You should test whether Cadhu Scalth reduction works on self-damages. Self-damages sometimes have strange bypassing properties (such as not cancelling Dance of the Death : https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100644-scepter-modal-dance-of-death/ )

Hrm, it doesn't seem to actually -- restoring a level 4 slot with blood price cost 40 health even with Cadhu equipped. Bug Report time. What about the voidward ring? That work?

edit: hrm, further testing, not conclusive either way

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

I just made a Debonaire/Beguiler (new focus generation fix with Deception spells).

I use Essence Interrupter. With Debonaire I can get 100% crit on a charmed target, making it a summon on death.

Phantom Foes from stealth fills my focus to 100% right away (even at lvl with 235 max focus). My Ringleader also costs near nothing when I cast it on the flanked enemies. Then I tickle each charmed enemy with Essence Interrupter and then kill everything with Shreds. If I need more focus I will just cast another Phantom Foes. It hits so many enemies (huuuge AoE) that it always fills me up to max.

Debonaire's crit conversion is also super good if you have a fellow cipher and you are a Debonaire/Wizard. Just nuke the charmed enemies with a Fireball or so an watch 100% crits. Whoohooo!

Beguiler is the natural friend of the Tactician now. You can just spam Phantom Foes all day long until everybody and their butts are flanked.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes. Draining Whip now gives you +100% focus gain with Deception spells on afflicted enemies. Casting from stealth counts as if everyone you hit was afflicted. So cast one big AoE Deception spell from stealth (like Phantom Foes) and every enemy is afflicted for a looong time and also your focus is at max. You can then use whatever you want and lose focus - if you need more just repeat Phantom Foes and you're back at max. Pretty hilarious. Single class Beguiler as well.

I wouldn't pick Biting Whip with a Beguiler at all.

In my opinion now better than Ascended.

Will now start a new playthrough with a Tactician/Beguiler (or single class Beguiler), a Debonaire/Wizard and a Steel Garrotte/Arcane Archer. Still thinking about the rest. Furyshaper/Ancient maybe? Maybe Tactician/Bloodmage + SC Beguiler. Forbidden Fist I tried as MC in my run before and had to scrap it. It's just too bad. Really bad.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes. Draining Whip now gives you +100% focus gain with Deception spells on afflicted enemies. Casting from stealth counts as if everyone you hit was afflicted. So cast one big AoE Deception spell from stealth (like Phantom Foes) and every enemy is afflicted for a looong time and also your focus is at max. You can then use whatever you want and lose focus - if you need more just repeat Phantom Foes and you're back at max. Pretty hilarious. Single class Beguiler as well.

I wouldn't pick Biting Whip with a Beguiler at all.

In my opinion now better than Ascended.

Will now start a new playthrough with a Tactician/Beguiler (or single class Beguiler), a Debonaire/Wizard and a Steel Garrotte/Arcane Archer. Still thinking about the rest. Furyshaper/Ancient maybe? Maybe Tactician/Bloodmage + SC Beguiler. Forbidden Fist I tried as MC in my run before and had to scrap it. It's just too bad. Really bad.

Messed around with an Ancient as my merc in the prologue and they are quite nice. Sporelings are sweet on turn based mode since you can really position them well to achieve flanked status and they're meat shields as well that the AI actually will target sometimes.

Furyshaper is interesting on turnbased since I think their totem gives initiative but not improved casting speed? I could be wrong on that, I'd have to take another look. That might make them less good than they are on RTWP though initiative can still be nice.