[4.1.2] Suppress Affliction not actually clearing afflictions

thelee

Question

There was another post about Suppress Affliction not properly clearing charmed, but they thought it was limited to just that and in turn-based mode.

I think it's a more general problem then that. For whatever reason, Suppress Affliction suppresses the listed debuffs, but does not actually suppress the actual effects, at least when it comes to afflictions. See screenshot:

post-58316-0-80624400-1551509222_thumb.jpg

Eder clearly has the paralyzed effect suppressed, but is still paralyzed and immobile (there is a paralyzed icon in the tooltip above him and he is immobile/unable to act). This is in RTwP, not turn-based.

Dropbox link to save and output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v46ydva9ilqtwr7/AAAtTOjPK46dYHdHrpFdI_dka?dl=0

(man, how do previously-working things keep getting broken...)

edit: it was also mentioned in that charmed thread that paralyze was also broken in follow-up comments, so this is just another post to reinforce the idea that Suppress Affliction is pretty much broken right now, as well as providing save/output_log/screenshot data.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 5

10 answers to this question

I'm also curious how this can happen all the time. It was a problem with PoE but I thought they would do it better in the sequel.

Usually this is a sign of very entangled (non-decoupled) code...?

Doesn't Unity use the usual component-driven approach? I'm only messing around with the Godot Game Engine from time to time (its approach is awesome) - and there it's pretty hard to produce spaghettis. Don't know how Unity performs in that regard. Only did some tutorials with it and found it meh.

But I understand that it's very difficult to produce robust code all the time if you have no time / a deadline and the project is very complex.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just posting again because I tried to see if Suppress Affliction would work on Frightened, nope, still can't use hostile abilities.

post-58316-0-99621500-1551846736_thumb.jpg

edit - just have to re-register how friggin annoying it is to have known-working abilities suddenly break after some unrelated patch. i had no other way to dispel it, having relied on this ability actually working, so just wiped because i couldn't use any of my abilities.

Edited by thelee

edit - just have to re-register how friggin annoying it is to have known-working abilities suddenly break after some unrelated patch. i had no other way to dispel it, having relied on this ability actually working, so just wiped because i couldn't use any of my abilities.

I blame Turn Based Mode. It most likely lead to a ton of code changes which then broke some stuff that we thought was stable. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You tried to cast some Resolve Inspiration on Frightened character? This should help, at least until Obsidian fix it. IF they will fix it.

i didn't have resolve inspirations because this specific party was leaning on suppress affliction early game. that was based on the assumption that suppress affliction actually worked. but yeah, now i need to adjust and respec my priest to pick up some inspirations again. (extra annoying because i'm using wael's this time around so i have no idea how much money i have, so respeccing is always a little bit of a minor anxiety)

Edited by thelee

this is what i hate the most about obsidian game. so many bugs and recurring ones. i had stopped for awhile previously due to the walking speed bug. and now this? we are also not aware of how many broken ones more. this is truly saddening.

this is what i hate the most about computer games: so many bugs and recurring ones.

fixed

games such as bg2 and the fallouts(interplay and Bethesda) never had all the public complained 'bout bugs addressed. skyrim and the like has been worse, and not better, insofar as bugs, particular long-term bugs, is concerned.

is not an obsidian issue, for the most part.  obsidian does have a tradition o' releasing a somewhat undercooked offering at release. is often baffling too as serious bugs which did not exist in the betas often show in the initial release o' obsidian games.  the thing is, even before poe balance patches ended, poe got to a point o' relative high stability.  sure, is one or two folks who railed from the lunatic fringe 'bout a couple persistent bugs, typical after playing game to death and posting literal hundreds o' times in the build portion o' the board, but for most folks, poe were stable compared to vast catalog o' anything remote similar in pc computer gaming.

turn-based.

if deadfire, from start of development had included turn-based, we woulda' applauded.

whatever.  point is, current bugginess is not business-as-usual from obsidian.  add tb at end o' game's post release development, appears to have resulted in the instability we are seeing.  and if the weird new explosion o' bugs which has kept us from playing deadfire since start o' january is unrelated to tb implementation, then am complete nonplussed as our fundamental notions o' cause and effect would be severe undercut. 

regardless, am hopeful the suppress affliction and the aoe weapons effects bugs is addressed some time before we turn fifty. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

games such as bg2 and the fallouts(interplay and Bethesda) never had all the public complained 'bout bugs addressed. skyrim and the like has been worse, and not better, insofar as bugs, particular long-term bugs, is concerned.

FYI - do people remember baldurdash? there were tons of fan-made bug fixes for BG and BG2. (there was also a fan-made patch for Fallout 2, which is extra hard considering that I think that required actually hex/binary editing of .dlls since it wasn't as open to modding as the infinity engine.) games are definitely more complex these days and likely more prone to bugs, but it's not like the 90s-early2000s were some gloriously bug-free zone of gaming.

I just really hope that Obsidian has a few more patch fix cycles after TB-mode gets out of beta, because these regressions are frustrating.