Real-time ship combat could have been what made this game.

The problem is that the current ship combat is incredibly tedious and boring. You get a static pencil sketch as your only interface while dry text tells you what you and your opponent are doing. There is nothing engaging the player with it, no visual representation to engage the eyes. Its all about clicking the right options to end the fight as quickly as possible, so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

There are some fine games with active arcade ship combat like rebel galaxy.

However crpg funbase could other priorities than arcade mini games.

There was some pool suggestiong that crpg fans may like strategic elements, but no sports, or casuals.

As for current ship combat:

+add vendor upgrade "Burning Adra Ram" which reduces damage when choosing fastforward to deck combat.

+killing enemy crew with canons translates to less enemies to fight. 

+ minigame factors wind direction (that could be long term goal).

Probably players will hate/love poe2 for shipcombat, so just make is passeble and move to the important staff like loot and romancing eder.

I have some other questions about ships now we are on it. Which is the best one?

So far I found the galleon better than the junk as it takes less damage from closing in to the other ship and my junk ended up sunk a few times although it was way less broken than the enemy.

I haven't found a way to board the enemy ships after the first turn. Is this possible?

This might be a stupid question, but whey do enemy sailors constantly move around? I've found all you can do with "report" is replace wounded sailors. Can you actually fix the ship, and if so how? Also, why do people always say Shoot > jibe > hold > shoot is the strategy? Why not just stay put with hold until the cannons reload instead of turning?

Have to admit I'm really not a mega fan of the ship fighting but I do try to do it anyway. Especially at the beginning of the game when you are fighitng enemies way more powerful, you might as well just quit and reload. There's also a bug where you are sunk but your ship stays afloat with 0 health and starts fixing itself. Happened to me twice lol.

Report does fix the ship if you move people to damaged bit that appear on the left side screen (your left).

I find galleon to be best ship. I have mine set with long range one side and shorter range other side.Yes can board if close in not just at start better to close in.

Combat is easy get to good range turn put you side on hold position (important) then fire cannons and jib rinse and repeat.

If find your taking beating you don't like turn face and close distance 2 down when close enough will say prepare board.

If can put all single job crew on best ship add in few on bottom right can do multiple jobs, make sure couple handle cannons, sucks if cannon people injured no skilled take over. Upgrade when can afford too. more combat speed better.

Hope that helps bit

• Like 2

I have some other questions about ships now we are on it. Which is the best one?

So far I found the galleon better than the junk as it takes less damage from closing in to the other ship and my junk ended up sunk a few times although it was way less broken than the enemy.

I haven't found a way to board the enemy ships after the first turn. Is this possible?

This might be a stupid question, but whey do enemy sailors constantly move around? I've found all you can do with "report" is replace wounded sailors. Can you actually fix the ship, and if so how? Also, why do people always say Shoot > jibe > hold > shoot is the strategy? Why not just stay put with hold until the cannons reload instead of turning?

Have to admit I'm really not a mega fan of the ship fighting but I do try to do it anyway. Especially at the beginning of the game when you are fighitng enemies way more powerful, you might as well just quit and reload. There's also a bug where you are sunk but your ship stays afloat with 0 health and starts fixing itself. Happened to me twice lol.

If don't like ship combat and want to do board fast try this.

First ship you get upgrade guns to double cannon looks like pair of cannons welded together 4 of those hit like 8 cannons. 

Improve hull bit but try not lose combat speed. Improve sails best you can get, improve anchor and ships wheel. should be very fast and nimble little thing.

Move fast to 200-300 metres turn to be side on hold position open up guns and jib in one turn hold fire then move fast to boarding. Should find with good cannon crew, your hits should keep enemy ship busy, won't take much fire from and with speed you can go should close distance fast board and win.

That's probably best 2 ways deal with ships

If want sink ship shoot cannonballs, if your aiming to annoy crew on enemy ship while closing to board use grape shot.

Edited by Stephen Unsworth-Mitchell
  • Like 2

If don't like ship combat and want to do board fast try this.

First ship you get upgrade guns to double cannon looks like pair of cannons welded together 4 of those hit like 8 cannons. 

Improve hull bit but try not lose combat speed. Improve sails best you can get, improve anchor and ships wheel. should be very fast and nimble little thing.

Move fast to 200-300 metres turn to be side on hold position open up guns and jib in one turn hold fire then move fast to boarding. Should find with good cannon crew, your hits should keep enemy ship busy, won't take much fire from and with speed you can go should close distance fast board and win.

That's probably best 2 ways deal with ships

If want sink ship shoot cannonballs, if your aiming to annoy crew on enemy ship while closing to board use grape shot.

Thanks! That definitely helps :)

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png