I noticed, as I was planning a new character, that Sacred Immolation's self-damage appears to be required to pass a Reflex check.

Does anyone know if this is the Reflex of the player and, if so, does a miss mean that no damage is done to the player?

Thoughts?

EDIT: After a quick test appears that the self-damage is auto-applied and thus not subject to a reflex save by the user. This seems like it is either a bug, or the description in the game gives the wrong impression.

Edited by hansvedic

It is excaty the same as all damage in the game

It is not required “ to pass a reflex check”

The damage applied is vs reflex and may miss, graze, hit, crit just like any other damage

Dont use self immolation. You would be stupid to have such huge consequences for such small benefits

EDIT: After a quick test appears that the self-damage is auto-applied and thus not subject to a reflex save by the user. This seems like it is either a bug, or the description in the game gives the wrong impression.

Yeah, my paladin has roughly 60 more reflex than accuracy, and through 4 recastings of Sacred Immolation the damage to self seemed consistent.

(I was standing by myself, away from the battle)

Mechanically I don't know how the reflex save would work anyway. It's not even avoiding a point blank fireball, it's being the point blank fireball.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

The burn damage targets reflex. I don't think that the raw self damage has to do a hit roll. It just gets applied.

You can wear Voidward (ring) to reduce the raw damage of Sacred Immolation. It works. If you combine it with some other "transform damage to healing" stuff like Unbending or a strong healing over time (Moonwell or so) then you can work with Sacred Immolation without killing yourself.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It is excaty the same as all damage in the game

It is not required “ to pass a reflex check”

The damage applied is vs reflex and may miss, graze, hit, crit just like any other damage

Dont use self immolation. You would be stupid to have such huge consequences for such small benefits

What I meant by "to pass a reflex check", as others have noted, is that my accuracy would have to overcome my reflex save in order to apply the raw damage. Spoiler Alert: it does not, despite the description implying that it does. If having a tremendous reflex save could allow one to avoid the self-damage, it would make Sacred Immolation usable with high reflex, especially with a Rogue's Adept Evasion skill making all reflex grazes miss. In fact, it would/should also mean that the Large Shield modal would halve the damage, I suppose...

Still, it is what it is.

The burn damage targets reflex. I don't think that the raw self damage has to do a hit roll. It just gets applied.

You can wear Voidward (ring) to reduce the raw damage of Sacred Immolation. It works. If you combine it with some other "transform damage to healing" stuff like Unbending or a strong healing over time (Moonwell or so) then you can work with Sacred Immolation without killing yourself.

I suspect Unbending won't work. It generally doesn't work with effects that apply damage over time debuffs that aren't shown on the combat log, such as Combusting Wounds.

What you can do though is get damaged by conventional attacks and use the overheal from Unbending to heal through the dot. It can be hard.

• Like 1