Hey guys, 

So, I wanted to make a Holy Slayer as a tanky character for PotD/BoW, and I'm a little nervous about whether or not I'll be able to still maintain decent damage with it. It'll be Goldpact/Trickster, and I know I won't be doing as much as, say, a Berserker/Streetfighter, but it'd be nice to at least see some big hits sometimes. 

Do you guys think that this kind of character would offer an engaging playstyle? I really like the idea of being a tank in this game - I like the idea of charging into combat and putting lots of pressure onto enemies. 

Sure! You are combining high dmg bonuses (Sneak Attack + Deathblows and so on) with a multiplicative lash (FoD). If you use a weapon with another lash that's great dmg per hit. Also Sneak Attack and stuff stacks with the +40% dmg beacon of the paladin. Retribution stacks with Sneak and friends. Riposte is there, too.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sure! You are combining high dmg bonuses (Sneak Attack + Deathblows and so on) with a multiplicative lash (FoD). If you use a weapon with another lash that's great dmg per hit. Also Sneak Attack and stuff stacks with the +40% dmg beacon of the paladin. Retribution stacks with Sneak and friends. Riposte is there, too.

Whew, alright. I was worried that the rest of my party would leave me in the dust. I really like the idea of being a multiclass option that none of my other party members have access to. 

As for the multiplicative lash - does stacking lashes with weapons and stuff require that the weapon have the same lash type as FoD (Fire in this case, since I'm not going Bleak Walker)? Or could I do it with, say, a shock lash or a freeze lash? 

Holy slayer is really versatile as a tank/dps hybrid. Some ideas to consider:

Tutillos(sp) palm is not just for monks. Pick up dual wield AND shield styles. While technically weaker than a real weapon, the extra strike let's you get a second chance at applying ability effects. You will benefit from both the deflection from shield style and the speed boost from dual wield.

Flames of Devotion is a full attack that counts as a fire ability. Itemize and build with this in mind. Scion of flame, ring of focused flame, etc.

All of the paladin orders work great for this kinda build. My favorites depend on mode:

For tanking in a group I highly recommend shieldbearer. With that, shield, and persistent distraction you will get 3 engagement slots. The better version of loh is great too. Exalted endurance to help with party heals as well. You will do decent damage, help with healing, AND tank 3 mobs all at once!

For solo I would go goldpact. Since you won't have a party to "tank" for, the added armor is more useful. Shieldbearer was nerfed so their death prevention on loh is party only. Bleakwalker also is worthy. Your FoD will afflict enemies and do more damage. Definately pairs well with ring of focused flame and scion of flame.

Brand enemy, gouging, arterial, and ring the bell for maximum damage over time on one target. Pick up serafens hand mortar (like in my holy hand grenadier build) and you can apply gouging and arterial in an aoe. REALLY strong.

Tutillos(sp) palm is not just for monks. Pick up dual wield AND shield styles. While technically weaker than a real weapon, the extra strike let's you get a second chance at applying ability effects. You will benefit from both the deflection from shield style and the speed boost from dual wield.

Flames of Devotion is a full attack that counts as a fire ability. Itemize and build with this in mind. Scion of flame, ring of focused flame, etc.

All of the paladin orders work great for this kinda build. My favorites depend on mode:

For tanking in a group I highly recommend shieldbearer. With that, shield, and persistent distraction you will get 3 engagement slots. The better version of loh is great too. Exalted endurance to help with party heals as well. You will do decent damage, help with healing, AND tank 3 mobs all at once!

For solo I would go goldpact. Since you won't have a party to "tank" for, the added armor is more useful. Shieldbearer was nerfed so their death prevention on loh is party only. Bleakwalker also is worthy. Your FoD will afflict enemies and do more damage. Definately pairs well with ring of focused flame and scion of flame.

Brand enemy, gouging, arterial, and ring the bell for maximum damage over time on one target. Pick up serafens hand mortar (like in my holy hand grenadier build) and you can apply gouging and arterial in an aoe. REALLY strong.

I was thinking either Goldpact or Bleak Walker for roleplay purposes - Shieldbearers doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a pro-Principi character. 

another engagement with spear + modal or last word warhammer, Kapana Taga isnt really worth considering on potd because of its low pen of max 10. Last word hammer is quite nice because it gets 12 pen while other one handers get 11 pen. Best weapon for pen tho is the Spear u get from the kraken area, if u pump survival u get around 17pen with that beast + 1 engagement slot with the modal.

Edited by Dorftek

I think either one is fine. You will still get engagement to 2 with shield and persistent.

From an RP perspective, darcozzi is best fit for principi. However, they are not quite as strong as goldpact or bleakwalker.

That is true. Goldpact doesn't /really/ fit, but I can adjust a few things about the whole "Coin as a sacred pact" thing to fit in with a pirate-themed character I suppose. 

another engagement with spear + modal or last word warhammer, Kapana Taga isnt really worth considering on potd because of its low pen of max 10. Last word hammer is quite nice because it gets 12 pen while other one handers get 11 pen. Best weapon for pen tho is the Spear u get from the kraken area, if u pump survival u get around 17pen with that beast + 1 engagement slot with the modal.

Oooh, Last Word looks like a lot of fun - I like the silence on Crit. I imagine that's pretty good against enemy mages and stuff. 

So that's three engagements total (1 base, +1 Persistent, +1 Last Word) -> And then +1 from Tuotilo's if I opt for the Weapon and Shield + Two Weapon style route. Four isn't bad! 

Bleak Walker FoD should also get +10 accuracy from the new helm (forget the name - the ice themed one).

According to patch 1.2 (maybe 1.1?) patch notes, this is no longer supposed to happen. Spoiler: It still does.

Bleak Walker FoD should also get +10 accuracy from the new helm (forget the name - the ice themed one).

According to patch 1.2 (maybe 1.1?) patch notes, this is no longer supposed to happen. Spoiler: It still does.

Oh, nice. Very nice.