I did not finish the game yet for a full report,

but it's safe to say most enemies lack meaningful abilities. And that's an issue after lvl 9, when you have all your builds working.

So it's tuned until lvl 9, and afterwards it's low effort, but not exactly faceroll like at release. It's still fun, trough you are not going to experience the challenge of the first game after exploring neketaka.

It's really tough to balance games... there's a lot to take into account, where to spend time on balancing, what difficulty the majority of gamers play... ai, classes and multi classes. I doubt they are going to spend a huge amount of more time on "fixing" PoTD. It just ain't worth it. They will spend more time on balancing classes and fights as they did with the first game. But concentrating purely on PoTD isn't really a sensible use of resources. Pretty much every game ever made (bar a few exceptions) has this issue that the game gets easier at the end.

And it's really tough to fix. The more "divergence" you have the tougher it becomes to balance until it's pretty much impossible.

The beginning of a game when characters are low level is quite easy, even trying to take the different difficulties and play styles into account. By the time you've hit 15th level in a large game there are way to many things to take into consideration, and it gets exponentially worse from there...

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I think they should get rid of the max +6 lvl scaling and just let everything scale up to player level 

Yeah, thing is that takes a lot of additional coding -- from what I can tell from the developer's comments at least, they have to go through all the NPCs and physically add the extra level ranges to them. 

I suspect we'll get that eventually it's just gonna take some time. Meanwhile, though, I think this is the root of why people are having balance issues at later levels -- any given individual fight probably *has* been tweaked for additional difficulty, they did a comprehensive pass across the game, it's just that at high levels you start outlevelling even that additional pass.

It's really tough to balance games... there's a lot to take into account, where to spend time on balancing, what difficulty the majority of gamers play... ai, classes and multi classes. I doubt they are going to spend a huge amount of more time on "fixing" PoTD. It just ain't worth it. They will spend more time on balancing classes and fights as they did with the first game. But concentrating purely on PoTD isn't really a sensible use of resources. Pretty much every game ever made (bar a few exceptions) has this issue that the game gets easier at the end.

And it's really tough to fix. The more "divergence" you have the tougher it becomes to balance until it's pretty much impossible.

The beginning of a game when characters are low level is quite easy, even trying to take the different difficulties and play styles into account. By the time you've hit 15th level in a large game there are way to many things to take into consideration, and it gets exponentially worse from there...

Plus at the very top levels most players want to be steamrolling anyway even on PotD -- people want a victory lap at endgame

\
Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

The first ten levels or so (up through Neketaka and Hasongo) is pretty well balanced now on PotD -- difficult and I find I need to use consumables consistently and intelligently to progress.

What I suspect is happening is that the 'upscaling" maxes out at about a six-level shift, so once you get very high level (14+) you start out-scaling a lot of the game content, even after "upscaling." So the problem isn't so much any particular fight -- each map in the game has been adjusted fpr PotD, as per patch notes -- as it is players out-levelling the content.

A lot of side quest stuff is set to be relatively low-level (because they don't know when you'll tackle it) and it can't fully upscale due to the cap, so once you're past level 12 or so stuff starts getting easier because you're outlevelling content.

That makes sense, however, the fact that players begin to outscale content once they reach levels 12-14 is a bit absurd when the game caps at level 20. And even if some players appreciate a “victory lap,” it seems to me the amount of high level content is low compared to the amount that PoE had at release.

Even though Acts III and IV in PoE were underwhelming at max level, the dragon battles, the deathguard battle, and the high-level bounties were all still satisfying, at least until the level cap was increased by the expansions. In Deadfire, the corresponding endgame encounters lack the same impact when at max level. That is a problem, and I hope the developers will further adjust those particular encounters.

• Like 1