Anime and Manga - < To Be Continued I \ I /

PK htiw klaw eriF

Weeb comment of the week(tm):

Spoiler

Once one starts dabbling in the language it becomes readily apparent just how impossible it would be to replace the writing system of Japanese, at least not without creating a whole slew of problems, and removing a whole lot of fun in the process. As far as I remember there actually was an attempt directly after World War 2 to introduce romaji as the go-to writing system in Japan. It obviously failed.

Look at the title of Girls' Last Tour: 少女終末旅行, this is shōjo shūmatsu ryokō in romaji. The title is pretty much what this means. Girls' Last Tour. 終末 (shūmatsu) is ending, the end, something final and also used for terminal/fatal medical conditions. Also forms the basis for words like doomsday or eschatology.

週末, which is also very helpfully read shūmatsu, means weekend.

週末旅行, shūmatsu ryokō means weekend trip.

終末旅行, shūmatsu ryokō means final trip, last tour.

There's an awful lot of these homophones, and some even mean the same with different nuances. Even when looking at something comparatively simple like the word kiku - to hear or to ask, depending on the context. In writing, it is one of these three:

聞, 聴, 訊

The three kanji are read as "ki" in this case, and く is hiragana for ku -> kiku.

聞く means to hear, or to ask.

聴く means to listen.

訊く means to ask.

The difference between the last two is actually fairly simple to see once you know the kanji for ear () and word (言). As you can see there's an ear in the kanji for to listen, and a word in the kanji for to ask (to say is by the way 言う - iu, not to be confused with 話す, hanasu - to talk), and one can deduce the difference between 聞 and 聴 too. The two symbols that aren't an ear in 聞 are gates, so 聞 is when you pick up something in passing while 聴 is when you listen to something with intent.

In other words, while you can certianly 聞く to music, you need to be careful to properly differentiate between music running in the background, like a radio at work, or when you 聴く to music at home - but only in writing. :yes:

That also kinda explains why it's more fun to read than to listen for me.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Reflection

The intro for this film is eight minutes long. It shows a family of four on a dying world, with the parents trying to save the planet. It then flash fowards ten years, the project has failed and the father of the two girls is dying of an unspecified disease that is at the core of whatever the planet itself is also dying from. Cue soft piano music (tm) and the younger sister resolves to do something about it and is seen using a dimensional transporter with another character called Iris who probably shouldn't even be there to go... somewhere (it ends up being Earth).

I'm pretty sure the two are going to look for something ancient and dangerous, making this the fourth out of four times someone's been looking for dangerous old artifacts or has some dangerous old artifact that will cause interdimensional devastation when left alone.

I don't think I'll be able to finish this film in one sitting, and while the animation is looking better than ViVid's or ViVid Strike!'s, it's still not great.

edit:

The thingmabob is called the ETERNAL CRYSTAL, Iris is some sort of magical device Kyrie has, and they already know that they'll eventually run afoul of the DEFENDERS OF THE URF and that Princess Serenity isn't going to give out the MAGICAL SILVER CRYSTAL without a fight... wait a moment, I'm mixing things up here. So, anyway, ETERNAL CRYSTAL. Yay...

edit 2:

Oh no, this isn't a sequel to StrikerS, this is playing between A's and StrikerS. Hayate, Fate and Nanoha are currently in fifth grade of elementary school. I kind of got used to the naked girls being at least 14 or 15 years old, and now we're moving from creepy to excessively creepy. Sure, movie might yet surprise me by having no underage nudity, but seriously, that wold be a first, huh?

Edited by majestic
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

Cue soft piano music (tm)

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, majestic said:

ETERNAL CRYSTAL

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

I kind of got used to the naked girls being at least 14 or 15 years old

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm just going to leave this here:

EONDtOT.png

"This must be that Woodstock place Mom and Dad always talk about."

I'd give you guys a warning to put on sunglasses and put this in spoiler tags, but that would ruin the experience.

no-eyes-needed-gif.178307

• Confused 1

Okay, I think I'm done for today. Forgive me the double post, but Hayate has just been intercepted. I mean, luckily intercepted because she was on her way to a bath house where Fate and Nanoha were waiting for her, but now a large truck and a construction vehicle crashed in front of the car she was riding in, then there was an explosion and... and... and... and...

Yeah, now the construction vehicles are reforming into semi-CGI transformer style combat vehicles with gatling guns.

Nps3Nyk.png

I feel like the unnamed seeker of the mirror in Manilla Road's Cage of Mirrors:

On the crest of eternity, a bell for every day
That I've lived in silent search of the mirrored cage
[...]

The cage appears before my eyes, I feel I'm in a dream
To the other side of Hell I cast my spell and scream
I summon Lucifer and his warriors
I... I found the cage of mirrors

[...]

Take me back the way I came, I don't want to see
The evil that awaits my name, I live in agony
I would send back Lucifer and his warriors
But I'm trapped in a cage of mirrors

I feel more and more like Corypheus had a point here.

"To correct this blighted world" indeed.

20967f4ff86bb6b7583ec3cbb565babd.gif

Edited by majestic

28 minutes ago, majestic said:

gatling guns

Gatling guns in anime just makes me think of that gosh-awful sequence at the beginning of...Evangelion Rebuild 4, I think it was? You'll have to tell me whether it's better or worse than that, :p.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Gatling guns in anime just makes me think of that gosh-awful sequence at the beginning of...Evangelion Rebuild 4, I think it was? You'll have to tell me whether it's better or worse than that, :p.

I'll let you know tomorrow, I'm not going back to that fount of madness before I had a good night's sleep. So far the film's been seizure inducing in different ways than Rebuild, but the scenes were shorter. Might be that this one takes the cake, but there's only one Hayate and three enemy vehicles, so the chance that it'll be a bad as the opening of Rebuild: The Dark Zone is very small indeed. 

On the other hand the movie also already had a Nanoha and Fate transformation sequence, and Rebuild, for all its fanservicy flaws, never stooped that low. Fate might wield a bardiche in combat, but she really got the short end of the stick when it comes to the fanservice.

• Like 1

Diamond is Unbreakable: Atom Heart Father 

David Bowie's dad takes pictures and Okuyasu runs into a window.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Time for something... else.

風まかせ月影蘭, episode 1.

Spoiler

Ever since this was mentioned and I've looked up a few infos about it I've wondered about how it can be about a samurai, turns out it isn't. The subtitles unhelpfully call Ran a samurai, but everyone clearly addresses her as ronin, which makes a lot more sense. An actual samurai wouldn't wander around. Okay, actual samurai wouldn't be women either, but who really cares about that.

The first episode establishes that Myao is a bit on the, uhm, mentally challenged side and that Ran is a broke drunkard, and it pretty much also establishes the formula this is going to follow, I guess. They'll show up somewhere, Myao is going to get them into trouble and even though Ran will try to stay out of it she'll end up being involved anyway.

All in all a decent opening episode, likeable main characters, somewhat funny at times, seems to poke a bit of fun at similar but serious offerings while still being faithful to the genre.

The opening credits are also something to... not behold perhaps, but to listen to. It's not that often anime shows open with an enka ballad.

Speaking of the intro, Japanese enka music has an eery amount of similarities with modernized "traditional" Central European and Balkan music. I guess some things are really universal.

Compare...

To, say...

Yeah. Excuse me while I go find something to stop the bleeding of my eardrums. :p

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

24 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah. Excuse me while I go find something to stop the bleeding of my eardrums.

I like both the intro and the outro...but I can't say the same for either of the linked videos, :p.

Ever since this was mentioned and I've looked up a few infos about it I've wondered about how it can be about a samurai, turns out it isn't. The subtitles unhelpfully call Ran a samurai, but everyone clearly addresses her as ronin, which makes a lot more sense. An actual samurai wouldn't wander around. Okay, actual samurai wouldn't be women either, but who really cares about that.

"Samurai" is pretty well-accepted in English, while "ronin" is not. Proof: I had no idea what a "ronin" was until you just mentioned it and subsequently Googled it to find out it means "lordless/wandering samurai". I would have certainly translated it to samurai as the closest approximation as well, especially since there's not really any functional difference in meaning for an English watcher/reader - it's obvious that she is wandering/lordless, after all.

The first episode establishes that Myao is a bit on the, uhm, mentally challenged side and that Ran is a broke drunkard, and it pretty much also establishes the formula this is going to follow, I guess. They'll show up somewhere, Myao is going to get them into trouble and even though Ran will try to stay out of it she'll end up being involved anyway.

Hmm...more or less the spirit of the show, but I wouldn't be so quick to put all the blame on Myao.

Spoiler

One odd thing I noticed was that...it seemed like a few non-characters - i.e. characters that show up for only one episode - are...recycled sometimes? There's this one black-haired lady that I swear shows up in like 5 episodes but she has a different name every time...

All in all a decent opening episode, likeable main characters, somewhat funny at times, seems to poke a bit of fun at similar but serious offerings while still being faithful to the genre.

Yep, :p. I think the show gets better as it goes on, personally. Glad the first episode wasn't a total disaster for you!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

GioGio’s Bizarre Adventure, Golden Wind 20-25

The gang finishes the mission, have a last meal in Venice Venezia and learn all the lessons the Stardust Crusaders had learnt. This is JoJo, so there will be people acting weirdly, tongues and bad choices for transportation.

Spoiler

FrankNiceBlobfish-size_restricted.gif

Kira would have loved to be the one delivering Torisho to the Boss. Her hand would look like a reward to him.

Bucciarati: Let’s first discover how to counter the boss’ ability.

Also Bucciarati, 1 episode later: First we need to find out the boss’ identity.

There were a lot of amputations in these episodes. If GioGio dies, will all the body parts he created disappear? Is Bucciarati basically a zombie now?

If Torisho’s Stando worked on people, they could just jump out of the plane.

If I told the plot of this episode, no one would believe me:

ec7c75c5d11cb1f7672a2fdd8d53ed2d.jpg

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

26 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

If I told the plot of this episode, no one would believe me:

That's just JoJo in general.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 minutes ago, Sarex said:

@majestic Of all the songs you picked that one... 😶

I originally had some Dino Merlin lined up (something like Deset mlađa), or thought about Enes Begović (say, Samo jednom se zivi perhaps) but I wanted something more obviously similar to the first enka ballad I originally used and that was pretty much the only thing I found on short notice. Then I switched the Japanese song out, and yeah, it ended up being a mess. Never mind. :p

The thing is, anyway, you can take any of the more popular Enka hits on YouTube and if you don't speak either Japanese or Serbo-Croatian you're not really going to notice much of a difference our could tell which is which, as long as you can't pick out the more traditional instruments. 

:p

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

I originally had some Dino Merlin lined up (something like Deset mlađa), or thought about Enes Begović (say, Samo jednom se zivi perhaps) but I wanted something more obviously similar to the first enka ballad I originally used and that was pretty much the only thing I found on short notice. Then I switched the Japanese song out, and yeah, it ended up being a mess. Never mind. :p

The thing is, anyway, you can take any of the more popular Enka hits on YouTube and if you don't speak either Japanese or Serbo-Croatian you're not really going to notice much of a difference our could tell which is which, as long as you can't pick out the more traditional instruments. 

:p

I did get your point. I was just poking some fun.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

GioGio’s Bizarre Adventure, Golden Wind 26-32

GioGio and the gang enjoy a sunny day on the beach. Doppio, Cioccolata and Secco compete to see who is weirder. We find out more about Stando powers.

Spoiler

More amputations, crazy people and failed transportations. Cars crash, a boat and even a helicopter blow up. And tongues!

Risotto and Mariah would make quite a team.

Why didn’t Zombiarati tear Secco into unzipped pieces when he punched the guy?? He got several chances. And we didn't get to see Supisu Garu face Oashisu with their similar powers!

Secco is totally insane. And his Stando power was for more effective than I anticipated.

secco-jojo.gifjojo-slurp.gif

Why didn’t Porunareffo call Jotaru to help him? Instead he waited for these amateurs (if compared to the Stardust Crusaders).

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran, episode 2.

Something's wrong with my copy, the subtitles turn themselves off after the introduction and I have to switch them back on. Ah, well. I've actually looked at the Japanese Wikipedia page for a spell because I can't for the life of me read those title cards. I mean, parts of them, but yikes.

There are no spoilers in this spoiler tag, just an image to make the post better organized.

Spoiler

Just look at it for a bit:

uTdo7bH.png

According to Wikipedia, both English and Japanese, that reads:

酒に涙がしみていた

However, does any of you see that に (ni) next to the kanji for sake (酒)? That's a ga (が), right, and the ni is next to tear (涙)?

酒が涙にしみていた。is what I would be seeing. :p

The funny thing now is, the English episode title was translated from 酒が涙にしみていた, because the English epsiode title is "Sake made the tears sting", that makes sake the subject (marked by が) and tears the result of a change (marked by に). Also, because... yeah, I'm like that, as far as I know, the verb form used here indicates that an action happened in the past for a longer period of time or is still relevant to the present. Which means the better translation of the title is "Sake has made the tears sting" or "Sake had made the tears sting", right? I'm leaning towards the latter of the two because the show is playing in the past, more or less, and so that's something that has long since happened and that the sake made the tears sting happened a bit longer ago than when the episode is set.

Eh, and we're also back to why it's helpful to have kanji for everything, because しみる (the base form of しみていた) can also mean to soak or permeate (both in a physical and metaphorical sense, i.e. steeped in prejudice or just soaked in a liquid). In which case the Wikipedia reading becomes "The sake was soaked in tears", and what's actually on the title card (well, in my opinion) is something more akin to the sake was in tears.

Either way, I think the Wikipedia article reading is wrong. The English one probably copied it from the Japanese one. That, or the title card is wrong. That's possible too. Either way, the episode title was definitely translated from what's on the title card.

I've spent more than the runtime of the episode trying to figure this out. I'm actually pretty close to joining that Discord for the Japanese grammar channel just to ask. :p

I'll post some more when I've actually watched the episode. Maybe the context of what's happening on the screen will help. Heh.

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 2

Yeah, I certainly can't make out what Wikipedia says it is no matter how much I look at it. Seems like it'd be kind of hard to read in general to begin with before you start throwing in wrong symbols...

• Like 1

I'll not put the following into spoilers because that makes posting this harder than it already is. There's a plot point spoiler for the episode, but really, it doesn't matter one iota.

53 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I certainly can't make out what Wikipedia says it is no matter how much I look at it. Seems like it'd be kind of hard to read in general to begin with before you start throwing in wrong symbols...

Yeah, it's not the prettiest writing for sure. It works, after a fashion, but it's a good showcase of why people insist that learners should also learn how to properly write Japanese by hand in order to be able to read less than perfect writing later on. Well, that's a bridge I'll certainly never will cross, but that's neither here nor there.

Even though I have no real idea what I'm doing half of the time and cobbling everything together with my one month old limited understanding of a "somewhat" (warning, "minor" understatement) complex language, I think that we can dismiss the English episode title, given the content of the episode being primarily about watered down sake. As for whether the episode title card has a mistake or Wikipedia's list is wrong, that's something much harder to determine, also because there's a case to be made for either of the titles.

That is, however, assuming that the Japanese "shimiru" is working in the same way the English verb "to soak" is, and that's something I honestly do not know, and I really have no feeling for the language yet so I can't even make a guess. I don't know if you would need the passive form, so what's on the Wikipedia page may also just as well mean "there were tears in the sake"*, which we could probably throw out entirely, huh?

After watching the episode I'm leaning towards the title card being correct and the episode title being "The sake was (soaked) in tears" primarily because the -te ita form of a verb is used for the past progressive (not only, but it's the most common use, the other is to indicate an action in the past that is still relevant in the present, but the situation has been resolved, so that no longer applies, and I'm horribly overthinking this, am I not?) and an object soaking in something is doing something passively and over a longer time by definition, if not by form.

What I do know, however, is that the episode was funny and Meow Myao made me laugh once or twice.

Spoiler

I could have done without the old man dying, but how else would you spur Ran into action.

*Figuratively, not literally, but if the tears are the subject, they're actively soaking the sake, hence there were tears in the sake. Which isn't... wrong, either.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, it's not the prettiest writing for sure. It works, after a fashion, but it's a good showcase of why people insist that learners should also learn how to properly write Japanese by hand in order to be able to read less than perfect writing later on. Well, that's a bridge I'll certainly never will cross, but that's neither here nor there.

Ye gods, now that you mention it, I imagine handwriting was a pretty valued skill in Japan before computers...either that, or everyone was good at it because they had to be.

I'm gonna take your word for it on the rest of what you wrote re: the titles, :p. As I was writing out all of the episode titles after I'd finished the show, I noticed that they were, firstly, all statements, and secondly, all in the past tense, and I can't say that I can think of another show that's ever had both of those. Sailor Moon's titles were ridiculously long statements, but the past tense of Ran's makes it sound even more strange and clunky. I'm not exactly sure what they were going for there.

Myao is great. The first few episodes my thoughts about her were basically "she's so retarded, I don't think I'll ever quite like her" - it then transformed into "she's so retarded, how could I not like her?", :p.

• Like 1

Death Parade 12... just goes to show, that death is not the end (bad pun). Now where is my season 2???

The dark haired woman (whose name I looked up on a wiki: Chiyuki) is given a special treat by Decim (the bartender). Taken down into the off limits basement and shown how her mother is heart broken by her death and the pain she is causing others. Because the supervisor arbitor, Nona, tampered with Decim when he was created, he's able to feel Chiyuki's pain and emotions. Rather than a logical sentence, she gets an emotional sentence instead and gets sent to the elevator with reincarnation as destination. A bit of disagreement between Nona and her own boss, Occulus (which is some kind of big boss arbiter) about the folly of adding emotions to arbiters and influencing their sentencing.

https://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DParade1203-460x258.jpg

Mieruko-chan was a "non-ending". Now checking if there are going to be a second season. The manga continues for quite a bit after where the 12th anime episode ends, so I suppose there is a possibility.

Looks like the temp teacher wasn't the psychopath cat killer, brutally eviscerating the cats in the neighbourhood. In fact, he catches the cat killer and gives him a taste of his own medicine. Come to think of it, maybe he is a psychopath killer, just not of cats ☺️

Miko starts thinking about how to seek help against the visions and Godmother is flexing her muscles, getting out of retirement, in order to help Miko (although the latter doesn't know that yet)

Mieruko Chan Episode 12

Edit:... which leaves me to consider what to watch next. The Promised Neverland was suggested, I'll see what it's about.

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Ye gods, now that you mention it, I imagine handwriting was a pretty valued skill in Japan before computers...either that, or everyone was good at it because they had to be.

I doubt everyone was good at it, but it really explains why learning the correct stroke order can be helpful. That way you can make an educated guess what a kanji was supposed to be if it's not written properly - unless it's the wrong on, of course. If anyone ever wondered why being a scribe was a full time job in the days of yore, look no further. A Japanese (or Chinese, for that matter) scholar can probably spend their entire lifetime doing nothing else and still not know all of the characters.

Myao is great. The first few episodes my thoughts about her were basically "she's so retarded, I don't think I'll ever quite like her" - it then transformed into "she's so retarded, how could I not like her?", :p.

*totally drunk* You look like my acquaintance!

I'm gonna take your word for it on the rest of what you wrote re: the titles, :p. As I was writing out all of the episode titles after I'd finished the show, I noticed that they were, firstly, all statements, and secondly, all in the past tense, and I can't say that I can think of another show that's ever had both of those. Sailor Moon's titles were ridiculously long statements, but the past tense of Ran's makes it sound even more strange and clunky. I'm not exactly sure what they were going for there.

No idea why they're all in the past tense. Guess because the show plays in the past, must be the late Edo period. The caste system was abolished during the Meiji restoration, so for Ran to be a ronin/roshi it must still be the Edo period, but if people are aware of electricty it can only be sometime in the 19th century. Yes, back to overthinking a silly samurai show that's mostly about poking fun at the genre. 

The dialogue indicates as much too, people are using kisama to address Ran, which stopped being polite a very long time ago, and is an insult nowadays (and pretty much only used on TV). All in all probably not the best show to watch and try to decipher the modern language with. That said, it's entirely possible that the titles of the episodes are also written in antiquated Japanese with slightly different grammar. I have no idea. :) 

Stuff like that is probably intelligible for Japanese natives in the same way that reading Göthe in the original 18th/19th century German is for me. It's not exactly the, uhm, smoothest experience, but it's fine (lots of antiquated words, spellings are similar in pronunciation but different, and printed in Fraktur). The typeset is usually the biggest hurdle. Taking a quick look at it should tell you why. :p 

• Like 1

Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran, episode three.

Probably not the best episode to watch when you're feeling blue already. Somehow this is a whole lot more violent than I thought it would be. Not that I mind, I just won't be watching an episode of this series expecting it to cheer me up again. :p

Myao keeps being great. She's an awful lot like Usagi. I mean, not really, but then... somehow, yeah.

Follow up to yesterday's language nerding:

Spoiler

Read up a bit on the title of the last episode, by the way. The verb 染みる (shimiru) probably doesn't have a past progressive - or any progressive form - in Japanese because it is a state change (it has a set duration and can't be repeated indefinitely - something akin to standing up or waking up, and unlike eating or reading or writing) in which case title really is: The sake was soaked/drenched in tears*. Hm, maybe all this learning grammar isn't for naught, eh? Heh.

染みる is also intransitive. That makes sense, the subject doesn't soak an object**, after all - the subject just gets soaked in something. Outside of fantasy games, a subject can't sleep an object either, right? That also pretty much means that the English translation becomes even weirder, because in that one the sake is actively changing the state of the tears, so even if you reverse the subject and the result...

*Somewhat literal. For all I know that could be a figure of speech and mean the sake was crying so hard it ended up soaked in tears.

**Not actively, at least, and the verb is definitely not in the passive form.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Double post time!

Tamako Market, episode two.

This anime is so retarded I randomly burst out into laughter at an incredibly silly scene. I don't think I'm going to like this as much as K-On!, or even really start truly enjoying it beyond just thinking its okay (although, to be fair, I also thought that after the first couple of K-On! episodes, but K-On! got a second season that far surpassed what I thought the show could do, and this has only one and a movie, so yeah, not much chance at an improved second season), but at least it's not Magic User's Club or anything, right? :p

ls4FSg0.png

Colorful, dumb and... occasionally hilarious.

Hmm, the end of the episode there... (spoilers):

Spoiler

Set up some heartbreak for the future, concealed or otherwise. Tamako's friend Midori has a crush one someone she can't confess to, considering she talked about people being able to like anyone that's probably means Tamako, but Tamako already has a Romeo to go for, all things considered (the rival shop owner's son, that is).

Hey show, if you manage to make me like Midori somehow that might sting a little. Although, not sure if that's going to happen.

All in all this isn't bad, it's just... kinda overly, uhm, bubbly and dumb and... bubbly. Sometimes the scenes are so mesmerizingly bubbly and colorful and bubbly and all that I forget to read the subtitles, or I read them and don't actually get what they mean. At least the anime doesn't burn your eyes out, unlike Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop or that scene in the Nanoha movie I'm doing my darndest to pretend doesn't exist.

Edited by majestic

GioGio’s Bizarre Adventure, Golden Wind 33-39: Rekuiemu

Everyone finally meet, mystery identities are revealed and the fate of many is decided.

This one's end was better in my opinion.

Spoiler

More bizarre and with much more at stake than Diamond's "filler arc".

As usual, this season was ingenious with Standos and how they were used. Still, some powers could have been shown more, especially

Spoiler

Torisho's Supaisu Garu and Fugo's Papuru Heizu. Fugo used his powers only once and completely disappeared after Venice. Also, GioGio should frequently create angry animals and solve most of the problems in half the time, although that explains why it was not like that...

So, it was simple luck that prevented Dio, Enya, Kira and any other Stando user from simply hitting a Stando with the arrow? What about Black Sabbath, what if he hit Golden Wind in the beginning of the season?🤔

Porunareffo's unconscious mind is quite messed up based on his Stando's Requiem powers. Exchanging souls and mutating everyone into bizarre life forms.

Once again, the villain's punishment is very satisfying. And it seems to be eternal. GioGio is now extremely powerful and in command of the mafia. Good luck to anyone who opposes him.

Now onto Stone Ocean and Jolyne's adventures in Gurin Dorufin Sutorito Prison.

• Like 2

sign.jpg