Introduction and Principles :

I have the project to make a "small" balance mod for PoE1.
I haven't much time to work on it right now, my target date is more about this summer, but I think it's better to get comment as soon as possible since the activity on this forum is decreasing... Mostly, I would like to gather some feedback before it's too late to get "enlightened" reviews.

I am already the author of a rather big balance mod for PoE2 ( Deadfire Balance Polishing Mod at Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com) ). I don't want to do something that big for PoE1 since modding PoE1 is a bit more complicated and I don't have that much time to invest again. In addition, I won't find it that suitable since I'm in love with many of PoE1 « unbalanced » features (such as Dragon Trashed. builds..). Finally no multiclassing tends to reduce the number of potentially OP combinations.

My objectives are only to make every combination of Races and Classes relevant enough.
All classes shall be able to fullfill a particular role (or combinations of roles) better than anyone else in a party
(Solo is a secondary concern for me).

A couple of warnings before sharing the details :
- I won't try address all bugs and glitches. By experience, there are just too many of them.
- I won't do anything else than tweaking numbers beacuse of the technical difficulty to do so. I can increase damages, duration, values of bonus or even add a scaling per level (seems simple enough). So please try to avoid making suggestions that would require adding new properties to a particular ability.
- The total number of changes should be close to the list I will present below (I can include a couple more suggested changes, but not too many...).  

My vision of current class balance :

Tier S : is about casters who can unleash many (great) casts when needed

Tier S++ : Priest. Close to impossible to replace as party support (and solid for everything else). Playing without a Priest in one's party is like rising the level of difficulty... literally since PotD adds like +15 Accuracy and Defenses to foes, while a priest get basically adds around +30 Accuracy and +60 Defenses (even if it requires casting time and a party slot).

Tier S+ : Wizard. Incredibly strong on its own. Special mention to Ninagauth Shadowflames which is way too strong (even for a special reward) and you can cast it every encounter from lvl 15.

Tier S : Druid

Tier A : Solid tier

All of these classes have some very strong specials. Here are the reason why most of the classes fit in this category :

Chanter : Dragon Trashed is crazy strong, and they can do that while standing in the strongest armors (and pocking with weapons).

Paladin : similar to Chanters (even tankier) thanks to Sacred Immolation, less powerful but with a lots of other support goodies (instant resurrection, auras, spike damages with FoD, etc...)

Ranger : very strong ranged damages with Twinned Arrows (basically doubles DPS), a good pet from the later version of the game, reccursive Stuns from Stunning Shots.

Monks : very versatile with summons, Crowd Control, good DPS abilities, and tankiness through Iron Skin

Barbarian : great AoE damages with possible added Crowd Control (through interrupts or overbearing weapons). Spike AoE damages with Heart of Fury.

Cipher : extremely versatile casters with great weapon damages. Defensive Mindweb is super good.

Tier B : slightly subpar Tier 

Tier B+ : Fighters : some nice goodies, but not something as gamechanging as the previous ones. Just needs a trump card similar to what is Sacred Immolation or Twinned Arrows for their respective classes.

Tier B : Rogue : great Single Target DPS... but not that much greater than Ranger with a lots more weaknesses and no really great other goodies.

As a consequence of th I will try to do the following :
- Give a super endgame ability to Fighters
- Improve the Rogue substancially and also give them a super endgame ability
- Tweak down a couple of Priests and Wizards spells that I consider particularly annoying. Note that I would include nerfs in an optional component. (as I did for my PoE2 nerfs)
- Try to reduce the gap caused by Rest Spamming (see below)

Focus on the Rest Spamming issue :

Limitating rest is part of the usual game experience. If you rest spam, some classes (casters) are way stronger and restricting oneself from using per rest ressources is part of PoE1 game design. Of you roleplay a minimum, you won't go back to the nearest inn every other fight. You may find this gamplay annoying, but I don't want to touch this. 
However, it would certainly be a good idea for another mod !! It would most likely require to lower Wiz/Priest/Druid casts to 1-2 per spell level as it was done in PoE2.

On the contrary, one of the general principles of this balance mod would be to increase the number of per Rest casts for all non spellcasters. One of the biggest strength of casters (Wiz, Priest, Druids) is that they have a lots of casts for boss fights, making them God tier for such battles. Increasing the number of Per Rest casts of martial classes would reduce the gap. A lot of Per Rest abilities are actually quite good vs bosses (Unbending, Deprive the Unworthy, Finishing Blow), and I feel weird that they usually get 1-2 casts of them while casters get 4 casts on each Tier (not even counting mastery). 

Since my purpose is to give more Per Rest casts to martial classes in general, my rule would be by default to give 4x Per Rest cast of everything Per Rest. Because 4x Per Rest cast is what casters gain per spell level, it would feel fair.

Sometimes I would make exception to 3x if the ability feels a bit strong (Unbending, as it is) or 5x if weak/spammy (Binding Roots as it is, or Hastening Exhortation). Expect +2x Per Rest cast compared to current values, with some exceptions (Unbending and Binding Roots feel quite balanced as they are, so no +2 Per Rest cast).

The result of this tweak would probably to have martials/cipher/chanter to do the biggest part of the work for "minor" fights due to passive and Per Encounter spams (until Mastery at least) while Druid/Wiz/Priest would still carry the party for boss fights, but with other classes also contributing more than before.

Detailed preliminary list of changes:

Fighter 
Clear Out : 4x per Rest
Sundering Blow : duration 8s -> 30s, -8DR -> -10DR
I want to make Sundering Blow the best DR reducer of the game by a significant margin. This would ensure the utility of fighters versus bosses. Also note that using it with a blunderbuss makes it basically an autohit, unlike similar abilities. Ney it's melee only

Paladin
Hastening Exhortation : 5x per Rest
Deprive the Unworthy : 4x per Rest

Monk
Clarity of Agony : 4x per Rest

Barbarian
Barbaric Shout : 4x per Rest
Wild Sprint : 5x per Rest

Ranger 
Revive Companion : 3x per Rest
Master's Call : 5x per Rest

Rogue 
- Sneak Attack : +50% base +10% per 3 lvl beyond 1, up to +100% at level 16
- Dirty Fighting : 10% => 15% crit
- Riposte : 30% chances on miss too
- Withering Strike : 1x => 2x per encounter
- Fearsome Strike 4x per Rest
- Feign Death : Prone 10s -> 3s, invisible 6s -> 12s
- Deep wounds : add +3 raw damages scaling per 6 lvl beyond 1 up to 9 raw damages per 3s tick at level 13
- Finishing Blow : 4x per Rest
Finishing Blow : +5 Acc, +50% damages, +3% damages per 1% health loss below 50%
    => +10 Acc, +3% damages per 1% health loss from 100% (up to +300%)
Devastatating Blow +5 Acc, +50% damages, +5% damages per 1% health loss below 50%
    => +10 Acc, +4% damages per 1% health loss from 100% (up to +400%) 

Most Rogue changes have already been discussed here : Melee Rogue is too weak on PotD Upscale - Page 2 - Pillars of Eternity: Characters Builds, Strategies & the Unity Engine (Spoiler Warning!) - Obsidian Forum Community

Wizard (in a distinct nerf component)
Shadowflame : Paralysis 6s -> 4s
This one is specifically annoying because an AoE Paralysis with a significant duration that can be spammed every fight or 6x times on a single encounter can really break the game.

Priest (in a distinct nerf component)
Devotion for the Faithful : -20 acc for foes -> -10, -10 mig for foes-> -4, +20 Acc for friends -> -10 (in a nutshell, that's PoE2 values)
Crow of the Faithful : +25 Resolve -> +6 Resolve
As stated above, Priests are just too good at buffing party.
DftF is arguably the best spell of the game since High Accuracy help everything including landing Crowd Control, and you're even debuffing your foes on top of this !
Also Resolve is arguably the worst attribute, but at least it brings a sometimes critical resistance to interrupt. By buffing it so much, CotF basically makes your initial Resolve attribute insignificant.

Race changes
Death Godlike : damages to foes under 25% endurance 25% => EDIT 25%+7% damages per 3 lvl, up to +60% at level 16.
Nature Godlike : bonus set to +3 to Mig, Dex and Con when under 50% health,  +1 per 6 lvl up to +5 to Mig, Dex and Con at lvl 13.
Mountain Dwarf : +20 -> +40 vs poison and disease (+20 is too weak and was basically only useful for 1 single build, @Boeroer's Bilestomper)

Additional change :
1-Handed Style : 15% Crit -> 25% (basically the same level of power as what I did for my PoE2 mod)

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 4

Hi, I agree with your thoughts, only two considerations:

1. No nerf for Relentless Storm? Ok, it's a level 5 spell but it very powerful in my opinion. Maybe reducing duration from 15s to 10s?
  2. Death Godlike: yeah, plenty of Death Godlike Rogues 😄 I'd change 25% => 20%+8% damages per 3 lvl, up to +60% at level 16 with something less, perhaps 25%+5% per 3 lvl.

Everything else is ok, imho Dragon thrashed should be nerfed, but I know you won't do that :)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chaospread said:

Hi, I agree with your thoughts, only two considerations:

1. No nerf for Relentless Storm? Ok, it's a level 5 spell but it very powerful in my opinion. Maybe reducing duration from 15s to 10s?

I thought about that but :

- Druid Tier 5 is strong in general. You get stuff like Plague of Insects, Firebug or Embrace the Earth Talon (Petrifying...). So nerfing one spell won't reduce that much this tier level of power.

- But Druid Tier 6 is okayish and Tier 7 is meh. I see the strength of Tier 5 as a kind of compensation.

- At the very least, Tier 5 has no mastery, so one can't spam it every encounter.

Even considering this, Relentless Storm is extremely strong AND convenient. But I see it a bit as the selling point of the class compared to other casters (although healing and Form of the Delemgan kind of make druid stand out vs Wiz...)

1. Death Godlike: yeah, plenty of Death Godlike Rogues 😄 I'd change 25% => 20%+8% damages per 3 lvl, up to +60% at level 16 with something less, perhaps 25%+5% per 3 lvl.

+60% damages vs 1/4 targets (under 25%) could be seen as +15% damage bonus overall. That's nice but isn't much better than +4 MIG from an unique helm.

In addition, Death Godlike special has a similar issue as finishing blow. It looks nice on paper but often ends up in an overkill.  Also foes aren't below 25% health 25% of the time. The hits that brings them under 25% could bring anywhere from say 10% to 20% health, reducing the proportion of time spent under 25%.

That's why I think they could be given a generous bonus. You can still synergize with it by picking your targets and choosing On Kill abilities/items.

Note that I have just changed it to 25% +7%/3 lvl so it is a strict buff from vanilla. 

Everything else is ok, imho Dragon thrashed should be nerfed, but I know you won't do that :)

😁

Edited by Elric Galad

7th level druid spells is horrible, I used to leave an empty slot to cast Nature's bounty sometimes...

Ok, you've persuaded me for the rest, there's only a thing I would say since first post about this (and S/S+ tiers of these two classes):

6 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

although healing and Form of the Delemgan kind of make druid stand out vs Wiz...)

Druid and Wizard are not so distant in powerful for me, actually, in a one vs one fight maybe Druid could beat the Wizard most of the times...

1 hour ago, Chaospread said:

7th level druid spells is horrible, I used to leave an empty slot to cast Nature's bounty sometimes...

It is so horrible that setting Relentless Storm to Tier 7 would actually buff the druid (since Tier 5 has good replacements).

I would spam primordials with Tier 7. Not that they are that good (1 out of 18 chance to get 2 black oozes 😞 ) but at least they provide some utility to this tier.

Ok, you've persuaded me for the rest, there's only a thing I would say since first post about this (and S/S+ tiers of these two classes):

Druid and Wizard are not so distant in powerful for me, actually, in a one vs one fight maybe Druid could beat the Wizard most of the times...

Druid was arguably stronger at launch. Then immunity happened (And Venombloom, the top tier 6 contender, became resistible by poison immune) and the weirdness of Tier 7 and 8 (when devs seemed to regret making druid so great AoE damages dealers...). Druid are incredible until tier 5, then their only super great spell is arguably Avenging Storm and even it requires your caster to just go punch things in melee. 

The reasons I (and most people) would pick Wiz :
- Deleterious Alacrity of Motion. Because of it, anything Wiz can do, he will do more.
- Better Tier 6, 7 and 8. And these are supposed to be the strongest tiers...
- Wiz might be a bit better at CC and CC is paramount. Ninagauth's Shadowflame (this thing is fast casting...), Call to Slumber, Slicken (as a mere Tier 1), Gaze of the Adragan, Wall of Many Colors... Only Relentless Storm really provides something wizard has trouble to replicate. Druid is good CC, but Wiz is above.

There is even a majority of people that seem to consider Wiz THE top class.

Anyway S and S+ isn't very distant in power anyway. I would not even have touched Ninagauth's if I didn't consider it to be a problem on its own rights.

And Druid has support capability which sort of make them superior for party composition. Druid has no issue finding themselves a purpose.

An hypothetical "strongest possible party" could be 1 Priest, 1 Druid, 4 Wiz.

Edited by Elric Galad

Oh, about spells wizard are superior by far of a druid, but a Druid can cast Returning Storm, spiritshift and bye bye my dear wizard ;) I'm thinking about a fight one o one, but, in a fight against foes, more times is better the wiz, I agree. I think Relentless Storm is slightly better than Ninagauth's, but maybe I'm wrong, and Sunbeam is a good CC (level 1 also), infestation of maggots is an underrated spell but to be a level 3 tier is very powerful. But, I see, last tiers spells are very powerful for the wiz (wall of many colours and so on).

1 hour ago, Elric Galad said:

And Druid has support capability which sort of make them superior for party composition. Druid has no issue finding themselves a purpose.

Yeah, a Druid can do CC, support and also can be a little a damage dealer; claws of spiritshift with high DEX and Alacrity are very impressive!

1 hour ago, Elric Galad said:

Mmm... in place of a wiz, one cipher for mindweb? And, of course, a Chanter with Dragon Thrashed 😄 😄

Mmm... in place of a wiz, one cipher for mindweb? And, of course, a Chanter with Dragon Thrashed 😄 😄

A couple of chanters can fit tank slots yeah. Not sure they can overpower wizs, but if you're lazy AND powergamy, chanters do fill slots quite well. 

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

I think fighters in PoE1 are better than most people give them credit for (their accuracy with scrolls and item abilities alone make them pretty solid), but then I never take clear out or sundering blow so those seem like good abilities to buff and rogue is IMO uncontested for weakest class.

Is changing per rest to per encounter possible? In that case i would move clear out to per encounter at 2 uses. It's a smaller AoE than Heart of Fury and fighters don't have carnage to do AoE*AoE so two uses seems like it should be fine.

I don't think these changes will move down Priest from S++ (minor avatar + aggrandizing & inspiring radiance for +10 to all attributes & +10 universally stacking team accuracy would still be in the game) but then I wouldn't really want them too.

Since inspiring radiance stacks there's no way you only want 1 priest, also defensive mindweb + priest (+10 to all attributes -> +40 fort/ref/will) + wizard with arcane veil (and shield + hatchet) is comical for how high you can push everyones defenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, limaxophobiacq said:

I think fighters in PoE1 are better than most people give them credit for (their accuracy with scrolls and item abilities alone make them pretty solid),

Yeah, I made a Fighter build relying on item abilities and Disciplined Barrage once (Abydon's Hammer stun per encounter, dualed waxed Bittercut, White Crest, Siegebreaker, etc..) and it was really great.

That's also a reason why there is not that much changes needed, but I really wanted thme to stand out in their own specific ways.

but then I never take clear out or sundering blow so those seem like good abilities to buff and rogue is IMO uncontested for weakest class.

Is changing per rest to per encounter possible? In that case i would move clear out to per encounter at 2 uses. It's a smaller AoE than Heart of Fury and fighters don't have carnage to do AoE*AoE so two uses seems like it should be fine.

Yes, it is feasible.

Actually I hesitated a long time between 4x per rest and 2x per encounter since Clear Out felt like a great ability to promote (no other martial class had a similar AoE CC tool).

But 2x per encounter isn't necessarily better.

Since I want to give all non casters more efficient tools for biggest fights, Clear Out would fit this purpose with 4x per rest uses.

I don't think fighters have that much issues with smaller fights, especially considering Knockdown, Charge and Sundering Blows are all per encounter. 

I don't think these changes will move down Priest from S++ (minor avatar + aggrandizing & inspiring radiance for +10 to all attributes & +10 universally stacking team accuracy would still be in the game) but then I wouldn't really want them too.

Maybe S++- after these nerfs. I don't want to bring them down entirely, but I think these 2 abilities were the most broken ones. At least you'll have to cast more abilities before they start really breaking the encounter.

Since inspiring radiance stacks there's no way you only want 1 priest, also defensive mindweb + priest (+10 to all attributes -> +40 fort/ref/will) + wizard with arcane veil (and shield + hatchet) is comical for how high you can push everyones defenses.

Good points 🙂 

12 hours ago, limaxophobiacq said:

Right, better more priests than wizards, so 1 cipher, 1 wiz, 1 chant and 3 priests (sorry my dear Druid 😞), at the top of the spells you cited cast Salvation of Time, put AI mode on, take a coffee and wait until any Dragons is melted down 😄

12 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

But 2x per encounter isn't necessarily better.

Since I want to give all non casters more efficient tools for biggest fights, Clear Out would fit this purpose with 4x per rest uses.

I don't think fighters have that much issues with smaller fights, especially considering Knockdown, Charge and Sundering Blows are all per encounter. 

This is a good point. Per encounter is good for trash fights, but for bosses more per rest is better of less per encounter.

If you can't avoid spam rest, make rest spamming useless.

Indeed, you could remove all per rest abilities and leave only per encounter abilities, all with  x 3 or x 4 per encounter, increasing the effects of last tiers abilities and you'd go to rest only for health need... no more rest spamming 🤔 😜

9 minutes ago, Chaospread said:

This is a good point. Per encounter is good for trash fights, but for bosses more per rest is better of less per encounter.

That's what I'm going to do.

9 minutes ago, Chaospread said:

If you can't avoid spam rest, make rest spamming useless.

Indeed, you could remove all per rest abilities and leave only per encounter abilities, all with  x 3 or x 4 per encounter, increasing the effects of last tiers abilities and you'd go to rest only for health need... no more rest spamming 🤔 😜

Removing all per rest abilities would lead to another mod with other principles. Changing number of ability use, changing an ability from per rest to per encounter and even changing spells from per rest to per encounter, all these have been done by other mods.

The only thing I'm not 100% sur if feasible is how to reduce the number of spell cast per caster level (druid, Wiz, Priest). It's probably a parameter somewhere, but there is a chance that it is hardcoded (especially since it changes per level gain).

I'm not sure I would like to do both mods, lack of time to develop and playtest both.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely would be some welcomed changes. Although POE did balance classes better than dnd , the casters still end up with so much power. I do like nerf ideas. Also i know this probably wouldn't be included but for me the other reason Priest are top tier class is they counter all enemy CC/debuff. I know there are a few abilities from other classes that counter stuff but there is not enough. I also know that Lore/Scrolls also are viable for countering CC. It would nice if the counters to CC were spread out more in actual abilities. Basically add or modify other classes to have prayer like abilities. 

Small example would be ranger Heal Companion. maybe it could suppress or just remove status affects and also heal. Its hard to compare to POE2 but they added a buff along with the heal. Or maybe it could remove a certain set of CC like a prayer.

Also its funny how Druid is S tier which I agree it is (i still remember the great Druid/Rogue who can do more melee dps posts lol, poor rogue , couldnt out dps a caster class in melee rip) but there are no nerfs proposed. 

There are small nerfs i can think about for wizards like Chill Fog , which seems to strong for level 1 spell. It needs to either be longer duration between ticks , or a higher tier spell, or a different status than Blinded. 

I just started a new run so i will have to get back into the swing of things to think about other stuff. 

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, patronkus said:

Nature's Terror should be Foe Only.

I would tend to agree since I've made the same tweak for my PoE2 mod, but this small mod is less ambitious. 

It is fast cast in PoE1 though, a feature it does not have in PoE2. And it can work situationnaly. Which is okay since you don't really have to spend ability point to get it. The possibility to cast a situationnal Druid/Priest spell basically comes for free, and you'll have Electrical damages talent most of the time.

I won't try to balance all abilities, just classes. I don't think Nature's Terror is an issue for druid as a whole so I won't tweak it. 

On 5/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, patronkus said:

Infestation of Maggots AOE should be big (like in POE 2)

PoE2 Maggots do 0 to full damages depending on target health. PoE1 do 10 to 20 damages depending On target health. It is smaller but significantly stronger and easier to use. 

18 hours ago, draego said:

Definitely would be some welcomed changes. Although POE did balance classes better than dnd , the casters still end up with so much power. I do like nerf ideas. Also i know this probably wouldn't be included but for me the other reason Priest are top tier class is they counter all enemy CC/debuff. I know there are a few abilities from other classes that counter stuff but there is not enough. I also know that Lore/Scrolls also are viable for countering CC. It would nice if the counters to CC were spread out more in actual abilities. Basically add or modify other classes to have prayer like abilities. 

Small example would be ranger Heal Companion. maybe it could suppress or just remove status affects and also heal. Its hard to compare to POE2 but they added a buff along with the heal. Or maybe it could remove a certain set of CC like a prayer.

True about priest. That said immunity is less of a concern because of scrolls. Scrolls have an easier time replacing situational abilities that you won't cast every battles than party buffs you want to cast every time. 

So I agree with the concern, but won't make it a priority. 

Also its funny how Druid is S tier which I agree it is (i still remember the great Druid/Rogue who can do more melee dps posts lol, poor rogue , couldnt out dps a caster class in melee rip) but there are no nerfs proposed. 

But I basically buffed every other classes. 

That said my concern about casters was mostly about boss battles where they have more juice. I isn't possible to change without changing the whole system (with fewer but per encounter abilities, as in PoE2) 

There are small nerfs i can think about for wizards like Chill Fog , which seems to strong for level 1 spell. It needs to either be longer duration between ticks , or a higher tier spell, or a different status than Blinded. 

I just started a new run so i will have to get back into the swing of things to think about other stuff. 

Sure but please keep in mind the relative low ambition of the mod. It is mostly aimed to make class balance more well rounded, not to address everything (I just can't "invest" that much)

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

I would tend to agree since I've made the same tweak for my PoE2 mod, but this small mod is less ambitious. 

It is fast cast in PoE1 though, a feature it does not have in PoE2. And it can work situationnaly. Which is okay since you don't really have to spend ability point to get it. The possibility to cast a situationnal Druid/Priest spell basically comes for free, and you'll have Electrical damages talent most of the time.

I won't try to balance all abilities, just classes. I don't think Nature's Terror is an issue for druid as a whole so I won't tweak it. 

PoE2 Maggots do 0 to full damages depending on target health. PoE1 do 10 to 20 damages depending On target health. It is smaller but significantly stronger and easier to use. 

True about priest. That said immunity is less of a concern because of scrolls. Scrolls have an easier time replacing situational abilities that you won't cast every battles than party buffs you want to cast every time. 

So I agree with the concern, but won't make it a priority. 

But I basically buffed every other classes. 

That said my concern about casters was mostly about boss battles where they have more juice. I isn't possible to change without changing the whole system (with fewer but per encounter abilities, as in PoE2) 

Sure but please keep in mind the relative low ambition of the mod. It is mostly aimed to make class balance more well rounded, not to address everything (I just can't "invest" that much)

Thanks for clarifying. Unfamiliar with whats easy/hard to change so can understand your decisions. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I planned to start working on it this summer but I unfortunately didn't have the time.

Don't know when I'll have some. Busy times right now. Oh now that I am grown up with kids I wish I could get back all those hours wasted on Diablo 3 🙂 (Meanwhile completing Guild Wars 1 in Hard Mode was well spent 😉 )

So if any fellow modder has some time to spare, feel free to implement whatever you want from this thread (you could just refer it for the design part)