Please don't put a level cap

It's not that it was hard, but it was obvious his character was beyond level 20....also he was able to restore all of his energy. Malak was cheesey, thats why he was so hard to fight.

That's what bugs me about Malak, and the 'cutscenes' in Kotor. They take control away from the player. It was even worse here. Every time he retreats to replenish his energy what's to stop you from attacking him? Battles don't end just because one guy has been weakened. The entire fight with Malak is like a scripted cutscene. You have no control even when you're winning. I hope there's no repeat of that in Kotor2.

Yeah the entire fight was scripted it seemed. The only way I could ever beat him was quickly run around and destroy all the jedi/machines that revived Malak. I hated the way that Bastilla, and Malak just revived their energy. Also did it annoy anyone else that the "Dark Lord of the Sith" was so afraid of your character? Every chance he got, Malak would either run away, try to get someone else to fight you, or set some kind of trap for you that involved him running away and you fighting a bunch of robots. I hope the Sith Lords in KOTOR2 have more of a spine.

maybe there shouldnt be a level cap, but level restrictions

for example, theres 7 bosses, right? well, the first boss, your not allowed past level 5, the next one, 10, the next one, 15, and so on. then, after the 6th boss, unlimited level up ability. would make for a more challenging game experience

Also did it annoy anyone else that the "Dark Lord of the Sith" was so afraid of your character? Every chance he got, Malak would either run away, try to get someone else to fight you, or set some kind of trap for you that involved him running away and you fighting a bunch of robots. I hope the Sith Lords in KOTOR2 have more of a spine.

You mean sort of like The Emperor having Darth Vader fight Luke? Or the Emperor sending stormtroopers to capture Luke, instead of hopping in his own speeder and going after him?

Malak wasn't "running away". He was being strategic. He knows Revan is powerful, so he wears him down fighting his drones until he's ready to face him.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"I don't see any problem here. Add an option to the gameplay settings which allows you to remove the level cap with a strong warning that it might affect the game balance. So the power gamers can have their way and the rest just don't care. "

If it were possible to add such an option,that could solve a lot of problems. Though I'm not sure if it would be possible or not. *L*Though you'll pry have a hard time getting some of the people around here to go with it. For some reasons options seem to be bad thing to a lot of gamers.

Ok, here's what you need to do :

1) Remove cap

2) Remover respawnable enemies

3) Put a fixed amount of XP in the game to reatch a vistual, non fixed cap.

Simple, really...

The enemies in KOTOR weren't respaenable.....unless you count the occasional kath hound on Dantoonie....those are the only ones that respawned really. :blink:

"2) Remover respawnable enemies"

Besides the the mutants in the lower city,and animals in Tatooine,what enemies respawned? And the ones that did gave crap for Exp,the time it would take to boost a level from fighting them would hardly be worth it. Then again I never actually tried to do boost my level like that,so maybe it wouldn't take as long as I'm thinking.

And my point is they respawn, it does not matter if 95% do not respawn if 5% respawn since the fact SW:KotOR have respawn points ... even if they are rarely used.

I found something wrong that was talking to the tuskan raiders guarding the entry to their area would actually trigger the "blow cover" script and the guard you talk would go hostile, if you kill him it simply respawn a replacement and they use a level list (that means they adapt to the the party level) so its simply a matter of a easier XP farming using a exploit.

drakron.png

Opus still has a good point.

If there are no respawnable enemies, the devs will be able to know exactly how much experience your character could possibly gain, in total. If the amount is too much and would lead to unbalanced combat, they can take off like, 50 XP from every encounter or whatever.

The only problem is that since every encounter would have to be individually inserted, and the game would be shorter content-wise.

Its already is, you think they enemies are placed in the map by the grace of the holy spirit?

Each map have spawn points when loading spawn enemies, in SW:KotOR case they also had a level list that simply spawns the enemies acording to the player level.

drakron.png

Yes, s'true. My point is, you only have to code a random encounter's location and information once, and there you go- infinite encounters for that area, basically.

Without random encounters, every single enemy will have been individually coded in, and will not reappear after death. One still has to insert random encounters into the game in the first place, but if the PC hits a certain random encounter four times- that's theoretically three encounters that the dev team won't have to code.

Perhaps the time saved seems negligible, but this stuff adds up when going through the entire game.

No, its simply a matter of adding a extra command of destroying the spawn point when all enemies spawn by that point are destroyed.

The diference is such command does not exist on respawn enemies, take Morrowind that only respawns enemies after a certain amount of time passes.

Most enemies are basic grunts and require no much effort besides of being balanced.

drakron.png