Romance in KoTOR 2

*LOL*

Would you get dark or light points depending on what you said? Or how you said it on the date?

You get DS points for having her to pay for the dinner, nothing for both paying each, and LS for paying for whole night yourself.

Now that's immersion.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Heh.

Could get lightside points for bringing her a flower.

No points for bringing nothing.

Dark points for asking for one.

And how/if you say something "nice" to/about her could also end up getting light or dark points.

"You look beautiful tonight." Light

"Man that dress makes you look fat!" Dark

Wasn't it a bit lopsided in BGII, 3 romance options for a male while the chickies only got 1? (I'm really not sure-- my PC cries whenever I try to do anything fun with it.)

I sort of wish there was a poll with this topic so that the mods/game developers could see actual numbers and not the same few folks bicker back and forth. :)

I sort of wish there was a poll with this topic so that the mods/game developers could see actual numbers and not the same few folks bicker back and forth.  :)

ARGHHH!!!

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=836

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

the best romance we can recalls from a crpg never even gets mention.

ravel loved the nameless one.

I second the sentiment. Ravel's love for the Nameless One is anything but 'cliched' and 'pre-teen.'

^^ Right ;)

I really liked the romance in Phantasy Star II. When Nei died I was so bumed! Sure I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time, but still even today a consider it a good crpg romance. B)

Cheers!

why add a boring romance when you could save that time to allow the player to fight instead of listening to some horrible romance story on a video game?

Personally I don't care either way. If Kotor 2 has a romance whoopie f'in doo. If it doesn't thats cool too. I'm easy. ;)

Cheers!

why add a boring romance when you could save that time to allow the player to fight instead of listening to some horrible romance story on a video game?

Personally I don't care either way. If Kotor 2 has a romance whoopie f'in doo. If it doesn't thats cool too. I'm easy. ;)

Cheers!

yeah, but then people write storys about the chars that make you throw up, and those pictures, those terrible terrible pictures of things i wish i never seen that they draw, ewwww.......

i just hope you dont got to, and i guess ill put a block on any story that some1 writes about kotor, carth, or anything else about the whole "romance plot"

Star Wars can have humor. The droids are a great example. I think the problem is that in KOTOR, the romantic dialouge was a little corny when trying to be serious. If a character was trying to be funny with humorous affectations, that's another story.

I have no qualm with romance. I just want to see it done well.

Just piping up to say that I believe that romances are a must have for KotOR 2, but in saying that, I'm already sure they'll be in there (else there will be bloodshed. I promise).

As others have already said; what made KotOR the great game that it is was the incredible character interaction and depth. The story itself was great, in my opinion, but the character interaction is what set KotOR apart. The romances in KotOR have such an impact on so many players not only because they are, well... romances: The interaction within them was so much more than a back-story or info-feed leading into a quest. They were personal interactions between Bastila or Carth and you. *That* was their unique appeal.

When talking to Mission or Juhani, for the most part, you got nothing more than a big long back-story. The character just talked about him/herself at you rather than talkinging with you. As interesting as the stories may have been, they might have been telling them to anyone who took the time to enquire. You, former Dark Lord of the Sith, just happened to be listening.

One could argue that Juhani coming to trust and admire you counts as relationship growth, but I felt no great deal of impact from this. It was entirely automatic, so long as you continued to say anything at all to the character. That's not deep interaction. It's filler. I loved the way interaction with Jolee was handled, but it was mainly (interesting) lecture for the most part. Even Canderous, who does a complete 180, does not relate any differently to the PC through the game until it is revealed that you are Revan and even then, you only get a one-line pledge of fanatic loyalty and that's that.

For the most part, these character relationships were static up to their conclusion. Your relationship with them didn't really grow, even when the writers made efforts to develop the characters. If there was any growth at all, it was a giant leap of some sort (e.g. Canderous) and too sudden to have a lot of depth.

The romances however, are very different. With both Carth and Bastila, you not only unlock the character's past but develop a relationship with them: One that progresses step-by-step rather than all at once and one that the player therefore become engrossed with.

While I believe that keeping the romances is a must, another must is applying this dynamic to relationships with other party members. It's nothing special to learn about the past of your party members, but to have the ability to also develop friendship, loyalty, rivalry or downright enmity between characters is like the %$(ing holy grail of character interaction.

I get the impression that this was the message intended by the original comment to which this thread is in reply to, and if I'm correct in that assumption, I'll be a very happy camper.

This engine offers sooooo much potential down this avenue. Please, please, please make the most of it.

Back to the romances: To the folks who don't want a romance in the games they play, I simply say don't pursue the option, but the option is vital. If such interactions are nothing more than a hurdle to your beloved hacking and slashing, may I suggest you either stick to hack and slash games or click-click-click your way through the RP content of RPGs. But to complain about RPGers wanting more RP in their G where an RPG is the topic at hand is, well... a little silly.

what do you want? have the character and the NPCs go out for dinner first? make a little walk in the park? go watch the moons of tattoine and chill in a bar? do you want them to talk for hours about their favourite colours?

How about better dialog options and less cliched characters to romance with in the first place ?!?

Would that too much to ask ?!?

Ho wait, you guys think KOTOR romances were the epidome of literary perfection, nevermind...

Ho wait, you guys think KOTOR romances were the epidome of literary perfection, nevermind...

:p

They are too young Opus, too young...

They probably weren't around 6-7 years ago when it was made popular by PS:T and BG2 (which did much better jobs of it) ;)

Edit: I've been told that some Final Fantasy game also did a good job of it an age ago.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You know what would be the shiznat is if they somehow managed to implement a romance rather like the one found in The Taming of the Shrew (for those who don't do Shakespeare, 10 Things I Hate About You is a modern loose adaptation of it, of course not as good as the original, but worth mention); that is simply THE BEST romance of all time IMHO. It was funny, touching, and bawdy in it's own right. Possibly rather politically incorrect in today's hyper sensitive society if implemented EXACTLY like the original. But something like it, i.e. the love interest hating the PC at the beginning, but being forced to be with them anyway through circumstance, and growing to have an affection for them even with the downright rudeness of the PC ( :p ). That would rock.

I mean, the Bioweenies did manage to implement Romeo and Juliet in the original...but it would have been much better had the PC been Romeo/Juliet rather than just being a mediator between the 'Montagues' and 'Capulets'.

Anywho, my $0.02 worth.

I'll take Henry V's or Much Ado's romance alongside Shrew's anyday.

Romeo and Juliet is a great example of a commercial success (like KOTOR) with a bad love story. Romeo is 14/15 years old. He wants to die because his soulmate, Rosaline and he are no longer an item. Life isn't worth living. Then he sees some girl at a party that he knows nothing about. He woos her by swearing to the moon, which she doesn't care for. She points out that the moon is inconstant, and disappears in four weeks. Fiiting that this child swore by it, eh?

They have sex, he is banished, and next thing you know, they are married before they've had more than one decent conversation. Then they kill themselves over each other.

Who is to say Juliet wasn't another Rosaline?

It scares me how wonderfully went written some of Shakespeare's romances are, and how bad the love story is in Romeo and Juliet.

It scares me how wonderfully went written some of Shakespeare's romances are, and how bad the love story is in Romeo and Juliet.

Well, it has been said he was insane...or at the very least mentally disturbed...perhaps that explains the inconsistency? Especially if he was Bi-Polar...that would really explain it. :p