Anime and Manga - < To Be Continued I \ I /

PK htiw klaw eriF

I randomly stumbled over "How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?" and it's just lol.

Of all the things JoJo did, it really got me into this Gym Gods stuff.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?

how-heavy-are-the-dumbbells-that-you-lif

:no: 

edit:

I'd rather watch My Dress-Up Darling, I think. If someone would force me to pick, that is. 

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I'd rather watch My Dress-Up Darling, I think. If someone would force me to pick, that is. 

firefox_38aqGciYnz.png

Episode 8 of Martial Artist Myao: Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure how you would take that one because of how utterly stupid and absurd it all was, but it seems Myao makes all things good for the both of us, :p. Speaking of Myao, I look forward to your thoughts on episode 9...

14 hours ago, majestic said:

To be "fair" to the OVA, I haven't talked much about the decent things there are. It looks good, the animation is good, like you already noted, Ms. IItō's character designs are really great in her own style, which also ends up being a detriment at times because they look so distinctly like "her" characters and reminded me a bit of Sailor Moon every now and then. There are moments in the OVA that are brilliant character stuff, but it's always in between Takeo summoning panties on his face, getting a nosebleed from seeing Sae, Nanaka and Akana in their swimwear or Sae flying a broom handle up Takeo's butt where I'm like: "Guys, I didn't find any of that funny when I was the target demographic for it, and it's not gotten funny in the meantime, how am I supposed to take the nice character moments serious now?"

Yeah, feel free to take a guess as to what the viewers of this show like to upload screenshots of for it, :).

Spoiler

Hint: It's sadly not the main character's dope haircut, :p. I find that what viewers upload as a "sample" of the shows they like has a tendency to be unfortunately accurate.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Episode 8 of Martial Artist Myao: Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure how you would take that one because of how utterly stupid and absurd it all was, but it seems Myao makes all things good for the both of us, :p. Speaking of Myao, I look forward to your thoughts on episode 9...

Normally there'd be a whole lot to complain about, like all the contrivances necessary for the episodes to work, but this ain't the type of show where that really matters at all. Like, where does Myao get her money from all of a sudden? How is it they run into hijinks every time, why do they always leave an episode and area together, but always seem to arrive seperately at the same point? It's baffling, and totally inconsequential. It's just goofy fun.

Plus a whole lot of violence that is pretty cartoony. It sure is trash, but it's... great. :p 

So yeah, of course Myao can heal a broken neck be being scared of a (bad) faith healer and end up in his flock, and spend the rest of the episode walking around with that incredibly retarded "I know Jesus personally" look on her face. Heh.

I'll watch episode nine soon. Probably once I get home, but yeah, office time today. 

Yeah, feel free to take a guess as to what the viewers of this show like to upload screenshots of for it, :).

Spoiler

Well, I imagine it'll be images like these:

87128.webp

Akane sitting by the campfire at night, talking to Nanaka.

2a0d3e5c36b4486150fc81408c3f579d14804570

Or Nanaka and Sae talking after Ayanojō rejected her.

2342da406cf5087dc7dfb569d04a54e0b794b40f

Perhaps a little bit of gay panic attack?

f94556be09071ea308deca15e5ad5586741053c8

Or a shot of the rather hilarious club uniforms they wear?

Right? I mean...

Reveal hidden contents

Hint: It's sadly not the main character's dope haircut, :p. I find that what viewers upload as a "sample" of the shows they like has a tendency to be unfortunately accurate.

Oh... :p 

Edited by majestic

9 minutes ago, majestic said:

Normally there'd be a whole lot to complain about, like all the contrivances necessary for the episodes to work, but this ain't the type of show where that really matters at all. Like, where does Myao get her money from all of a sudden? How is it they run into hijinks every time, why do they always leave an episode and area together, but always seem to arrive seperately at the same point? It's baffling, and totally inconsequential. It's just goofy fun.

Plus a whole lot of violence that is pretty cartoony. It sure is trash, but it's... great. :p 

So yeah, of course Myao can heal a broken neck be being scared of a (bad) faith healer and end up in his flock, and spend the rest of the episode walking around with that incredibly retarded "I know Jesus personally" look on her face. Heh.

Yeah, but normally, that kind of stuff would not really work for me, but for some reason with this show, it didn't. Right off the bat, too - I called it trash from the very first episode, and yet, before I even liked the characters, it felt like it was working for me. Why this but not for so many other things like it? I don't know. It's doing something(s) right that I can't quite pinpoint that I wish I could.

Jesus-freak Myao was hilarious.

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

Oh...

Indeed, :p. This is how I knew right off the bat before you started watching it that it would be...trouble at its best.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

I randomly stumbled over "How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?" and it's just lol.

Of all the things JoJo did, it really got me into this Gym Gods stuff.

Some of these anime titles are wild and while the content may not be great it's charming in a way.

4 hours ago, majestic said:

:no: 

edit:

Pathetic, these ladies need to learn the art of posing from real gym gods.

f342d72d15ae14a503615f0df4cc6fc5.jpg

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

firefox_38aqGciYnz.png

Wrong, the winning move is to play them together and watch as they rip a hole through the fabric of reality.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Wrong, the winning move is to play them together and watch as they rip a hole through the fabric of reality.

Not the fabric of reality, just my brain.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not the fabric of reality, just my brain.

The brain hole is a result of reality collapsing. Come on Bart, the universe is going to end anyways so it doesn't matter if you hasten it by trying to rip holes in reality. Bill Gates wants you to avoid destroying reality so he can force you into becoming his thrall and using your soul to ascend to divinity where he will rule over the Milky Way as a God Emperor. Wake Up!

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

34 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

The brain hole is a result of reality collapsing. Come on Bart, the universe is going to end anyways so it doesn't matter if you hasten it by trying to rip holes in reality. Bill Gates wants you to avoid destroying reality so he can force you into becoming his thrall and using your soul to ascend to divinity where he will rule over the Milky Way as a God Emperor. Wake Up!

You've watched My Dress-Up Darling and How Heavy Are The Boobs You Have? at the same time already, haven't you? :p 

Indeed, :p. This is how I knew right off the bat before you started watching it that it would be...trouble at its best.

I know, I ignored the warnings and now have to suffer the consequences of not heeding them. :yes: 

Yeah, but normally, that kind of stuff would not really work for me, but for some reason with this show, it didn't. Right off the bat, too - I called it trash from the very first episode, and yet, before I even liked the characters, it felt like it was working for me. Why this but not for so many other things like it? I don't know. It's doing something(s) right that I can't quite pinpoint that I wish I could.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but while I know why I like it (I do enjoy my absurd shows, after all), for what it is worth, it makes no sense to me either why you like it. :shrugz: I mean, by all means, you should... not enjoy it. Hate it? No. But enjoy? :p 

Jesus-freak Myao was hilarious.

That she was indeed. :) 

Edited by majestic

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

You've watched My Dress-Up Darling and How Heavy Are The Boobs You Have? at the same time already, haven't you? :p 

I've watched things you people wouldn't believe.

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Sure Roy, sure... :p 

Time to die.

Then return as a vampire because of the Stone Mask.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but while I know why I like it (I do enjoy my absurd shows, after all), for what it is worth, it makes no sense to me either why you like it. :shrugz: I mean, by all means, you should... not enjoy it. Hate it? No. But enjoy? :p 

Not just like it either, but actually kind of love it! This is why I still sometimes leave my comfort zone to try things I reasonably shouldn't. Surprises sometimes do happen - hey, again, that's why we're all here after all, isn't it? Me taking a big leap of faith in watching Nausicaa based purely off a fleeting feeling I got from looking at a single solitary poster...and probably an even bigger one again for Sailor Moon, and starting to post about it here and resurrecting a like 5 year old thread. I could've super easily ignored that feeling - indeed, why wouldn't I? I'd hated anime all my life, and I'd never seen anything from it to dissuade me from that notion...until I was struck by that poster. Guess that's exactly why I didn't, but it was still a pretty big leap of faith that ran counter to all my pre-conceived notions. A little beauty of life, learning, and chance occurrences right there (...especially because there was also no reason for me to start posting about it here!).

Now specifically for Warlord Ran and Mountain King Myao, obviously there are some qualities that I can see myself liking it for...but the whole picture together doesn't make a lot of sense based on what we know of myself...but there's obviously something there - it's just difficult for me to pinpoint exactly what does it to make it work for me so well. Maybe it's just a combination of different factors - a specific style of humor that I like (many a facepalm were had in the watching this show, but all of them accompanied by laughs or at least good-natured groans!), characters that somehow didn't annoy me right off the bat, art style and animation that I liked, even liking the little musical and sound effect touches...really, maybe it is just a matter of all those little things being right for me that makes it work, as opposed to immediately wrong as is so often the case with things I try.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Time to die.

Then return as a vampire because of the Stone Mask.

OH MY GOD!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

OH MY GOD!

SPACE RIPPER STINGY EYES!

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Oh, I watched that as well, the first two episodes at least. 🥲

• Gasp! 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I kinda like the art style, which is why I started watching it for a few minutes, then I kinda got into it. Now if just it wouldn't all be so damn stupid and cringe. Also the japanese obsession with super sized boobs is kinda bleh.

• Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Also the japanese obsession with super sized boobs is kinda bleh.

I don't think that's specifically a Japanese thing.

• Like 2

One Punch Man, episode 1. I was planning on watching this years ago, but I put it off like a bazillion times. First episode was alright, I'll probably watch another episode or two at least - basic premise is the main character is a hero that became too strong for his own good and is not only bored to death with it all due to it being repetitive and unchallenging and meaningless, but is also finding himself to be losing his humanity as a result.

51 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I don't think that's specifically a Japanese thing.

Is it even a Japanese thing, or is it an anime thing? I get that anime is reflective of Japan to a degree, but it seems more like an uncomfortable anime sub-culture thing than something affecting Japan at large...otherwise, wouldn't like, all of their pop-stars and actors and models also be affected?

...I just Googled "japanese female pop-stars" because I was pretty sure the vast majority of their women pop-stars are like...very petite and in their early 20s and who all have to try to look as pristine as possible at all times lest they be replaced, and I'm treated to a pile of assault and abuse stories that popped up. Wonderful - that's enough Googling for today.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Is it even a Japanese thing, or is it an anime thing?

There's a sizeable big tiddy obsession worldwide that seems to cut across cultural lines and permeates different media and subculture. I can see an argument for anime/manga that big ol tiddies make it easier to distinguish a character as being a woman, considering that faces can often be drawn similarly. Another is that in a medium that allows and encourages exaggeration, and as such making large breasts is not much different than giant swords or gym gods. Regardless anime isn't alone in this, superhero comics are often notorious for comically (OH MY GOD! A dumb pun!) exaggerated figures. So who is to say whether this is exaggeration in a medium known for it or because Japan considers large breasts especially attractive? It could be both to various degrees.

Uh, I almost typed a few paragraphs about NSFW stuff. Somehow I had the sense to stop when it went into pondering about the Freudian aspect of expecting/desiring women in more matronly roles to have more ample bosoms. Okie dokie, time to talk abouts something else.

GioGio Golden Wind: The Gang Takes a Boat Ride. If JoJo is consistent about one thing, it is the danger of vehicles when vampires or stand users are around.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

There's a sizeable big tiddy obsession worldwide that seems to cut across cultural lines and permeates different media and subculture. I can see an argument for anime/manga that big ol tiddies make it easier to distinguish a character as being a woman, considering that faces can often be drawn similarly. Another is that in a medium that allows and encourages exaggeration, and as such making large breasts is not much different than giant swords or gym gods. Regardless anime isn't alone in this, superhero comics are often notorious for comically (OH MY GOD! A dumb pun!) exaggerated figures. So who is to say whether this is exaggeration in a medium known for it or because Japan considers large breasts especially attractive? It could be both to various degrees.

Good point in comparing it to superhero comics - further makes me think it's not really a Japanese thing, and its extreme and disproportionate representation in anime is more of a subculture thing...probably as a natural result of the limitations and also freedoms of the medium as per the explanations you mentioned. It also doesn't hurt that most of the subcultures (not limited to Japan!) where it appears in its most extreme are predominantly aimed at teenage boys, I'm sure - anime, comic books, video games...

35 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Another is that in a medium that allows and encourages exaggeration, and as such making large breasts is not much different than giant swords or gym gods.

What does it say about the type of person you are if you dislike all of these things? :p Guess I didn't get the memo from old Freud...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 2

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

What does it say about the type of person you are if you dislike all of these things? :p

It could be a lot of things, some much less flattering than others. "Not the target audience of stuff for teenage boys" is probably the most descriptive of you.

But seriously you don't like giant swords? Do you want to make Guts cry?

6f8.png

Shame on you Sue, this guy has had it really bad.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

It could be a lot of things, some much less flattering than others. "Not the target audience of stuff for teenage boys" is probably the most descriptive of you.

Have always hated giant swords...but at the very least, if you're going to have them and want me to treat it even sort of seriously, you're gonna have to make them appropriately weighty a la Asuka and the fake Spears of Longinus. Do that, and I'll probably mostly forgive it - fly around with and use them like they're the same thing as a normal sword (which should already be appropriately weighty as it is!), and my eyes are gonna roll into the back of my skull.

Two more episodes of One Punch Man. It doesn't feel like entertainment made for me exactly, but I am being entertained well enough - it's decently fun. I have to assume that Mr. Satan will eventually meet his match, though, because it's been patently and immediately clear that nothing that's tried to attack him has been even remotely as strong as him. I do appreciate that he has no patience for silly long-winded shonen or villain speeches - his "apprentice" nearly gave him an aneurysm when he tried to give the whole "shonen origin story" schpiel, and "explain the gist of the story in 20 words or less" was an appropriate response, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Have always hated giant swords...but at the very least, if you're going to have them and want me to treat it even sort of seriously, you're gonna have to make them appropriately weighty a la Asuka and the fake Spears of Longinus. Do that, and I'll probably mostly forgive it - fly around with and use them like they're the same thing as a normal sword (which should already be appropriately weighty as it is!), and my eyes are gonna roll into the back of my skull.

Two more episodes of One Punch Man. It doesn't feel like entertainment made for me exactly, but I am being entertained well enough - it's decently fun. I have to assume that Mr. Satan will eventually meet his match, though, because it's been patently and immediately clear that nothing that's tried to attack him has been even remotely as strong as him. I do appreciate that he has no patience for silly long-winded shonen or villain speeches - his "apprentice" nearly gave him an aneurysm when he tried to give the whole "shonen origin story" schpiel, and "explain the gist of the story in 20 words or less" was an appropriate response, :p.

The whole shtick of the OPM is subverting the shonen genre. I think that there will never be a match for him, it will probably go down the route of throwing more and more ridiculous opponents at him.

Btw, have you ever seen the original webcomic the manga and anime are based on?

Spoiler

it-started-as-a-webcomic-1506705178.jpg

Edited by Sarex
  • Gasp! 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP