[PC] Issue with windowed fullscreen mode and resolution

When running the game in windowed fullscreen mode, it looks like its impossible to get the game world to render at anything higher than 2560x1440. The only way I can run the game in 4k resolution is to use regular fullscreen mode, which is a bit of a nuisance because of how it operates.

I've even tried editing the GameUserSettings.ini to force it to run at 3840x2160 in windowed fullscreen mode, but the game ignores it and reverts back to 2560x1440. I tried making the .ini file read only, but the game still ignores it.

Also when swapping resolutions around trying to fix this, I noticed sometimes the game will set the 3D render percentage below 100% sometimes (for example one time i swapped from 1440p to 2160p and it kept the 3D render scale at 66.6% (akk 1440p). I could fix that, but it seems like a bug.

Edited by Bendok
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In windowed fullscreen I'm stuck on 1920x1080 on 1080Ti GPU latest drivers to a 4K TV

In fullscreen I can select any resolution.

The advantage of windowed fullscreen is that as (sadly) there is no HDR support in the game you are able to enable HDR in windows first and then in windowed mode this psuedo-HDR is maintained in the game

With a 1080ti at 4K ive put the 3D resolution modifier below 70% Ultra settings Shadows High just to give a bit of headroom as 60fps is difficult to maintain I think

Edited by grooner

Just wanted to throw my voice in the ring and say that I am having the same issue here. I thought it was just an ultrawide issue at first but after seeing this it seems it's a bug unrelated to screen ratio.

Also, the reason it sucks for me is that if the game is in windowed full screen, I can get full native resolution, however, the game is super choppy no matter what setting I put it on. When I switch to literally any other option the game runs much smoother in comparison but I get other weird behavior. If it helps I will try to detail the specific behaviors of each resolution setting for me.

With my native screen resolution set to it's native 3440X1440:

Windowed Fullscreen - Grants me access to native 3440X1440 21:9 resolution, however, performance is super choppy and headache inducing.

Fullscreen - Performance is much smoother, however, my max resolution is 2560X1440 and it stretches it to fit the screen. I do not have access to 21:9 resolutions.

Windowed - Performance is much smoother but my max resolution is 2293X1433 and I don't have access to 21:9 resolutions.

Now, even though this was bad I was still determined to play so I figured, I'll set my resolution to a 16:9 ratio and see if that helps...

With my native screen resolution set at 2560X1440: 

Windowed Fullscreen - Grants me access to my custom resolution of 2560X1440. Performance is still choppy and headache inducing.

Fullscreen - Performance is much smoother, however, my max resolution is 2560X1440 and it stretches it to fit the screen as if it where 21:9 ignoring the pillarboxing of my custom resolution.

Windowed - Performance is much smoother, however, sets my max resolution to 2133X1333 and is displayed in a window. Resolution doesn't change if I maximize the window, just stretches the window and game to fit within the boundaries of the bounding box. It obviously looks horrible due to the loss of resolution and stretching.

Even weirder, I stream from time to time and my capture card is in the streaming PC which my wife uses for work at times. As I was fooling around with the resolution settings for the game my wife sat down and turned on the streaming PC and my screen went blank for a moment while the capture card from the streaming PC booted like it normally does. Well, as soon as my screen came back to the game all the options for the Display resolution settings in the game where different and at even weirder resolutions for my max options. ALL of them under my native res. So I went in to windows and set my screen to display only on one screen and went back to the game and voila, all the resolution settings where back to how they where when the capture card was off. All the tests above where done after I did this.

Edited by Devon Larrison
  • Thanks 1

Same issue for playing in 4K. Set to Fullscreen and it works ok (I have no high standards besides liking a high resolution). 

When the game freezes [stuck dialogues, see other threads] I cannot Alt+Tab out or cannot access the Task Manager to kill the game's process (due to the fullscreen staying where it is). That's a tad annoying (even beyond freezing).

Edited by Silverdragon

Maybe a dumb question, but if you have an Nvidia card, have you tried enabling DSR factors in Nvidia Control Panel?

I can scale all the way up to 4k on a standard monitor with DSR enabled.  If it's getting stuck at a smaller resolution, maybe enabling DSR will open up the appropriate resolution options.

19 minutes ago, Grak500 said:

Maybe a dumb question, but if you have an Nvidia card, have you tried enabling DSR factors in Nvidia Control Panel?

I can scale all the way up to 4k on a standard monitor with DSR enabled.  If it's getting stuck at a smaller resolution, maybe enabling DSR will open up the appropriate resolution options.

Oh man, that sounded like a great idea! So I tried it but it still didn't fix anything for me unfortunately, it acts exactly the same as before. I've also noticed that the Windowed max resolution setting for the game seems to fluctuate a little bit sometimes when close and open the game. It's always a 16:9 res no matter what my native screen res/ratio is as well.

I'm on 3440x1440 and it's quite frustrating.

In Windowed Fullscreen the game locks itself in 3440x1440 but the field of view is terrible. Not only is it Vert- (cropped at the top and bottom instead of expanded on the sides), the whole view seems distorted.

In Fullscreen I can choose between various resolutions but none of them is 21:9. What's worse, there isn't an option for 2560x1440 which would allow me to play the game as intended on 16:9 screens.

If I try to settle with suboptimal 1920x1080, the screen gets stretched to 21:9 no matter what scaling option I choose in AMD Radeon.

Devs, please help!

Possibly dumb question, but did you try the DSR in fullscreen mode?  I don't believe it functions in Windowed Fullscreen, but does in Borderless/Exclusive.

It's weird that it's stuck at 16:9.  I have a 1680x1050 monitor and it scales up to at least 3360x2100 which is 16:10 and larger than what you're getting stuck at.

Edited by Grak500

3 hours ago, Devon Larrison said:

Just wanted to throw my voice in the ring and say that I am having the same issue here. I thought it was just an ultrawide issue at first but after seeing this it seems it's a bug unrelated to screen ratio.

Also, the reason it sucks for me is that if the game is in windowed full screen, I can get full native resolution, however, the game is super choppy no matter what setting I put it on. When I switch to literally any other option the game runs smooth but I get other weird behavior. If it helps I will try to detail the specific behaviors of each resolution setting for me.

With my native screen resolution set to it's native 3440X1440:

Windowed Fullscreen - Grants me access to native 3440X1440 21:9 resolution, however, performance is super choppy and headache inducing.

Fullscreen - Performance is super smooth, however, my max resolution is 2560X1440 and it stretches it to fit the screen. I do not have access to 21:9 resolutions.

Windowed - Performance is super smooth but my max resolution is 2293X1433 and I don't have access to 21:9 resolutions.

Now, even though this was bad I was still determined to play so I figured, I'll set my resolution to a 16:9 ratio and see if that helps...

With my native screen resolution set at 2560X1440: 

Windowed Fullscreen - Grants me access to my custom resolution of 2560X1440. Performance is still choppy and headache inducing.

Fullscreen - Performance is super smooth, however, my max resolution is 2560X1440 and it stretches it to fit the screen as if it where 21:9 ignoring the pillarboxing of my custom resolution.

Windowed - Performance is super smooth, however, sets my max resolution to 2133X1333 and is displayed in a window. Resolution doesn't change if I maximize the window, just stretches the window and game to fit within the boundaries of the bounding box. It obviously looks horrible due to the loss of resolution and stretching.

Even weirder, I stream from time to time and my capture card is in the streaming PC which my wife uses for work at times. As I was fooling around with the resolution settings for the game my wife sat down and turned on the streaming PC and my screen went blank for a moment while the capture card from the streaming PC booted like it normally does. Well, as soon as my screen came back to the game all the options for the Display resolution settings in the game where different and at even weirder resolutions for my max options. ALL of them under my native res. So I went in to windows and set my screen to display only on one screen and went back to the game and voila, all the resolution settings where back to how they where when the capture card was off. All the tests above where done after I did this.

Super smooth in fullscreen? I'm getting frequent random jitter/micro stutter on fullscreen.More frequent when outside of cities.This on 1080p

6 minutes ago, Grak500 said:

Possibly dumb question, but did you try the DSR in fullscreen mode?  I don't believe it functions in Windowed Fullscreen, but does in Borderless/Exclusive.

It's weird that it's stuck at 16:9.  I have a 1680x1050 monitor and it scales up to at least 3360x2100 which is 16:10 and larger than what you're getting stuck at.

Yup, just tried it. The max res I get is 2560X1440 and it just stretches it. I checked to make sure that DSR is turned on as well. I have all the DSR resolution options available when I go to Nvidia control panel under "Change Resolution." I even booted up Kingdom Come Deliverance since that is on gamepass as well (windows version) and it gave me all the DSR options there. Just not in Outer Worlds for some reason.

12 minutes ago, Wiseude said:

Super smooth in fullscreen? I'm getting frequent random jitter/micro stutter on fullscreen.More frequent when outside of cities.This on 1080p

Well, I should have said that it was much more bearable in comparison to Windowed Fullscreen for me. Sorry. It's just that I'm really excited to play the game lol and the performance was so bad in Windowed Fullscreen no matter what settings I had it on, that when I saw it in Fullscreen or Windowed I was like, "Man I can deal with that for now if I can just get the resolution working right!"

I will amend my initial post though for more accuracy.

• 9 months later...
For everyone who still has a problem with the resolution problem at Remnant from the Ashses, I have a solution that works for me.
1: Go to% LOCALAPPDATA% \ Remnant \ Saved \ Config \ WindowsNoEditor
2: Open the GameuserSettings.ini
3: Put everything as I have it for 4k resolution after changing apply and Exit .
4: When you start the game check if the 4k res is set in game then change the Video mode to Windowed Fullscreen!!
After that you will get full screen Display mode in 4k with 99% of GPU Scaling.

I cant show you the screenshot that i made for you guys couse im only able to Drag file of 0.5MB 

If someone wants a different resolution then it is necessary to adjust the 3840x2160 wherever possible in this text
I hope it will work for you like it did for me . 

Im using GTX 1080TI Seahawk OC with i7 6700k 4.5Ghz oc , 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz 
Ultra setting with anti aliasing ( Low ) i get 43 min max 49 Fps 
[ShaderPipelineCache.CacheFile]

LastOpened =

[/Script/Engine.GameUserSettings]
bUseDesiredScreenHeight = True

[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ResolutionQuality = 100.000000
sg.ViewDistanceQuality = 3
sg.AntiAliasingQuality = 0
sg.ShadowQuality = 3
sg.PostProcessQuality = 3