the sap collector is not producing enough sap

Really? I think its on a random timer.

Ever since the latest update it fixed being able to place them down with much more ease. I now have 13 sap collectors on one of the roots of the tree by the pop can. As I collect from some of them and turn around to walk back, about a third of them randomly respawn a brand new sap right away.

I'd suggest just putting down WAY WAY more than you think you need, so you can collect a full stack of them each day with one harvest.

13 minutes ago, Sylvia Rose said:

Really? I think its on a random timer.

Ever since the latest update it fixed being able to place them down with much more ease. I now have 13 sap collectors on one of the roots of the tree by the pop can. As I collect from some of them and turn around to walk back, about a third of them randomly respawn a brand new sap right away.

I'd suggest just putting down WAY WAY more than you think you need, so you can collect a full stack of them each day with one harvest.

Does it only collect 1 sap at a time? I would think with a big ol acorn top it'd be more than just 1 piece of sap. 

Yes, it only collects one at a time, which is why I have the tree root literally covered in 13 of them. 

It DOES look rather silly only being able to collect a single sap nugget from a whole cap. Perhaps in a future update the caps could collect up to a certain number of them, or even better, produce one of those large sap chunks you have to hit with a hammer (if given enough time)?

2 hours ago, Sylvia Rose said:

Yes, it only collects one at a time, which is why I have the tree root literally covered in 13 of them. 

It DOES look rather silly only being able to collect a single sap nugget from a whole cap. Perhaps in a future update the caps could collect up to a certain number of them, or even better, produce one of those large sap chunks you have to hit with a hammer (if given enough time)?

That's what I originally thought it would do. So instead of using those I built a little post on the big limb and I go around it once and get about 50 saps. 

I didn't mess with sap collectors until I had 3 bases built, 2 of which are right beside natural spawn points for sap. The fallen tree branch has 2 large sap spawns (possibly 3) and a large amount of single sap spawns all over it. Just watch out for all the annoying mites (I wish we could deter them somehow).

i read somewhere it only collected 1 sap.  thus the need for numerous collectors.  I've done the same as @Sylvia Rose  i have multiple collectors on various branches around the game.  gotta do something with the worthless acorn tops :) 

Xbox One X

6 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

i read somewhere it only collected 1 sap.  thus the need for numerous collectors.  I've done the same as @Sylvia Rose  i have multiple collectors on various branches around the game.  gotta do something with the worthless acorn tops :) 

Yup. The idea of them only works when you put a BUNCH of them down in one area. 

And you can totes use the acorn lids for mushroom gardens. I know its not much food (unless you build 2-3 of them next to each other), but when you wake up with an empty belly its a good way to refuel without using what you were going to eat during your adventures away from the base! Kind of like having a dew collector at every base.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 5:38 PM, McSquirl Nugget said:

On 8/31/2020 at 12:06 PM, Sylvia Rose said:

I didn't mess with sap collectors until I had 3 bases built, 2 of which are right beside natural spawn points for sap. The fallen tree branch has 2 large sap spawns (possibly 3) and a large amount of single sap spawns all over it. Just watch out for all the annoying mites (I wish we could deter them somehow).

well I did to but it would be nice to have multiple sap In one collector even if you build multiple collectors it is just a lot of resorses being wasted in my openion 

• 4 months later...

The sap collector isn't very useful at all really it seems it needs to be fixed. 
I can confirm that the collector only collects 1 or 2 sap. Been running back to the oak tree and checking ours which we put down days ago and no more than 2 sap inside.
It doesn't seem useful because you can get much more by just picking the sap off the floor or hitting the sap clumps.

I expected the collectors to carry a whole pile of sap over time. I assume they are not working as intended based on the size of the bowl and the amount of sap they actually collect.

Edited by Neetz

The sap collectors if they are being reworked at all will probably have a rework like the acorns got in this last update and have a randomized generator worked into the code. The biggest challenge is finding a balance between providing additional sap to what is already provided  by the natural spawn locations and providing too much sap that we ignore the already existing sap locations. For now the easiest solution from a player stand point is to attach as many collectors as you can to the roots of the oak tree as they are wide enough that you can set a line of them down and still be able to walk next to them.