Non combat force powers

I doubt you'd deflect bullets with a lightsaber. Just think about it: Bullet is fired, bullet flies, Jedi whips up lightsaber, bullet hits lightsaber, lightsaber melts bullet, high speed blob of molten metal formerly known as bullet hits Jedi in face. Ouch.

Anyway, the only chance you'd have of playing a non-jedi in a starwars CRPG is if they set one during the time of the empire before ep IV, when all the jedi are dead or hiding and the only sith are vader and the emperor. Then you could have an entire game that didn't feature even one of the force wielding wee buggers.

It's difficult to say if a bullet could be neutralized by a lightsaber. In the lightsaber's favour though, it doesn't really adhere to physics, so its performance against a bullet is completely open to interpretation. What is obvious is that a lightsaber is very very hot. Hot enough to melt a bullet in time? Maybe.

Anyways, the force can be used very creatively in game development. Even if they couldn't be deflected, bullets could easily be dodged/force shielded against or whatever. The power and versatility of the force really depends on if the devs want jedi to be very powerful and cool, or if they want the classes to be more balanced. EU, the official movies, and games all have different opinions on how powerful the average jedi really is.

I personally think jedi should be crazy-powerful though. :p

When you fire a "tracer" round from a gun, it looks just like a Star Wars blaster shot.

What you are seeing in fact is gas as it's shot across the sky, just like a blaster shot.

I can see what you're saying but from the description from the StarWars Databank I don't think there's anyway to realistically describe how the blaster works using modern day physics. And if they have such varied technology to our own, that they somehow harness "light-based" (yet slow traveling) energy and launch it in bursts called "bolts" I don't think their projectile weapons should really have to show much resemblance to our own either.

"The standard ranged weapon of both military personnel and civilians in the galaxy, the blaster pistol fires cohesive bursts of light-based energy called bolts. Blasters come in a variety of shapes and sizes, delivering a wide range of damage capability. Many blaster pistols have stun settings that incapacitate a target, rather than inflicting physical damage. While blasters do deliver a searing concussive blast, they can be foiled by magnetic seals and deflector shields." - Star Wars Databank

I doubt you'd deflect bullets with a lightsaber. Just think about it: Bullet is fired, bullet flies, Jedi whips up lightsaber, bullet hits lightsaber, lightsaber melts bullet, high speed blob of molten metal formerly known as bullet hits Jedi in face. Ouch.

Unless the bullet was vaporized instead of just melted. If the bullets were made out of the special carbon-weave stuff or whatever the swords in KOTOR are made out of, they'd bounce right off even though they'd be incredibly hard to hit if you were going with a "realistic" approach. However, I'm trying to argue that the "KOTOR" universe is not about realism.

Because a blaster bolt is energy, in fact its gas turned into energy.

By the simple fact you can see a blaster travel in naked eye as you cannot do the same with a bullet.

Last time I checked "cohesive bursts of light-based energy" are not projetiles and so far only thing that lightsabers deflected are blaster bolts.

Well in the Jedi Knight series both the Golan Arms FC-1 Flecette and Wookie Bowcaster fire bolts of metal enveloped with energy. The Golan is a shotgun type spread of metal while the Bowcaster is more like a crossbow bolt. Both these weapons can be deflected by your Lightsaber. Also the Imperial Heavy Repeater fires bullets at a super high rate, but they can all be deflected and blocked by your Lightsaber. The Imperial Merr-Sonn PLX-2M Portable Missile System can't be blocked with a Lightsaber however you can use force push to send it screaming back towards your enemies. If a Jedi can do that I see no reason why he couldn't pull a Matrix style attack against todays bullets, not only stoping them in mid flight but also sending them right back at the soldiers who fired them. In conclusion if a Lightsaber can stop and deflect an Imperial Heavy Repeater and force push can send a Rocket back to the shooter I see no reason why bullets would present even the slightest challenge to a Jedi or a Sith.

(All weapon descriptions and info on the ammunition they fire come from Star Wars Jedi Outcast Jedi Knight II Game Manual) B)

Cheers!

Because a blaster bolt is energy, in fact its gas turned into energy.

By the simple fact you can see a blaster travel in naked eye as you cannot do the same with a bullet.

Last time I checked "cohesive bursts of light-based energy" are not projetiles and so far only thing that lightsabers deflected are blaster bolts.

Well in the Jedi Knight series both the Golan Arms FC-1 Flecette and Wookie Bowcaster fire bolts of metal enveloped with energy. The Golan is a shotgun type spread of metal while the Bowcaster is more like a crossbow bolt. Both these weapons can be deflected by your Lightsaber. Also the Imperial Heavy Repeater fires bullets at a super high rate, but they can all be deflected and blocked by your Lightsaber. The Imperial Merr-Sonn PLX-2M Portable Missile System can't be blocked with a Lightsaber however you can use force push to send it screaming back towards your enemies. If a Jedi can do that I see no reason why he couldn't pull a Matrix style attack against todays bullets, not only stoping them in mid flight but also sending them right back at the soldiers who fired them. In conclusion if a Lightsaber can stop and deflect an Imperial Heavy Repeater and force push can send a Rocket back to the shooter I see no reason why todays bullets would present even the slightest challenge to a Jedi or a Sith.

(All weapon descriptions and info on the ammunition they fire come from Star Wars Jedi Outcast Jedi Knight II Game Manual) B)

Cheers!

You took the words right out of my mouth. Lightsabers pwn bullets. :rolleyes:

I think a two-foot-tall green muppet using a mystical energy field that can't be seen to lift a spaceship out of an alien swamp could be consided more of a stretch than a lightsaber deflecting a solic object. Willing suspension of disbelief means just that. When you go out of your way to nitpick, you are doing just the opposite.

Why do people only focus on the small stuff?

I don't really care if it deflects bullets or not. However, in the spirit of trying to put the issue to rest, let us consider Return of the Jedi. Luke is on the sail-barge, forgetting that he is supposed to be a pansy-Skywalker, and grows a pair for a few minutes. He goes ballistic, knocking people around with the saber.

What we don't see, is any limbs flying off (despite Lucas doing it in other scenes). We don't see any blood (despite Lucas showing blood elsewhere). We don't see people being sliced into. We see people being "batted" around with the lightsaber. The old Star Wars RPG theorized that a Jedi with control of the force can effectively add to, or subtract from the damage of a lightsaber considering their power. By holding back, they don't tear through items with the saber, but use the weapon more in bludgeoning fashion.

Not everyone accepts this theory, but an argument can be made that we see in the OT a lightsaber deflecting solid objects (Gamorreans in this case) rather than slice through objects.

Drakon, you claim that RPG's struggle to maintain class balance.

That all depends on the RPG.  White Wolf's World of Darkness RPGs are a great example.  Certain clans have huge advantages in Vampire, such as the Tremere.  In Changeling, one type of Fae is immensely more powerful th

if you play classless point-based systems, you won't have a problem with that. force-sensitivity would depend on a stroke of luck (game master rolls when you create your character. if you're force sensitive, you may become a jedi or a force adept, else you may not)- kindda like in galaxies.

though i must admit that i do not know of a good system that might reflect what i just wrote.

The Old Star Wars RPG system by West End games is a classless point system like you described.

good system

...alas...

i lost count of the d6 i had to roll ;)

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

Sorry, but 'it's a fantasy' is not an exscuse...

is too... ;)

no, come on guys, i don't wanna go into lengthy discussions here. again, i'm only stating what i've read in some (source)books.

i'm not making anything up- just stating what i've read. you have issues with that? go complain to lucas.

i only have a gungan and ewok issue there with that fella...

While I think Ep I, overall, sucked, I do love the scene where Maul is walking into the hanger using the Force to toss things about. Get chills everytime I see it. That was damned cool and I'd love to have a similar opportunity in KoTOR II.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

Also, I haven't read the ROTJ novelization in over ten years, but I recall reading somwhere where Luke felt a tinge of the darkside when he choked the Gammorean guards in Jabba's palace, and thusly avoided killing on the sail barge.

But then again, he blew the barge up and probably ending up killing a few people that way.

Am I crazy? Does anyone remember this?

I'd love to be able to use the force to fling things at opponents.  You get attacked by 2 soldiers, you kill one then use the force to fling his body at the other one, knocking him down.

reminds me of the half life 2 engine.

...which would actually be quite cool as one would be able to really slice objects apart with a saber

I'd love to be able to use the force to fling things at opponents.  You get attacked by 2 soldiers, you kill one then use the force to fling his body at the other one, knocking him down.

reminds me of the half life 2 engine.

...which would actually be quite cool as one would be able to really slice objects apart with a saber

They need to make a Jedi Knight sequel on the source engine... :ph34r: