Anime and Manga - < To Be Continued I \ I /

PK htiw klaw eriF

14 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I still remain unconvinced there's any Star Trek shows since the Animated Series (and I'm on the fence on it).

You didn't like DS9? I can understand TNG, even if I disagree, but come on.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I'm done with my post about the Star Trek that I would also like to pretend does not exist. Go and like it. Leave a comment, subscribe... :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This poor cat just wants to get away from this crazy family, but they keep yanking him back every time he escapes. ...I imagined this show being better in my head, but I guess it's about what you'd expect for a slower and non-fan service-y 80s shonen, which is that's...it looks nice and it's okay but it's just a little boring and I'm not really into it. How many episodes does this have anyways? 48...and like six movies. Alright, Kimagure Orange Road is officially dead. Right, Kazemakase Tskukage Ran, episode 1 of 3.

"Look, guys... Can't you tell how busy I am, just by looking at me?" *literally napping under a tree* Yep, I like her. Uh...the show, on the other hand, is awfully strange-feeling. It's like...I don't even know, the tone is all over the place. It's switching between comedic and serious what feels like every 30 seconds. And while I like the art style, the animation is...well, the insane expressions characters are making and the twitchiness of some characters is quite weird as well. This feels like decent 90s trash - kind of silly and stupid, but entertaining and not insulting...so far. I'll finish the rest of it, it's only 3 episodes after all.

3 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

david-bowie-blackstar.jpg

Z34GIOm.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

17 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

You didn't like DS9? I can understand TNG, even if I disagree, but come on.

I can't judge it, the local station that had the rights to air it from syndication aired it on random days of the weeks at random times (mostly, though, Sunday morning at somewhere in the 1-4 am range - they loved getting syndicated shows and burying them at night so other stations couldn't get them and run them opposite their local news programing - shows like Bab5, DS9, Hercules, Xena, Mutant X, Earth: Final Conflict, Jack of All Trades, Cleopatra 2525, The Lost World, Starhunter, etc) so I have seen very little of it.  I think its because another station got TNG and ran it against their Saturday evening news show and clobbered it.

I've probably seen less than 10% of DS9, and that mostly from the first couple of seasons.  ObTopic: I've probably seen less than 10% of JoJo as well. 😄

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

ObTopic: I've probably seen less than 10% of JoJo as well. 😄

B-b-but you've read the manga r-r-right?

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Just now, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

B-b-but you've read the manga r-r-right?

I read Phantom Blood.  Haven't gotten around to the others yet.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Komi Can't Communicate 8

Okie dokie, Stalker Girl is worse than Daru ever was. At this point half of the side characters just need to get retired. Komi, Tadano, and Najimi are OK though.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

20 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Never!

Hide contents

Bug-Eaten and Not Bug-Eaten's Ratts are really good stands though. I really like how stands have moved into really weird territory that you can just beat them with force.

Regarding Older Joesph, I think there are a few explanations. First is that he just got old because he didn't practice Hamon like his mom or adopted grandpa (that he also killed). This makes a bit if sense, 79 is pretty damn old after all.

The second is that dying ****ed him up. That probably was not good for long-term health, even with DIO blood.

The third is that encountering the old lady caused massive psychic damage.

dyGPNJV_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

This all makes perfect sense. And all the "Oh my God!", "Holy s***!" and "Oh no!" as well must have stressed the hell out of him too.

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

I read Phantom Blood.  Haven't gotten around to the others yet.

Even-Speedwagon-Is-Afraid.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

sign.jpg

Watched Death Parade 2 & 3...

Episode 2 was episode 1 seen from a different perspective. An (yet) unnamed woman gets let to the bar by a what I assume is a senior arbitrator. She is going to work as Decim's (the bartender) assistant (like an intern/trainee really). It shows how they experience from their perspective, what we, the viewers saw from the other side in the first episode.

Episode 3 was a young couple, who had grown estranged since childhood and now suddenly realized, too late, that maybe they were meant to be together. Not exactly a "happy" ending (they are dead after all), but a lot less antagonistic attitudes all around.

And now off to get episode 10 of Mieruko-chan which seems to have come out in the meantime :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Samurai Girl Ran, episode 2 and 3. This show is indeed trash, and yet I keep watching it. Also, I thought it was only 3 episodes long, but it's actually 9.

Spoiler

Our two female leads (one of which is the samurai, who is pretty cold and basically just wants to laze about and drink all day but keeps getting pulled into all sorts of nonsense; the other of which is a cheerful and kind-hearted but very dumb martial artist that's kinda following around the samurai like a lost, retarded puppy) have a baby randomly dumped on them by a stranger. Cue the samurai going "screw this, I'm out" while the other is all "welp time to be a mom, I guess!". It goes about how you expect...more or less. This show feels like a semi-parody, semi-genuine representation of a show in this genre, except with two equally silly but different female leads instead of your typical male lead(s). It doesn't go quite too far into the parody side, but it sure gets awfully close.

(e): Also, I thought it was 9 episodes, but it's actually 13. I should really learn to make sure before I write it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I thought about nitpicking your comment earlier, but you also pretended other shows end after one episode or so, I figured it wasn't too interesting and you're not going to do more than three. :p

edit:

At one hour and ten minutes runtime left of the film, the Book of Darkness begins to absorb the Belkan Knights to complete itself. In the show, this is what summoned the final boss fight. This is going to be at least forty five minutes of supremely stupid action, isn't it?

Looks like the movie drops Tuxedo Mask completely. Huh.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

I thought about nitpicking your comment earlier, but you alsopretended other shows end after one episode or so, I figured it wasn't too interesting and you're not going to do more than three. :p

No, I'm probably going to finish it, mostly because...well, it is pretty silly trash, but it's also short and it's sort of my kind of trash, especially being animated by Madhouse and having female leads and everything. Not that either of said leads are...well, they're not making me want to slap myself silly unlike some other shows quite yet, let's leave it at that.

• Haha 1

Diamond is Unbreakable 1-2: JoJo4 vs Angelo

For being an attempt at a more light hearted JoJo, it sure starts off with an edgy creep for a villain.

Josuke's Mom is different than Holly.

Aqua Necklace is a pretty terrifying stand when you think about it. But it gets defeated with a plastic glove. Which is probably the most JoJo thing.

Until Josuke punches Angelo so hard he turns into a rock.

• Like 1

I wonder if Nier: Replicant and Nier: Automata would qualify as watching anime?... they sure as heck feels like watching some very elaborate anime movies (complete with awesome soundtracks).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

No, I'm probably going to finish it, mostly because...well, it is pretty silly trash, but it's also short and it's sort of my kind of trash, especially being animated by Madhouse and having female leads and everything. Not that either of said leads are...well, they're not making me want to slap myself silly unlike some other shows quite yet, let's leave it at that.

Yeah, so, this is your version of StrikerS. :p

Speaking of which.

Magical Girl Lyrical NANOHA The MOVIE 2nd A's

You might notice that there's no struck out REBUILD in the title. That's mostly because this film was, shipping fuel aside, a lot better than the first one. Not to make any mistake, it's still not nearly as - ahem - good (in contrast) as the second season was, but the extra half an hour of runtime and dropping the pointless Tuxedo Mask subplot made the film much better than it could have been. It's still full of really bad CGI, and changes that aren't necessary and add nothing, but it works as a film, and I can see it working as a standalone version of the second season.

Provided one likes extended, CGI enhanced action scenes. The fun critcisms that I had of the combat in this series looking a lot like turn based JRPG battles is gone. The movie budget was clearly spent on making the battles flashier and much less static, which on one hand is actually a nice change over the series, but on the other hand makes Hayate's divine caster outfit and magic a lot more ridiculous, and I don't even want to talk about how stupid Fate's giant Cloud Strife style plasma sword is in the light of hyper fast moving action combat.

I already thought the second season had too much combat going on, and the film just upped that, but it also took out the edge and the opressive feeling of lingering on Hayate's disability and Nanoha's Weltschmerz narration about not having the peaceful days with Fate that she imagined and having to fight for peace once more. As such that leaves me somewhat conflicted, on the one hand, it eases the melancholic atmosphere a little, on the other hand, it also removes a few of the character scenes that made the second season reasonably decent in my book. The film rushes through Hayate's condition and the way it deteriorates where the series has more time to breathe, has more time to show the slowly developing respect Fate and Signum have for each other, the way the "villains" don't want to fight but feel like they have to in order to protect the only good life they ever had.

Anyway, with how the film went, I'll probably look into the next one instead of pausing for a bit. Still no reason to recommend this over the series. There's some more Fate fanservice in this and the girls get ridiculously long transformation sequences, but no anime tiddies worth their money, to be honest, even with the Tome of the Night Sky being all nude in one scene.

EPwAGNQ.png

Tiddies!

'S funny, as good as I thought the third season was, all in all, the second had the best antagonists. It ends with fate of the world boss fight, of course, but it's by far and large something that arises from a defect in Hayate's magical device, not like StrikerS' manic scientist plays 60ies Bond villain JRPG stuff. Ah, well, can't have everything, right?

• Like 1

Episode 4: Myao ("meow"?), the retarded martial artist, is on the road and starving to death, comes across a traditional Shinto shrine, appears to pray to the Christian god for sustenance and gives the offering box her last coin, then realizes her error in stupidly giving up her last coin when she could've at least bought SOMETHING to eat with it, kicks open the offering box in a rage and then steals its contents...just so that she can find a map that was stuffed into the box by a man that had being chased and subsequently killed by bandits a little bit earlier precisely for said map. Yeah, it's that kind of show: trash! :p

(e): Okay, actually, I posted too soon: this was surprisingly averted in a not trashy way - in fact, the entire episode was actually pretty good.

mpc-hc64_xe3SIPYoMN.png

30 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, so, this is your version of StrikerS.

Hm, maybe? At least unlike Nanoha, it doesn't have literally like 15 seasons and 40 movies or whatever it was that I counted out that one time - I probably wouldn't keep watching because while it's enjoyable enough as a chance of pace from other stuff, that wouldn't really be good enough to watch over the next 20 years of my life like you'll be doing with Nanoha, ;).

That's mostly because this film was, shipping fuel aside, a lot better than the first one.

See? I told you! :yes: Although from what you actually said about it, it was really just okay with a helping of sweet ambivalence. Big improvement over the previous disaster, though.

picture of toothpaste eater

Ick. At least Mari's just a gross character instead of a gross person.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Episodes 5 and 6 of Meow & Ran:

Men are completely and utterly worthless in this show. I'm O.K. with that, given that it's obviously a semi-girly play on these kinds of male-dominated swordplay/martial arts action shows, :p. I don't really have any major complaints about the show (besides that it's perhaps just as formulaic as Sailor Moon is even with some mild twists and turns, :)) and I've kinda grown to like these two dummies even as oddball as they and this show are, so I guess I'll be finishing the show for sure.

mpc-hc64_vyCK9OeigJ.png

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Men are completely and utterly worthless in this show. I'm O.K. with that, given that it's obviously a semi-girly play on these kinds of male-dominated swordplay/martial arts action shows, :p. I don't really have any major complaints about the show (besides that it's perhaps just as formulaic as Sailor Moon is even with some mild twists and turns, :)) and I've kinda grown to like these two dummies even as oddball as they and this show are, so I guess I'll be finishing the show for sure.

I was going to post that your first line here has potential to replace your quote in @KP on top of ZA WARUDO's signature, and then go went and edited it with some helpful explanation. Ah, what a missed opportunity. :p

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Episode 4: Myao ("meow"?)

Considering the spelling of the name: ミャオ, yes very much meow. Heh.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hm, maybe? At least unlike Nanoha, it doesn't have literally like 15 seasons and 40 movies or whatever it was that I counted out that one time - I probably wouldn't keep watching because while it's enjoyable enough as a chance of pace from other stuff, that wouldn't really be good enough to watch over the next 20 years of my life like you'll be doing with Nanoha, ;).

It's not that bad with Nanoha. Yet. You're thinking of Pretty Cure, I guess. 1000 episodes and 40 movies, yeah, that's a lifetime project. Still, sometimes I wonder what makes a series go that long, and if that's like a daily soap or something. The Bold and The Magical Girls, maybe? :p Kinda wish I could look into an episode here and there, but man, what... nope.

Nanoha is "just" 3 seasons, four movies and two spin off series with 12 episodes each, at least when not counting mangas and video games and other material, which I pretty much don't. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid is up next, then ViVid Strike! which drops Nanoha from the title because the old cast is apparently no longer in it, or just with some brief cameos.

Just reading up on it annoys me to no end because that character relationship chart had a helpful pink line (aka "romance" because what else would be pink, amirite?) between Vivio and a character named Einhard who is, oh what surprise, also a girl. Guess you really do catch the gay from having two moms, right? Shipping fanservice must go on, I guess. I'm willing to eat my comments if this ends up being tastefully done, but somehow I doubt that (in spite of it not really coming up as fanservice outside of that one picture I posted in StrikerS - and even that was ambivalent - it was really in full force in the movies, and those were more recent, so they take precedence). Also Vivio is like ten years old in ViVid, so that's about as stupid as that ship tease scene from the second Nanoha film.

Not to mention that apparently Vivio is a clone of Einhard's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother (give or take a couple of generations), what with her being a descendant of the royal family from the days of yore. The one that built the Doomsday device Dr. Scaglietti found. 

I'm probably overanalyzing already. :yes:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, majestic said:

I was going to post that your first line here has potential to replace your quote in @KP on top of ZA WARUDO's signature, and then go went and edited it with some helpful explanation. Ah, what a missed opportunity. :p

@Bartimaeusalready put out a banger this morning.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

You're thinking of Pretty Cure, I guess.

Oh blast, I should've known that. Nanoha is only...well, what you said - not nearly as bad. Phew, good thing you didn't start Pretty Cure, then.

37 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

@Bartimaeusalready put out a banger this morning.

The Lexx one feels a little mean-spirited with no context, even though my assumption is that you wouldn't put a quote of that nature in your signature unless you at least didn't hate the person in question, :p.

Just reading up on it annoys me to no end because that character relationship chart had a helpful pink line (aka "romance" because what else would be pink, amirite?) between Vivio and a character named Einhard who is, oh what surprise, also a girl. Guess you really do catch the gay from having two moms, right? Shipping fanservice must go on, I guess. I'm willing to eat my comments if this ends up being tastefully done, but somehow I doubt that (in spite of it not really coming up as fanservice outside of that one picture I posted in StrikerS - and even that was ambivalent - it was really in full force in the movies, and those were more recent, so they take precedence). Also Vivio is like ten years old in ViVid, so that's about as stupid as that ship tease scene from the second Nanoha film.

Not to mention that apparently Vivio is a clone of Einhard's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother (give or take a couple of generations), what with her being a descendant of the royal family from the days of yore. The one that built the Doomsday device Dr. Scaglietti found

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8b6idgr3eihnhpu/AxAquIN22g.mp4

I was going to post that your first line here has potential to replace your quote in @KP on top of ZA WARUDO's signature, and then go went and edited it with some helpful explanation. Ah, what a missed opportunity.

I do so love editing a million things into my posts after-the-fact, :yes:.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Boy do I ever. I hope that intro did not contain a part of Vivio's actual transformation sequence, because that was some really, really bad stuff. Bend over so the camera gets a nice view of your butt during the transformation level of bad, really.

Spoiler

TeIHWRc.png
Oh dear.

Spoiler

EPwAGNQ.png

Not tiddies, but I'll take a shapely butt too, do I look like a distinguished pervert?

Ten seconds into the first episode Vivio wakes up, and starts to speak. Nails on chalkboard. Nails on... chalkboard. Yikes. I can't believe that's the same voice actress that voiced Yuuno. Eh, and Mami in Madoka.

Hello, I'm Vivio, and if I continue to talk like this, I'm going to make @majestic's eardrums explode.

There's also... kind of everything woefully wrong with the art. Man, guys, really, I wouldn't call the first three seasons beautiful, but they sure look good compared to this trash. :x

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

everything

72560859.jpg

• Sad 1

Finished Mieruko-chan episode 10

Short rundown. Hana's appetite is not just cringe worthy. It turns out it might actually be supernatural in nature. Yulia (the diminutive wannabe worlds greatest spiritualist) accidentally reveals she can see auras and Hana is glowing like a 100w light bulb in the dark, constantly attracting malicious ghosts, who chew away at her aura so to speak, hence her constant need for fuel. Miko want's to ask Yulia more about what she sees, but she of course still thinks Miko an evil overlord out for world domination and remember how she tried to choke her to death, so she runs off. In the park, a childish looking ghost tricks Miko into revealing that she can see him and comes for her. The shrine guardian from a previous episode intervenes and destroys the ghost, with an ominous warning "2", which Miko suddenly realises means, she's used 2 of the 3 extra lives shrine guardian offered her. She now decides she needs help, just constantly ignoring the ghosts is not a recipe for a long life...

• Confused 1

Oh boy. The actual transformation sequence is even worse. Back in StrikerS, Vivio transformed into a Black Lady (the character) version so Nanoha can have a final boss battle at the end. Yeah, that part of StrikerS is from the final two episodes where I mentioned the season kind of fell apart writing wise.

Turns out her magical transformation in ViVid turns her into Adult!Vivio, and she seems to have gotten the same boobjob that the actual Black Lady (the character) got from DEATH PHANTOM in Crystal. To her credit, Fate reacts the same way to that nonsense. Hello writers, it doesn't make terrible ideas great if you lampshade them. That you feel the need to lampshade them should give you a hint, really. That's something that can work, but not like this.

v9D6jZn.png

It's too late to pretend I didn't start watching this, isn't it?

Hey look, half the episode is over and suicide feels like a decent way out. If that could have gone any worse I don't know how, not counting brining back the loli-moments. But hey, eleven and a half episodes left, there's still time for this to get worse. Yay?

#notmynanoha

Edited by majestic

8 hours ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Diamond is Unbreakable 1-2: JoJo4 vs Angelo

For being an attempt at a more light hearted JoJo, it sure starts off with an edgy creep for a villain.

Josuke's Mom is different than Holly.

Aqua Necklace is a pretty terrifying stand when you think about it. But it gets defeated with a plastic glove. Which is probably the most JoJo thing.

Until Josuke punches Angelo so hard he turns into a rock.

This scene was enough to make me love her even more than Lisa Lisa. And why did

Spoiler

Joseph get involved with her?

Well, because she, too, has the same signature mannerisms:

Just check at 0:47... "I love you, I love you..." just beat "Ora, ora..."

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg