Did anyone else expect a plot twist regarding... (endgame spoilers)

The moment Berath placed a chime/silver sword shard/piece of Voldemort's soul inside of me, I had suspicions.

I was certain that the chime would have some secret effect on the story -- absorbing the souls who so naively decided to follow Berath's herald, for instance. I was certain that the chime, once strengthened from having absorbed enough souls, would be ready to reveal its true purpose:

It was a new 'Godhammer' bomb, one specifically designed to destroy Eothas in his new body. Berath simply wanted the Watcher to get close enough to set off this suicide bomb. Or perhaps it was meant to absorb Eothas' essence into itself, as well -- all part of a plan to empower Berath.

Anyway, I can't be the only one who was suspicious of Berath's motivations throughout the game.

Some other ideas that went through my mind:

- I never did understand how, or why, Eothas reformed at the specific place and time that he did. Was it even his decision, or did Woedica or Berath direct it behind the scenes?

- The reasons for choosing a giant statue seem obvious -- unstoppable, apparently indestructible...

But how did Eothas know about the statue? Did he have some connection to Od Nua? My guess is that, like the Great Sphinx, the statue of Maros Nua is a "Wonder of the World" that was known to all the gods.

- At first, I was suspicious if the being inhabitting the statue even *was* Eothas. How could we be sure it was not an imposter?

(like Thaos, perhaps, his soul being stitched back together by Woedica if you destroyed it in the first game)

- I am confused as to how Eothas was able to remove the chime -- since it belonged to Berath, not him. Are the gods able to "undo" one another's work without incident?

- Back to Berath: For a god whose duality is constantly emphasized, "she" spoke to me entirely in the form of the Pallid Knight. Why?

When I first began the game, I had a theory -- it was not actually Berath. The "Pallid Knight" was Woedica in disguise and the "Usher" was Skaen in disguise.

- Did anyone else have a suspicion that Xoti was not all that she seemed? Her bubbly personality didn't mesh with her god of worship, nor specifically with her desire to collect souls in her lantern.

I was convinced her lantern was not what it seemed. I wondered if she was planning to betray me from the start -- this game's version of Yoshimo. Her lantern was perhaps meant to prevent Berath from obtain the souls.

- Before the game was released, by prediction for Eothas' reason for returning was: He was planning to construct a new Godhammer himself, to use against Woedica or Magran or Berath.

--------

In retrospect, none of my predictions came true. :(:rolleyes:

What were some of your theories, before finishing the game?

• Like 4

Xoti can go *real* dark and almost straight crazy if you push her that way on her personal quest. I for one thought that she was going to empower Eothas with the harvested souls in her lantern, but...well, it doesn't go down quite like that.

You're a very suspicious person.

The only real theory I had was that Eothas was gonna try and break the Wheel, and Xoti pretty much confirmed it early on - which made it all the more amusing when chatting with the gods and pretending I knew nothing.

Wait how did Xoti confirmed it early on? Wut? I don't remember that part D: 

She keeps rambling about how the Beyond will go empty, and we will all die out after one of her nightmares. Though it might be difficult to connect those words to the Wheel being broken unless you know in advance. 

• Like 2

You're a very suspicious person.

The only real theory I had was that Eothas was gonna try and break the Wheel, and Xoti pretty much confirmed it early on - which made it all the more amusing when chatting with the gods and pretending I knew nothing.

Adding your quote to say that your profile pic is either disturbingly brilliant, or brilliantly disturbing.

My theory before the game was that Eothas' death had been fatal for his original persona as a god of forgiveness and mercy, and that he would come back as an inversion of his original purpose: a "burned believer" if you will, except it's the God himself who literally got burned. Xoti's "Rebirth changes everyone, even a God" schtick reinforced this belief at first, but it quickly proved to be wrong.

In addition to her ramblings, as Yria said, the quest itself just comes out and says it.

"I've convinced Xoti to work with the animancers atop the Spire of the Soul-Seers in Neketaka in order to aid their research in creating an artificial rebirthing process. It is our best means for surviving once Eothas breaks the Wheel."

Considering her companion quest revolves around Neketaka and doesn't take very long to finish, there's a good chance you'll come across this spoiler before you've even touched Hasongo - or even the faction questlines.

• Like 2

In addition to her ramblings, as Yria said, the quest itself just comes out and says it.

"I've convinced Xoti to work with the animancers atop the Spire of the Soul-Seers in Neketaka in order to aid their research in creating an artificial rebirthing process. It is our best means for surviving once Eothas breaks the Wheel."

Considering her companion quest revolves around Neketaka and doesn't take very long to finish, there's a good chance you'll come across this spoiler before you've even touched Hasongo - or even the faction questlines.

Yup. It's the old "Sagani spoils Thaos" oversight all over again.

In general, there seems to be something really odd going on with Xoti's conversations, as this isn't the only time she mentions things that are either out of sequence or assume that you've talked to her about certain topics beforehand (e.g. her having nightmares).

On an unrelated note, you have an extraordinarily disturbing avatar, sir.

• Like 1

On an unrelated note, you have an extraordinarily disturbing avatar, sir.

Durance makes everything better...

• Like 2