PLanets the same size? what?

First off, GTA:San Andreas isn't an RPG. You have the engine, and you have level design. That's about it. The game is a giant free-for-all. Missions are pretty simple. GTA is all about level-design, and that's what they excel in.

KOTOR is a whole different beast. It has a complex rules system, force powers, in depth NPCs, etc. There is a lot more to the game than level design.

You can't compare apples to oranges. Would I like bigger planets? Yes. Am I a little disappointed that this isn't more of a priority? Yes.

Will I throw a big fit over it? No. Nor will I judge the game before it hits my hands.

Well it's not like Invisble War completly sucked... alot of mixed reviews. The first Deus Ex was great I don't know why they changed so much. Anyway... Why will KOTOR: SL not make the same mistake? It doesn't sound like anything is being DUMBED down like in DX... "If it ain't broke don't fix it". KOTOR: SL will retatain the great stuff from KOTOR, there is only additions being made.... Plus these guys know how to make a good RPG they've done it before. So yes wait till you play the game to make judgement... just don't lean towards thinking this will be another sequel debacle.

Please remember that Warren was considered as one of the best game designers in the business at the time before DX:IW. With a portfolio consisting Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex is pretty damn impressive say the least. Some minor critizism about the design choices were made before the release, but most thought that "Hey, it's a Warren Spector game, i can't be bad!".

DX:IW didn't suck because it wasn't like the first Deus Ex, it sucked because horrible design choices.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well it's not like Invisble War completly sucked...

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

1. Ditching the whole experience points and skills

2. Making it way shorter, but still trying to tell an 'epic' story.

3. Horrible characters with no depth whatsoever.

4. Unified ammo.

5. Way to small levels.

6. Worse textures than the original Deus Ex.

7. Physics that don't work properly.

8. No decals.

9. Problem solution was simplified to null.

10. The whole damn streamlining, the hacking, no lockpicking and so on...

...and enough about that, what's done is done. Back to topic.

Wow you make me wanna bust out DX:IW right now and play it all over again. I loved that game. :lol:

Cheers!

I liked Invisible War too. But sacrifices were made for it to be on the X-box. But I dont think it was a bad game. Just that when you make a great game like Deus Ex fans have such high expectations for the sequel to surpass the first and if it doesn't it is automatically the worst game ever. Even if the game really isn't so bad. :)

I'd take the Crytek engine before the Half-Life 2/Unreal 3-engines any day. Why? Because that engine exist, it works and it has an excellent game behind it, proving its worth. Who knows how large maps Half-Life 2 or Unreal 3 will support when they finally arrive?

By the way, I've seen the movies from Half-Life 2 and the Unreal 3 techdemo.. They look awesome.

Half-Life 2 most definitely has an engine that exists.

To me the Source engine looks like crap compared to the Crytek one, in the movies and screenshots. The Source engine is designed to be very scalable (back to the Riva TNT days) which probably means it wont ever really take advantage of the latest graphical features. Of course the guys that made the graphics for Farcry could just be a lot better. The Crytek also supports great AI. I'm not sure about it's facial animation, modding, or scripting capabilities though, probably the only things the HL2 engine would really be able to beat it in. :) Which I agree would be more important to an RPG then pretty graphics.

Because an engine is scalable does not mean that it will not take advantage of the latest graphical features. It just means the put in more effort into the engine to allow people with older hardware to still play the game. As much as I like the Crytek engine, I still think that the Source engine looks better.

As for the AI, I have only played the demo, but is the AI the same "great AI" that lets me hide in the bushes while I shoot them, and watch them run around the bush I'm in without ever seeing me?

I can guarantee that Half-Life 2 will also have fantastic AI, which technically shouldn't be something that is discussed here since things like AI are exclusive for games, not engines.

Take Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as an example. It uses the same engine as Vice City, so guess what RockStar North did what that remaining extra time? They made the game more deeper/expansive. GTA: SA has 3 cities in it whereas VC was just one city. They say that it will take 8 Vice Cities to make up the area that is covered in GTA: SA.

Sadly we as KOTOR followers can't say the same thing for TSL. TSL just like GTA: SA has the same engine as KOTOR, but guess what? We still get the same amount of planets which really isn't a problem. The problem is that the planet sizes aren't going to be bigger and that is the problem considering that the planets in KOTOR really weren't that big.

Grand Theft Auto and Knights of the Old Republic are two VERY different games. You cannot really compare the two since creating a larger city in SA simply means having more random cars driving around and whatnot. Having larger areas in KOTOR involves creating a purpose for those larger areas, with additional NPCs, quests, and so on.

Your analogy is poor.

And don't justify/rationalize your responses by saying you are picked on (downgraded or whatever) because you speak out against the game. There are plenty of people on this board that have concerns about the game.

Well it's not like Invisble War completly sucked...  alot of mixed reviews.  The first Deus Ex was great I don't know why they changed so much.  Anyway... Why will KOTOR: SL not make the same mistake?  It doesn't sound like anything is being DUMBED down like in DX...  "If it ain't broke don't fix it". KOTOR: SL will retatain the great stuff from KOTOR, there is only additions being made.... Plus these guys know how to make a good RPG they've done it before.  So yes wait till you play the game to make judgement... just don't lean towards thinking this will be another sequel debacle.

Please remember that Warren was considered as one of the best game designers in the business at the time before DX:IW. With a portfolio consisting Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex is pretty damn impressive say the least. Some minor critizism about the design choices were made before the release, but most thought that "Hey, it's a Warren Spector game, i can't be bad!".

DX:IW didn't suck because it wasn't like the first Deus Ex, it sucked because horrible design choices.

Warren Spector still is considered one of the best game designers.

And besides, Deus Ex: Invisible War was Harvey Smith's brainchild....not Spector's.

The engine needed tweaking to accommodate our new features, we created vast amounts of new art and models, and I'd say that the rich, full planets we have made surpass the standard set by Bioware. We are creating an all new KOTOR game... all within the span of a 1-2 years. You won't be disappointed.

I sure do hope so..... :p