[3.0] Missing elemental keywords in abilities

AndreaColombo

Question

Here's a list of spells and abilities that are seemingly missing elemental keywords as of 3.0.

Note that this list was drawn up looking at keywords that show up in the spell's or ability's description.

Chanter

Thrice Was She Wronged: missing the Electricity keyword

Her Revenge Swept Across: missing the Electricity keyword

Seven Nights She Waited: missing the Frost keyword

...And Evil Turned Away: missing the Fire keyword

Her Tears Fell Like Rain: missing the Frost keyword

The Dragon Thrashed, The Dragon Wailed: missing the Fire keyword

Cipher

Antipathetic Field: missing the Acid keyword

Soul Ignition: missing the Fire keyword

Priest

Iconic Projection: missing the Frost keyword

Wizard

Minoletta's Minor Missiles: missing the Acid keyword

Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp: missing the Frost keyword

Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon: missing the Acid keyword

Concelhaut's Draining Touch: missing the Decay keyword

Death Ring: missing the Decay keyword

Kalakoth's Freezing Rake: missing the Frost keyword

Minoletta's Missile Salvo: missing the Acid keyword

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

10 answers to this question

Hello Andrea!

Wow, that is quite the list and great research!  I have taken what you have here and put it in a bug report for the Systems Design team to investigate.  If you discover any other abilities with the same situation, please continue to post them here as I have linked this thread in the report to be used as a reference.

Thank you so much Andrea!

• Like 1

I'm told the Rogue's ability Toxic Strike is missing the elemental keyword. Could be either Acid or Poison, depending on which one is deemed the most appropriate.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's toxic, sooo... :p

Decay seems to be a druid-exclusive keyword like Rejuvenation and such. I wouldn't use it in other classes' abilities.

Poison is used for Wizard's abilities as well as for poison consumables. So I guess it's nothing exclusive to wizards (just like the elemental keywords that you can find in several classes) and thus might be used in other classes' abilities as well.

For example: why does Venombloom (Druid) have the Plant keyword (correct) but not Poison? It even mentiones poison in its description. Of course Venom is not equal to poison... but come on! ;)

Cobra Strike also has no Poison keyword although it's clearly applying poison. Don't know if the DoT gets affected by Poison Power Levels though.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Doesn’t Cobra Strike deal raw damage, though? I’m going by memory but, if it does, keywording it wouldn’t make a difference talent-wise (it could PL-wise though, of course.)

Yes. Since there is no +PEN talent for Poison this is only about Power Levels. For example it's kind of weird that the Mask of the Grotto Deep gives you +1 Poison PL and a cool Aoe Poison ability but does not have any impact on Cobra Strike. Or Toxic Strike. Or such things.

Same with Spider Silk Robes (poison ability and +2 Posion PL).

• Like 1

I'll be honest and say that I don't completely agree with this "bug."

I think it's a completely reasonable thing to design an ability and decide "...nah, this shouldn't benefit from Spirit of Decay" even though it does corrode damage.

Coming from the world of IWD, IWD2, or PoE1 where these talents boosted a specific damage type universally, it is certainly unintuitive by comparison, but in terms of general systems design I don't think it's unreasonable.

If that’s what the design team decide, I can get behind it. My concern is that these keywords may merely have been forgotten (some abilities already benefit from the talents but don’t list the keyword in the tooltip, for example; that’s clearly an oversight.). I figured I’d bring this up just in case.

• Like 2

And that's totally fine. I'm pretty sure some of those just got forgotten. For example I can't believe that chanter stuff like Seven Nights should be keyworded with freeze. Even if it already profits from Secrets of Rime is should also make this clear with the proper keyword. Else every new player has to test and find out by himself (or search in forums). That can't be the proper way.

Oh, I've noticed this has already been discussed a month ago... And devs didn't change anything related. :( Very sad, because there are several potentially useful equipment in the game you all already mentioned, but it's actually now. Those Keyword/Description mismatch makes players confused indeed.

Oh, I've noticed this has already been discussed a month ago... And devs didn't change anything related. :( Very sad, because there are several potentially useful equipment in the game you all already mentioned, but it's actually now. Those Keyword/Description mismatch makes players confused indeed.

Until they get around to adjusting these you could just use this mod. I'd also recommend adding in this mod and this one. I consider them together as an unofficial patch myself.

• Like 1

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies