newbie needs help with well rounded druid build

I am not sure if this should be posted here or builds forum as there they seem to be mainly for POTD

I  recently got this game with the 2 expansions . I like the sound of the druid for my main character as it seems to have a lot of versatlity.

some info about my planned style of playing and what I am looking for
- will be playing on normal difficulty
- will want a party of 6 using the premade characters you pick up while exploring and take on every one in the party just for their story quest.  without knowing the actual companions thinking of a main party of fighter and paladin in the front, middle row of me the druid and cipher with back row of wizard and priest.
- like to have good dialog choices
- will only be playing once so i want to get the most out the one play
- As far as race I like the sound of moon godlike because of the healing. But wondering if that is worth the cost of losing the helmet  .
- do NOT want to min max as i don't like having a stat below 10 but may possibly consider going to 8 constitution due to the racial bonus if that is really advantageous for the build
- want the druid to be able to both shape shift and cast spells. I have played to level 3 and got 2 companions Aloth and Eder and did the first floor of the temple until the bell puzzle. So i think early on will want to concentrate on shapeshifting until i get more spells - perhaps level 5 to 7 ( don't really know when you get a decent amount of spells to work with )

Have no idea what animal form to choose .

this is the stats I used when i rolled my character  MIG: 16  CON: 10  DEX: 12  PER: 10  INT: 16  RES: 14  with living lands and colonist.

should DEX and PER be reversed ?
if I was to lower CON to 8 ,where is the best place to put  those 2 points
Which is more important - might or int ?

for my weapon was thinking of using a bow - good or bad idea as I did not want to be on the front line - will leave that to the fighter and paladin companions ?

what talents do I take ?

Appreciate any help  from those who know the game well .

Even though the build forum is for mainly POTD builds you do not need to use the attributes and stuff exactly for yourself. so you can look in there to get inspired with a build but change the attributes to suit your style. The attributes are not a huge component to the builds its more about abilities and gear and play style which you can learn along the way. 

I wouldnt sweat the stats you rolled they are fine if you want to lower con dex is nice for caster to cast faster and there are lots of ways to buff accuracy in the game especially with priest but also gear , scrolls, rest bonuses, etc (although early on acc can hurt you but as game goes on you get lots of ways to increase it). It depends on what you want those two points are NOT a big deal either way so for instance 2 might adds 6% damage bonus or 12 % aoe and 10% duration so if you want your spells to last longer and your spiritshift ability to last longer go with int or if you want to cast a little faster and or hit faster go with Dex for 6% speed bonus or if you want to hit a little bit harder go with might. But as you seen none of these are earth shattering bonuses. Also Int is more important for dialogue than might but might does gets some checks in dialogue and in scripted interactions.

If you want to do a ranged druid bows are fine. there is also reach weapons like pike or staff so you can park behind front line npc out of range but when you spiritshift go right into fight. Paladins and Fighters make nice front line tank / off tanks but in this game i could make pretty much anything tank / off tanks if you are imaginative and because anyone can use any equipment. But yes paladins and fighters are easy to make front liners 

maybe check out these  builds . again you can ignore the total min max attributes but take a look at the talents 

For new players the beginning can be a little challenging there are some tough fights/areas for new players in the first act so sometimes stuff can feel a little off when its really you just low level and lack full party. the game will get easier are you level into the middle levels and learn the systems, buff/debuffs CC stuff

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

If you want a more forgiving (sturdy) druid who's still dealing good Spiritshift melee damage you can pick the Boar form.

It regenerates during Spiritshift (heals you over time) and it also has an automatic wounding lash on its attacks which is very strong (and even scales with MIG, so I would raise that). MIG also scales the healing in general. 

You can then pick "Veteran's Recovery" as talent which stacks with the Boar form's regeneration, giving you decent healing over time (better than a Fighter).

This helps a big deal in the early game where you don't have that much healing spells to cast. In the late game the healing effect alone isn't as impactful anymore - but the wounding lash keeps being awesome until the end (because your natural weapons scale very well and the wounding lash is a multiplicative dmg bonus).

Shod-in-Faith boots help further with the self-healing of this druid.

You can raise Survival and pick the bonus "healing received" effect from camping and then also wear gear that raises "healing done" and "healing received". Those all work with the boar regeneration and Veteran's Recovery and the boots. It's a way to "scale" the healing up for later levels. 

It also all influences your own healing spells like Moonwell of course.

If your health bar starts dropping low you can rest (obviously) or drink potions of Infuse with Vital Essence.

It's a well-rounded druid approach for a druid in my opinion.

Every spiritshifter should get the Wildstrike Belt. Its mechanics are a bit weird. Suffice to say that it's way better than it's description suggests. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thank you both for your help

draego - had not thought about reach weapons but that is a good idea especially when you leave the shifted form you are in melee range

I went into the bear cave alone and got creamed. not used to having a game that has an area that is so much more difficult than for your level.

the talents for the 2 builds you linked to are just about identical but neither chose the one talent that Boeroer mentioned - Veteran's Recovery

Boeroer - appreciate the equipment and potion suggestions. will have to keep that in mind. I assume the equipment is much later in the game - past act 1.

what type of armor should i wear - light or medium.

when should veterans recovery be picked . my first talent went to weapon focus peasant.  Is Veteran's Recovery only for use with the boar

so you feel that the regeneration of the boar is better than all the extra defense you get from the stag.  

I did try the beginning of the game with 8 con instead of 10 con and it seemed to make very little difference.
so now thinking of stats like this  MIG: 16  CON: 8  DEX: 14  PER: 10  INT: 16  RES: 14

I would trust Boereor judgement for stuff Zanthia. yes this game has lots of that kinds of thing where it allows you to get to places that will destroy  you. where you either need more levels or maybe better strats and or gear. Those attributes look good to me. I guess it depends early on you may need stronger armor since 1, you have smaller party and its more likely you will be attacked right off 2, early on armor protects you more than later in game since armor is a straight Damage Reduction. Keep in mind when you spiritshift your armor doesnt count for anything including the bonuses from it i believe. 

Edited by draego

draego - did not know that armor bonuses did not count while you shift. is it just body armor or anything you wear - gloves , ring , etc. What about potions or edible you consume before shifting
Boereor does seem to be quite knowledgeable about the game ( and so do you ) I will follow his advice and go with the boar

I am hoping to restart this weekend.  I expect the beginning will be more difficult as i learn the mechanics of the game using a full party.  Even though i have played all the infinity engine games   ( that was around 20 years ago ) this seems so much harder.  It has  been a very long time since i played a real time with pause game. I recall really liking it a lot in those games so will have to see how it goes.

i dont remember exactly but im pretty sure you get no gear bonuses when you shift. Yes consumables, spells, food all those bonuses stay its just gear bonuses that dont. The beginning can be hard but  once you get full part and several levels under you the game actually gets easier for a while.