I usually build Pallegina as a crusader or herald.

In this playthrough I tried dual wielding crusader (I usually go with 2H) but the damage is still not great (rest of the team is Watcher Priest, Eder Swashbuckler, Maia Scout, Xoti Priest) and they are all out damaging her. By a lot.

She's using the Reckless Brigandine with Kapana Tanga and Shattered Vengeance as I thought I could improve her attack speed this way. She's also equipped with the following items:

• boltcatcher
  • Chameleo's Touch
  • The Maker's Own Power
  • Ring of Prosperity Fortune (15% hit to crit)
  • Boots of Stone
  • Cog oh Cohh (not optimal but precognition + claim and refusal are already used by Maia and Eder).
  • Cloak of greater protection

Am I doing something very wrong or is there no way to build her as a decent melee damage dealer? And if it's not really possible to build her this way, what other char could replace her in melee (doing damage and distracting enemies so my backline can breath)? Eder is currently doing a great job at this but I'd like a 2nd "bruiser".

thanks!

Paladin is not really much of a melee damage dealer and Pallegina also doesn't have the stats for it.

For melee damage dealer off the official companions and sidekicks Rekke as Fighter/Monk or Fighter/Barbarian is your best bet, very solid 'bruiser', after that Mirke (as single class Monk), or Serafen as single class Barbarian. Aloth as Fighter/Wizard can also do it but I assume you already assigned him to another class.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

Try Wrath of the Five Suns to mark the enemy, also Reckless Brigandine is slowing her down use something lighter.

As the user above said her stats aren't that great for DPS so she will never shine at it, well she doesn't seem to shine at anything to be honest.

Edited by kronozord

1 hour ago, kronozord said:

As the user above said her stats aren't that great for DPS so she will never shine at it, well she doesn't seem to shine at anything to be honest.

the one thing i've found her to shine at (at least compared to any other paladin build) is to proc a bajillion stacks of Combusting Wounds using her otherwise-extremely-lame Wrath of the Five Suns.

(most of the time IMO it's not worth using over just a normal Sworn Enemey, esp on PotD. it does real lame damage (on PotD it's basically doomed to always underpenetrate, too), and it uses *2* zeal, which is far more limiting)

• Thanks 1

Herald:

If you don't concentrate on weapon dmg but dmg with invocation (mainly Her Revenge) with Eternal Deviation (burning lash applies to invocation) and Sasha's Singing Scimitar (shocking lash applies to invocation, too - also 1* empower per encounter) she will do well as damage dealer. With Beta's Toothed Blade in the other hand and decent ACC with the help of Eternal Devotion and Ring of Focused Flame you can apply -2 AR to the targets with hells with dos, too. Eternal Devotion's lash lasts pretty long as some point, so you can substitute your dps by casting Brand Enemy on a lot of enemies right at the start of battle. It's an instant cast and has no recovery, only short animation time. So dropping it on 5+ enemies doesn't take long. I guess 2 or 2.5 secs. 

---

SC Paladin:

Other alternative for the later game is to use her as SC Paladin and have a party member with the Many Lives Pass By chant. Pick Devine Retribution, get +2 Zeal for every dead skeleton and spam FoD endlessly. If you can lower DR and/or raise PEN in the party (for example via Cipher, +8 PEN) you could also spam Wrath of the Five Suns endlessly. If you have a Priest with Triumph of the Crusaders and a "on-kill" pet as well as self-damage reducing items like Voidward and +RES bonus you can also use Sacred Immolation a lot. 

---

Crusader:

As Crusader you can not reach superhigh dps normally - but you can build a very sturdy, reliable dmg dealer with pretty impressive dmg per hit which is usually a menace for backline enemies. With a Great Sword+modal and Ring of Focused Flame, Sworn Enemy, Inspired Beacon and the other offensive stuff from Fighter and Paladin you can land high dmg strikes reliably because the acc malis of the modal gets countered by FoD and the Ring. You can get away with light armor bc. of Constant Recovery and Lay on Hands and also decent enough defenses (Refreshing Defense + Paladin passive for example). Benweth's Armor + Armored Grace + Abraham pet makes you faster than wearing no armor. Devil of Caroc Breastplate + Armored Grace + Abraham also makes a great combo.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

17 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

SC Paladin:

Other alternative for the later game is to use her as SC Paladin and have a party member with the Many Lives Pass By chant. Pick Devine Retribution, get +2 Zeal for every dead skeleton and spam FoD endlessly. If you can lower DR and/or raise PEN in the party (for example via Cipher, +8 PEN) you could also spam Wrath of the Five Suns endlessly. If you have a Priest with Triumph of the Crusaders and a "on-kill" pet as well as self-damage reducing items like Voidward and +RES bonus you can also use Sacred Immolation a lot. 

Even better, just spam divine immolation (or sacred sacrifice) and use lay on hands or other heals as needed. If you can kill enough skellies you may be able to keep up inspired beacon also. I made a mini party with 2 paladins and a troubadour and the paladins just spammed divine immolation and inspired beacon while the troubadour sang many lives passed by and buffed the paladins. Got one skelly killed per 3s for +12 zeal per 6s :), could have had the paladins doing even more but this was plenty sufficient to burn through everything not immune to burn.