metallic blue colour (using an airbrush for first metal, then a few thin layers of transparent blue on top). Currently getting an "oil wash", which the black stuff in the little tub. Black oil paint thinned with mineral spirit. The capillary reaction of the resulting liquid automatically flows into recesses and provides a bit of shading on the blue areas.

The guys behind them are my "Death Korps of Krieg" Kill Team, getting a few colours. Only just started on them at that point. Behind them some 30 year old Dark Elves from Warhammer Fantasy, barely done more than undercoating in black at that point

1ybbzdD.jpg

More Alpha Legion... the rear 5 have had gravel added to their bases and the painting part is mostly done. The bases will get a layer of base coat and then dusted with layers of pigment powder

VJ33UFP.jpg

Alpha Legion, Lernaean Terminators. Specialty is infiltration and holding remote objectives. Power Axes and Volkite weapons, except the big gun, which is a Conversion Beamer

aF8yLxo.jpg

Will try to make some decent pictures of my old undead, dark elf and Epic Ork armies

• Like 2

@Azdeus remember my joke above about the two female Primarchs?... turns out I wasn't the first 😂

“You brothers-such a nest of rivalries. I warned him to make you sisters, that it would make things more civilized. He thought I was joking, I wasn't." - Malcador

(from one of the HH novels, 'Scars', by Chris Wraight)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2024 at 8:55 PM, melkathi said:

You asked for BloodBowl.

You shall receive Blood Bowl.

The Rotten Eggz

Pm9sCZp.jpg

WugogpY.jpg

pHEJiPD.jpg

iafEGng.jpg

CzcDMIa.jpg

4J24ycb.jpg

yXNF4Ck.jpg

Converted gobbo spearmen basically.

The loony has a ball and squig instead of a ball and chain.

The Pogo has a rocket pack.

The doom diver rides a tie fighter and waves a lightsabre. But I lacked experience with LEDs so it and the bomba's cigar only really show in absolute darkness 😕

very nice!

I think I threatened at some point to show a few pictures of some very old Citadel miniatures from my collection...

Dark Elves from back when Games Workshop called them Dark Elves in Warhammer Fantasy. A unit of Corsairs and a Sorceress. The corsairs never got their banner painted :blush:

The sorceress was literally a cover girl. A plastic sprue in a plastic bag, taped with sticky tape to the front page of the White Dwarf magazine introducing the new race to the world of Warhammer (an ad for the new army book, first edition Dark Elves)

Disclaimer, all the miniatures on the pictures are from the 80's and very early 90's, painted with the tools available at the time. No fancy "tech paints" 😝

h4Ac3Jv.jpg

A selection of Imperial Guard troopers (Astra Militarum? Who the **** is the Astra Militarum???). A few Valhallan mortar troopers, some Attilan rough riders, ratling (approved homo sapiens subspecies, exempt from purge) and some character models. Tach priest, Eversor Assassin, commissars and a lieutenant from the old Necromunda Imperial Guard regiment (a tank from same regiment hiding somewhere in the picture)...

sqaPBFw.jpg

Edit: I think next up, it will be the undead shelfs turn to get dusted off. Also got some Necromunda gangers and Epic Ork armies