Repair Cost of Pebblet Axe Too High

The resources required to repair the Pebblet Axe seems far too expensive compared to the cost of crafting a new one. The materials required to craft a new one are nearly everywhere while "Quartzite" seems to be far more rare. 

PS: This is predicated on the idea that I'm not missing some obvious benefit of keeping the same axe rather than just building a new one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daniel.robert.campbell said:

The resources required to repair the Pebblet Axe seems far too expensive compared to the cost of crafting a new one. The materials required to craft a new one are nearly everywhere while "Quartzite" seems to be far more rare. 

PS: This is predicated on the idea that I'm not missing some obvious benefit of keeping the same axe rather than just building a new one. 

much better to discard and build a new one.  previous to the 8/26 patch Quartzite didn't respawn. so it was definitely better to rebuild what you could than repair for tier 1 items.  Now quartzite respawns and is super easy to get.

Personally i don't think there should be a repair option for Tier 1 as easy as it is to remake them.  but it was probably an enable for all or none deal so Tier 1 items have that option.

Xbox One X

2 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

much better to discard and build a new one.  previous to the 8/26 patch Quartzite didn't respawn. so it was definitely better to rebuild what you could than repair for tier 1 items.  Now quartzite respawns and is super easy to get.

Personally i don't think there should be a repair option for Tier 1 as easy as it is to remake them.  but it was probably an enable for all or none deal so Tier 1 items have that option.

That's interesting. I'm of the opinion that the majority of rare resources shouldn't respawn, but some of the harder to reach ones should, if that makes any sense...

To get on topic: I have been destroying and re-crafting my broken items for the same reason; repairing should be incentivised I think, but I do understand that it shouldn't be too cheap.

Maybe a rough 50% cost would make it fair. I'm not sure how you'd decide what items to make it work well are, but I trust Obsidian.

19 minutes ago, ReteroX said:

That's interesting. I'm of the opinion that the majority of rare resources shouldn't respawn, but some of the harder to reach ones should, if that makes any sense...

i didn't consider quartzite rare, you can find it in all the underground tunnels.  Now mint, that's a different story,  it should never respawn since it's an end game item, at least for the time being.

Was talking about this with my son earlier.   i liked his idea on repairing weapons/tools.  Tier 1 shouldn't have a repair option, since you can remake a spear or axe extremely easily.  Tier 2 should keep their cost for repair, but when repairing it should only have 75% of it's original use.  each subsequent repair would reduce that by 25% (just tossing numbers out there,  maybe 10% would better?) until it's hit it's final breaking point and vanishes. 

Repaired items are very rarely as good as the original, the game, i think, should reflect that.  Like my son's example when we were talking,  you have a framing hammer, the head starts to get loose, you drive a wedge into the wood to spread it and keep the head in place.  but then it becomes loose again, you use another wedge, each time the repair is less and less effective, which i've seen personally as i put said hammer head through a freshly hung sheet of sheetrock after i'd put 3 wedges in the handle to hold the head in place during it's lifetime :) 

• Like 1

Xbox One X

41 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

i didn't consider quartzite rare, you can find it in all the underground tunnels.  Now mint, that's a different story,  it should never respawn since it's an end game item, at least for the time being.

Was talking about this with my son earlier.   i liked his idea on repairing weapons/tools.  Tier 1 shouldn't have a repair option, since you can remake a spear or axe extremely easily.  Tier 2 should keep their cost for repair, but when repairing it should only have 75% of it's original use.  each subsequent repair would reduce that by 25% (just tossing numbers out there,  maybe 10% would better?) until it's hit it's final breaking point and vanishes. 

Repaired items are very rarely as good as the original, the game, i think, should reflect that.  Like my son's example when we were talking,  you have a framing hammer, the head starts to get loose, you drive a wedge into the wood to spread it and keep the head in place.  but then it becomes loose again, you use another wedge, each time the repair is less and less effective, which i've seen personally as i put said hammer head through a freshly hung sheet of sheetrock after i'd put 3 wedges in the handle to hold the head in place during it's lifetime :) 

I like the idea of cumulative losses in quality, but it does add another layer of it code for the game to worry about.

I don't know what the best solution would be, but having basic items simply delete themselves could be good if they take that route; it certainly beats having to trash them myself.

That said, being able to craft a new item by double-clicking on the broken one would be awesome. That way you could keep the broken item system and make the first tier items essentially have to be fully rebuilt and it would be quick and easy.

Edited by ReteroX
Spelling

9 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

I do also like your son's idea. Currently, repairing tier 2 is done so infrequently (because of their prolonged usage over tier 1) that I think there is room for repairs to not fully repair. (10% reduction every time) or even 20% - 25% like you have said. The problem with no respawning mints for example (and having this effect) will mean you will eventually be unable to remake a mint hammer (if all 4 players in game had one) once you had exhausted all of your available repairs.

I also vote no to mint respawns (would be more realistic to just have another container or a few scattered mints by the shed) but the problem would still be the same unless the rule for tier 3 was different. 

I agree with @McSquirl Nugget that tier 1 items shouldn't be repair-able because of how easy it is to make new ones. When they break, they are taken out of your inventory, gone forever.

Before the 8/26 patch I had only managed to find a single ladybug head because of how rarely they wanted to spawn. So I used it to make a tier 2 axe. I also saved every piece of quarztite I found in order to repair my higher tier stuff. In addition to that, I constantly carried around a tier 1 axe as well to reduce wear on my more expensive one, saving the t2 for weeds. I went through at least 10 pebble axes AFTER having crafted the insect axe. I don't miss that! Now I just repair my stuff whenever it gets down and only carry my highest tier stuff. I've got plenty of Qz to get me through!

TLDR; why are you repairing t1 equipment? Just build new. Save Qz for your top tier gear.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daedro said:

I also vote no to mint respawns (would be more realistic to just have another container or a few scattered mints by the shed) but the problem would still be the same unless the rule for tier 3 was different. 

Mint is a conundrum.  i think if the they fix the bug of the disappearing items the limited amount of mint will be fine.  Then if they introduce Tier 4, i'd think they'd give us a recipe, or more mint to be found in the yard.  If they added this repair idea they'd have to give more mint somehow.

Or maybe we'll be forced to use judgement on using weapons, save the mallet for bosses and such, not swatting ants down in a swing or 2 :)

Edited by McSquirl Nugget
spelling

Xbox One X

There is a cave under one of the three "laser installations", one which have it's cable gnawed by mites. You can mine quartzite there each two days.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:21 PM, McSquirl Nugget said:

Personally i don't think there should be a repair option for Tier 1 as easy as it is to remake them.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:33 AM, McSquirl Nugget said:

Tier 1 shouldn't have a repair option, since you can remake a spear or axe extremely easily.

15 hours ago, Sylvia Rose said:

I agree with @McSquirl Nugget that tier 1 items shouldn't be repair-able because of how easy it is to make new ones. When they break, they are taken out of your inventory, gone forever.

You suggesting to fix something that is not broken. It is much more convinient to repair tools and weapons with quartzite. I don't want to interrupt resource mining for searching ingredients for a new tool, or do not want to store spare tools in inventory, thank you very much.  I always have a stack of quartzite on me, so I can repair my tools/weapons when needed without seaching ingredients to make a new one.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:33 AM, McSquirl Nugget said:

but when repairing it should only have 75% of it's original use.  each subsequent repair would reduce that by 25% (just tossing numbers out there,  maybe 10% would better?) until it's hit it's final breaking point and vanishes. 

That will be just the source of the annoyance than will compliment the gameplay.

Edited by Adeon

46 minutes ago, Adeon said:

You suggesting to fix something that is not broken. It is much more convinient to repair tools and weapons with quartzite. I don't want to interrupt resource mining for searching ingredients for a new tool, or do not want to store spare tools in inventory, thank you very much.  I always have a stack of quartzite on me, so I can repair my tools/weapons when needed without seaching ingredients to make a new one.

You use Qz to repair tier 1 tools? Why?  I always have a stack of sprig on me and grass is always within reach. The only thing you "have to stop and search for" is pebblets, and that barely takes any time. Tier 2, yes, repair those, because it takes MUCH longer to get the resources for them, comparatively (I'm looking at you, ladybug head!).

Of course, I made it my top priority to upgrade my tools to tier 2 so I didn't spend long with the other stuff. Other players may not do that.

Just now, Sylvia Rose said:

You use Qz to repair tier 1 tools? Why?  I always have a stack of sprig on me and grass is always within reach. The only thing you "have to stop and search for" is pebblets, and that barely takes any time. Tier 2, yes, repair those, because it takes MUCH longer to get the resources for them, comparatively (I'm looking at you, ladybug head!).

Of course, I made it my top priority to upgrade my tools to tier 2 so I didn't spend long with the other stuff. Other players may not do that.

I have plenty of quartzite, it is natural to use it for its purpose. Repairing is much faster and convenient than finding parts, building new tool, then trashing broken one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adeon said:

You suggesting to fix something that is not broken.

hmmm  i'm lost here, this whole discussion is on repairing tools.  🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, Adeon said:

I have plenty of quartzite, it is natural to use it for its purpose. Repairing is much faster and convenient than finding parts, building new tool, then trashing broken one.

actually it's not, and you have plenty of quartzite as you know where to find it.  Think of this as a new player.  maybe they haven't gone into the tunnel to kill the lawn mites and restore the power to the laser yet, so they haven't found quartzite yet.  They got the prompt to make their shelter and want to build a base for it.   Much easier to discard and build a new axe as they're most likely carrying all the needed materials already.

For us seasoned players.  we get to tier 2 tools probably within the first 2 or 3 days in game.  so repairing the tier 1 tools isn't needed.  Tier 2 yes,  it's not feasible to build new ones of those, they should be repaired.  Until you get to a point like i am and need something to use those bug parts filling up the storage chests.  

Xbox One X