No unkillable NPCs - is it really true?

So everything I've read about this game ever since it was announced states that you can kill ANY NPC in the game.

Now, however, I am seeing/hearing various different sources claiming that there's "only 1 unkillable NPC", but no actual source is given.

So which is it? Is it none, or one? Or perhaps even more?

Here's one source claiming the "only 1 unkillable NPC" - at 09:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Q7V-kDGeY

Here's another one:
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/481404474

Both are fairly recent, and most of the articles I can find (and have already read months ago) stating that anyone can be killed are fairly old. So maybe new information has quietly been shared with the press?

Edited by Thaudal

7 hours ago, Clawdius_Talonious said:

The "NPC" that you can't kill, AFAIK, is the AI pilot of your ship.

That would make a lot of sense if that's the case. When you say AFAIK, do you have any sources on it, or is it just an assumption?
Not that there's anything wrong with that, just trying to get a clearer picture of what's actually been said.

1 hour ago, UrbaNebula said:

Same logic as Fallout New Vegas, even though I dislike making that comparison. Yes Man was the only essential NPC. The game needs at least the one NPC in order to drive the ever dwindling narrative.

I mean, I guess I kind of get that, but what gets me is that they have been telling every media outlet for months now that you can kill everyone, and now suddenly it sounds like that has changed to "at least one" - but I can't find any sources on it. So just trying to distinguish between what's rumor and what Obsidian and/or Private Division has actually said. So far, I can only find actual sources and quotes from a couple of months ago or more, stating that every NPC can be killed, but would like to know if there's anything to this newer, different version that some are reporting. Like, did someone from Obsidian or PD actually say this? Or did a journalist with a preview demo actually encounter such an NPC?

2 hours ago, Thaudal said:

I mean, I guess I kind of get that, but what gets me is that they have been telling every media outlet for months now that you can kill everyone, and now suddenly it sounds like that has changed to "at least one" - but I can't find any sources on it. So just trying to distinguish between what's rumor and what Obsidian and/or Private Division has actually said. So far, I can only find actual sources and quotes from a couple of months ago or more, stating that every NPC can be killed, but would like to know if there's anything to this newer, different version that some are reporting. Like, did someone from Obsidian or PD actually say this? Or did a journalist with a preview demo actually encounter such an NPC?

Megan Starks said it back in August at Gamescom:

2:20

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Infinitron said:

Megan Starks said it back in August at Gamescom:

2:20

Somehow I completely missed that one - thanks a lot for sharing!

Hmm, that sounds a bit weird that the character "snuck through" or was overlooked, and that you can't kill her because they're past VO deadlines. I wonder if she will just have unlimited hitpoints, or how it will be handled...