Can't boot up Windows, help please

algroth

So, I woke up today to a computer that remains stuck on a black screen with only a cursor on it. I can move the cursor about but can't click anything, can't type anything or perform any other action. I've tried running a CHKDSK (which went fine but didn't solve the problem), running safe mode, last known working state, 640x480, all to no avail. Also tried a system repair but when that window pops up, I get the reverse situation as before - I see everythong but get no cursor, while keys remain unresponsive. So I'm basically stuck. Anyone know anything about this?

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Which version of Windows? Also what does running safe mode to no avail mean? Are you getting a black screen in safe mode?

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Are you on a laptop or desktop? Are you running system repair off of your local copy of Windows, or an external Windows installer (i.e. flash drive/disc).

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My father had a similar issue once with his Windows 10 after an update. Windows "forgot" to load up the command shell.

When you're on the black screen with only the cusor try hitting CTRL + ALT + DELETE and see if that works. If so start the Task Manager and use "run new task"  from the file menu. Enter "explorer", press return.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Desktop, and I'm running Windows 7. I've been having some PSU issues of late, which have caused drives to disappear and so on, boots were pretty long when I was working with more than a couple of internal hard drives at a time (I'm trying to acquire a new PSU but between money issues and lack of availability in Argentina it's been tough yo get a hold of one, so I've since removed a few internal hard drives in the meantime). But it's never acted this way. One other thing I noted was that the computer was running very slowly yesterday, and noted thay there seemed to be several processes replicated when I opened up task manager. The computer's never been one for freezing a whole lot so that was strange. And now it just won't boot back up.

I think one of the processes also had a curious name related to Avast, like "setup completion error" or something. I'm not sure if it's related, if the cause of this could be a virus (where from I have no idea), or if it's something completely incidental and maybe even normal, but I mention it anyhow.

My father had a similar issue once with his Windows 10 after an update. Windows "forgot" to load up the command shell.

When you're on the black screen with only the cusor try hitting CTRL + ALT + DELETE and see if that works. If so start the Task Manager and use "run new task"  from the file menu. Enter "explorer", press return.

Did try, unfortunately it didn't work. Keyboard's completely unresponsive in this screen (I've been able to F8 on boot though - just nothing to do once the cursor appears).

Well, if the PSU is failing that could have caused some memory corruptions. I agree about booting Ubuntu; burn a linux live-cd/usb, and diagnose your hardware. This will boot even if something is going on with your harddrives, and you can always burn one from someone else's computer. It will also allow you to backup any critical data you have, you'll have access to a browser so you'll have access to the cloud, just setup wifi. Since it's all running out of ram, it will be somewhat slow, if it's too slow try Lubuntu instead (it's lightweight.)

Given you're running Win7, malware could be part of the cause as well. Often the best fix is just to backup your data and reformat the system. If it is a harddrive going bad, I've found Windows can be really flaky, but I've gotten an extra year out of a bad drive by switching to linux. Linux these days should be more than enough for practical matters, especially if most of your work can be done online. Reformatting will probably be the best solution for Windows as well. Not sure what you're situation is with you're windows license, but general advice is to reclaim the license before you reformat. I wouldn't want you to wipe it, then be without it. Of course this is all "proper means" advise.

• Like 1

Remove all but one stick of RAM and swap it out with the other(s) (also, this can be used to reduce power draw if that's part of the issue). Go to integrated graphics to reduce power draw even more if you can (or stick in a low-end card for much the same effect, if you have one).

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.