Jump to content

Recommended Posts

You just watch the tooltip of your equipped weapon during fights (or out of fights, but without stealth - because stealth grants a -85% recovery/reloading bonus and then it's all very short).

All modifiers are listed there - and the exact reloading time/recovery time.

reload_time.png?dl=1

 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arquebus has a base dps of 3.0667

Arbalest has a base dps of 3.1343

So the Arbalest does more dps. Same range, some PEN, both Blunted Criticals and -10 defl. in melee.

Arquebus has the added disadvantage of -5 ACC. The question would be why should I choose arquebus over arbalest. 

This is not so easy to answer. Both weapons are slow which makes them not the best choice for auto-attacking all the time. Instead you want to use them with an ability so they have a big impact per shot. This favors higher base damage (arquebus). Also not missing those precious abilities is important (in order not to waste resources). Arquebus has the better modal in that regard (further reducing its dps though). Arbalst modal can be very good if you are only using an occasional shot here and there to interrupt casters.  Both have reload and that can be canceled at any time - so both can be great for spellcasters.

And then it comes down to the uniques. A character who maxes their Arcana should def. use Spearcaster. A Bleak Walker/Wizard with Eternal Devotion (adds 10% burning lash to spells) wants to use Blightheart (+10% corrosive lash to spells) id he likes to use nukes. A Bleak Walker/Assassin wants to use Dragon's Dowry because it's the weapon with the highest dmg per hit potential - and so on.

And then there's the Red Hand which kind of doubles its dps by skipping one reload (and has the absolutely awesome "Double Tap"). In many cases that's the best pick right away.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In case of Maia you want the arquebus.

First of all she gets +20% Range with the arquebus (14.4 instead of 12 for "normal" arquebuses and 9.6 instead of 8 for the Red Hand). Then 80% chance to interrupt a target with an arquebus per hit - this is huge. She will not only do great dmaage but constantly interrupt foes - especially with the Red Hand which is the perfect weapon for her. She gains nothing from using an arbalest (besides the -20% reload time from her Garb - but the arquebus gets that as well). Since the differences between both weapon types are already small the arquebus clearly wins in this case.

 

 

 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Boeroer said:

And then there's the Red Hand which kind of doubles its dps by skipping one reload (and has the absolutely awesome "Double Tap"). In many cases that's the best pick right away.

This... this is what matters 😂

Real question should be “why not use redhand forever” with double tap it can even kill targets immune to pierce, and you get it for free very early in the game , oh and then there is “no rest for the wicked” and its upgrade which makes red hand the mega boss of all ranged weaponary 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double Tap only affects vessels though.

"Very" early is an exaggeration, but early enough.

It is a strong single target ranged weapon and the best arquebus in terms of auto-dps. But there might be builds and situations where you would be better off with let's say Dragon's Dowry. Most classes only have so much resources and somtimes you get more bang for your buck with Dragon's Dowry than with the Red Hand. Also when you shoot from stealth the double shoot is no advantage since stealth gives you a 85% reload bonus. That means your second shot from Dragon's Dowry comes nearly as fast as the second shot from Red Hand - so if you are an Assassin-Sniper (see Glimmer Man build) the Red Hand is not your best pick. 

Then there's war bows like St. Omaku's Mercy or Veilpiercer which can out-dps the Red Hand with the correct enchantments and build. Even Essence Interrupter and Amiina's Legacy can do that due to their lashes - which the Red Hand doesn't have. But special attacks will have less impact because of the lower base damage. 

The Red Hand is a good mix of high auto-dps and great impact with abilities. That's what makes it very appealing in my opinion. And of course that it's a death sentence for most vessels.

What makes reloading weapons especially appealing to me is the better reactivity due to the cancelable reload process. 

The mega bosses of all ranged weaponary are Hand Mortar/Fire in the Hole and Watershaper's Focus - if we talk about dps potential, usefulness outside of pure dps and what they can do in the right hands and with the right tactics. Kalakoth's Minor Blights, too. Minor Blights for example is the only AoE ranged weapon that will apply Assassinate to all AoE targets - because it's the only AoE ranged weapon which hits its initial target and all AoE targets at the same time (other than mortars and rods which have a short delay).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Single target damage > AoE damage when it matters 

But yeh u can use some decent warbow with red hands damage buff to do more single targetdamage but still need charged red hand on your character for the best effect 

i personally dont value low range low single target damage but attacks aoe ranged weapons they arent practical because you will end up attacking wrong targets just to do AoE.  What matters is sniping those priests and wizarfs before they cast anything and red hand excells at that and in late game some warbows with red hands buff too 

im sure there are plenty of ways to put aoe ranged weapons to good use if you really want to.

 

Edited by 3x0du5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maia, Maia, Maia... what would I do without her?   She is prominent in my team, her exclusive use of legendary and enhanced Dragons Dowry; either double shot, heart seeker or tranc brain shot... whatever fits the situation...   Shooter's hat, accuracy ring, etc... She is my over-watch enforcer and has saved the team's bacon many times...  She is deadly, precision and has almost the most kills (my pure rouge has that dubious honor)  Maia's backup is dual legendary sabers, each enhanced and of course she is dual-wield enhanced... Anybody who wants to close and get personal with her quickly regrets it.  I have yet to further explore some of the legendary bows... but not with Maia, but with an elf based (TBD) player...

I really like POEII Deadfire and the flexibility, the ability to create specialist tacticians in all disciplines, some multi; magic, tank, etc... and even diplomacy, just mix and match for the situation, match with added tactics... (that's another story altogether).  Change it up every time.

Off subject;

Having a spate of "Missing DLC" errors on some of my saved games, rendering them completely useless...  This in a late model high memory "Clean" iMac" without any mods...etc.,  No one seems to know anything about this.... supposedly happens with the PC users a lot...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...