Need help making a helwalker multiclass melee build,also curious if it is possible to solo on potd with a martial cipher multiclass

Hi, I've decided to come back and do another run of deadfire and decided do a helwaker melee multicass build, could use some advice on the best class to combine with it to keep it alive from helwakers downside, also I'm interested in maybe also finally trying to solo the game on path of the damned difficulty but i am trying to solo it with a cipher martial multiclass combination and would really appreciate advice on how to go about it, as I don't  see many solo potd builds for cipher anywhere, and mostly see people recommending bloodmage or tactian combination for most solo builds. Thanks in advance  😀

Dunno about soloing, but I had an awesome funny build this year. It was a Shapeshifter-Helwalker. I did not used druid spells, only on megabosses when all my forms run out and had no choice, it was a melee boar/bear/wolf/cat fighter.

Not for POTD solo tho.

I'm not sure about soloing a helwalker transcendent; that sounds like it would be really challenging. But a cipher melee multiclass is definitely viable solo. Assassin/soul blade is relatively easy and a great deal of fun.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dgray62 said:

I'm not sure about soloing a helwalker transcendent; that sounds like it would be really challenging. But a cipher melee multiclass is definitely viable solo. Assassin/soul blade is relatively easy and a great deal of fun.

Hmm interesting is it possible to combine streetfighter or trickster with cipher to solo potd? 

18 hours ago, Jae Addison said:

Hmm interesting is it possible to combine streetfighter or trickster with cipher to solo potd? 

I've never tried it solo, but a soul blade combined with either trickster or streetfighter is a lot of fun. The former is better defensively, while the latter has crazy DPS but requires more micro and is somewhat squishier. For solo, I'd probably go for soul blade/trickster. But soulblade/forbidden fist with high resolve is probably even better for solo, due to much higher sustained defenses and the ability to easily shrug off afflictions, which, rather than harming you, heal you and give you resources (a wound) every time they expire. This build I have played solo, and it's a lot of fun. If you really want to play a solo mindstalker, I'd recommend assassin rather than trickster or streetfighter.

10 hours ago, dgray62 said:

I've never tried it solo, but a soul blade combined with either trickster or streetfighter is a lot of fun. The former is better defensively, while the latter has crazy DPS but requires more micro and is somewhat squishier. For solo, I'd probably go for soul blade/trickster. But soulblade/forbidden fist with high resolve is probably even better for solo, due to much higher sustained defenses and the ability to easily shrug off afflictions, which, rather than harming you, heal you and give you resources (a wound) every time they expire. This build I have played solo, and it's a lot of fun. If you really want to play a solo mindstalker, I'd recommend assassin rather than trickster or streetfighter.

So how would I build forbidden fist/soul blade, I'm guessing I would max out resolve during character creation and then what about the other stats, where would i place them at?

First of all, I'd only recommend that you play FF/SB if you use community patch. If you don't, you'd be better off with a beguiler for better focus generation, since the FF attack isn't considered a weapon attack, and thus doesn't generate focus, in the vanilla game. My preferred stat spread for this build is 15 STR 10 CON 15 DEX 18 PER 15 INT 18 RES with berath's blessings.

• Like 1

Would 15 MIG 14Con 13 Dex 17 per 13 Int 18 resolve work? Sry I tweaked them some, having a little more con made me feel a little more safer then 10. 😅

4 hours ago, dgray62 said:

First of all, I'd only recommend that you play FF/SB if you use community patch. If you don't, you'd be better off with a beguiler for better focus generation, since the FF attack isn't considered a weapon attack, and thus doesn't generate focus, in the vanilla game. My preferred stat spread for this build is 15 STR 10 CON 15 DEX 18 PER 15 INT 18 RES with berath's blessings.

53 minutes ago, Jae Addison said:

Would 15 MIG 14Con 13 Dex 17 per 13 Int 18 resolve work? Sry I tweaked them some, having a little more con made me feel a little more safer then 10. 😅

That would be fine I'm sure. With a FF, in my experience, you want your starting resolve to be at least 18 so that you can ultimately get up to 30+ with gear etc. For solo, adding more CON is a great idea. INT of 13 would be fine, since with turning wheel you'll get up to +10 in that area. You'll need PER of 20 to find all hidden things I think, but you can easily get there since you're starting at 17.

• Like 1

Ah good to know, would this character be able to take out the Megabosses too on solo ?, also I plan to use greatswords for this build, any other weapons or items you think I should use for it?

2 hours ago, dgray62 said:

That would be fine I'm sure. With a FF, in my experience, you want your starting resolve to be at least 18 so that you can ultimately get up to 30+ with gear etc. For solo, adding more CON is a great idea. INT of 13 would be fine, since with turning wheel you'll get up to +10 in that area. You'll need PER of 20 to find all hidden things I think, but you can easily get there since you're starting at 17.