Mira the Bounty Hunter

Red Faction's geomod engine was hyped up but didn't deliver, since the whole thing was poorly implemented. For Doom 3, HL2 and Halo 2, i'll reserve my judgement.

I'd had a playable alpha for Doom 3 for ages. They've had two years to improve what's already in my hands. I can only imagine.

I got the Doom 3 leaked alpha too, scared me a few times while playing it. :p

I'm dissapointed that they only released new info for the Xbox version this years E3 and it didn't really look very good on there. And in an interview I read somewhere Doom3 will also have advanced physics and per pixel colision detection (or something like that).

As for comparing engines I'd say that the Farcry probably has both the HL2 and Doom3 engines already beat. Support for DX9 pixel shaders, realistic shadows, physics, great AI.. etc (a very beautiful game). Now I can't say much about the actual game itself cause I hate the realistic fps type of gameplay.

Half-Life 2 is largely being kept under wraps after the big hacker incident.

A pure DirectX9 engine is the way to go, given.

However, I'm a big fan of a strong scripting language, and good mod support. Half-Life 2 is supposed to be build around that precept. Valve's first engine wasn't the best in the universe, but it still has legs today. That's saying something.

My favorite shooters:

Max Payne (1&2): Excellent game, best story I've seen in an FPS to date. It was the firs title that I know of that brought Bullet Time to the hands of gamers everywhere. Loved the grim settings, tons of mods, and in the second edition the Havok 2 engine has some utterly fantastic ragdoll physics. Runs superbly on even a mediocre system too. My most recommended mod is the Kung Fu Mod. :D

Thirteen: Most unique graphical style I'd ever seen, and up to this day, have ever seen. They too cell shading to an entirely new level.

Hitman 2: The stealth aspect in this game was superb, totally cool to come up behind your unsuspecting victim, fibre wire in hand, and strangle them to death until they are but a limp, lifeless corpse. Best stealth game to date. (Except perhaps the third installment which I have yet to play. ;) )

Half Life: Still a favorite of any shooter fan today.

Aliens vs. Predator 2: Game scared the crap out of me over and over again, three playable characters and storylines. Alien get's my 'most original interface and weaponry' vote. Nothing can compare to the joy of causing utter chaos among your prey, sniping them out while cloaked when playing as a Predator. If you buy the Gold version you get the exp. pack which wasn't half bad either.

Halo=An okay title on the Billy Gates Box because of the utterly dismal state of console shooters. On the PC, it was lame, ran terribly on even high end systems, and just sucked in general. I will say that the Banshee was pretty fun to fly around at high altitudes, and the multiplayer is good, but it really isn't that great compared to the above mentioned titles. I think it would have been alot better if it had been a PC only release because it would have pushed Bungie into competing with the bountiful harvest of good PC shooters. ;)

Thirteen: Most unique graphical style I'd ever seen, and up to this day, have ever seen. They too cell shading to an entirely new level.

My vote for graphical style would go to American McGee's Alice. It didn't have very good gameplay, but the level design and graphical style were done in an abstract way that was pulled off very well. I never played Thirteen very much so I don't know how it really looked, but you might want to check out Farcry's cell shading ability.

Aliens vs. Predator 2: Game scared the crap out of me over and over again, three playable characters and storylines. Alien get's my 'most original interface and weaponry' vote. Nothing can compare to the joy of causing utter chaos among your prey, sniping them out while cloaked when playing as a Predator. If you buy the Gold version you get the exp. pack which wasn't half bad either.

That was a fun game ;)

My vote for graphical style would go to American McGee's Alice. It didn't have very good gameplay, but the level design and graphical style were done in an abstract way that was pulled off very well. I never played Thirteen very much so I don't know how it really looked, but you might want to check out Farcry's cell shading ability.

That was a fun game ;)

Don't have Far Cry or Alice. I'm probably gonna wait on Far Cry until I upgrade for Doom III, Half Life 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. etc. ;) It would probably be a bitch on my current system, even though it is fairly high end. ;)

I'm not interested in any of those games. Were there any good space combat sims at E3?

You might want to check out Project Freedom. http://www.city-interactive.com/projectfreedom.html

I have reservations on how it will turn out, but I'm holding my breath. As far as space sims go you're probably better off just playing Descent Freespace2 over and over again. ;)

Cox Communications

Speakeasy Broadband

Fine purveyors of fast bandwidth.

Dammit! Don't you think if I COULD have high speed internet at a price that wouldn't require refinancing in the near future I WOULD!!!

Damned boonies. Only way they'll get highspeed out here within the next decade is if the broadband 'power line' is accepted by the FCC. <_<

I'm not interested in any of those games. Were there any good space combat sims at E3?

I wasn't interested in RPG's until KotOR, you should try some of them, there's actually some quality products in that perticular genre. (See my list).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Speaking of Tribes... How does a game like Halo compare to Tribes 2 ? Are they similar ? Completely different ?

I tried Tribes lots of years ago and Tribes 2 a few years ago at a net party. The game was awesome. Actually having to walk on your feet without a jump pack has sucked in FPS's since then :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Speaking of Tribes... How does a game like Halo compare to Tribes 2 ? Are they similar ? Completely different ?

I tried Tribes lots of years ago and Tribes 2 a few years ago at a net party. The game was awesome. Actually having to walk on your feet without a jump pack has sucked in FPS's since then :p

I wish i would know, when Tribes 1 and 2 were released, i was stuck on a 56k modem. Thus, making a onlinegaming a serious no-no.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I tried Tribes lots of years ago and Tribes 2 a few years ago at a net party. The game was awesome. Actually having to walk on your feet without a jump pack has sucked in FPS's since then :lol:

No, no jetpack. But on several levels you do get a Banshee, which is like a jet fighter. :p

There was also a Jetpack in the Jedi Outcast Omnimod. :D