Beast of Winter 2nd playthrough bug

wuthering20

Question

I just finished Beast of Winter and immediately started my 2nd run with another character. However, the save I loaded already has all BoW quests completed. I can entered the village fine but when I spoke to Vatnir, the quest dialogue didn't initiate. I have multiple characters and they all have this problem.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

I've got the same issue, and so do several others. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/104395-beast-of-winter-journal-entry-oddities-stops-beast-of-winter-progress/

It appears that this can even happen to people who haven't done any TBoW content to some extent, although that person was able to get Vatnir to trigger properly by retrying from the PRE-DLC save. It seems to be a fairly rare issue, but it's quite frustrating because other than starting a new character we can't play The Beast of Winter content until this is addressed somehow. I guess, if we're just a few people who get this, and they manage to address it some other way there might be a console command we could use to reset the quests manually? It would remove the ability to get achievements on that save, but we're probably past the need to log achievements (I mean, I know I am).

• Like 1

This happened to me, as well. I started and finished the questline as normal with my first character, and when I loaded the save for my second character, the journal states that I've already done all the quests pertaining to the DLC. The initial dialogue triggers if I travel to Harbinger's Watch, but when I then go to speak to Vatnir, the conversation doesn't trigger, and any progress stops there.

• First character played Beast of Winter from beginning to end with no issues.
  • Second character can't progress past the first meeting with Vatnir, because the journal states that all the Beast of Winter quests are already completed.

Update: Removing the save files of Character 1 from the save folder, before loading the save game for Character 2, prevented this issue from happening. I was then able to start the quest line with Character 2 and save anew, before restoring the save files for Character 1. This appears to have fixed the issue for me at least, so anyone having the same problem might want to try doing the same.

Update 2: Restoring the Character 1 save files made the quest get stuck when searching for Vatnir after the Messenger attack. Went back to an earlier save after removing the Character 1 save files and loading an earlier save fixes it once again. It seems I must play without the first characters save files present in the save folder.

Save files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kfr6d0S1ioH4nCvUZohqTJhFuvyvpv2U

Edited by Kindoffer

Hey everyone,

Sorry about this issue with the Beast of Winter quest chain carrying over to other characters.  I've taken the information provided in both forum threads and given it to the QA and Programming teams so we can get a fix in for this as soon as possible.  Also, thanks for working so well together and finding workarounds while we work on a fix.  If you discover anything else pertaining to this issue, please let us know!

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.