Anime - Oh No! Oh My God!

Amentep

It's episode 14 (out of 24) of X and the teams are complete. I had a good laugh at everyone being really surprised when Emo McEdgelord said thank you to Hinoto. If nothing else, that was a necessary break from the atmosphere of this show. Actually episode 14 was legimitately good, assuming the watcher doesn't dislike the Biowarian Fate of the World (tm) plot that features a weird combination of technology and the occult and makes Tokyo the city that's holding the world together. Not that it makes much sense how modern skyscraper buildings are shields against the apocalypse. They probably replaced the older shields. *shrug*

Point in case, they've just sealed the Sacred Sword (tm) in a techno-magical sealing device that shoots laser beams in the form of a pentagram into the sky, an action that with a nice dose of destinied irony causes the remaining angels* to gather too. Because they noticed the giant laser beams shooting into the sky. :yes: 

Arashi was exasperated by Yuzuriha's Jean's exuberance when seeing the sealing thingie, she said it looks like a mech-launchpad. Yeah, you know, it's easy to see how this is an early CLAMP work. The elmenets are there, it seems all somewhat well plotted out (if a bit overdramatic) and for whatever that's worth, the anime is pretty good in evoking the sort of opressive, gloomy atmosphere they were going for. It's positively saturnine (haha, what a joke, get it? Positively saturnine! :p).

Karen (the prostitute) also showed up to introduce herself to the others, and says that she already knows Seiichirō, the editor, from work. Someone's going "wait a minute, does that mean..." until he's shut up and Seiichirō is like: "Uhm, no, I was doing research for a client, for a book..."

Sure Seiichirō. Sure!

Spoiler

From the movie I know Karen will die protecting Seiichirō from harm. That meant nothing in the film, but it will probably mean much more in the series. Seiichirō looks like the oldest of the group, and he definitetly has a family. The others are either too young or from some form of religious background. Well, or a prostitute.

The soundtrack isn't really that good. It's not in the way or annoying, but it feels like I've heard the music before, and it is pretty generic when it tries to be gloomy or inspiring. Functional, I'd say. That's not even damning with faint praise. 

Like with Utena, it reminds me a bit of the Lexx soundtrack at times. Could be some variation of stock music.

Overall, I'm still mildly positive towards this, as a whole. It would be more positive-erly (lol :yes:) without the plot point in episode 12 that really felt forced, but what's done is done. 

*Not sure if that is the actual English translation, it is for the fansubs at least. The Dragons of the Heavens are called seals, the Dragons of the Earth angels. I guess that's because the name's shorter and less of a mouthful, but I don't know. The official German translation for the angels is messenger. Which kind of makes sense, with angels originally being God's messengers.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Finished season 2 of B: The Beginning.

So it's been at least two years since I watched season 1 and I'm a little fuzzy on that, but this doesn't hold up to my memory. It feels like a quarter of a season (it has half the episode of the first season, and is paced where each episode feels like half an episode), has really janky animation, and isn't particularly interesting. Right now I'd tentatively recommend the first season and just drop it after that.

Well, I guess it's MAN HUMAN time.

So basically, you don't recommend the show at all to majestic, :shifty:.

12 hours ago, majestic said:

Maybe some creative license, because it's originally brat for Meiling and "kid" for Shaoran, I think. It's been a while, but toad seems oddly negative for Yukito.

Now that I think about it more, I think you're right...or you are/were right? Because I think now, later into the series, it's usually "kid" for Xiaolang and "missy" for Meiling. But it was definitely "brat" for Meiling for a while, while I'm struggling to remember if "brat" was ever actually used for Xiaolang...if it was, it was probably early and before Meiling arrived.

@X: I kinda get the feeling that this show wouldn't really work for me from everything you've described it. Too many characters, complete flat-line of a male main character, totally boring end of the world plot that there's too much of a focus on, mediocre or worse music, only tenuously shoujo to begin with... Eh, :shrugz:.

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

23 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

So basically, you don't recommend the show at all to majestic, :shifty:

Well, 6 episodes is nothing compared to Rebuild or SMC so it's not like he hasn't been through worse.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

31 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Now that I think about it more, I think you're right...or you are/were right? Because I think now, later into the series, it's usually "kid" for Xiaolang and "missy" for Meiling. But it was definitely "brat" for Meiling for a while, while I'm struggling to remember if "brat" was ever actually used for Xiaolang...if it was, it was probably early and before Meiling arrived.

I can't tell for sure, I watched most of the episodes with the German subtitles, and they're fairly consistent with Kero calling Meiling Göre and Shaoran Bengel mostly, which is German for brat, in their girl and boy variants respectively. He never uses their names, at least.

Göre has a colloquial use when shortened to Gör. That changes the gender of the word to neuter, but it needs to be said that grammatical gender doesn't make any reference to personal gender - in this case it works that way because Gör can be used for both annoying girls and boys. It is, at the end, simply a colloquialism. Here we'd call either a Gfrast, coming from an older German word for chafe that at some point took the meaning of describing something as tedious activity (the result of which is chafing, so that does make sense), i.e. simply a tedious person - not necessarily, but usually, a child.

It takes 40 or so episodes for Sharoan to call anyone except Meiling by name, and then it's only "Daidouji" when he's talking to Tomoyo.

Spoiler:

Spoiler

He'll eventually start referring to Sakura with her name, instead of "you", which will be a pretty big deal, it's in episode 57.

51 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

@X: I kinda get the feeling that this show wouldn't really work for me from everything you've described it. Too many characters, complete flat-line of a male main character, totally boring end of the world plot that there's too much of a focus on, mediocre or worse music, only tenuously shoujo to begin with... Eh, :shrugz:.

I get the feeling that you might be right. It's definitely not what I thought it would be, and what for a couple of episodes after the third one it looked like it might become. Kamui really does have an Emo McEdgelord appeal. He's also the poster boy for the shojo appeal in this, I think, because he's so gloomy and pretty.

I don't wan to call Kamui the Edward of X, because there's a world of a difference, but this isn't meant to appeal to girls through giving them (teenage) counterparts to strive for or identify with, like Sailor Moon. No, well, maybe Kamui really is a proto-Edward. I've never seen or read any Twilight, but there must be some appeal in the dark, brooding character with a terrible destiny. That doesn't sound like Twilight?

Well, you get the idea. I think.

• Like 1

Rewatch of Devilman Crybaby episode 1.

It holds up, but is blatantly sexual in a way that the cheesecake from Rebuild or standard big tiddy anime girls aren't. It works for the type of show Devilman is, but it's worth noting before any of yall stumble into it blind and start imitating Joesph Joestar. Majorly NSFW.

The art looks really rough at times, particularly with limbs. But it's hand drawn and I think looks more authentic than some of the uncanny valley cgi out there. That's a horse that we've beaten into undeath around here, so I'll just say Crybaby looks best when it goes into absolute insanity territory. Excellent use of colors combined with a truly kinetic animation delivers some of the most horrific monsters possible and does it with style.

As to the plot, I'll try not to spoil it. But this episode is the setup and basically what happens is a crybaby teenager on the track team meets up with his old friend, who is now a professor. They shoot at some rappers before going to a sex party where they take in some substances and then it goes into OH MY GOD! territory.

Currently hard recommend. This **** slaps.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

19 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Joesph Joestar. Majorly NSFW.

Oh no! Oh my gooooooood!

What did I watch?! No wait I already watched that. Heh.

Uhm episode 17 of X is a clip show. 

Asise from that the past few episodes were really good. 

The cast of course doesn’t get equal screen time but how could it with that many characters. The episodes tend to focus on a few of them each.

Kamui has overcome his misgivings and is looking for revenge! 

No just kidding, it might be almost like shonen but not quite. Kamui wants to redeem the bad guys. 

It might not be what I wanted and it certainly tries too hard with the dark and edgy at times but I am back to genuinely enjoying this at the moment. 

But... I also like Bioware games every now and then. ;)

And it is also a nice change of pace from the metaphor and symbolism overload I got from Utena, Tutu and Evangelion recently.

Just some good old regular end of the world stuff. 

• Gasp! 1

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

What did I watch?! No wait I already watched that. Heh.

Jotaro at the poker table.

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

I also like Bioware games every now and then. ;)

You should go.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

That was dope. Makes me want a Sailor Moon set in a more ancient Japan, :p. ...The lady in the preview image for some reason looks like she has a giant head to me, though - can't tell if I'm crazy, if it's just weird perspective, or...maybe she actually just has a giant head.

firefox_jE4bvY1pdj.png

Even zoomed out here, her head looks giant!

@KP the meanie zucchini Does Devilman Crybaby have any relation to the Devilman TV show from the 70s or the two Devilman OVAs from the 80s?

17 minutes ago, majestic said:

And it is also a nice change of pace from the metaphor and symbolism overload I got from Utena, Tutu and Evangelion recently.

Greatly welcome indeed.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Does Devilman Crybaby have any relation to the Devilman TV show from the 70s or the two Devilman OVAs from the 80s?

Yes, in fact the 70s TV show is featured in Crybaby and Taro is a Devilman Otaku.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

That was dope. Makes me want a Sailor Moon set in a more ancient Japan, :p. ...The lady in the preview image for some reason looks like she has a giant head to me, though - can't tell if I'm crazy, if it's just weird perspective, or...maybe she actually just has a giant head.

No, that really is one giant head, or a normal sized head on a proportionally too small a body.

Sailor Moon in ancient Japan. At the rate this is going, I'd be willing to settle for a Sailor Moon like show set anywhere. The moon, an alien space ship, in a lost world setting with dinsaurs. Anything. Alas, if there is something like it, I don't know where.

I guess there's Pretty Cure left to try, but... but... but that's over 800 episodes  in like 17 season/series and 14 movies, and looks way too action focused. Once I'm done with Princess Tutu I'm going to give Magic User's Club a try, which was directed by Junichi Sato (Sailor Moon's series director for the first season and the R filler arc) and features character designs by Ikoku Itoh. Mostly because it's short. Really short. 6 piece OVA followed by a 13 episode TV anime.

Afterwards... I'm going to go by some other suggestions, I guess. Crusher Joe looked like something that would be totally for me, so that's definitely on the list. Not sure I want to watch Eriko that close after X.

Greatly welcome indeed.

A reprieve indeed, alas, not really something that will hold your interest. There are nice moments in there though:

Spoiler

The last episode I just watched was focused on Jean. She struck up a friendship with an older man who clearly is a Dragon of the Earth, but she doesn't know that. She should notice it, because he can see her spirit dog, and only gifted people can, and he's not part of her circle after all, but she's 14 and happy that someone can see Inuki. They go buy sweets and spend some time together, and Jean has a crush on him that she confessed.

It was really sweet, and he was really nice about it. I mean, it's ridiculous and luckily this isn't Utena, so nothing comes of it. Satsuki shows up with her power cables and presents a moral/ethical question to Jean, and then almost kills her. Almost, because friendship pays off, and the older guy (Mr. Kusanagi) comes and saves her, but Inuki dies. That probably also was the set up for why the Dragons of the Earth Kamui will eventually dispose of Kusanagi - at least he did that in the movie, where it made no sense at all. Satsuki kills Jean in the film. I wonder if the series will do that, so far it's been a bit milder. One of the Dragons of the Earth is already dead while his Dragon of the Heavens counterpart survived, but lost his ability to put up shields in the process (which means he is, as far as his story function goes, also dead).

If all of X was like that it would be great. Looks like the next episode is going to be about Karen. Episode 19 now... and we're still doing character backgrounds. This is really shaping up to have a super rushed conclusion, I'm afeared.

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

You should go.

egLEOMD.jpg

:p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

egLEOMD.jpg

:p

I'm KP and this is not my favorite meme in the Anime thread.

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Sailor Moon in ancient Japan. At the rate this is going, I'd be willing to settle for a Sailor Moon like show set anywhere. The moon, an alien space ship, in a lost world setting with dinsaurs. Anything. Alas, if there is something like it, I don't know where.

There are the few times Usagi uses her transformation pen... How about a Sailor Moon show where they're not actually Sailor Guardians but just undercover secret agents working against supervillains? Usagi would make the perfect secret agent...very discrete, very intimidating, very coordinated, :yes:.

Pretty Cure

Nope, that ain't happening, :p.

Magic User's Club

Yeah, from the screenshots I quickly glanced at, I think it's going to earn that "ecchi" tag pretty easily...

afeared

It could also just do the Miyu thing and leave a major plot and character point forever unresolved. Would that be better? :p

8 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I'm KP and this is not my favorite meme in the Anime thread.

I'm a bit confused to be honest, are you offended or did you make a joke, or is this a reference to something I don't get, I mean, Commander Shepard on the Citadel aside since we were talking about Mass Effect 2. :p

37 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

There are the few times Usagi uses her transformation pen... How about a Sailor Moon show where they're not actually Sailor Guardians but just undercover secret agents working against supervillains? Usagi would make the perfect secret agent...very discrete, very intimidating, very coordinated, :yes:.

I'd take anything as long as it features Usagi and friends written by the same people that came up with their anime characterization. Although that is not a guarantee for a good anime, there's Clear Card as testament to that. Plus it really should not look like Crystal. Ideally...

Nope, that ain't happening, :p.

I'm not going to try that just to see if its even a fraction as interesting or fun as Sailor Moon. Nope. Fun fact time though, Toei initially envisioned Sailor Moon to be something like what Pretty Cure became, an endlessly running series with a similar setup but changing casts and storylines per season. An animated Power Rangers with magical girls.

Boy am I glad that didn't work out like that.

Yeah, from the screenshots I quickly glanced at, I think it's going to earn that "ecchi" tag pretty easily...

I'm giving that the benefit of the doubt based on the people involved. It's probably going to turn out to be stupid, terrible or stupidly terrible, or maybe about tons of incest because nobody who worked on Sailor Moon walked away with their sanity intact, apparently. 

It still looks like the most interesting thing Sato has done since Sailor Moon. Eh... I have no excuse besides desperation, and a rotted brain from watching Rebuild.

It could also just do the Miyu thing and leave a major plot and character point forever unresolved. Would that be better? :p

That's what the manga did. Both the movie and the anime had to come up with original endings. CLAMP just stopped with the apocalypse after several early 2000s events. Earthquakes, tsunamis, 9/11. So, yeah, entirely possibly that some things will be left open.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

The Magic User's Club 6 piece OVA begins with a giant CGI bell-shaped spaceship descending into Earth's atmospere being intercepted by a US naval battlegroup with air support. It does not go well for them. It even has fully English dialogue (in the Japanese original audio track).

Well... okay. That's... yeah. Not exactly how I expected a magical girl anime to open.

Image quality is typical for mid 90ies NTSC transfers. Ah Japan, why did you have to use NTSC. Really. Out of all the systems you could have picked, it was the worst. The worst. Stupid CGI space ship aside, that opening sequence was fairly well animated.

Let's see how that continues, and how bad the fanservice really gets. :yes:

edit:

The opening credits have a giant girl with equally giant, jiggly animated (albeit fully clothed) boobs firing lasers from her eyes. Yeah, that will get really bad, I think.

edit 2:

First piece of music right after the opening credits is generic JRPG jingle #5. I can swear I've heard that before. Numerous times.

edit 3:

DIO is voicing the most androgynous boy with the most impressive purple mauve mullet ever.

8f7ccb738d7c91bf7f20bdba8691bb1d3eedc724

Ever woder how I got the job as DIO? Me too!

Okay, good thing this is really short. We're 10 minutes in, had the giant boob laser girl from the opening credits, one of the girl's flipping over on her bike landing on a boy's crotch, DIO fondling that boy telling him he's cute and the other boy staring at some breasts. And the other girl from the Magic User's Club is off doing something else while not really wearing all too much.

Well then Mr. Sato, you're out too, even if the premise of the show is kind of hilarious so far and everyone is rather likable. And Ms. Itoh, you're... you're a good animator and character designer, but really, that's, erm, seriously...

You know its bad when the opening of your anime OVA has more moments like this than the first three episodes of Love Live!, and that was made for an adult male audience.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

46 minutes ago, majestic said:

You know its bad when the opening of your anime OVA has more moments like this than the first three episodes of Love Live!, and that was made for an adult male audience.

Okay, so this OVA is recommended for anyone who is interested in what exactly Kill la Kill is making fun of. Oh boy. On the flipside, I'm not going to complain about Nozomi rubbing breasts in Love Live! any more, or about Asuka's "trying to sleep" scene in Thrice Upon A Time because that's harmless.

Okay, so what's next?

• Gasp! 1

3 hours ago, majestic said:

I'm a bit confused to be honest, are you offended or did you make a joke

Joke, I rarely get offended and never over video games.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

DIO is voicing the most androgynous boy with the most impressive purple mauve mullet ever.

8f7ccb738d7c91bf7f20bdba8691bb1d3eedc724

Ever woder how I got the job as DIO? Me too!

Okay, good thing this is really short. We're 10 minutes in, had the giant boob laser girl from the opening credits, one of the girl's flipping over on her bike landing on a boy's crotch, DIO fondling that boy telling him he's cute and the other boy staring at some breasts.

55 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Well that was something.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, majestic said:

I do believe I warned you, :p. My heuristic process for selecting what I will or will not give a chance never fails me! Except for the rare occasion that it does...but that's rare!

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Stand by Me vibes in a large way, but with a very angry and dysfunctional anime club instead of...uh, whatever Stand by Me had that this didn't to make this comparison work, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I do believe I warned you, :p. My heuristic process for selecting what I will or will not give a chance never fails me! Except for the rare occasion that it does...but that's rare!

I know, I know. I guess... it's time to try Pretty Cure then! ;)

Spoiler

No, really, that I won't. I'm not that nutty.

• Hmmm 1

Rewatch of Devilman Crybaby epidodes 2-5: The Saga of Silene

Much like the first episode, this **** is horny. I think this works better than stuff like big tiddy laser lady in Magic User's Club (yes I watched the intro, it does look really dumb) because it is more explicit and doesn't feel like it was just tacked on.

Other than that, I'm struggling to say anything that wouldn't be spoiling. I really like the designs of demons and think the characters manage to get fleshed out well without resorting to monologues.

Devilman Crybaby, episode 1:

Has a sweet EBM* intro song, at least. Less sure about what I saw in the intro, but at least the song is dope. *...Is EBM still even a thing, or has it been shuffled into some other kind of genre by now?

Defaulted to playing the Japanese audio with no subtitles. Bold choice, Netflix. Look at that, I can tell that the English voice direction inexplicably sucks and sounds completely unnatural just like about every other post-2000s anime within about 10 seconds of listening to this. It's a danged good thing Viz didn't screw up their English dub for Sailor Moon or I never woulda watched Sailor Moon and this thread would've never been resurrected.

Never trust a man with two first names, even if one of them is a girl's. Asuka and Akira...

"The chirping birds were getting on my nerves." ...And then suddenly he turns into the sewer dragon from Dark Souls.

...Yeah, this might be difficult for you all to believe, but this just doesn't really seem like my type of show for some reason. I don't know if it's the two teenage male main characters, the explicit sexuality, the graphic violence, the art style, the setting, the modernity of everything, the premise feeling like completely ungrounded nonsense (especially in regards to what possible kind of reasons Asuka could ever have for causing this situation to happen), the fact that not even a single element of this should should really appeal to me on any level...but I kinda just felt like it was all slightly out of my comfort zone. I don't know, maybe another episode will prove me wrong!

Devilman Crybaby, episode 2:

Intro song's still good, at least.

If these wannabe gangsters don't eat it, I'm gonna be so mad. ...Aw man, that was so unsatisfying in how they handled that, ;(. Just a cut-away and then they're instantly done.

Yeah, I don't know, not really working for me. At least it's not making me irrationally angry like Violet Evergarden (or Rebuild of Evangelion) did, just kind of...doing way too much I don't particularly like or can be appealed to with, really.

16 hours ago, majestic said:

Not sure I want to watch Eriko that close after X.

mpc-hc64_oFnrQtEKdh.png

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I don't know, not really working for me. At least it's not making me irrationally angry like Violet Evergarden (or Rebuild of Evangelion) did, just kind of...doing way too much I don't particularly like or can be appealed to with, really.

Not inspiring irrational anger is a good sign!

• Haha 2

...Yeah, this might be difficult for you all to believe, but this just doesn't really seem like my type of show for some reason.

Shocking, really. :p

(especially in regards to what possible kind of reasons Asuka could ever have for causing this situation to happen)

Massive spoilers:

Spoiler

Ryo is the devil. The literal, Christian Satan. He causes a yuuuuuuge war that decimates humanity and then God comes along and is like a sore loser and sends his angels to purge the Earth and start over. Fin.

Spoiler

No, really.

Spoiler

I'm serious.

Spoiler

Really.

Spoiler

There's no meme here, that really is what happens.

18 hours ago, majestic said:

Not sure I want to watch Eriko that close after X.

mpc-hc64_oFnrQtEKdh.png

I'm sorry Eriko but you seem to be a little too dark to watch right after such an edgelord anime.

Speaking of X:

X might be the most frustrating anime I've ever watched. The episodes switch between being brilliant and over the top edgelording in the blink of an eye. Spoilers from here, but I'm getting the feeling that no one else is going to watch, so feel free to read.

Spoiler

Karen gets a background story episode and we see how Seiichiro visits her for his client's research, which was really just research. She's a nice woman with a decent sense of humor and playfully asks if talking was all he had in mind, because she sure is not letting him go like that. He's startled, she laughs, they then talk about Seiichiro's family. She then tells him if he ever visits as a customer, he can get the extra special service.

Then there's the flashback to her childhood to the moment she discoveres she can control fire as a little child. She's playing in a church, sending flames around in an absolutely brilliant scene with perfect atmosphere, lighting candles on the altar from afar, being all giddy and happy about being able to do that without using matches. Then her mother comes in, Karen is all: "Mom, look what I can do!" and she goes full Margaret White on her, hilariously screaming DEVIL! DEVIL! DEVIL! at her. Cue montage of Margaret abusing and beating Carrie.

Way to ruin the mood. Figures that Karen had abusive parents, that's part for the course for these type of characters, but could you do that without going full Carrie on me? I liked Carrie, don't get me wrong, but this anime is edgy enough without overdoing it.

Same with one of the episodes that focused on Sorata and Arashi's blossoming relationship. Sorata, Ashari and Jean Yuzuriha are cooking and talking to each other. Sorata helps Arashi cut the onions because she might be master swordsman but is hapless when it comes to cooking. Sorata even manages to convince Emo McEdgelordface to come out of his room to eat with them. At this point I've noticed that he hasn't been in an episode in a while because the show focused on the more interesting side characters.

The scene is flowing along, they're having fun, talking, there are some romantic moments between Sorata and Ashari (that all sort of have this tragic background of being the direct cause of Sorata's death, at least according to the prophecy of the old soothsayer), the Ashari has a flashback to her living on the street as a kid, finding some leftover food in the trash and wondering if she should eat that or not.

Sure. Why don't you go ruin the mood? I really have no problems with tragic character backgrounds, but there's a time and a place for everything, and that's not it. It's as if they had some edge-quota to meet in production. Like Sailor Moon sticking to its formula. Wait you want an episode without transformations? Certainly not! Have one fight scene. Because two young people falling in love knowing it's going to kill one of them isn't edgy enough without the other one having that flashback, right?

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

@majestic

Don't look Bartimaeus, MASSIVE spoilers ahead

Don't forget, God also traps Satan in a time loop, because he is that much of an ****.

Smug Mari, Kyubey, and DIO have nothing on God.

• Haha 1