Blade Turning (part I) : destroy any Near Death without consent !

Usually, the spells or abilities that destroy Near Death on hit require at less to graze with the spell for Destroy : Death Ring (vs fortitude), Boil their Flesh (vs reflex), Worthy Sacrifice (deflection), etc, ... and Detonate (vs fortitude).

But this last is not like the others : in first, the spell is not foe-only, and the destroy effect is a separated thing than the first raw spell that trigger that on hit. Like for the other spells that is right, but only this Destroy effect is Melee

So the Destroy effect is redirected to another Near Death target with Blade Turning.

So the magic trick is to spam Detonate on a Near Death monk with Blade Turning and BDD (or Martyr's Memories). The AoE crush damage will help to reach the Near Death level to enemies around the Monk, and every Near Death (including friends and excepted the Monk) in a 20m range (like Sunlance) will be destroyed without hit-roll (the monk take the roll with the detonate hit) one after the other.

A transcendant can make by himself this exploit, with a priest for example to keep Blade Turning and Bdd for some times. Mortification of the Soul allow to him to loose quickly his life. An Ascendant can spam repeatedly Detonate.

To summarize, Detonate on a Near Death monk with Blade Turning cause to another Near Death to be destroyed "freely".

Edited by Constentin Lévine
  • Like 3

I would be careful. I used to goof around with Streetfighter/Helwalker where I essentially played as a glass cannon and dumped all defenses and solely relied on Blade Turning to not die in melee (as it is fairly useful with high intellect and recovery time bonus). However, it does not appear to work against all attacks, though I don't know why. Sometimes I would fight in melee and an attack would circumvent Blade Turning, even though the previous attack and the following attack do not. I did not move at all. I guess Blade Turning is not 100% reliable so be careful of blowing up your own monk.

2 minutes ago, NotDumbEnough said:

I would be careful. I used to goof around with Streetfighter/Helwalker where I essentially played as a glass cannon and dumped all defenses and solely relied on Blade Turning to not die in melee (as it is fairly useful with high intellect and recovery time bonus). However, it does not appear to work against all attacks, though I don't know why. Sometimes I would fight in melee and an attack would circumvent Blade Turning, even though the previous attack and the following attack do not. I did not move at all. I guess Blade Turning is not 100% reliable so be careful of blowing up your own monk.

Perhaps the problem is special ability attacks or weapon effects? If I recall correctly some are not actually coded as melee attacks, which would mean BT would not avert them.

14 minutes ago, dgray62 said:

If I recall correctly some are not actually coded as melee attacks, which would mean BT would not avert them.

Yes it is the reason, Blade Turning redirect 100% of melee attacks but not others. 

For example, if you attack a Blade Turning monk with Frosteeker, he take the 3 projectiles but redirect the AoE-on-crit because that is melee. 

A blade turning monk redirect also the projectiles from Concelhault's Crushing Doom, the Frightened effect from Venombloom, the hostile Wall's damage (at 10m range ), and Worthy Sacrifice full attack. That mean it is possible to get 2x the +2all ressources if 2 near death enemies are nearby.

Edited by Constentin Lévine
  • Like 1

• Constentin Lévine changed the title to Blade Turning (part I) : destroy any Near Death without consent !
2 hours ago, Waski said:

nice but was it just me unaware that You can disintegrate -> detonate Hauani o Whe to prevent split?

I think the Disintegrate on-kill effect work even if another destroy effect kill the target :

with 2 Essence Interrupter, each with one different upgrade, both on-kill effects are applied (2 creatures spawn). Both effects destroy the target. I mean the Disintegrate effect should be applied anyway.

Yes, or rather have Hauani get an immunity to destroy attack? I think because the effect of Disintegrate is basically different than the others : that trigger not on kill like Essence Interrupter or on hit vs Near Death like some others, but on unconsious (that dont come from the attacker but from the target). 

I spoke about Essence Interrupter to "demonstrate" the possibility to stack different Destroy effects.