Yes, it's a known bug. Sometimes items can lose all their properties. It never happend to me in over 4K hours - but I read enough reports about it. :)

If you use the console you won't gain any more Berath Blessing points. Here's how it works (the item will be placed in your stash) :

<open console>
iroll20 <enter>
<open console>
giveitem Head_U_Helm_Heavens_Cacophony <enter>

If you do not want to mark your savegame as cheated you can load up another uncheated savegame (preferably one where you already have the helmet - or go buy it quickly) and export a "naked" char with only the helmet on. Then, in your actual savegame, go to an inn and import that exported character with items (may be a bit expensive). That's how you can get the helmet again without "official" cheating. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

30 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Yes, it's a known bug. Sometimes items can lose all their properties. It never happend to me in over 4K hours - but I read enough reports about it. :)

If you use the console you won't gain any more Berath Blessing points. Here's how it works (the item will be placed in your stash) :

<open console>
iroll20 <enter>
<open console>
giveitem Head_U_Helm_Heavens_Cacophony <enter>

If you do not want to mark your savegame as cheated you can load up another uncheated savegame (preferably one where you already have the helmet - or go buy it quickly) and export a "naked" char with only the helmet on. Then, in your actual savegame, go to an inn and import that exported character with items (may be a bit expensive). That's how you can get the helmet again without "official" cheating. 

It’s happened twice with the same helm and in the same place. A certain wizards tower not named Arkamyr.   The place where you look for constellations.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

I doubt it; I think it's a pretty deep engine bug. It's happened to me a few times, very rare, and unfortunately something that emerged in later patches and was never fully fixed. In one run I had to reload, in another I only discovered it too late and had to completely abandon the item. god I can't imagine if it had happened in anyone's ultimate run.

When it was more prevalent it had something to do with death-by-critical hits. I don't know if it's still related to that.

4 hours ago, thelee said:

I doubt it; I think it's a pretty deep engine bug. It's happened to me a few times, very rare, and unfortunately something that emerged in later patches and was never fully fixed. In one run I had to reload, in another I only discovered it too late and had to completely abandon the item. god I can't imagine if it had happened in anyone's ultimate run.

When it was more prevalent it had something to do with death-by-critical hits. I don't know if it's still related to that.

I was not killed when it happened that’s for sure. It’s happened to me both times in the same place which I can’t say because of no spoilers but it’s in a tower with a lich and a telescope.  

current Ironman/POTD run just downed the main bad guy in BoW so I’ll make a new game real quick, hire a merc buy the helm and import. No choice if I want use the helm.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

53 minutes ago, Torm51 said:

I was not killed when it happened that’s for sure. It’s happened to me both times in the same place which I can’t say because of no spoilers but it’s in a tower with a lich and a telescope.  

sorry, to clarify, the problem when it was super common was that you crit-gibbed an enemy. something about the gibbing (which already interacts oddly with some effects like cipher transfer spells) would clear item properties. i think they fixed like 99% of cases, but i don't know if the remaining 1% still has to do with crit-gibbing an enemy.

• Like 2

Aha! That might be the reason why I never saw this happen with so many hours of playtime:

I always turn off the (imo silly) gib option. It's mechanically disadvanteous anyway (see Druid's Garden of Life, Chanter's White Worms, Death's Maw helmet, Corpse Eater's Flesh Communion, Xoti's Sickle). 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

5 hours ago, thelee said:

sorry, to clarify, the problem when it was super common was that you crit-gibbed an enemy. something about the gibbing (which already interacts oddly with some effects like cipher transfer spells) would clear item properties. i think they fixed like 99% of cases, but i don't know if the remaining 1% still has to do with crit-gibbing an enemy.

Makes total sense. In fact I have a picture of the fight when it happened and sure enough there are lots of gibs. Turning it off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have gun will travel.