Chanter/fighter, should i restart with paladin/fighter?

Im still not far in the game but it seems my troubadour/unbroken takes forever to cast his invocations even if the modal is active. I can get the 1st one fast enough but after that i get 1-2 cast at the most per fight. Seems to me that a paladin would have much more abilities to use per fight if it remains the same... Does it get better? 

I don't think Paladins have significantly more active abilities, Penetrating strike will be similar to FoD once you get it.  Perhaps you need to use brisk recitation (troubadour) so you can use more invocations?  Or alternatively try dual wielding accurate weapons (like rapiers) with skald.

Are you complaining about cast speed or number of chants? Chanters gain more chants during battle allowing you to cast more as battles wear on. But unlike pure casters, they cannot just unload 5-6 spells consecutively because it takes times to generate chants. Its more like a cipher in that way. The good news however, is you never run out of spells during combat unlike pure casters who have a limited number of casts.

If you are talking about cast speed, then all casters have the same issue with nukes, summons and debuffs. Paladin spells are no different. Buffs usually cast faster for everyone. To cast faster you need to increase dex, and control recovery speed by using lighter armors.

If soloing, the chanter summons are really helpful, otherwise I can see not wanting to bother with chanter.  The other invocations are pretty weak at low level and "running out of resources" isn't a big deal in a party since it never happens.  Chanter really shines at the end game because they have some really Over-Powered late game abilities.  In particular, they have an invocation that grants the "brilliance" inspiration.  This inspiration super-charges your fighter half because it grants you a nearly endless supply of the "discipline" power source.  Almost all of the fighter abilities are "instant cast", making it easy to continually use them over and over again.  You can just go back and forth using the powerful fighter "charge" ability while under the effects of that invocation.  The bad part is that you won't get it until level 19... and that is a long time to wait when other combinations attain their power peak much earlier.

Edited by Braven

Check second build in my Signature. I covered War Caller (fighter/chanter) and Herald (paladin/chanter) there and what you want is Devoted/Troubadour really. Even more for Paladin. Skald could ok for Fighter, but bad for Paladin. Troubadour is best when multiclass.

Check, there is everything there.

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1