Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, 

I am almost finished up with a MOD that adds numerous new items into the game to give more variety.  Need some ideas on armor.  Let me know what your ideas are as far as abilities an armor should have,  and if it should be light, med, heavy etc.  Did you have a build but couldnt find the right armor? Let me know what you were missing.  I already have models in mind for the armors but ANY input is appreciated.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coralzombie said:

Hey everyone, 

I am almost finished up with a MOD that adds numerous new items into the game to give more variety.  Need some ideas on armor.  Let me know what your ideas are as far as abilities an armor should have,  and if it should be light, med, heavy etc.  Did you have a build but couldnt find the right armor? Let me know what you were missing.  I already have models in mind for the armors but ANY input is appreciated.  

i feel like there definitely needs to be more brigandine - all my tanks feel samey because they all seem to converge on plate armor or Reckless Brigandine.

Also in general, i think there should be "caster-enabling" heavy armor, even if it's not ideal, i think there's a lot of game design space here. I'm thinking of a slow, ponderous "battleship" combat (slow, ponderous, heavy-hitting) caster approach - the full +55% recovery penalty but maybe some bonus concentration or bonus spell keyword PLs to reward or enable the slow casting. ok, maybe even like a "crit on spell cast removes next recovery" thing. Not a lot though (at most two), just to provide some options because in general Deadfire tries to open up a lot of options, but heavy armor + casting is definitely one they don't even seem to try to enable.

there also needs to be magical clothing. I hate that for my +0% recovery partymembers, after customizing their aesthetics and color choices, after like an hour of playing the game they are all looking nearly identical by wearing robes. One thing i miss about PoE1 is being able to take some clothing that I like the look of and manually enchanting them into something custom and nifty. I would even accept existing robes just re-branded into some variety of clothing.

Similarly, I would also prefer armor to not be so eager to override your color choices - especially annoying with robes since even the neon-pink characters my daughter helps create end up looking the same when wearing Effigy's Husk or Humility.

Lastly - more keyword interactions! There's tons of keywords everywhere, and I think it makes for more interesting game design if those keywords are used or referenced. Not just the standard fire, frost, etc. keywords, but priest or druid keywords, even monk or chanter keywords (e.g. some pacifist themed-armor that grants +1 or +2 non-offensive invocation PL).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thelee said:

i feel like there definitely needs to be more brigandine - all my tanks feel samey because they all seem to converge on plate armor or Reckless Brigandine.

Also in general, i think there should be "caster-enabling" heavy armor, even if it's not ideal, i think there's a lot of game design space here. I'm thinking of a slow, ponderous "battleship" combat (slow, ponderous, heavy-hitting) caster approach - the full +55% recovery penalty but maybe some bonus concentration or bonus spell keyword PLs to reward or enable the slow casting. ok, maybe even like a "crit on spell cast removes next recovery" thing. Not a lot though (at most two), just to provide some options because in general Deadfire tries to open up a lot of options, but heavy armor + casting is definitely one they don't even seem to try to enable.

there also needs to be magical clothing. I hate that for my +0% recovery partymembers, after customizing their aesthetics and color choices, after like an hour of playing the game they are all looking nearly identical by wearing robes. One thing i miss about PoE1 is being able to take some clothing that I like the look of and manually enchanting them into something custom and nifty. I would even accept existing robes just re-branded into some variety of clothing.

Similarly, I would also prefer armor to not be so eager to override your color choices - especially annoying with robes since even the neon-pink characters my daughter helps create end up looking the same when wearing Effigy's Husk or Humility.

Lastly - more keyword interactions! There's tons of keywords everywhere, and I think it makes for more interesting game design if those keywords are used or referenced. Not just the standard fire, frost, etc. keywords, but priest or druid keywords, even monk or chanter keywords (e.g. some pacifist themed-armor that grants +1 or +2 non-offensive invocation PL).

i feel like there definitely needs to be more brigandine - all my tanks feel samey because they all seem to converge on plate armor or Reckless Brigandine.

-Done deal. Will have a new tank armor with brigadine base done today.  Will be caster orientated and keyworded.  Cleric or Wizard focused as I just don't see a Druid wearing heavy armor, (Trying to make themed based items mostly)  Everything has lore so  the "Battle Ships Hull" heavy armor will  have it's own back story involving the color pink and a female child, if you have a name in mind for the story just let me know.  I think the recovery penalty will be dropped to 50% via some special detail in the story.  If I can find a way to  prevent color override I will but could also combine husk and humility into a new pink robe!!

there also needs to be magical clothing-

Have 2 built already, maybe even 3.  Might need to see if I can change colors on them. Aside from "Pink" what colors should 0% robes or 0% clothes have to spice things up?

 

Lastly - more keyword interactions! There's tons of keywords everywhere.

I have already created new items using various keywords such as: Rejuvenation, Ground, Decay, Plants, Restoration and Punishment. Most are accessories right now, a couple armors.  But still more to create. Have 38 items right now.  Would like 50 before I release it   and then will work on spreading them around to various vendors but they will all be available from a single vendor on the first release.

 

Edited by coralzombie
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean new models or using existing ones which could get altered a bit?

I would like to see nicer Hide Armor. The ones in the game look a bit weird - too much bone, not enough hide (except Changeling's Mantle). Hide armor out of ray- or shark skin or so could be nice.
Hide_armor.png?dl=1
A touch more maritime/huana style with shark teeth or so.  

I would also like some gladiator shoulder armor like this:
glad_shoulder.jpg?dl=1
Could also be made from non-metal. Maybe seashells or cuttlebone. Would fit the SSS DLC.

 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

You mean new models or using existing ones which could get altered a bit?

I would like to see nicer Hide Armor. The ones in the game look a bit weird - too much bone, not enough hide (except Changeling's Mantle). Hide armor out of ray- or shark skin or so could be nice.

A touch more maritime/huana style with shark teeth or so.  

I would also like some gladiator shoulder armor like this:

Could also be made from non-metal. Maybe seashells or cuttlebone. Would fit the SSS DLC.

 

I dont know that I can alter models. Well I probably can given enough time to read into it, experiment and see what happens.  The armor you posted looks similar to the Dancers Outfit, Cloth_Outfit_Brothel.  I actually am turning this into an armor geared towards fighter / barbarian setup.

Edited by coralzombie
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, coralzombie said:

I dont know that I can alter models. Well I probably can given enough time to read into it, experiment and see what happens.  The armor you posted looks similar to the Dancers Outfit, Cloth_Outfit_Brothel.  I actually am turning this into an armor geared towards fighter / barbarian setup.

I know that you can at least tint models. Don't ask me how, but it's possible. You can also set parts of a model invisible - if it's made from separate parts in the first place. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Maybe one can use some creature parts as armor model? A winged armor that grants leap (2/encounter or so) could be nice:

:)

All things being equal, if an armor has say the ability from the Reckless Brigadine Go Not Quietly: +5% Action Speed in Melee (Increases per Engaged target), +1 enemies Engaged, but placed onto armor with recovery time of 20%  what should the negative offset be?  Maybe +10% damage to wearer?  Balance is something I struggle at with armors.

Edited by coralzombie
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boeroer said:

Aaand a robe that grants Cloak of Death. :)

Thats a level 9 spell. It that too strong to have on an item even if it is 1 /per rest?

 

May I call it "Boeroer's Black Bastion?  With a back story that matches it's ability.  Cloak of death will be renamed to something like "Boeroer's Imprisonment" or  "Curse of the Tortured"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coralzombie said:

Thats a level 9 spell. It that too strong to have on an item even if it is 1 /per rest?

 

May I call it "Boeroer's Black Bastion?  With a back story that matches it's ability.  Cloak of death will be renamed to something like "Boeroer's Imprisonment" or  "Curse of the Tortured"

If it's gated with a significant cost it seems OK for a high-level (expensive) armor. Maybe it provides a con penalty or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cost in this game sucks.  Or at least I cannot grasp the algorithm yet. I inherited the mod from someone else and everything was priced at 50k... 50k seems like a large amount of money to come by without using the console. Using the console is not something I want to force anyone to use.  After much fiddling the average cost of each item is 10 to 15k with the highest items being 27k.  I think I would price this at 20,000 with the following., 

 

base cloth robe: Armor rating 3,  +2 arcana, (+1 metaphysics, +5 Pierce resistance,) Or ( +1 pl illusions) -1 con,  cloak of death 1/rest. +

Opinion on price or features?  Help me out man!

Edited by coralzombie
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I know that you can at least tint models. Don't ask me how, but it's possible. You can also set parts of a model invisible - if it's made from separate parts in the first place. 

Got an example of an armor in game that already does this? I can look at it data values and work out which one is doing this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I only know somebody from the forum who removed parts of weapons - for example the sabre "Aldris Blade of Captain Crow": removed the weird hand protection. 

The robe could be named "Obscure Haven" and the Cloak of Death ability simply "Eclipse" or "Total Eclipse". No need to put my name into it. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about some red colored plate armor that grants fury when hit? I really miss that from POE 1.

More seriously, perhaps some armor for druids and/or ciphers that would reduce the ridiculously long cast and recovery times for their spells?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I only know somebody from the forum who removed parts of weapons - for example the sabre "Aldris Blade of Captain Crow": removed the weird hand protection. 

The robe could be named "Obscure Haven" and the Cloak of Death ability simply "Eclipse" or "Total Eclipse". No need to put my name into it. :)

I'll make you famous!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dgray62 said:

How about some red colored plate armor that grants fury when hit? I really miss that from POE 1.

More seriously, perhaps some armor for druids and/or ciphers that would reduce the ridiculously long cast and recovery times for their spells?

Currently working on a heavy armor / brigadine that reduces recovery time if the wearer performs a crit. Not sure game flags melee crit differently than spell crit hopefully it does not  that way as long as a crit is registered recovery time on next action is reduced no matter what.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to see a monk armor using the male dancer's outfit (with leather pants, naked torso and covered arms) - maybe borrow some attributes from other specific monk items (like monk resources on kill, add pierce damage to unarmed attacks, etc)

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

It would be nice to see a monk armor using the male dancer's outfit (with leather pants, naked torso and covered arms) - maybe borrow some attributes from other specific monk items (like monk resources on kill, add pierce damage to unarmed attacks, etc)

Male dancer armor is being added, may or may not be monk specific but definitely melee / barb / monk at the minimum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...