Romance in KoTOR 2

Hey Adria! Nice to see in these boards!

As someone else mentioned already, romances in KotOR where one of the more satisfying experiences in the game. So yes, I would love to have romance in KotOR II.

But...this is a pointless debate. The Devs have already said that they would include it...so I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

What are examples of the type of romance we'd like to see in KOTOR:TSL?

Excellent question.

Something that DOESN'T deal with betrayal at some point or another would be nice. Something perhaps to do with a power struggle, or even as petty as jealousy would be nice. Someone who isn't angsty would be great.

I'm thinking a nice Han Solo-type romance. Neither Leia nor Han were the angsty type, but they still had a marvellous romance. Whereas Padme and Anakin are BOTH full of pathos, so I want to just kick them both in the butt.

They covered the Moonlighting type of romance with Carth, but perhaps didn't inject as much humour into the character of Carth himself to make it appealing enough to a lot of people. The trust issues and why he had them was a nice change, but he did come on rather strongly.

Bastila just never seemed to warm up enough.

A few other ideas:

1. The love interest is involved with, or even married to, someone else.

2. The love interest is resentful of the role the PC has to play in upcoming events, the PC's power, or both.

3. The love interest knows that they only have a limited amount of time with the PC, for whatever reason, but the PC doesn't find out about it until it's too late. Further storyline options include trying to get the love interest back or just washing their hands of the whole mess.

4. The love interest falls in love with the PC early on, but the PC doesn't figure it out until later on in the game (anyone see Some Kind of Wonderful?)

5. The standard "we come from two different worlds" storyline.

6. For a lightsider, a reformed Sith. For a darksider, seducing a Lightsider.

One of the things that they NEVER touched on in KoTOR, that I'm trying to develop for myself in my fic, is the "love is bad" idealism of the Jedi Council. That has such GREAT potential for all sorts of disastrous romance, and they didn't have the chance to expound on it.

Ah well, I guess I've rambled aimlessly enough for now.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

again, a little too much description for some one who really hated it  ;)

:p

I remenber a lot of things that I hated, felted pain and was emotional hurt your point being what?

Besides acting like a ass ...

why is everyone so rude and angry on message boards these days?

Profanity and flaming is allowed here at Obsidian?

Pain and Emotional hurt? Over a film?

I won't repeat the obsenity.

The person who I replied to wasn't upset.

Why are you so angry?

I think those were excellent suggestions. However, I am most concerned with depth. I remember in KotOR the romances were like a one dialog burst and then it is never mentioned ever again. Bastila gets captured or Carth only admits his interest near the end of the game. They were certainly lacking in depth and I would like to see the romances affect dialogue and gameplay more. Certainly the romance must affect the ending of the game, unlike KotOR.

Another unfortunate example of too many good ideas, not enough time or space for them. It was fully intended for each romance line to have some affect on the overall outcome, but the closest they were able to come to this was the DSF romance ending, and they didn't get to include all the options they wanted for that, either.

Ack! Hi Darth Shad! Sorry I didn't say hi sooner!

Yes, something along the lines of romance doesn't ALWAYS have to be so tragic, although if they don't include something tragic, I'll be upset. But one or two just nice, humourous, if ill-fated romances would not be a bad thing.

Not all romances must be ripped from a Jane Austen novel.

What are examples of the type of romance we'd like to see in KOTOR:TSL?

repost:

the best romance we can recalls from a crpg never even gets mention.

ravel loved the nameless one.

most other crpg romances is just seem likes kinda silly adolescent pre-teen stuff, but folks like'em.

obviously Gromnir is not the target audience for romances so far.

HA! Good Fun!

end repost

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am not saying that ps:t did romance well. ffg and annah romance stuff did not impress Gromnir. ravel were an exception.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ack! Hi Darth Shad! Sorry I didn't say hi sooner!

No problem Adria! :)

Anyway, I agree with Gromir. Teen romances are always represented in video games. I guess because they are "nice."

What we need is more complex ones. Maybe even a love triangle. It would be great to have disagreements or arguments with one of your party members, based on the fact that both want the same female/male npc.

And what about the conflict between love and the Jedi ways? How far are you willing to go in the name of love? Will it lead you to dark side, if you succumb to it? Or will you let go of your feelings for the greater good?

I think this is an interest aspect of the Star Wars Universe, and I would love to see it move fully developed in KotOR II.

Well that's my two cents. I don't know if this makes much sense, hope it does.,.

I'm off to bed...

-DS

"And what about the conflict between love and the Jedi ways? How far are you willing to go in the name of love? Will it lead you to dark side, if you succumb to it? Or will you let go of your feelings for the greater good?"

Love in and of itself will not lead to the dark side. Jolee wasn't turned to the dark side in Knights. And if you jump a head to the Star Wars books,a lot of Jedi have relationships and don't fall. However because of the time line they could use the Romance as a way to offer a more "gray" or neutral side to things. One that doesn't follow either extreme. Both sides are rather black and white,and forget there's a gray area in there.

I always thought it was ridiculous that the Jedi order should forbid love.

I understand forbidding being ruled by passion, but without love, what is life all about?

Anakin gives a small speech to that extent in AoTC. Also, the Jedi Order could be very different 4000 years before ANH.

The film was over-exposed. The film's love theme song was played to death on radio and video.

It wasn't a bad film, but it's become the "in thing" to slam it at every given opportunity. Besides people often remember to many details about the 4hr film to really hate it that much.

They can tell you details about scenes and lines. A little too much description if you know what I mean.

To get back on topic, I do hope that a romance story is introduced to the Sith Lords.

Ah, yes, but there's some things that are so bad, and you hate so much, they're rather hard to purge out of your memory. A good example is the Star Wars Christmas special, or the picture Soar Tueth made of Carth with the bow. :ph34r:

Still trying to get rid of that one. ;)

"I understand forbidding being ruled by passion, but without love, what is life all about?"

I got the feeling that it's kind of along the same lines of an over protective parent. They're so worried about something bad happening that they go to far in an attempt to stop it. And in some cases it can actually cause problems.

I always though Titanic was mediocre. I really believe that when something comes around that gathers a lot of interest, people feel the need to jump on a worshipful, or hateful bandwagon.

Really horrible films don't win 7 academy awards. They sometimes win a few, but not 7.

"I understand forbidding being ruled by passion, but without love, what is life all about?"

I got the feeling that it's kind of along the same lines of an over protective parent. They're so worried about something bad happening that they go to far in an attempt to stop it. And in some cases it can actually cause problems.

Yep. I think Lucas was trying to lay that ground-work in Episode 2. And his secret wedding will no doubt be an issue with the Jedi Council, and further create a rift that pushes him to become Darth Vader.

"And his secret wedding will no doubt be an issue with the Jedi Council, and further create a rift that pushes him to become Darth Vader."

No doubt. I get the feeling that the death/apparent death of Padme(sp?) is going to play a huge role in what turns him. Get twisted around and blamed on Obi or something like that and we'll have another "Tusken Situation".