Story and Gameplay Segregation - Or, Can You Be a Tough Guy With Low Resolve?

So, in creating a character, I've run into a problem that has been brought up here from time to time, that is creating a character that embodies every aspect of a concept while still making the best use of the stats available. There are some stats that, mechanically, aren't the best for every character build but do shine in a roleplay sense, and vice-versa. 

For example - A character wanting to be the 'tank' of the party and engage multiple enemies might benefit from high Constitution, but Constitution serves no purpose in dialogue. It's effectively a roleplaying "Dump stat" despite serving a purpose in the gameplay aspect of the game. 

And then we come to the reason I started this whole thread - Resolve. 

I've brought this up in other cases, mostly asking about the number of Resolve checks in game. After all, Resolve was, in Pillars 1, effectively your Charisma stat. It determined how good you were going to be at enforcing your will on a situation, and was one of the big "Talky" skills along with Perception and Intellect. In PoE2, it doesn't seem to matter as much. High Intellect can easily offset the Will penalty. 

But then there's the issue of the little annotations on each stat that kind of give you an idea of what sort of person you are for having each score. Obsidian seems to have taken the D&D approach here - 10 points is average, anything lower than that is deficient, but thankfully since each save has two stats attached to it, you can offset the losses somewhat. 

But then there's that roleplay aspect. 

My current character has a Dexterity and a Resolve of 6, with solid scores in all other stats, which effectively makes him a fairly durable, insanely strong, perceptive, and intelligent, spineless coward. I get that I chose to make his stats that low, as it made the most sense gameplay wise. Since he's a Streetfighter, I want enemies to gang up on him so he can get bonuses for being flanked and bloodied, so low Deflection makes sense. His Intellect helps with his Frenzy duration as a Barbarian, as well as the durations of the Afflictions he's laying down as a Rogue. High constitution is self-explanatory. Because Barbarian/Rogue offers so many boosts to Action Speed, I don't really 'need' high Dexterity. 

But then I think of it from a roleplay perspective. 

I want to play a character who's unflinching, not afraid to back down from a challenge - and in fact, fully embraces each when it comes. He's a former slave from the Deadfire who's opted to essentially come full circle and take a chunk of it for himself to make up for what was taken from him. He doesn't go out of his way to start fights, but he goes out of his way to finish them. 

But, according to this, because I chose to min-max, he's a coward. 

I wouldn't be asking this if it wasn't such a... striking character trait, to say the least. A low Intellect means your character is dumb, I get it - we've all played the big dumb fighter. A low Wisdom means they're more gullible, while a low Charisma means they're not very motivating, or they might have a bad smell. 

My point to all of this - How would you justify playing a character with significant maluses in one or two stats for the purpose of roleplaying? Is it fair game to just ignore what the stats say your character 'should' be like in favor of enriching your own experience? I suppose I could translate the lack of Resolve into a sense of superstition. Just as long as Eld Engrim doesn't ask me to throw more gold into the bloody sea to appease Ondra. 

Okay, I actually answered my own question. 

My character is a broken man. He's lost pretty much everyone he ever cared about, and is trying to claw himself back from the brink and claim a piece of what he feels was stolen from him. It's why he took Raedric's offer, and why he pushed on through the first game. By the time he was Lord of Caed Nua he could relax a little bit, but when that was taken away, he started to crack again. Thus, he's significantly more susceptible to psychic attacks, but is able to resist the worst of the effects through relying on his knowledge and experience.

As for the Dexterity, that could easily be explained through old injuries, which he's able to overcome briefly through relying on his Barbarian Frenzy and other abilities. By essentially surrendering himself to his baser impulses, he can fight at close to his original capacity once again - he's just a little sluggish starting out.

And there, I've effectively accounted for my min/maxing. 

min-maxing and realistic characters/role playing don't mix. A person with 6 dexterity shouldn't be able to wield any weapon effectively. And there is no morale in this game, but if there would be at such low resolve they would be terrified constantly. I think this is actually an interesting concept.

min-maxing and realistic characters/role playing don't mix. A person with 6 dexterity shouldn't be able to wield any weapon effectively. And there is no morale in this game, but if there would be at such low resolve they would be terrified constantly. I think this is actually an interesting concept.

Hah. Yeah, admittedly... they don't. It takes me back to my 4e days where a Pixie built for charging could instagib things three or four size categories taller than them by virtue of an incredibly specific set of feats. My DM HATED me. But then, 4e was never optimized as a roleplaying game, just an action game with some rudimentary RPG elements. 

Still, considering Dexterity really doesn't matter for the speed boosts you get from Barbarian/Rogue, and the fact that I could never pump Resolve up enough to pass dialogue checks without dumping something else that's very important for the build to function properly, I'll stick with this. Just flavor "Terrified" as "PTSD flashback."

If POE1 was a 10 on the Resolve-conversation-check scale, then POE2 is a 4. There are a FEW dialogue options where Resolve really helps, but not nearly as many as POE1.

Secondly, I'm finding my 8 Resolve PC is getting hit a ton more than my 20 Resolve PC. So in that case, I can't see a tank with low Resolve, but that's only my experience.

If POE1 was a 10 on the Resolve-conversation-check scale, then POE2 is a 4. There are a FEW dialogue options where Resolve really helps, but not nearly as many as POE1.

Secondly, I'm finding my 8 Resolve PC is getting hit a ton more than my 20 Resolve PC. So in that case, I can't see a tank with low Resolve, but that's only my experience.

I think the idea is just to boost your armor as high as possible so that attacks won't damage you as much. You'll still get hit, but they won't penetrate your defenses. Less avoidance tanking, more mitigation tanking. 

Furthermore, lower Deflection entices enemies to attack you more than your allies. It's great if you can pull it off. 

I would like to hear how you managed 20 Resolve though. 

• Like 1

But, according to this, because I chose to min-max, he's a coward.

Not really, no. Resolve is not synonymous with bravery, but, quoting dictionary, "firm determination to do something". So if your character plans to prance about doing side quests instead of beelining to Eothas every time, low resolve is completely in character. 8)

• Like 1

Resolve =/= bravery. If you look at the companions stats (and those tend to be more or less in character), for example, Tekehu has fairly high resolve, but he gets scared all the time lol.

I actually like it that Resolve doesn't affect conversations as much as it did in the first game. I don't min/max, but spending 4-5 points on a stat that I absolutely don't need for combat just to pass persuasion checks still doesn't feel right.