Anime: Emotions on a Rollercoaster

Amentep

Sailor Stars episodes 4 and 5

So it looks like they're pairing off inner and outer guardians. While Usagi crawls through snow and talks to flowers. And Chibi-Usa fades away.

Best moment was Michiru telling Rei that her relationship with Haruka was the same as Rei and Usagi. Lmao, I guess Mamo-chan is getting dumped for Mars in the future. The fights were standard for Sailor Moon, but there were moments of comedy like Minako falling on her ass when running away.

Of ****ing course the only thing that can snap Usagi out of a dream is Mamo-chan. Not like Makoto getting blasted by Nehelia's dark energy is as important.

And here we end with Chibi-Moon and Sailor Saturn. Will we get to see DEATH REBORN REVOLUTION or will they redeem mirror universe Queen Serenity? I guess I'll find out whenever I watch episode 6. I think I'm sick right now, hope it isn't the rona lmao. Maybe I'll get a day off to sleep and watch Sailor Moon.

Oh, and unrelated to Sailor Moon, JoJo is getting part 6 animated soon so we'll get to see their bunhead.

JoJos-Bizzare-Adventure-Stone-Ocean-KV-2

Phone posting spoilers sucks ass

Edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP
  • Haha 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

15 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

Sailor Stars episodes 4 and 5

Hide contents

Best moment was Michiru telling Rei that her relationship with Haruka was the same as Rei and Usagi. Lmao, I guess Mamo-chan is getting dumped for Mars in the future.

The question here:

Spoiler

Is something happening between Rei and Usagi that they haven't noticed but Michiru did, or is Michiru simply making assumptions? Either way is funny.

• Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

17 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

The question here:

Hide contents

Is something happening between Rei and Usagi that they haven't noticed but Michiru did, or is Michiru simply making assumptions? Either way is funny.

Maybe both. There's the old trope about people who are intimate fighting a lot which could fit. On the other hand, Rei has been less mean and more protective of Usagi, like how she ran after her when Usagi went eternal and flew off into Nehelia's dream kingdom. Either way it's funny, I guess if Mamoru gets to be seduced by villains constantly Usagi gets a side girlfriend.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

If you want an answer to that question, go look up Sexy Losers 014.

Warning, not safe for work. Or your mind. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

If you want an answer to that question, go look up Sexy Losers 014.

Warning, not save for work. Or your mind. :p

..............why is Luna there?

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

..............why is Luna there?

You'd need to watch the Sailor Moon S movie for that.

Spoiler

Sorry too late and too tired for a DIO meme. Imagine one here.

Spoiler

22386-86655242.jpg

And yes, that's human form Luna. It's... a thing.

Surprised this is on YouTube. It's the only transformation sequence in Sailor Moon where the breasts are, uhm, anatomically correct.

Also, you think they used Luna as basis for Nehelenia? Heh.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

46 minutes ago, majestic said:

You'd need to watch the Sailor Moon S movie for that.

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry too late and too tired for a DIO meme. Imagine one here.

Reveal hidden contents

22386-86655242.jpg

And yes, that's human form Luna. It's... a thing.

Surprised this is on YouTube. It's the only transformation sequence in Sailor Moon where the breasts are, uhm, anatomically correct.

Also, you think they used Luna as basis for Nehelenia? Heh.

But she's there as a cat. Is she waiting to get blasted by moonlight or something. Looking into this it makes less sense than before. Is Luna cheating on Artemis? Will the weird Sailors (starlights and villains) show up? Is this why Chibi-Usa is so ****ed up? I think I'm just going to back out.

I am never too tired for a DIO meme.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Gasp! 1

You're reading way too much into a parody comic made by someone who has neither seen the anime nor really read the manga beyond looking at the artstyle to copy the characters properly. I mean his own comment on the strip says that he had no idea what he was doing, just got confirmation that the strip would work. Because if he had, Chibi-Usa would totally be in that third panel. No way she'd miss that (and there's no way Clay wouldn't have put her in there if he knew).

Dear god what have I done. 🤯

Also, @Bartimaeus minor SU question/update:

Spoiler

I'm guessing Ruby and Saphire's wedding was the reason the show almost got axed by Cartoon Network?

Seems like an odd thing to almost cancel the show over after allowing her to be a (interracial) relationship standin for four and a half seasons with no problems. If that really was what the issue was.

More later, for now, sleep...

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

You've given me something to forget about.

Oh yeah, and I watched episodes 6 and 7. I'll do a write up later but right now my thoughts are that Super S looks even worse and that the Starlights dress like Lil Nas X.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, majestic said:

You're reading way too much into a parody comic made by someone who has neither seen the anime nor really read the manga beyond looking at the artstyle to copy the characters properly. I mean his own comment on the strip says that he had no idea what he was doing, just got confirmation that the strip would work. Because if he had, Chibi-Usa would totally be in that third panel. No way she'd miss that (and there's no way Clay wouldn't have put her in there if he knew).

Dear god what have I done. 🤯

Also, @Bartimaeus minor SU question/update:

Hide contents

I'm guessing Ruby and Saphire's wedding was the reason the show almost got axed by Cartoon Network?

Seems like an odd thing to almost cancel the show over after allowing her to be a (interracial) relationship standin for four and a half seasons with no problems. If that really was what the issue was.

More later, for now, sleep...

Yep, that is it (silly, I know!), but more pertinently...did you actually watch close to two entire seasons in just two days? You're putting me to absolute shame here, :skull:.

(e): I should be able to watch a few Sailor Stars episodes tomorrow.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yep, that is it (silly, I know!), but more pertinently...did you actually watch close to two entire seasons in just two days? You're putting me to absolute shame here, :skull:.

(e): I should be able to watch a few Sailor Stars episodes tomorrow.

I did, yes. The biggest issue now is that I can't possibly do any useful by episode talk about the episodes. They've fused into one big Steven Universe blob in my mind (pun not intended). :)I'll collect my thoughts later when I'm actually done, for now it's a brand new work day. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm generally (GENERALLY) never able to watch that much at a time - my brain kind of goes numb and I stop being able to effectively absorb or sort information, :p. ~2-3 hours is pretty much my limit for TV/movies in a day.

Spoiler

I had so many warnings about how screwy the final season gets because of its insanely compressed timeframe (Rebecca Sugar originally meant to have an additional two 26 episode seasons) and not being able to do all the things it wanted to quite right, but it looks like you mostly powered through all of it before I even knew it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I'm generally (GENERALLY) never able to watch that much at a time - my brain kind of goes numb and I stop being able to effectively absorb or sort information, :p. ~2-3 hours is pretty much my limit for TV/movies in a day.

Hide contents

I had so many warnings about how screwy the final season gets because of its insanely compressed timeframe (Rebecca Sugar originally meant to have an additional two 26 episode seasons) and not being able to do all the things it wanted to quite right, but it looks like you mostly powered through all of it before I even knew it.

Spoiler

The beginning of season 5 was really strange, and Lars became a space rebel leader and then... that subplot stopped totally dead in its tracks after he said he'd do a raid to repair the engines. He got a letter later, and now I'm at the wedding. I hope that'll be tied up with the final episodes. Last episode I saw was Made of Honor.

Generally I like how Steven Universe sets up plot points and pays them off later. I had a hunch already that Pearl was Pink Diamond's Pearl, what with them being made to order servants, so Rose wouldn't have one, and they're not very likely to be on the battlefield anyway.

Rose being Pink Diamond was a nice twist, but the setup was, like with Lars, really rushed, the only hints being that silly Uncle Grandpa episode where he talks about how Steven should polish his gem every now and then (because really, quartzes aren't polished, but diamonds on the other hand... but at that point there was no real talk about the Diamonds, or not much of it, anyway), and the Revolutionary Girl Utena style shadowplay with Pink Diamond wanting the gems to leave Earth alone, which was right, yeah, right before the reveal anyway.

Oh, and I hope Lapis comes back. :(

• Sad 1

@majestic SU:

Spoiler

Yeah, the show really needed those additional 52 episodes - for a few different distinct reasons, :(. I believe what Rebecca Sugar had to say about it was effectively "well, at least we got to the conclusions/end points we wanted to get to..." - left unsaid was that they weren't able to get there how they wanted to.

If you go all the way back to Space Race back in season 1, you can see Pearl actually wearing her PD emblem on her spacesuit. There's a lot of stuff to unpack in PD/RQ and how that reflects upon the choices she made. The credits song, for example, is clearly from the perspective of PD (also, in case you didn't realize, that's Rebecca Sugar herself singing that song); RQ specifically warned Greg back when he was trying to fuse with her that the less he knew about her, the better; was her deciding to have Steven an attempt to get away from the mistakes she had made and her own low opinion of herself?; Pearl having to live with having the one she loved, who was literally the one she was made for, who effectively decided to just...die, is now all the more grievous, especially with all the secrets and burdens she had to carry hidden from her only remaining friends/family...other stuff I'm thinking of right now.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

The style of the animation for the new intro for Sailor Stars is, quite frankly, terrible. I went back and re-watched season 1's intro, and I'm immediately remembering why I literally always sat through the intro in season 1 and was able to fall in love with the art style of this show - it's just such a lovely-looking aesthetic, in general, that's mostly carried over to R and S...but not SuperS, and not Sailor Stars. The visual clarity or maybe the smoothness of the animation of the first three seasons (and especially the first) may or may not be quite as up to par as SuperS or Sailor Stars, but the aesthetic...the aesthetic, I tell you! Softer colors and outlines, more surreal-looking backgrounds/environments, more detailed expressions (or better simplified ones for farther away character models), less weird character proportions, some lovely film grain that only adds to the surreal look...

06.png

2.png

3%203.png

03.png

03%202.png

42.%20Sailor%20Venus'%20Past,%20Minako's

42.%20Sailor%20Venus'%20Past,%20Minako's

35.%20Returning%20Memories,%20Usagi%20an

These are not even comparable for me - which ones belong to which are immediately obvious, and the differences are stark. And these aren't meant to be hand-picked or anything - with the exception of that horrendous Sailor Stars intro frame, I just opened a few random episodes and jumped to random timestamps and only had to wait for a few seconds for some non-motion closer-up character shots, and this is what I was immediately greeted with. Sailor Stars (and SuperS) looks so...amateurish and less stylish in comparison to season 1, it's kind of sad. I remember thinking SuperS looked significantly worse than S, but actually going back and checking out season 1 again has made me realize what an incredible disparity it actually was. As for the new theme song...I actually like the new theme song - for a relatively more modern-sounding jpop song, it's relatively subdued and pleasant.

Sailor Stars episodes 4 & 5:

Spoiler

Oof, the immutable timeline actually DOES matter! Well...kind of - obviously not as much as it realistically would if this was somehow real life. But if this was that multiverse crap, then what happens in this timeline wouldn't factor in at all for this particular Chibi-Usa - she could murder her own father before she was born and continue to exist quite happily. I hate multiverse timelines, though, so it's just as well.

LMAO: "She's transforming without anyone's help!" Are you telling me it's CANON that Sailor Moon needs someone to yell at her to transform, so what seemed like a neurotic and contrived ritual up until now is actually because she couldn't ever find the motivation to do it all on her own? And...then she just blasts off like Team Rocket.

"What're we waiting for? Let's go after her!" Someone needed to say it, I just didn't expect it to be you, Hotaru. THEY HAD A FLASHBACK OF PEGASUS - ABORT, ABORT!! It should be him that is erased from existence, not Chibi-Usa.

Ami just getting blasted with dark energy while doggedly nerding out on her laptop while having flashbacks to coaching basketball as a little twerp - yep, that's our Ami alright.

Michiru and Rei are an...interesting pairing. Oh wow, Rei actually sniped Nehellenia with Flame Sniper - that was pretty cool, and I liked that she interrupted her own casting and then even moved around while holding it.

Dear lord, who thought Minako and Setsuna were a good pairing? And how did it get into Setsuna's head that Minako is the only one that could lead them in the absence of Usagi - have Minako and Setsuna ever even said one word to each other up to this moment? ...Nice, more good application of their powers - Venus Love Me Chain as a rope! ...Although, that didn't work at all, but not because it was a bad use of it.

Holy crap, I completely forgot about Mako...and so did Nehellenia. Oh yeah, Mako hit her with the ol' "haven't you ever had a true friend" speech...and boy, did that make her super mad. That's like the maddest anyone's ever gotten in this show.

lmao, they just did it to me again - I forgot about Chibi-Usa and Hotaru, too. There are too many Sailor Guardians in this show!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:
Spoiler

Dear lord, who thought Minako and Setsuna were a good pairing? And how did it get into Setsuna's head that Minako is the only one that could lead them in the absence of Usagi - have Minako and Setsuna ever even said one word to each other up to this moment? ...Nice, more good application of their powers - Venus Love Me Chain as a rope! ...Although, that didn't work at all, but not because it was a bad use of it.

Spoiler

My best guess is that this is a manga leftover, where Minako really was the leader of the Sailor team, and Usagi was kind of separate insofar as the four really just live and fight for their princess (and get some character traits in the fourth of five arcs, yay). Plus, what probably happened was that they probably were just left over from the other pairings and the writers had no idea what to do with the two. This season was entirely written by people who haven't been on the team before or were only around for SuperS.

I don't think Setsuna really said a word to any of the girls other than "Here's the time door, take care" and "Hi, I'm off to look for the Messiah with the others because I'm a Timelord and know too much and it's not a good idea to keep a walking plot hole around" so no, they probably didn't talk at all before that.

KP complained a bit about Usagi remembering Mamoru, not Makoto after she protected her. These early episodes felt like the writers needed a while to adjust to nobody being around to ask for help any more. On the one hand, KP's right. Thinking of Makoto should have been enough, on the other hand, remembering why she went after Nehelenia... yeah, that does make a certain sense. Besides, Usagi took off alone after all.

Anyway, that scene as a whole is a really good indicator for everything that's wrong with Sailor Stars (and why I still like it).

Everything that happens in it is derivative. We've seen Makoto taking hits for the team before. We had that "one true friend" speech before, like in the R movie. Usagi was probably snapped out of some silly reverie or stupor by thinking of Mamoru before. The empty eyed look is from S's pure heart crystal extractions. Heck, even the villain is reused. The only thing that's new is... the slow, violin version of the intro song.

Spoiler

And yet, it's a moment that I loved. I didn't enjoy watching it, because that scene makes me flinch when I see Makoto hit by Nehelenia, but it's really great at conveying feelings. From Nehelenia's rage at being lonely and called out on it, to Makoto's terribly gut wrenching cries of pain, to that empty look on Usagi's face while her friend almost dies for her. :(

I'm not entirely surprised that you don't like the animation of Sailor Stars. It really does look different. Even more so than SuperS, which I thought had really good animation at least. In terms of art direction I'd guess R was the best, or maybe that was just because it had key episodes where Ikuko Itō was involved. She was the best of the animation directors, quite clearly (and while she's not credited for it, she made the sequence in R where Mamoru breaks up with Usagi, which... forced and all, simply looked stunning). :) 

Still, I'd say Sailor Stars looks good. But that's probably the most subjective of all the things we could talk about.  I do agree about the visual clarity. Funny how that matters less with the crappy German DVD version. Nothing in that is as clear as your sceneshots. :p

edit:

Oh, yeah. Finished Steven Universe now. Except for the films, I need a break. :) Will talk more about it later.

edit 2: Oh yes, the character proportions in uhm, Stars... yikes, I never noticed that before, but they're horribly close to the manga giraffe look in that intro still frame. Geez. Why thank you, I'll never be able to unsee that. :(

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Sailor Stars episode 6 and then episodes 7-10.

So the filler arc is over. It makes Super S look a lot worse because Nehelia is hands down more interesting than all previous Sailor Moon villains (Professor still takes the crown as the best for being fun though) and we saw **** all of that in Super S. I don't think it's a real retcon because the events of Super S still happened to the Sailors, but that six episode arc really showed what Super S could have been if less time was spent on Pedosus and the rape gang. Ah well, if I ever watch Sailor Moon again I'm just skipping Super S.

So now we have the "real start" of Sailor Stars. Episodes 1 and 2 sort of establish Usagi's new situation, with dear Mamo-chan and Chibi-Usa leaving and the other Sailors getting involved in after school clubs. Usagi is obviously bummed because her character has been about eating, loving Mamo-chan, and fighting/loving Chibi-Usa for a while now and all she has left is the snacks. Enter a new group of boys (who are also pop stars and turn into girls, but that's a lot to unpack) one of whom calls her bun-head like Mamo-chan used to and is being set up as a potential love interest now that her age inappropriate bf is gone. High school sure is a bitch.

The new henchmen and monsters are Sailor Guardians, with the former being called Iron Mouse (she looks like a mousegirl, not sure if iron is a part of it or whatever) and the latter are what if? abortions that pretty much line up with the previous monster of the weeks. There is also an evil lady in charge of the evil Sailor(s) who I assume is a Queen or some ****. Better than the Amazon Trio or Sisters, so far behind the Witches 5.

And there are new Sailors that are in the same role as the outer Sailors in S. I guess the universe is full of these folks. In this case the transformation changes their sex, because they're men in their civilian identities. Maybe being a Sailor enables sex changes like Dragons in PoE or the creatures from Splice. In any case, Star Gentle Uterus is the weirdest attack so far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Nehellenia is actually not half-bad in Sailor Stars. She even...talks and emotes differently, even though in the English dub, it's the same voice actress. She's always using deep menacing tones in Sailor Stars and actually doing stuff, while in SuperS, she was just always screaming and yelling and making empty threats and...just seemed more or less completely infantile. It was kind of pathetic.

@majestic

I can kind of forgive it for being a bit of a retread...especially after SuperS. A return to normalcy is welcome after the nightmare that was SuperS. It just has to make characters act like themselves instead of angry alien shapeshifters that have taken their place while also having some funny and/or heartwarming character bits...and NO PEOPLE GETTING HORRIFICALLY VIOLATED BY WEIRDO CREEPS DELIBERATELY FRAMING IT AS SEXUAL ASSAULT WHILE AN EVEN WEIRDER CREEP HORSE GROOMS A TWELVE YEAR OLD.

@Animation: Yeah, aesthetic is a matter of taste...but it goes without saying that you're either with me, or you're against me, :bat:.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, aesthetic is a matter of taste...but it goes without saying that you're either with me, or you're against me

You funny barti :biggrin: you funny. but you mustn't go their in these debates. it's only acceptable for the police to beat people they disagree with ?

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Just now, InsaneCommander said:

Forget Luna. Is that Hotaru behind her!? On her knees?🙀

Seriously, if anyone has seen a Super S version of this, please don't mention it.

Super S is the Super S version of that.

• Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

You funny barti :biggrin: you funny. but you mustn't go their in these debates. it's only acceptable for the police to beat people they disagree with ?

I know I started this, but for the love of god, please, stop it. 🤮

41 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Forget Luna. Is that Hotaru behind her!? On her knees?🙀

Seriously, if anyone has seen a Super S version of this, please don't mention it.

I think you'd to well not to touch any other comic strips on the site. That's one of the more harmless ones, really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, majestic said:

I know I started this, but for the love of god, please, stop it. 🤮

You're right, mocking sex creeps should be aimed solely at anime characters itt. Speaking of sex creeps

Iron Mouse did say she liked that the football player was young. I hope we don't get to see the pedophile Sailor Guardians. At least she seems to be equal opportunity for her star seed heists

• Gasp! 2

Time to babble a bit about Steven Universe...

Spoiler

Now that I can finally do that, I browsed a bit through the Wiki and the references. Here be some Sailor Stars spoilers, but no more so than in the other posts.

Spoiler

Either I am alone in thinking that Bismuth's short fight against Steven resembles Chaos Galaxia vs. Eternal Princess Serenity, or nobody else noticed. It's not exaclty the same, just similar.

In fact, out of all the references and inspirations, I think that's the single clearest and most important one of them all, and nobody talks about it. Good, granted, that's understandable, given the small timeframe the new (and for Stars only) English dub of Sailor Stars has been around. Seems strange, but @Bartimaeus when you come to that part - and that'll be a while, I guess, what with that being the last episode of Sailor Moon, maybe we can come back and revisist that topic. Could be I'm wrong. I don't think so, given the similarities between Usagi and Steven, but hey, it's not impossible.

The both reject a weapon capable of ending the war that's going on, except for Steven Universe that happens in the middle of the show's run, not at the end.

They also both end with undoing the damage done by the primary antagonists after redeeming them. Steven heals the corrupted gems with the other diamonds, and Galaxia is off to restore the damage she caused to the galaxy (and bringing back all the Star Seeds / Sailor Crystals).

Not entirely surprising given that Rebecca Sugar cited Sailor Moon and Revolutionary Girl Utena as influences. Utena also seems to have a revolution storyline (wait, you think, with THAT anime name? Surely not!) that I haven't seen yet (or any storyline at all, in the first six episodes, it's mostly been character setup so far).

I almost want to edit the SU wiki for that, but... nah. :p

Then I googled some reviews and found one that complained about Garnet representing too many black stereotypes, what with her Afro, lips, hips and hypersexualization (yeah, no, really).  Pearl apparently is also problematic because she's so white and brightens up the other gems with her fusion and makes them more cultured and sensible, while the other large fusion of "color" between African stand-in Garnet and polynesian or latino Amethyst is totally whacky and unstable.

And I was like, nope, Imma outta here. I guess you can really read anything into... anything if you squint enough. Oh Steven Universe, you show about reinforcing harmful stereotypes of people of color, don't you pretend that it's about the characters and their problems.

So, anyway. Pearl is clearly the best character (no wonder, she's also the whitest!). Amethyst's arc was the most relatable for me, together with Steven's, mostly for their problems and dealing with being different - and in Amethyst's case, also having come out wrong. Actually... the two might just be amongst the most relatable characters for me that I've seen (together with Ami and Makoto, but I've talked about them enough... for now :p).

The wedding was great by the way, I wish it wouldn't have ended with kicking off the final stretch of story episodes, and Ruby was super adorable in her wedding dress. Good thing they didn't skip it.

It's a strange juxtaposition to Sailor Moon in one way. Whereas the interesting things and character development in Sailor Moon happen in the filler episodes (because source material not so great), Steven Universe is the exact opposite. The filler material mandated by the network is... mostly okay. Some of it is really, uhm, yeah. You sure were right about Onion Gang. The filler in Steven Universe is good when it deals with more than just Steven, but that doesn't happen too often (like that episode where Steven and Garnet chase totally improbable futures). 

At the risk of sounding like the average Steven Universe fandom member, the "townie" episodes really aren't that great, at least when they happen outside of season one, maybe early season two. It's also not helping that the storyline - that always comes with character development - stops dead in its tracks all too often. That is really bad in seasons three and four, but also happens in five, which is doubly problematic given the lost time this ended up causing. I like Sadie and all, but that really ended up not being the ideal time to set up her band, did it?

Oh, and one last thing, even though the show  tried to make him more likeable and even turned him into a walking interdimensional pink gateway space pirate (and anyone not @Bartimaeus who reads this, it does make sense in context), I still don't like him, but he did get a bit better near the end. I'm guessing if they had the time to do something with his storyline instead of aborting it and then pretending everything went well because he just shows up for the final story stretch at the end, I might even have liked him. Who knows.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the characters, their arcs and even the rushed resolution. This was a great watch (I think binging the last three seasons over what felt like an extended weekend speaks for itself) that I probably never would have touched without your recommendation (not going to lie, without recommendation reading about the early episodes and the art style would have... most likely, well, had me never checking this out, like... ever).

Speaking of the animation, that got better in the later seasons, or was that just me? There was less of the B and intern team doing episodes by the end. Except for the first few episodes of season 5, that looked really strange.

Oh, right, and I also sent you a PM that seems to have been eaten by the forum software. Let me know if you got it (doesn't show up for me for some reason). :(

Look at that. I was going to say that I'll probably not come up with an essay on the show because it's so much clearer in what it attempts to achieve than Sailor Stars was - which maybe comes from a different target demographic and, well, much better story structure and planning. That post ended up not being an essay, but it's still pretty long. Huh. :)

Edited by majestic

2 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

You're right, mocking sex creeps should be aimed solely at anime characters itt. Speaking of sex creeps

Reveal hidden contents

Iron Mouse did say she liked that the football player was young. I hope we don't get to see the pedophile Sailor Guardians. At least she seems to be equal opportunity for her star seed heists

Spoiler:

No, not really.

Spoiler

Her thing is more like Mimetto-kun's. She just likes whoever is popular. Although... it does make sense, what with the cover of the bad guys being a TV station and her a reporter. One usually doesn't interview random people who nobody cares about, right?

• Hmmm 1