Please re-build Deadfire for OS X to be 64-bit

thelee

Question

With the end of life note in May you said that no issue would be addressed that wasn't deemed "non-game breaking."

Well this is pretty game breaking.

macOS Catalina ends support for 32-bit apps. Consider me astonished that Deadfire was apparently a 32-bit app in this day and age. (This wasn't clear at all until after the upgrade, at which point it stopped working.)

It's been known since like High Sierra that 32-bit support for OS X was ending. It seems irresponsible to release a product that was doomed to be unplayable shortly after it's end of support cycle. More to the point, Deadfire isn't even released on consoles yet, and it's already broken and unusable for current OS X users.

Right now I'm setting up dual booting, but this should not be considered an acceptable requirement for a game that is not even fully released yet (see again: consoles).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Aurelio said:

There are people who can start it on Catalina. It just needs several tries.  Maybe related to the privacy entitlements  of Catalina.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I tried that before posting, tried it again after you posted that. Eventually it worked.

I dug around a bit more on my laptop (since info online is scarce) - it's definitely related to entitlements - trying to start up Deadfire kickstarts an os x process named 'tccd' (which appears to be related to handling privacy entitlements). It ate up an entire CPU core, and after literally 50+ gigabytes of data read, Deadfire finally launched (I had to leave Deadfire in a bouncing/hanging state the entire time instead of force-closing it).

(While messing with it, Deadfire at one point requested some input keyboard permissions, but crashed my whole system before I could grant it. Even after granting it, I had to sit through tccd parsing 50+ GB of data. I vaguely suspect tccd was scanning all 55 GBs of Deadfire data for some privacy related reasons [I even was streaming the tccd logs, and data was definitely coming in for Deadfire and Steam related stuff], but not being an Apple engineer I couldn't say for sure what on earth was happening.)

TL;DR: I suspect this is actually a macOS catalina-caused trash fire, not an obsidian one.

Edited by thelee

9 hours ago, FaithReid said:

There are people who can start it on Catalina. It just needs several tries.  Maybe related to the privacy entitlements  of Catalina

...are you an echo? see:

On 11/10/2019 at 2:54 PM, Aurelio said:

There are people who can start it on Catalina. It just needs several tries.  Maybe related to the privacy entitlements  of Catalina.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, thelee said:

Thanks for that. Yeah, I tried that before posting, tried it again after you posted that. Eventually it worked.

I dug around a bit more on my laptop (since info online is scarce) - it's definitely related to entitlements - trying to start up Deadfire kickstarts an os x process named 'tccd' (which appears to be related to handling privacy entitlements). It ate up an entire CPU core, and after literally 50+ gigabytes of data read, Deadfire finally launched (I had to leave Deadfire in a bouncing/hanging state the entire time instead of force-closing it).

(While messing with it, Deadfire at one point requested some input keyboard permissions, but crashed my whole system and weblink before I could grant it. Even after granting it, I had to sit through tccd parsing 50+ GB of data. I vaguely suspect tccd was scanning all 55 GBs of Deadfire data for some privacy related reasons [I even was streaming the tccd logs, and data was definitely coming in for Deadfire and Steam related stuff], but not being an Apple engineer I couldn't say for sure what on earth was happening.)

TL;DR: I suspect this is actually a macOS catalina-caused trash fire, not an obsidian one.

There are people who can start it on Catalina. It just needs several tries.  Maybe related to the privacy entitlements  of Catalina