XBOX VS. PC

Which one has the best KotOR I version?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which one has the best KotOR I version?

• XBOX
    • PC
    • Both rocked
    • Don't care

Although the PC version has the advantage of slightly better graphics

Perhaps that's a bit of an understatement. With my AMD Athlon 64 w/ ATI Radeon 9800 XT, I was able to crank up screen resolution, shadow effects, grass effects, Texture packs, anti-aliasing, anisotrophy, frame buffers effects and soft shadows all to the max and it not only left the Xbox version standing still aesthetically, but probably ran smoother too! ^_^

manthing2.jpg

My GeForce fx5900 Ultra w. 256 mb ram did leave the xbox version very dull looking. But then, not everybody wants to spend like 500 us$ on gfx cards alone. I never checked the sound on an xbox, does it have 6.1 or 5.1 surround sound ?

It does look good in very high resolutions and all effects ;)

Even the Selkath (may their planet turn to desert) looked appropriately "wet" and fishy when exposed to a lightsource.

So no reason for me to consider investing in other hardware, that I wouldn't really use anyway (it would just gather dust...).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My GeForce fx5900 Ultra w. 256 mb ram did leave the xbox version very dull looking. But then, not everybody wants to spend like 500 us$ on gfx cards alone. I never checked the sound on an xbox, does it have 6.1 or 5.1 surround sound ?

It does look good in very high resolutions and all effects :o

Even the Selkath (may their planet turn to desert) looked appropriately "wet" and fishy when exposed to a lightsource.

So no reason for me to consider investing in other hardware, that I wouldn't really use anyway (it would just gather dust...).

Playing KotOR on the xbox with Dolby Digital 5.1 and a widescreen tv is a quite comfortable option ;) Even though i can play it on the PC with Dolby Digital 5.1 too (nForce boards have that option), but still the graphics seems a bit more 'ugly' with my Radeon 9800. Must be a driver issue or something, or the f-buffer option isn't working properly.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Both, as I'll have a new PC by that time that won't cry everytime I think about playing the game. Right now all it lets me do, sometimes, is access the dialogue.tlk files. *sigh*

But I do like the X-Box version for kicking back and playing in my recliner.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

But please improve the PC interface.

SECONDED!

keep in mind guys- we HAVE a keyboard

You know, with a little mickey mousing you can make the XBox into a virtual PC. Without hardly any modding you can add a keyboard and mouse. The only way I'd ever consider getting a console is if I can use a keyboard and mouse on it. ^_^

You can easily turn the Dreamcast into a virtual PC for the express purpose of running emulators on your TV. Been there, done that.

You can also buy a Linux kit for your Playstation that turns the console into a virtual computer.

You can easily turn the Dreamcast into a virtual PC for the express purpose of running emulators on your TV. Been there, done that.

You can also buy a Linux kit for your Playstation that turns the console into a virtual computer.

Kick ass, I had no idea the other consoles were so easily moddable.

I've heard you can add a keyboard and mouse to an out of the box Billy Gates Box, will someone prove or disprove this?

I haven't seen it personally. It wouldn't suprise me too much.

Heck, the X-Box comes standard with a HDD which helps. Also, is it just me or did Microsoft start skimping on the HDD when the dropped the price on the console. I could have sworn the console had a 10 gig HDD originally, and new consoles are shipping with an 8 gig HDD.

I may thrown down the money and buy the HDD for my Playstation if I can save to it directly in games, and copy music to it like the X-Box.

Edit - here's the link to the Linux kit for the PS2

The X-box is a toilet with gamepads. PC and GC all the way.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I haven't played the X-Box version and really have no need to as I have the PC version. I have no interest in getting an X-Box as the only X-Box games that interest me that aren't available on PC or PS2 are Jade Empire and Fable, but theres talk that Jade Empire will make a PC appearance.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Look. I'm really anti-Microsoft.

But, it's hard to hate the X-Box. It has a nicer DVD player than the PS2. It has nicer graphics than the PS2. It ships out of the box with network support, a HDD, and support for four controllers. Graphics are better on the X-Box. It's not huge, but play the same game on the two platforms and you'll notice the difference. (Madden, Baldur's Gate: DA, whatever)

And GameCube? No DVD support. No online play. No HDD. Poor game selection, and more expensive games. Most of the games available on the GC are games that were originally on the X-Box or PS2, and are more expensive on the GC.

I own all three consoles because I want to play any game I want with no restriction, but the X-Box is lightyears ahead of the GC. I sit down with my X-Box system linked to other X-Boxes, and play 16 player games of Halo, yelling across the house at the other players.

It doesn't cost me an extra penny. GC multiplayer games these days require you to also own multiple GameBoy Advance SPs.

I still love my PS2 because of the INCREDIBLE game selection.

Trust me on this issue. Let go of your anger and hatred towards other gaming consoles. It leads to flames. Flames lead to worn-out keyboards. Broken keyboards lead to computer-deprivation, which leads to Kevin Bacon, which leads to the Dark Side.

I have no interest in getting an X-Box as the only X-Box games that interest me that aren't available on PC or PS2 are Jade Empire and Fable

You might want to consider adding "X-Men: Legends" to that list.

No one has heard of it, or played it, but Kung Fu Kaos (available for $10-20) is quite possibly the funniest, and most addictive video game I've ever played.

And it's X-Box only.

Look. I'm really anti-Microsoft.

But, it's hard to hate the X-Box. It has a nicer DVD player than the PS2. It has nicer graphics than the PS2. It ships out of the box with network support, a HDD, and support for four controllers. Graphics are better on the X-Box. It's not huge, but play the same game on the two platforms and you'll notice the difference. (Madden, Baldur's Gate: DA, whatever)

That is called a Small Form Factor COM-PUT-ER. Which the Billy Gates Box is, albeit a proprietary one, that doesn't patch, and has it's balls cut off.

The simple truth to the founding of the Xbox is,

1. Bill Gates saw that the PC industry was rapidly moving away from Microsoft.

2. He decided to make something that was a computer, but appealed to console gamers, but would also work with his much of his preexisting resources.

3. The Xbox is born.

Sadly, as soon as I'm out of my parents house (they have a no console rule), I will probably buy one, along with a Game Cube and PS2. Damn my Gaming addiction. <_<

The system architecture of the X-Box is considerably different than a PC. It provides great processing and graphics capability for $150. The fact that PC games easily port to the X-Box is a good thing. DirectX is good, solid technology. Does anyone remember the days of 3dFX vs D3D? It was almost like VHS and BETA. I couldn't play one game because of my video card, but I could play another. Standards in technology make it easier for everyone to experience the same product. I think Bill Gates has no respect for the law, and I hate Windows. But, Microsoft produces a few solid products. The X-Box is one of them.

PCs can't produce the gaming power of an X-Box for $150.

Console games don't require patches, because when programming for a console you know EXACTLY what hardware you're dealing with. PC titles must support a variety of technologies. PC games are usually buggy out of the gate.

I love my PC. I upgrade it whenever I can. I spend far too much time on the PC, and not enough time with my girlfriend to be honest.

But the X-Box is not a PC. You can play a game on the X-Box, or a PC. An X-Box is cheaper. Just the same way you can toast a piece of bread in a $10 toaster, or a $100 toaster oven. The toaster oven is more versatile, but the $10 toaster is cheaper and more specialized.

The Phantom console by Infium labs, is a PC. It has a mouse, keyboard, ATI graphics card, and it's a PC. It doesn't take cartridges or discs. It only downloads software from the internet. That my friends, is a PC with it's balls cut off.

Amen to that.

And despite my staunch defense of the X-Box, I do usually prefer to play a title on the PC if available. I will likely buy KOTOR:TSL on the PC unless some sweet promotion, or cheap price lures me to the X-Box version.

The system architecture of the X-Box is considerably different than a PC. It provides great processing and graphics capability for $150. The fact that PC games easily port to the X-Box is a good thing. DirectX is good, solid technology. Does anyone remember the days of 3dFX vs D3D? It was almost like VHS and BETA. I couldn't play one game because of my video card, but I could play another. Standards in technology make it easier for everyone to experience the same product. I think Bill Gates has no respect for the law, and I hate Windows. But, Microsoft produces a few solid products. The X-Box is one of them.

PCs can't produce the gaming power of an X-Box for $150.

Console games don't require patches, because when programming for a console you know EXACTLY what hardware you're dealing with. PC titles must support a variety of technologies. PC games are usually buggy out of the gate.

I love my PC. I upgrade it whenever I can. I spend far too much time on the PC, and not enough time with my girlfriend to be honest.

But the X-Box is not a PC. You can play a game on the X-Box, or a PC. An X-Box is cheaper. Just the same way you can toast a piece of bread in a $10 toaster, or a $100 toaster oven. The toaster oven is more versatile, but the $10 toaster is cheaper and more specialized.

The Phantom console by Infium labs, is a PC. It has a mouse, keyboard, ATI graphics card, and it's a PC. It doesn't take cartridges or discs. It only downloads software from the internet. That my friends, is a PC with it's balls cut off.

You do know the only reason for the low price, is because they eat the price of the hardware by jacking up the price of the software. ;)

Really though, it is a PC. Have you ever heard the review from the head designer of it? It was on Maddox's website for awhile. "Well, I was on a jetliner, playing around with my new laptop my g/f had gotten me, and I thought, what if, we could make a console with the computing power of a PC, but as small as a gaming console?"

Um, that's called a small form factor system, or a notebook you douchebag. :lol:

Amen to that.

And despite my staunch defense of the X-Box, I do usually prefer to play a title on the PC if available. I will likely buy KOTOR:TSL on the PC unless some sweet promotion, or cheap price lures me to the X-Box version.

Yeah, I prefer playing most games on the PC too. It really depends on what genre it is. Like FPS'ers I'll play on the PC anyday, where as a game like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, I'll get it on Xbox because it's just a console game at heart.

Look.  I'm really anti-Microsoft.

But, it's hard to hate the X-Box.  It has a nicer DVD player than the PS2.  It has nicer graphics than the PS2.  It ships out of the box with network support, a HDD, and support for four controllers.  Graphics are better on the X-Box.  It's not huge, but play the same game on the two platforms and you'll notice the difference.  (Madden, Baldur's Gate: DA, whatever)

And GameCube?  No DVD support.  No online play.  No HDD.  Poor game selection, and more expensive games.  Most of the games available on the GC are games that were originally on the X-Box or PS2, and are more expensive on the GC.

I own all three consoles because I want to play any game I want with no restriction, but the X-Box is lightyears ahead of the GC.  I sit down with my X-Box system linked to other X-Boxes, and play 16 player games of Halo, yelling across the house at the other players.

It doesn't cost me an extra penny.  GC multiplayer games these days require you to also own multiple GameBoy Advance SPs.

I still love my PS2 because of the INCREDIBLE game selection.

Trust me on this issue.  Let go of your anger and hatred towards other gaming consoles.  It leads to flames.  Flames lead to worn-out keyboards.  Broken keyboards lead to computer-deprivation, which leads to Kevin Bacon, which leads to the Dark Side.

Look its not hard to make a good console. Its hard to make a good cheap console. The fact is that XBOX to be light years better then the tried and true console makers made it way too expensive.

The PC is nice and all, but I do prefer the XBOX (console) when playing most if not all video games. I don't have to worry about a virus, stupid keyboards and a mouse, or patches because of bad programming. I like to sit on my 'easy' chair, relax and play my game on a BIG screen (or kinda big) with some sweet surround sound. Plus, the XBOX is $150 compared to a ridiculously expensive PC, that I will have to upgrade just to get a quality game experience. WAH WAH WAAAAAH.