Mapping the Archipelago - if you have already been to the starting islands?

Does this essentially close the quest?

I can't seem to get any reaction to my presence on the opening island to allow me to name it

(went there and cleared it early before getting the quest) 

if I go back  to the shop the mapping quest does not come up in dialoge at all.

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Does this essentially close the quest?

I can't seem to get any reaction to my presence on the opening island to allow me to name it

(went there and cleared it early before getting the quest) 

if I go back  to the shop the mapping quest does not come up in dialoge at all.

All of the Uncharted Islands are namable the moment you clear* them, whether you have the Mapping the Archipelago quest or not.

Are you sure you cleared the right island?

* This is technically not correct, BTW.  I found out in my latest playthrough that if one enters the dungeon that is on an Uncharted Island and then leave it, it counts as exploring it for said quest, even if you don't clear it out.

This might not even be a bug, considering that the quest is to "explore" and not "clear out".

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 1

You are not maping the opening isle - you are mapping uncharted isles around opening isles. You should be able to name each uncharted isle after exploring it, whenever you met the map maker or not. Just like bounties you can explore them ahead of time, and hand in quest after it is given.

If you have been to both the first islands he wants explored when he gives you the quest you can tell him as much.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Maybe I gave up too quickly once I figured out I had already been there (first island north of Port Maje) - I breifly checked for the island south of Port Maje and was unsure how to land with no port sign showing (thus unsure which island was the uncharted one for the quest.) I will have to check them out again I guess

(I have not named any islands altho I think I recall getting a message about doing so at some point early on and ignoring it - I have not done much sandbox traveling mostly followed quest lines - currently level 13)

Maybe I gave up too quickly once I figured out I had already been there (first island north of Port Maje) - I breifly checked for the island south of Port Maje and was unsure how to land with no port sign showing (thus unsure which island was the uncharted one for the quest.) I will have to check them out again I guess

(I have not named any islands altho I think I recall getting a message about doing so at some point early on and ignoring it - I have not done much sandbox traveling mostly followed quest lines - currently level 13)

The chance to name the island doesn't happen when you land at the beach of the island (ie click on the anchor and exit your boat). You always need to enter the dungeon on the island and when you exit the dungeon you will be prompted to name the island.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

The chance to name the island doesn't happen when you land at the beach of the island (ie click on the anchor and exit your boat). You always need to enter the dungeon on the island and when you exit the dungeon you will be prompted to name the island.

And does the island always have an anchoring spot (shown by an anchor) it's accessible by ship? Or are there other ways to access an island if no anchor is showing?