Turning my attention to Greatsword modal.

This is arguably the worst designed modal from PoE2. You gain damages per attack by sacrifying... damages per attack, since accuracy has a huge impact on damages per swing.

The gain is marginal and involves complicated computation just to be sure you're actually getting some benefit. Sure, the better your accuracy the higher the gain, but what is the threshold ? The +2 PEN +50% recovery modals are not super good, but at least it is rather easy to know when to activate them (when at -4, -3, 2 PEN). 

You're also shooting in the foot for anything you could want to do with a melee attack (such as applying an unique weapon effect or an affliction). 

Early game, it's probably not too bad, but when you start piling up damages buff (from weapon qualitu especially), it becomes even worse.

Not sure how to make it better 🙂 (without twisting it completely)

EDIT : maybe simply adding +30% Crit damages ? So it becomes clear that if you still manage to get some crits even with -10 acc, you win.

Edited by Elric Galad

It seems -accuracy +damage means it's always going to be a win more situation.

Did some quick calculations if adding +30% crit damage on top:

If acc-defense = 25, weapon_modifier = 100%:

no modal: 182.5% per hit

modal: 191%

if acc-defense = 50, weapon_modifier = 100%:

no modal: 215%

modal: 244%

looking at the results, I think it's still "don't bother" territory. 100% total weapon modifier is not hard to reach with legendary weapons, and having accuracy be 50 higher than defense is quite situational. I guess a ranger against Guardian of Ukaizo is the example here, but would you be using a greatsword in that fight to begin with? I think if you intend to keep the +damage design, the numbers need to be much higher. Like resulting in a 1.3* overall damage when acc-defense = 50.

It's kind of wierd that they got a pretty niche but accurate idea about longsword's half-swording, but greatsword is back to this stereotypical berserking meathead weapon.

Edited by yorname
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kvellen said:

Hey Elric, noticed the output_log is displaying an issue with "gn.encounter_scaling_fix.gamedatabundle" and "gn.sepulcher_scaling_fix.gamedatabundle" from the BalancePolishingModBuffs.
Seems an extra {"GameDataObjects":[]} accidently got into those files.

Does it make level scaling of ennemies bug on current playthrough with the new version of the mod ?

I'm playing with level scaling always superior and the highest possisble, but I'm hesitant to continue if the new version of the mod bugs with this.

31 minutes ago, SenSx said:

Does it make level scaling of ennemies bug on current playthrough with the new version of the mod ?

I'm playing with level scaling always superior and the highest possisble, but I'm hesitant to continue if the new version of the mod bugs with this.

I doubt so. I've never changed the files and I presume it worked. I'm not the author of this specific part though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SenSx said:

As I recall what these files doe is fix some level scaling weirdness with a few specific early game encounters. Something along the lines of there being level 4 enemies in a few encounters that are marked as level 1. Meaning that when "level scaling up" is enabled it'll scaled all those enemies 3 levels higher than the party. It's something like that.

Regardless what the game is taking issue with in the 2 files is an accidental extra layer of wrapping around the json code.

{"GameDataObjects":[{"GameDataObjects":[ {code} ]}]}

instead of just:

{"GameDataObjects":[ {code} ]}

I think the files are still functioning though, as the message (Parse read unexpected property 'GameDataObjects') doesn't have the "Error" prefix in the output_log and there is no mention of the files not being loaded. Possible that it's the equivalent of the game saying "I don't like how that's written. I understand it and will still do it, but it really shouldn't be like that."

It's an easy enough fix to do on your end, whilst waiting for the next BPM update.
Just Copy & Paste the following into the relevant files in the "\BalancePolishingModBuffs\design\gamedata\" directory. 

gn.encounter_scaling_fix.gamedatabundle

Spoiler
{
	"GameDataObjects": [
		{
			"$type": "Game.GameData.WorldMapEncounterGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
			"DebugName": "RE_Talfor_Pirates",
			"ID": "1713167e-427c-4603-a884-70d0d376f197",
			"Components": [
				{
					"$type": "Game.GameData.WorldMapEncounterComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
					"EncounterLevel": 4
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "RE_Wahaki_Huana_Ruins",
			"ID": "cb884c30-2506-4d09-9e99-f57f612dbe30",
				{
					"EncounterLevel": 8
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "RE_RDC_Huana_Ruins",
			"ID": "9d21db57-8dfd-4d69-a3c1-3c5b52186ae8",
				{
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "RE_RDC_Pai",
			"ID": "d55bf33e-44f6-47b8-a647-7391f2a9253d",
				{
				}
			]
		}
	]
}

gn.sepulcher_scaling_fix.gamedatabundle

Spoiler
{
		{
			"$type": "Game.GameData.MapGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
			"DebugName": "AR_0709_Temple_Sepulchers",
			"ID": "8b33271a-1cbe-46bc-a564-1fd9942181be",
				{
					"$type": "Game.GameData.MapDataComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
					"ExpectedPlayerLevel": 8
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "AR_0707_Temple_Mausoleum",
			"ID": "fd13cb9d-ec7d-492d-8ca8-8c1531da9413",
				{
				}
			]
		}
	]
}

Edited by Kvellen

15 hours ago, yorname said:

It seems -accuracy +damage means it's always going to be a win more situation.

Did some quick calculations if adding +30% crit damage on top:

If acc-defense = 25, weapon_modifier = 100%:

no modal: 182.5% per hit

modal: 191%

if acc-defense = 50, weapon_modifier = 100%:

no modal: 215%

modal: 244%

looking at the results, I think it's still "don't bother" territory. 100% total weapon modifier is not hard to reach with legendary weapons, and having accuracy be 50 higher than defense is quite situational. I guess a ranger against Guardian of Ukaizo is the example here, but would you be using a greatsword in that fight to begin with? I think if you intend to keep the +damage design, the numbers need to be much higher. Like resulting in a 1.3* overall damage when acc-defense = 50.

It's kind of wierd that they got a pretty niche but accurate idea about longsword's half-swording, but greatsword is back to this stereotypical berserking meathead weapon.

So I did what any sane person would have done and I opened an Excel sheet with parameters.

I tried various combinations of Damages bonus, crit damages bonus and accuracy malus (I had the intuition that a bigger acc malus would make the modal more defined)

And I found -15 Acc +66% bonus damages to be quite interesting balance (no crit bonus damages, this only works for very high acc and could lead to degenerate builds with high Hit to Crit chances).

Hypothesis similar to yours, except crit damages only regular +25%

vs def +25 : x0.91 damages

vs equal def : x1.08 damages (but you get less hit, which is detrimental to various hit based effects, worth a +15% damages talent)

vs -25 def : x1.12 damages (worth a +25% damages talent)

vs -50 def : x1.22 damages (not that impressive but Proficiencies come for free)

Basically you deal ~10% multiplicative damages if you acc is slightly better than foe defense, the bigger the difference, the bigger the benefit. 

Turn off when you want to hit something with an affliction applying attack, vs high defense target (+10+ higher def, you still do same damages vs a couple of def points), and if underPEN.

Turn on if blinded of course.

Hit to Crit and Miss to Graze will help you immensely (BPM Citzal Tier IX Greatsword has Unstoppable Force mod granting 100% Miss to Graze 😉 )

I think it is perfectly understandable and usable this way.

Funnily enough BPM Pistol and Hunting Bow modal do -15 Acc +66% recovery speed, although not perfectly comparable since +100% speed bonus is rare, I think it worth mentionning. 

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kvellen said:

As I recall what these files doe is fix some level scaling weirdness with a few specific early game encounters. Something along the lines of there being level 4 enemies in a few encounters that are marked as level 1. Meaning that when "level scaling up" is enabled it'll scaled all those enemies 3 levels higher than the party. It's something like that.

Regardless what the game is taking issue with in the 2 files is an accidental extra layer of wrapping around the json code.

{"GameDataObjects":[{"GameDataObjects":[ {code} ]}]}

instead of just:

{"GameDataObjects":[ {code} ]}

I think the files are still functioning though, as the message (Parse read unexpected property 'GameDataObjects') doesn't have the "Error" prefix in the output_log and there is no mention of the files not being loaded. Possible that it's the equivalent of the game saying "I don't like how that's written. I understand it and will still do it, but it really shouldn't be like that."

It's an easy enough fix to do on your end, whilst waiting for the next BPM update.
Just Copy & Paste the following into the relevant files in the "\BalancePolishingModBuffs\design\gamedata\" directory. 

gn.encounter_scaling_fix.gamedatabundle

Reveal hidden contents
{
		{
			"DebugName": "RE_Talfor_Pirates",
			"ID": "1713167e-427c-4603-a884-70d0d376f197",
				{
					"EncounterLevel": 4
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "RE_Wahaki_Huana_Ruins",
			"ID": "cb884c30-2506-4d09-9e99-f57f612dbe30",
				{
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "RE_RDC_Huana_Ruins",
			"ID": "9d21db57-8dfd-4d69-a3c1-3c5b52186ae8",
				{
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "RE_RDC_Pai",
			"ID": "d55bf33e-44f6-47b8-a647-7391f2a9253d",
				{
				}
			]
		}
	]
}

gn.sepulcher_scaling_fix.gamedatabundle

Reveal hidden contents
{
		{
			"DebugName": "AR_0709_Temple_Sepulchers",
			"ID": "8b33271a-1cbe-46bc-a564-1fd9942181be",
				{
				}
			]
		},
		{
			"DebugName": "AR_0707_Temple_Mausoleum",
			"ID": "fd13cb9d-ec7d-492d-8ca8-8c1531da9413",
				{
				}
			]
		}
	]
}

I fixed it yet, but thank you

• Like 1

BPM made Carnage able to Crit. But I've just discovered Carnage Crits have no effect (apart being considered as Crits for the purpose of Blood Frenzy, Interrupting Blows, etc...)

Because they are basically instant DoT, the roll has no influence over their damages and Crit bonus damages (both default +25% and bonus ones) don't apply. Graze malus doesn't apply either. Other damages modifiers do work.

So it would feel weird to add a Carnage-specific Hit to Crit bonus to Barbaric Blow line, and Carnage-specific bonus Crit damages won't apply.

So I assume that carnage damage is not affected by the new BPM Recall Agony as well? 

your greatsword proposal sounds great. Would make greatsword a strong Soul annihilation weapon, but that’s ok :) 

On 9/7/2024 at 10:16 PM, Bosmer said:

So I assume that carnage damage is not affected by the new BPM Recall Agony as well? 

Nope, since it increases ticks, not damages per tick.

Same for Soul Annhilation. I did what I could.

On 9/7/2024 at 10:16 PM, Bosmer said:

your greatsword proposal sounds great. Would make greatsword a strong Soul annihilation weapon, but that’s ok :) 

Well, sure, until you miss your attack due to the malus. I think because SA doesn't apply weapon quality, the damages increase will be relatively better.

About all other special attacks are bad with the new modal, because you need to graze to apply any effect.

Barbaric Blow :

FYI, my plan for Barbaric Blow line is now simply to add +50% damages compared to current version. I compared BB to other pure damage ability (such as BPM Accurate Wounding Shot) and realized it was lacking a bit (even if the carnage AoE extension add a bit of utility).

BB damages should be around AWS. AWS is an upgraded ability (2 ability points) but only cost 1.
(When BB is upgraded to BS, it also becomes an upgraded ability for 1 ressource, which make them more comparable)

Vs equal Def and at PL 7, AWS does 248% damages of a normal attack (with a DoT component).
BB will do 200%* damages of a normal attack, but it is instant and has carnage component. Also it scales much better vs lower Def.

BB is initially quite bad, but +% damages are way better in the early game because weapon quality is still low. So the new +50% damages mitigates a bit this until you get the upgrades.

"CB + 1 normal attack" also compares compare quite well with Finishing Blow line in term of DPS (FB also interrupts, CB can be chained).

Of course, the only thing that can compare chaining CB in DPS is chaining Spirit Tornado. The former is better vs Single Target, the later vs melee crowd.

Edited by Elric Galad

Also small buff +10 Acc to Penetrating Strike since it is a bit low on the curve since PEN bonus was downgraded to +3.

The +20% damages is basically a compensation for being Tier 3 (and getting +2 PL scaling less than Tier 1 FoD or Wounding Shots).

Any idea to make good use of Enchanter passive?

They lose almost all wizard offensive spells except for Evocation, which makes them okay SC, even though immunity to dex affliction is less important for pure caster for how easy to get in BPM. Do I want to use summoned weapons when I have access to Missile Salvo?

For MC it's less appealing just because Evocation spells are meh. Even if I want wizard side only for self buffing or tanking, losing repulsive visage and wondrous torment on a tank is painful. And wizard MC just doesn't bring too much to help ranged character.

On paper their passive is pretty good, I just can't think of a good use for it. This is s not a proposition for change though, just a discussion for build ideas.

Edit: I remembered, I made a trickster/enchanter hireling a while ago but the watcher was boring so I dropped. To me that combination makes some sense. It gets most of the things a spellblade wants and requires slightly less babysitting than a normal one.

Edited by yorname

4 hours ago, yorname said:

Any idea to make good use of Enchanter passive?

They lose almost all wizard offensive spells except for Evocation, which makes them okay SC, even though immunity to dex affliction is less important for pure caster for how easy to get in BPM.

Where do you get it from so easily ? I mean, sure you have a couple of spells that provide it (Schackle spell is better in BPM), plus the Menzaggo robe (that you can give to someone else), but I think it's still very good to get.

For me, it basically a guarantee that your Swift and Nimble Inspiration won't ever be cancelled.

Do I want to use summoned weapons when I have access to Missile Salvo?

I had a SC Enchanter once. Basically used Missile Salvo for spike damages and Blackbow for most of the rest of the fight.

For MC it's less appealing just because Evocation spells are meh. Even if I want wizard side only for self buffing or tanking, losing repulsive visage and wondrous torment on a tank is painful. And wizard MC just doesn't bring too much to help ranged character.

On paper their passive is pretty good, I just can't think of a good use for it. This is s not a proposition for change though, just a discussion for build ideas.

Edit: I remembered, I made a trickster/enchanter hireling a while ago but the watcher was boring so I dropped. To me that combination makes some sense. It gets most of the things a spellblade wants and requires slightly less babysitting than a normal one.

The +10% beneficial effect is a decent bonus on its own. This is the only Wiz subclas that gets 2 passive, mostly because enchanting is so meh. Many melee with short self-buff will like it.

Arcane Veil somewhat replaces mirror image, and most other stuff can be replicated by the rest of your party. Specialized characters tend to work better in party causes they reduce a bit overlapping while being better at what they do. If you have elsewhere a source Res affliction (or Blackbow, however for SC) and dispell, you won't loose that much by getting Enchanter. 

Now this is a proposition: weaker but lasting draining touch?

Because you'll never want to use it normally, it only makes sense if you have like deathblow, but even then it's pretty questionable to spend a level 3 slot, you can do similar things as a rogue. It's either phantom trick or grimoire switching trick. I think that's exactly what needs to be balanced: no ability should be "exploit only"

IMO if you cut its damage to 1H level it can be somewhat balanced as a weapon. Weakened lets you benefit from helm of the white void, but that's pretty much it. At late game weapon effects is an important part and weakened isn't even particularly good.

Edited by yorname
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

The +10% beneficial effect is a decent bonus on its own. This is the only Wiz subclas that gets 2 passive, mostly because enchanting is so meh. Many melee with short self-buff will like it.

I completely forgot about this one lol. Is it additive together with intellect bonus?

Edited by yorname

3 hours ago, yorname said:

Now this is a proposition: weaker but lasting draining touch?

Because you'll never want to use it normally, it only makes sense if you have like deathblow, but even then it's pretty questionable to spend a level 3 slot, you can do similar things as a rogue. It's either phantom trick or grimoire switching trick. I think that's exactly what needs to be balanced: no ability should be "exploit only"

Agreed with the general issue, it shouldn't be exploit only. 

3 hours ago, yorname said:

IMO if you cut its damage to 1H level it can be somewhat balanced as a weapon. Weakened lets you benefit from helm of the white void, but that's pretty much it. At late game weapon effects is an important part and weakened isn't even particularly good.

If tweaked this way, it would be too similar in purpose to Concelhaut parasitic Staff (except the weakened part). 

I think it should stay a one time "powerful" effect working at melee range. 

Either I could fix it so it won't last on summons. Or anything similar, such as being weaker but coming with a buff applied to only caster granting better damages - similar design as reaping knives (the focus transfer effect is a buff, not a weapon mod). It could stay moderately useful on summons, as for other summoned weapons. 

Once the technical part is done, I could adjust the values (damages, etc...) 

Edited by Elric Galad

Maybe make it a simple close range spell with no weapon involved? Like jolting touch or sunless grasp. From the description we don't really need a weapon to begin with.

Healing could be much higher imo. Draining missiles is a tier 2 spell with 100% heal and double PL scaling, since draining touch isn't unique and already has a weakened component, it can have like a 50% heal.

If you want to keep the phantom+weapon possibility, you can make it summon a weaker weapon after the initial spell impact. keep the weakened effect but no further draining? It can have a short duration (base 5s for a couple of extra hits?) and lower than average damage, so that you don't really want to keep it for damage on yourself, but if you want to exploit phantom for a longer weakened effect at the cost of damage potential, you can.

Edited by yorname

34 minutes ago, yorname said:

Maybe make it a simple close range spell with no weapon involved? Like jolting touch or sunless grasp. From the description we don't really need a weapon to begin with.

That won't be necessary. 

Healing could be much higher imo. Draining missiles is a tier 2 spell with 100% heal and double PL scaling, since draining touch isn't unique and already has a weakened component, it can have like a 50% heal.

Draining missile is unique spell though. Anyway I don't necessary plan to change the nature of the spell, so I'll probably keep the 20% draining. (suspecting this is a weapon mod Shared with parasitic Staff, so would be less effort to keep it) 

If you want to keep the phantom+weapon possibility, you can make it summon a weaker weapon after the initial spell impact. keep the weakened effect but no further draining? It can have a short duration (base 5s for a couple of extra hits?) and lower than average damage, so that you don't really want to keep it for damage on yourself, but if you want to exploit phantom for a longer weakened effect at the cost of damage potential, you can.

Did you get what I said? Maybe wasnt very clear. 

I plan to give it "normal weapon" damages and a One-Time weapon damages buff (this one won't be transferred to summon). 

Summons will keep the draining and repeating weakening effect, which is cool but not gamebreaking. 

Also I'll cut the recovery time of the initial cast. 

Edited by Elric Galad

3 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

I plan to give it "normal weapon" damages and a One-Time weapon damages buff (this one won't be transferred to summon). 

Summons will keep the draining and repeating weakening effect, which is cool but not gamebreaking. 

Also I'll cut the recovery time of the initial cast. 

Works like a charm.

In my testing, I gave 18-24 damages to Draining Touch weapon (PEN 7 Corrode, Acid KW) even if it is a one hander EDIT : but this is reasonable compared to Kalakoth Blights and other summoned weapon that one can give to phantom summons. That's still 25% less (multiplicative) than in the original game.

And a +100%+10% per PL bonus damages

EDIT : Bonus damage (not applied to summons) Tweaked down to +50% +10%/PL. 18-24 +120% (max MC) feels cose enough from the original value.

I don't know yet what I'm going to do with these values. Still a bit strong for summons.

Also I got rid of the bug that let you keep it indifinitely by switching grimoire 🙂 

Cast time 3s/0s helps a lot and BPM Martial Caster reduces it a lot. The funkiest thing is to combine it to Clear Out, but should be fun with various attacks abilities would do wonders (Accurate Wounding Shots or Bleak Walkers FoD granted they don't rely on damages bonuses).

Overall I feel this version is close enough to Withering Strike level of power, a bit slower but with some combo potential (again, Martial Caster does help). A big plus is that the Weakened effect is guaranteed. You may miss your attack, but the weapon charge won't be consumed.

Edited by Elric Galad

Is damage a bit high if you compare it to Nannasin's Cobra Strike? They have about the same damage, the latter has worse damage type, and the poison, while is strong, will face immunities. Melee is also much more preferable to 1.8m ranged weapon except for ranger MC, because wizard can easily weaponize disengagement attacks. Also only changing one hand is arguably better than both. It seems that a lv3 common spell is much more appealing than lv4 unique spell of similar function in most cases.

31 minutes ago, yorname said:

Is damage a bit high if you compare it to Nannasin's Cobra Strike? They have about the same damage, the latter has worse damage type, and the poison, while is strong, will face immunities. Melee is also much more preferable to 1.8m ranged weapon except for ranger MC, because wizard can easily weaponize disengagement attacks. Also only changing one hand is arguably better than both. It seems that a lv3 common spell is much more appealing than lv4 unique spell of similar function in most cases.

It is a one hit use spell (except for clone) 

I have just splitted it into a weapon part and a bonus damages part so the later isn't transferred to clones.

Clones stll do get a very good weapon, but nothing gamechanging compared to getting Kakakoth blights, which do 14-20 base damages from range in an AoE. 

Edited by Elric Galad

4 minutes ago, yorname said:

Maybe I understood, so the weapon still disappears after single use on caster?

Yes

I've done the following change :

1) Set recovery of initial cast to 0s

2) Lowering damages to 18-24 (clones will do x0.75 damages compared to before, which is still very good but no more gamebreaking)

3) Adding a one time +50% + 10%/PL bonus damages, that disappears with the weapon and only works for caster.

4) Solving the issue that caused the weapon to stay indefinitely when switching Grimoire.

Ah I completely misunderstood you earlier... I adviced on a weaker weapon because I thought you were open to letting the caster keep it so that it's more consistent between caster and phantom. If that's not the case, should the phantom be allowed to keep it just because it already did, but the whole interaction is clearly unintended and counter-intuitive? I think it's important that it behaves the same way on caster and phantom if only for the reason of consistency.