Best multiclass and best way to build a soulblade?

I'm pretty sure that Rogue/Soulblade does better dps with Whispers. Also Persistent Distraction seems to work on reach (Whispers has higher reach than normal great swords). If you can stack some engagement slots (for example with armor) you will trigger Sneak/Deathblows on several enemies in the cone without applying afflictons actively. And of course Arterial Strike + Cone is pretty cool since those enemies you don't engage directly tend to run around.

But I like Monk/Soulblade better because Duality(INT) gives you a much bigger cone and Swift Flurry leads to some nice multicrits every now and then. Turning Wheel also adds focus.

Also Force of Anguish and Flagellant's Path are hilarious with WotEP. Pick Rakhan Field Boots as well and you can deliver awesome AoE*AoE Full Attacks to a cramped group or a line of enemies.

I also like that the INT (and MIG if you pick Helwalker) also boost your spells' power (like Amplified Wave).

If you take Draining Whip for a Soulblade you don't need to switch too often: you will be able to deliver good Soul Annihilation dmg with every second attack as long as you can manage to hit several foes with one strike. I generally favor Draining Whip over that sonewhat small additive dmg mod of Biting Whip.

Black Jacket could be fun as well. As one tends to graze and miss with Soul Annihilation early in the game (and that's so annoying) you could use some a single habded rapier + modal in some situations where WotEP makes no sense (bosses, hard to hit enemies) and profit from +37 ACC to make sure your Soul Annihilation connects.

I still prefer Monk though. :) Rogue is also great.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It is. In fact all weapon abilities appear to be (such as Engoliero Ghost Blades).

But why do you want WotEP for SA in the first place? IMO SA works much better as a single-target elimination tool.

Sure, you can multi-hit with WotEP, but only the primary target will be hit with high SA damage. The rest will get hit with basic damage, with only as much Focus, as the (non-SA) attack part on the previous target generates.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 2

Yes, but the SA damage is low, except on the primary target (because you've spent all focus on the initial target and have charged back very little). Not worth giving up single target damage IMO, maybe unless you're always in a flanking position - or occasionally switch to WotEP.

Yes, but the SA damage is low, except on the primary target (because you've spent all focus on the initial target and have charged back very little). Not worth giving up single target damage IMO, maybe unless you're always in a flanking position - or occasionally switch to WotEP.

The damage is lower than on the main target but certainly higher than what other classes can do. Also since you can apply afflictions in an AoE (using rogue abilities or cipher spells) the raw damage is further increased by sneak attack/deathblows.

Yeah but if they trigger on main attack, the AoE will be applied twice, no?

yeah, i just say there's no special synergy between WotEP and swift flury/heartbeat druming. But for that Pollaxe that hit 3 target, all 3 attacks can trigger extra hits i think.

Edited by dunehunter

Yeah but if they trigger on main attack, the AoE will be applied twice, no?

yeah, i just say there's no special synergy between WotEP and swift flury/heartbeat druming. But for that Pollaxe that hit 3 target, all 3 attacks can trigger extra hits i think.

So the pole axe will apply soul annihilation to 3 people?

The damage is lower than on the main target but certainly higher than what other classes can do. Also since you can apply afflictions in an AoE (using rogue abilities or cipher spells) the raw damage is further increased by sneak attack/deathblows.

It is not higher then (sneak attack boosted) Amra aoe damage, Eager Blade aoe damage or Engoliero Ghost Blade damage. While those alternatives have the benefit of killing the primary target much faster and less worry about optimal positioning. Of course you can't trigger those effects on every hit, but with a Rogue you probably shouldn't spam SA on every hit either, as that would be a damage loss.

Edited by Haplok

It is not higher then (sneak attack boosted) Amra aoe damage, Eager Blade aoe damage or Engoliero Ghost Blade damage. While those alternatives have the benefit of killing the primary target much faster and less worry about optimal positioning. Of course you can't trigger those effects on every hit, but with a Rogue you probably shouldn't spam SA on every hit either, as that would be a damage loss.

Sorry, but those weapons don't come even close to the AoE damage of the WotEP. And yes, a cipher/rogue will be able to spam SA every hit against multiple enemies.

Sorry, but those weapons don't come even close to the AoE damage of the WotEP. And yes, a cipher/rogue will be able to spam SA every hit against multiple enemies.

My experience is different. And if you spam SA every hit, you're actually lowering your damage output by not taking advantage of Crippling/Devastating Strike. SA damage at 10-30 Focus is entirely unimpressive.

Edited by Haplok

Citzal's Spirit Lance + Soul Annihilation is pretty great. But that combo comes rather late (hey, that rhymes...).

You can get the WotEP very early and over the course of a whole game I think it's better (in terms of dps) to use a Rogue/Soulblade with WotEP instead of taking a Monk/Wizard with the WotEP and wait for Spirit Lance. 

Wahai Poraga is unimpressive since the lastest nerfs to it in my opinion. The base damage is also low but it only hits up to 3 additional targets - and those can be party members because it has friendly fire.

For a Rogue/Soulblade I would always use WotEP with high INT. Best to get smart somehow as well. In a full party I'd even consider wearing Aloth's Armor + two rings of Overseeing. This not only extends the cone but also most spells' AoE. Catching two more foes can mean a lot more dps. Cast Phantom Foes or Secret Horrors at the start of battle and then tickle groups of enemies with Arterial/SA/Arterial/SA and so on. Focus generation is awesome and the "min" raw damage of SA to the AoE targets is still impressive because it gets boosted by Sneak Attack and Deathblows. Usually it's above 30 extra raw damage. That is pretty great dps compared to a single target weapon. I even used Assassin + Backstab with the WotEP because "Run Through" has high base damage and is a great opener for high single target burst and high focus gain right at the start of the battle.  

Edited by Boeroer

My experience is different. And if you spam SA every hit, you're actually lowering your damage output by not taking advantage of Crippling/Devastating Strike. SA damage at 10-30 Focus is entirely unimpressive.

If when you hit multiple targets for 30-40 damage you get only 10-30focus then your entire game should be different...

Hm, provided that you can bunch the enemies together. I find that in most encounters I can't. I mean sure, some will surround the first charger with lots of engagement (like Eder), but I tend to first focus on rogue chargers (who ignore engagement with Escape and threaten my back row), casters and ranged. Only then I worry about finishing the group that surrounds the tank - and they are usually easy pickings.

If when you hit multiple targets for 30-40 damage you get only 10-30focus then your entire game should be different...

Only it doesn't work like that. Unless you're NOT using SA, then it's right, you can accumulate a lot of Focus from hitting several targets. When you do use SA with an aoe weapon, like WotEP, Focus gets generated and spent as you hit each target. So after you finish the attack, you only have Focus from the base attack on the last target. And that's usually not an impressive figure with WotEP low base damage.

Edited by Haplok

Well - just because you use your Soulblade differently does say nothing about the general usefulness of WotEP as dps tool, does it? I read several of those "I don't like to use x in this or that way, hence x is not good" statements from you lately. That's fair enough and may fit in your case - but you shouldn't use you special playstyle/case as a base for general judgement.

That's like discussing javelin and pole as sport utilities: complaining that you (as a pole vaulter) can't jump with the javelin and thus it's a inferior tool compared to the pole. :) 

Edit: As I said above, even low focus driven SAs do plenty of raw damage when boosted by Sneak Attack/Deathblows. But I would also alternate between rogue strikes and SA, not spam SA. But that's not different from the usage of SA with anohter weapon. The bonus of WotEP is that iut adds additional raw damage in an AoE, it has reach, Blade Form (increased speed compared to other two handers) and a lash. That makes it a great pick for a Rogue/Soulblade as long as you don't fight a single target.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Fair enough, perhaps I've been too aggressive in confronting my opinions with other's visions/concepts/fun. Apologies.

Though in the last post I mainly wanted to clarify that you can't quite pump focus and use SA at the same time (that's how I understood what Kaylon wrote). It works if you alternate, like you wrote.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 2